Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Mixed Doubles Olympic Trials

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 7 of 10 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-05-22 08:31AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

This is the second news story I've seen quoting Morris. It feels like posturing. I would like to see an interview of Martin or Griffith. This team invested in this sport. If athletes invest, qualify, then get overlooked, the incentive is quashed. M/G will be scapegoats if chosen and fail. Anyone who has watched them or played them will know they are very smart and play fast and win most of their games. H/M are the golden pair (Homan not so much.) Morris is already going (Coach for Australia - irrelevant I guess.) If chosen and fail, it will be because of the stiff competition. I know those wanting a "famous" team have been tiptoeing around the CMDRS as if "well, it wasn't designed for this situation", but I call foul on that. This is exactly why ranking systems are created - to ensure objectivity. You know my choice. Earned.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-05-22 09:44AM
Frost is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frost Find more posts by Frost Add Frost to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frost
Knee-Slider

Morris is the Olympic Champion in mixed doubles - so why wouldn't he be the go to for media comment?

01-05-22 10:09PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
Mike Harris reported during one of the slam games commentary that he was told by Joe Polo that had Matt Hamilton made it to playoff at the mixed doubles tournament in 2018, Polo would've subbed for Hamilton during the early part of the men's tournament, to let Hamilton recover.

Mike Harris repeated this story in That Curling Show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJxb2I5dFcI&t=1h2m42s

01-07-22 06:11AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Ben Hebert had a valuable perspective on this issue. He and John Morris talked about it in the 7th end of the Walker vs Rocque round robin game of 2022 AB provincial.

https://youtu.be/oeZvNYwlz4s

Key points (I'm paraphrasing into my own words, these aren't exact quotes):
* Peterman/Gallant is mentioned first
* From personal experience as 2x Olympian, he knows that he wouldn't want his 4-person teammate play in mixed doubles in the same Olympics prior to the "main event"
* He claims Gushue is also the type of person that wouldn't want Gallant to double duty
* In order, he then mentions Walker/Muyres, Sahaidak/Lott, Martin/Griffith, and Homan/Morris
* CMDR is only a tool to get into the Canadian trials and championships, and teams aren't chasing points
* Bias aside, he thinks Morris would be the pick that would put the most fear into other competitors. Lots of people are going to be upset, no matter who gets picked, so we might as well upset those people that matter, e.g. Mouat, Eriksson, etc.
* Being selected to represent Canada adds tremendous pressure, more pressure than actually winning the trial, and he believes Morris would be the rare person that can handle it.

It should be said that Morris claims that mixed doubles system in Canada has some (unspecified) loose ends that needs to be addressed.

------------------------------------

On Hebert's last point, I believe Walker/Muyres, Sahaidak/Lott, and Morris/Park are the only mixed doubles teams that has ever been selected to represent Canada, since mixed doubles has been declared as an Olympic discipline.

I believe previously mixed doubles teams were selected from the 4-person mixed champions, but that was from the pre-Olympic era.

Last edited by curlingclips on 01-07-22 at 07:37AM

01-07-22 09:25AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Good analysis by Hebert. Except I dont think Mouat/Dodds are intimidated by Morris/Homan any more than anyone else.

01-07-22 10:11AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I like that Hebert articulated the downside of double duty from the 4-person team member perspective. Through Mike Harris, Joe Polo gave us a glimpse of what could've happen, but obviously there's a lot more going on behind the curtains.

If Eriksson reaches medal game in mixed doubles, he would have no rest before playing men's the next day against CHN. CHN was dead last at 2021 WMCC, so maybe SWE can finish off CHN quick, or maybe even bench Eriksson entirely.

USA wouldn't be so lucky, because their first men's game is against ROC. Glukhov beat Shuster decisively and finished round robin 2nd at 2021 WMCC, so USA will probably need as much Plys as they can get.

Dodds/Mouat would be relatively lucky, because they would have a rest day between mixed doubles medal game and their first men's/women's game.

//edit: based on quick review of video footage, I think Eriksson is slightly disadvantaged by the fact that his partner rarely sweeps, so he sweeps his own stones. By contrast, Persinger sweeps for Plys plenty.

Last edited by curlingclips on 01-07-22 at 11:29AM

01-07-22 09:41PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

The performance of Canada's best MD teams in the Qualico will be of crucial importance when the CC's 'high performance staff', the OtP and Canada's Olympic Committee get together to consider Canada's representative.

That's why, despite their top ranking, M/G's 9th place finish will most likely be their Waterloo and eliminate them from serious consideration early in the process.

01-08-22 12:16AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

Too many people sitting on the fence of whether someone can/should play both MD and 4 person for Canada.

My opinion is that an athlete (and yes, this means someone in very good physical condition) can medal in both MD and 4 person at an Olympics. But what could be done is different than what is ideal.

My opinion is that it’s not ideal for a 4 person team to have one of their members (a) playing a completely different format immediately prior to the 4 person Olympics, (b) physically and mentally exerting themselves in the week prior, and (c) effectively being away from the 4 person team in the 1-2 weeks prior to the biggest event of their lives.

You can’t on the one hand say how important practice and preparation and rest are, and on the other throw one athlete into 3 weeks straight of Olympic curling and expect optimal results.

So it’s a no-brainer decision to me why someone won’t be doing both for Canada.

01-08-22 10:52AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

In my opinion, the team dynamics and how they see mixed doubles is very different in Canada compared to most other curling nations.

Curling Canada set up the rules early on that you are not to double duty, and that for the Olympics, you must commit and dedicate yourself to the 4-person team as the higher priority.

That further reinforced the notion that mixed doubles had always been seen as lower priority in Canada, especially before it was introduction as an Olympic discipline.

For a while, Canada just picked a man and a woman from the champion 4-person mixed team to play mixed doubles at World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1hNa4IVrVU&t=1m7s (2010 interview with Mark & Heather-Smith Dacey)

Recall that Peterman/Gallant won the 2016 championship, against Crocker (Walker)/Walker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EtE6JymWMA

The team that ended up going to the World Championship that year was neither. The men, specifically, declined to become Team Canada, because they were committed to Team Gushue (a wise move at the time, because they did end up winning the Players' Championship).

I'm no expert in teamwork/sports psychology, but I would think that to suddenly push for double duty would be a surprise distraction that can wreak havoc into team dynamics, especially when Team Gushue involved.

The situation is quite different in, say USA. The final of the mixed doubles trial for 2018 was Hamilton/Hamilton vs Christensen/Shuster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CODsufqoeEQ

Regardless of who won that game, someone from Team Shuster was going to double duty, so it was perhaps considered an honor/privilege rather than a distraction, and the team would've been a lot more supportive and prepared.

01-08-22 10:56AM
bpm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bpm Click here to Send bpm a Private Message Find more posts by bpm Add bpm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpm
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think it's fairly obvious that athletes can successfully compete in multiple disciplines. It wouldn't be all that surprising, for example, to see Bruce Mouat go double gold in these Olympics. The negative impact on either event from someone playing both events has to be considered minimal.

But putting that argument aside for a second, let's remember that a decision was taken at the beginning of the qualifying cycle by Curling Canada to not allow this. And it should be noted that the cancellation of the trials event has absolutely zero impact on the logic they used in determining that rule.

How would the athletes who would otherwise have competed in the trials feel if Curling Canada decided to abandon that rule and choose Peterman/Gallant?

I personally don't care. However, it's a clear departure from a pre-determined qualification condition, and there isn't a reason that it has to happen. It would be a purposeful choice for Curling Canada to abandon one of their existing rules, and it would mean choosing a team that wouldn't have been eligible if the trials event had gone ahead.

Just as a matter of principle, I'm surprised this isn't coming up more in the various bits commentary we're hearing.

01-08-22 11:12AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by bpm
(1) I think it's fairly obvious that athletes can successfully compete in multiple disciplines.
(2) It wouldn't be all that surprising, for example, to see Bruce Mouat go double gold in these Olympics.
(3) The negative impact on either event from someone playing both events has to be considered minimal.

I agree on the first statement, subject to scrutiny of the playing schedule. I also agree on the second statement, because we're talking about Bruce Mouat. However, I'm not so sure about the third statement.

Has there been precedence that an athlete can compete in back-to-back mixed doubles and 4-person events with minimal negative impact?

Yes, Matt Hamilton won the men's gold medal, but he had days of rest (because he did not make playoff in mixed doubles).

Remember also that 2018 mixed doubles tournament only had 8 teams. 2022 will have 10 teams.

I hope the best for the double duty curlers, but continuous playing without rest is unprecedented. I'm afraid there will be negative impact, or god forbid, injuries.

01-08-22 11:50AM
Hack Weight is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Hack Weight Click here to Send Hack Weight a Private Message Find more posts by Hack Weight Add Hack Weight to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hack Weight
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by bpm

But putting that argument aside for a second, let's remember that a decision was taken at the beginning of the qualifying cycle by Curling Canada to not allow this. And it should be noted that the cancellation of the trials event has absolutely zero impact on the logic they used in determining that rule.

Yes this is a good point and surprising how many people have glossed over it when discussing who the team will be. It’s not going to be someone on a 4-person team. Heck if Peterman/Gallant were the team and god forbid caught Covid, that could spell the end for all 3 Canadian teams at the Olympics.

The signs continue, as they always have, to point to Morris/Homan (John/Ben on the AB broadcast, Kennedy’s wife on Twitter, Ontario’s Scotties announcement).

01-08-22 12:25PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Whether we like it or not, the 'one discipline' rule is in place and isn't going to be changed for this.

Found Herbert's and Morris's comments total political pandering. First off; inappropriate and distracting during what was supposed to be play by play and commentary of a provincial championship (its not an event about you John). Alberta curling should rake both over the coals just for that.

Second; it was obvious posturing by Morris to abuse the airtime in order to sell himself and Homan when there are two better, and higher ranked, teams ahead of them on the MD CTRS.

Also disingenuous on his part, and disrespectful to his fellow curlers IMO, to try and insinuate that the process is so flawed that he and Homan should just be anointed as MD reps.

People forget that Homan tanked at the last Olympics and that a previous gold by Morris is not a guarantee that he will repeat.

Yes, the CTRS MD was not designed to select a team but it does, regardless of its flaws, point out objectively who is currently performing the best and THAT is who we should be sending. If the other 2 teams can't, or won't, go then he can have the spot. But not till then.

But this is all a moot argument that happens with any sport where athletes are chosen subjectively instead of objectively. Look at the endless number of arguments if so-and-so is not added to the roster and team Canada gets silver or, gasp! God forbid, misses the medals altogether!

Its just a game people. Relax, send Martin/Griffiths and cheer them on.

01-08-22 01:48PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I have no horse in this race but it strikes me that the idea the points tells you who is best in this circumstance is obviously wrong given about 75% of the teams dont prioritize the discipline and just chase the trials. Did the current national champs even play much this fall?

01-08-22 02:36PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I have typed this elsewhere. Has anyone watched these team play? Usually there is banter, discussion, arguing?? (not really) in critical shot decisions. If you have watched Martin/Griffiths you will see that Martin sees everything. Is sharply succinct in making the calls and very fast. She is also a pistol shooter. This team plays at a rapid pace and wins most of their games. The game chemistry between these two is ideal. Both have tonnes of experience nationally (Griffith 6 Briers) and Martin, internationally and have been around the block - so the head games are less of a factor. It will be wrong if they are not selected to represent our country. I am very put off with the Morris posturing. gak

Last edited by nelski on 01-08-22 at 02:38PM

01-08-22 02:48PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
banter, discussion, arguing

If the goal is to send a team that has the best chance of medaling, none of those matter. Some teams may be more watchable/marketable/TV friendly/etc., but if the goal is to medal for Canada, then it shouldn't matter how they do it.

Homan/Morris does have a very unique dynamic, because they're childhood friends. Teammates that are closest in real life tend to have the most unique dynamic (for lack of better words).

Even Laing openly and loudly curses when playing with Jones ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9H5JnBwcX_Q&t=3m30s ), and those two have 2 children together, among other things.

01-08-22 02:59PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
I have typed this elsewhere. Has anyone watched these team play? Usually there is banter, discussion, arguing?? (not really) in critical shot decisions. If you have watched Martin/Griffiths you will see that Martin sees everything. Is sharply succinct in making the calls and very fast. She is also a pistol shooter. This team plays at a rapid pace and wins most of their games. The game chemistry between these two is ideal. Both have tonnes of experience nationally (Griffith 6 Briers) and Martin, internationally and have been around the block - so the head games are less of a factor. It will be wrong if they are not selected to represent our country. I am very put off with the Morris posturing. gak

Martin/Griffith would make excellent reps. Calm, cool, collected. Not in awe of the other curlers. Morris openly lobbying while he was supposed to be commenting on the game. Boo to Curling Canada to hiding behind own the podiums petticoats as an excuse to delay their decision

01-08-22 03:33PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Morris openly lobbying while he was supposed to be commenting on the game.

I didn't hear any lobbying from Morris at all. Hebert was vocal in saying Morris/Homan should go but Morris deflected and talked about how it was a tough decision and said that CC needs to clean up the mixed doubles process/points for next 4 years. At no time did I hear him say he should be the one going.

01-08-22 04:06PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
I didn't hear any lobbying from Morris at all

Thank you for accurately representing the facts!

Morris was not lobbying, and even if you think that he somehow conspired to lobby by proxy through Hebert, it doesn't make sense, because whoever makes the decision is not going to care what Hebert and Morris said for 6 buried minutes out of a 3+ hours of fun interactive chat live on YouTube.

01-08-22 06:21PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Thank you for accurately representing the facts!

Morris was not lobbying, and even if you think that he somehow conspired to lobby by proxy through Hebert, it doesn't make sense, because whoever makes the decision is not going to care what Hebert and Morris said for 6 buried minutes out of a 3+ hours of fun interactive chat live on YouTube.

You and hogged again are joking, right? Or perhaps not politically astute.

Openly calling out the ranking system as flawed and then gaslighting the CCA is a typical political maneuver.

Morris is no fool. He's two positions below the others on the CTRS MD and it's obvious he wants that spot. If he didn't, he'd be openly asserting that it should be Martin/Griffiths (who ironically is another former teammate).

As the reigning gold medalist and a popular curler who many think, albeit shortsightedly, should be the chosen one, all he has to do is plant a big seed of doubt in the ranking system and then let Hebert (who is a pal and a former teammate) make the statement that Morris should go and then he's good cop to Herbert's bad.

It's pretty smart but ultimately also transparent. And another solid reason for the ranking system to be the deciding factor this time out.

01-08-22 07:20PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

An interesting question would be what would Curling Canada have done if they had run the Trials and the lowest rank team got hot and won. Would they be sending that team or choosing a team they deemed more likely to win a medal? If they ignore the CTRS points and the team they send doesn't medal they've pretty much destroyed any credibility they had.

01-08-22 07:31PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
An interesting question would be what would Curling Canada have done if they had run the Trials and the lowest rank team got hot and won. Would they be sending that team or choosing a team they deemed more likely to win a medal? If they ignore the CTRS points and the team they send doesn't medal they've pretty much destroyed any credibility they had.

Credibility and Curling Canada is a good oxymoron. Letting Homan even compete for Ontario? Is that credible?

01-08-22 07:32PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13

If the event went ahead the winner would go regardless of point standings. I would like to think Canada would never pull a Scotland/GB and attempt to send their favourite instead of the winner.

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 01-08-22 at 07:35PM

01-08-22 07:58PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

So if we were in the same situation, no trials because it was cancelled, but Peterman Gallant were available would we be discussing who the representative would be.

01-09-22 02:04AM
HerCurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HerCurl Click here to Send HerCurl a Private Message Find more posts by HerCurl Add HerCurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HerCurl
Harvey Hacksmasher

Tough one. As to who are completely disrespectful of their female partners—Laing and Morris stand out like sore thumbs! Obviously Peterman/Gallant stand out, but likely won’t be picked due to crossover risk. Homan/Morris May seem an obvious choice, but her clear disgust at playing with him in the lead-up to 2018 Olympics, and her merciful 4-man team which meant she did not have to play with him—leading to the situation in which Kaitlyn did, but clearly hated everything about it except the medal—I truly believe if she were offered the choice of MD Olympics with Jonny Mo vs. Scottie’s with her team, she would punt Jonny Mo in a heartbeat. Too much risk associated with him in any event at any time. Martin/Griffiths? Why not? Einarson/Jacobs? Have never played together before. Martin’s/Griffiths looking a better choice the more I look at it.