Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > The Lore of Japanese Curling

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-08-22 09:30PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

If you'd to watch said Loco Solare vs Consadole skins match:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7WZK_rN1sI

I'd love to see an actual serious tournament with both the best men's and women's teams in the world to see how it would turn out.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-10-22 09:55AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

I wonder if the Hokkaido Bank Curling Classic will kick off the WCT season again? I remember it did for the last few seasons (not this one or the the last, when it was cancelled). Fun event to watch.

04-26-22 09:44PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

Quite a surprising result at the Chubu Region Championships last week. TM Karuizawa, skipped by Yusuke Morozumi, the skip of Japan's 2018 Olympic men's team, lost their semi-final match to a club team that they beat quite handily in the round robin, meaning that they will be unable to progress to Japan Nationals next month.

The men's and women's competitions were both won by the respective SC Karuizawa teams. I don't know much about the ladies SC team, but the men are skipped by Riku Yanagisawa and also feature the charismatic sweeper Tsuyoshi Yamaguchi.

The second place teams advance to a frantic wildcard play-in tournament with several runner-ups from other regions on the day before Nationals to try and secure the final spot.

05-05-22 05:31PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Why do the Japanese women's team at 2022 World Women's say "sodane"?

I could be wrong (please correct me if I am), but I thought these claims are the facts:

Claim 1. "sodane" is a Hokkaido dialect
Claim 2. 2022 World Women's Japanese team is Chubu Electric
Claim 3. Chubu region is not in Hokkaido

So what's going on?

05-05-22 07:42PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Slight difference in intonation.

"Soudane" is a very common way of saying "I agree" all over Japan.

The "SodaNEEE!" pronunciation that Loco Solare used up to the 2018 Olympics was pretty jarring to people outside of Hokkaido, and really stood out as a symbol of how this team was just a bunch of great friends having fun together (another being the halftime snack break, which casual fans likened to a picnic, and was given the name "mogumogu time" based on the name of the feeding service for animals at a zoo. At one point, broadcaster NHK was deluged with complaints over cutting away from halftime eating)

Unfortunately, they were all so thoroughly bludgeoned with post-Olympics requests to say the "SodaNEEE!" line at public events that they sealed it up, and now basically say the words in a regular manner like everyone else.

05-15-22 08:21AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Can anyone think of someone besides Yumi Suzuki that's medalled in every single major international curling event (i.e. World Championships and Olympics) that they've ever participated in, having competed in at least three?

05-15-22 01:04PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

We did a story on curling in Karuizawa in 2016, the city where the 1998 Winter Olympics was played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJVg5oybB2g

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

05-15-22 06:42PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
We did a story on curling in Karuizawa in 2016, the city where the 1998 Winter Olympics was played:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJVg5oybB2g

Thanks for the link. I remember watching this video around the time it came out, but it was interesting seeing it again now that I am much more familiar with the town and the Karuizawa Ice Park.

I don't know what hotel you stayed at during this time, but it looks like the closing party was held at Prince Karuizawa, so I'm glad that you got a chance to at least get a glimpse of that resort.

07-27-22 08:26AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Well, you knew they wouldn't all be on the market forever. Congratulations to Loco Solare third Chinami Yoshida, who married a former alpine skier yesterday, on her 31st birthday!

08-06-22 10:28PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

If you're really jonesing for some live curling, the first ever Japan Junior High School Nationals is now underway:

https://www.youtube.com/c/CurlingJapan

08-07-22 12:00AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Okay, this is something I've never seen before.

The games appear to be six ends long, and the teams are co-ed. In the game between Tokyo and Yamanashi, Tokyo was leading 6-3 going into the final end. Yamanashi had three in the house and needed only to put one more in with their final stone to win, but the final shot came up short, tying the game 6-6. At first, they tried to use draw shot challenge to determine the winner. Yamanashi went first, but didn't get their stone past the hogline. Tokyo followed, but their stone ended up short of the house.

Since neither team got into the house, the game was decided by rock paper scissors, and won by Tokyo.

Let that sink in. A curling match at a national championship was decided by rock paper scissors.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0LnRFC7lhc

So Tokyo won by the score of 6-6.

Last edited by hailstone on 08-07-22 at 07:54PM

09-01-22 09:04PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Algo Graphics Cup

The First Algo Graphics Cup is now underway.

Many of the matches can be seen live and recorded from the Hokkaido Curling Tour 2022 channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi...DV0U1hYyNFqr3cg

Yesterday's game between Loco Solare and Kitami Institute of Technology is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYiv2ZFHCRc

Also SC Karuizawa vs Yoshimura's Hokkaido Bank splinter team Fortius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpPy-HV-Br0

Tournament website (Japanese):

https://sites.google.com/view/agcc2...%83%BC%E3%83%A0

A highlight of this tournament will be Loco Solare playing sister team Loco Stella (with Mari Motohashi) for the first time in official competition. This game will take place today at 14:40 Japan time (about four and a half hours after this post):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unbavmw-mTY

(Hokkaido Bank and Team Aomori pulled out of this tournament with no explanation given, but after doing so, all teams started playing while wearing masks...)

Last edited by hailstone on 09-01-22 at 09:12PM

09-04-22 12:03AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

The University Elite Team, lead by the fourth and the skip from the Junior World Champions, defeated Loco Solare to advance to the finals, where they will face Fortius later today to determine the first Argo Graphics Cup champions.

Loco Solare and Loco Stella will have a rematch to determine third place.

09-04-22 04:09AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

With an open takeout on the last shot, the University Elite Team defeated Fortius to win their first championship.

Loco Solare defeated Loco Stella to take the bronze, and run their record over their sister team to 2-0.

09-08-22 12:25AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

The third Loco Solare vs Loco Stella match in a week will take place in the Advics Cup, about an hour after this posting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCW3wVFD6QE

09-11-22 02:42PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

The Hokkaido Curling Tour was a fun series of events to follow. Just have to wonder though, would it not be better to make these events open to anyone to register vs invitational? I think teams could only improve so much if they only face the same teams (I understand COVID plays a part too unfortunately). Great how each event was streamed instead of leaving it up to the teams so stream.

09-15-22 02:30AM
milobloom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for milobloom Click here to Send milobloom a Private Message Visit milobloom's homepage! Find more posts by milobloom Add milobloom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
milobloom
Administrator

Seemed like a good thread to share this information. Book recently written by a good friend of Wally Ursuliak. It shares much of the history of Wally's travels to Hokkaido, going back to 1980. Wally eventually received the Order of Japan.
https://wallysan.ca/

09-27-22 08:01PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone
In other news, the power of Team Fujisawa is giving Japan live coverage of The Players Championship for the first time ever!

https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ch/sphone/sports/0547/

We'll also be getting some coverage of the Boost National, although sadly it seems that we will not get the Fujisawa/Homan rematch.

https://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ch/contents/sports/0547/

10-08-22 01:17AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

JD Lind is no longer the national coach of Japan. He is now exclusively under contract to coach Team Fujisawa.

https://locosolare.jp/news/info/20221005_message_jd/

10-08-22 05:07PM
MichelleMac is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MichelleMac Find more posts by MichelleMac Add MichelleMac to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichelleMac
Knee-Slider

I would like to watch the match not only in Japan, but the entire upcoming series of matches. I'm already preparing for this and read more information about flights and tickets. I found the most profitable options for myself and I plan to use them not only during these matches, but also during my future business trips.

Last edited by MichelleMac on 10-09-22 at 12:56PM

10-09-22 07:50PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

A pretty great final between Edin and Gushue at the Boost National today. The reason I post that here is because this match was televised live on Japanese television, with Japanese commentators. And not even public broadcasting; TV Asahi actually paid for the rights to broadcast live a curling match in Canada between two non-Japanese male teams.

Are we looking at a future where, 20 years down the toad, Japan actually replaces Canada as the mecca of curling?

10-09-22 07:59PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Are we looking at a future where, 20 years down the toad, Japan actually replaces Canada as the mecca of curling?

Didn't you say earlier that curling isn't actually big as a sport in Japan, and that it's mostly idolatry of kawaii female curlers, primarily Loco Solare?

Did something change? Do Japanese actually start to care about the sport now?

Personally I think Korea might be ahead of Japan, but it's just a feeling and not based on actual insider info.

10-11-22 05:39AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Didn't you say earlier that curling isn't actually big as a sport in Japan, and that it's mostly idolatry of kawaii female curlers, primarily Loco Solare?

Did something change? Do Japanese actually start to care about the sport now?

Yes, I did say that, and no, nothing has changed, at least yet. I see this as a low budget experiment by TV Asahi to see if they can make more Japanese interested in curling as a whole.

It still won't be "big", but if they can make curling close to as big a niche as figure skating, then that might still be enough to take the mantle from Canada over time. Japan is a densely populated country, and it will only take a couple of thousand out of tens of millions of people in the Kanto area to pack an arena for an event that's very sparsely populated in Canada at the moment.

10-11-22 01:09PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
to take the mantle from Canada

I listened to some really old podcasts from 2010-ish, and Canadians were really worried about China at least on the women's side. It's all mostly due to Wang Bingyu, of course, but they really thought that curling popularity was about to explode in China. I first came into the sport in 2018, and I think by then the flame had already long gone for some reason that I never quite figured out.

The problem is even worse today with China withdrawing from 2022 Pan-Continental, which probably have huge repercussions for 2026.

I think before Japan can overtake Canada we probably need to figure out why China couldn't.
quote:
Japan is a densely populated country

South Korea is denser than Japan. It's also much younger than Japan in curling (KCF 1994 vs JCA 1985, Pyeongchang 2018 vs Nagano 1998), and if you disagree that Korea had surpassed Japan already, they're at least comparable today, despite Japan having a significant head start.

10-11-22 11:29PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Get back to me when Grand Slams are broadcast live on Korean television. Until then, Koreans have a passing interest in how Korean curling teams are doing, but no real interest in promoting the sport of curling itself.