Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-18-21 01:07PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

World championships

Since its coming in 2 weeks i figured id open a thread for mens worlds but it can be about all 3.

Mens worlds first, which seems a little weird

My quick thoughts:

Favorites are, as seemingly always lately canada and Sweden. Final could be this again

After some thought I think scotland will struggle again and once again miss the podium , 8n fact i predict they wont even be top 6

China will be the surprise the other way and have a top 6

I don't know what the situation in the US is, what kind of access shutter might have had but he's always in the mix and he's such a good shot maker its hard to write him off

Japan will do well too but not as well as 2 years ago . Top 6 but lose there this time

Germany is a good up and coming young team . Could go either way. Much like the Netherlands I'm not sure of lack of play time helps or hinders them. Totzek, the last rock thrower greatly reminds me of Andy Kapp. Like Andy the German hopes will ride on how well he does

Norway is struggling without ulsrud. Walstad isn't as strong as im surextheyd hoped. Good middle team that might sneak in if 5 or 6 losses is okay and ties are in their favor

Predicted podium:

Switzerland
Canada
Sweden
China

Top 6 but lose in playoffs

United States
Japan

I don't know who the mixed doubles teams are yet so can't say. Womens worlds ill wait until tje slams are done to see what kind of firm teams have but my preliminary top 6 are canada, south Korea, Scotland , United States, switzerland and sweden

Last edited by misty1 on 03-18-21 at 01:37PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-18-21 02:49PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Got to say I'm looking more forward to the Women's Worlds than the men's.

03-22-21 02:48PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

For those of us that have both Canadian TSN and the American channels, we've got quite the bounty coming up.

4/2 11:00 AM EST Canada v. Scotland TSN
4/2 9:00 PM EST Canada v. Japan TSN
4/3 11:00 AM EST Canada v. Denmark TSN
4/3 11:00 AM EST USA v. Sweeden Olympic Channel
4/3 4:00 PM EST USA v. Germany Olympic Channel
4/4 11:00 AM EST Canada v. Switzerland TSN
4/4 11:00 AM EST USA v. Japan Olympic Channel
4/4 4:00 PM EST Canada v. Netherlands TSN
4/5 11:00 AM EST Canada v. USA TSN
4/5 11:00 AM EST USA v. Canada NBC Sports Network
4/5 4:00 PM EST Canada v. South Korea TSN
4/6 4:00 PM EST Canada v. Italy TSN
4/6 9:00 PM EST Canada v. China TSN
4/7 4:00 PM EST Canada v. "Russia" TSN
4/7 9:00 PM EST Canada v. Sweeden TSN
4/8 4:00 PM EST USA v. Denmark Olympic Channel
4/8 9:00 PM EST USA v. Netherlands Olympic Channel
4/8 9:00 PM EST Canada v. Norway TSN
4/9 11:00 AM EST Canada v. Germany TSN

03-23-21 10:43AM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Oooh missed one. In the states, we also get Canada-Sweden on the Olympic Channel.

So 7 games on the US channels, six Shuster games and Canada-Sweden. TSN gets all thirteen Bottcher games.

All in all eighteen different televised games in eight days. TSN shows a game in all playoff draws usually, I don't know if NBC will show playoff games if they're not Shuster.

Also, in the past, when Worlds have been in USA or Canada, we've gotten either Kevin Martin or Pete Fenson calling the games with a random NBC guy, I'd be happy with either. When worlds aren't in North America, we get the World Curling Federation feed which is fine but very bland and generic. I don't know what we'll get this year.

03-25-21 02:12PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: Einarson's 5th Player at Worlds

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
After seeing Einarson favoring her right forearm after brushing incessantly for Gushue I wonder who she'll bring as her 5th player to Worlds. It can't be a normal spare like Krysten Karwacki. It has to be a superstar or near superstar level player.

Here's some names for speculation:

1. Laura Walker (can play 3rd or skip, adequate brusher)
2. Kaitlyn Lawes (vast international experience in juniors, womens, Olympics - possibly exposed as not the greatest last rock tosser during MD)
3. Sarah Wilkes (could step into Birchard's spot if Birchard had to replace Einarson, Val would stay put at 3rd)
4. Joanne Courtney (same as #3, except Courtney is more fierce and that may not play well with the low key and giggly Einarson/Sweeting combo.
5. Kadrian Sahaidak - wouldn't that be something?

I would NOT consider Jennifer Jones. Great and legendary player but a total misfit for Team Einarson!

Why would you even suggest bringing in a different player as 5th only to disrupt the team chemistry....insert Cheryl Bernard here. If anything were to happen to Kerri, there are 3 more experienced skips on that team able to step up easily.

03-25-21 09:50PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Well as Dawn is due to give birth very soon ML, I don’t think she’d spare! Keri looks fine tonight & she doesn’t have to sweep as much at skip.

Boy does,Cathy have cotton mouth tonight...really stumbling over her words.

Great shot by Keri in 3 to get 2! Kadriana won’t be a good spare as she doesn’t sweep.

03-25-21 11:38PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters
For those of us that have both Canadian TSN and the American channels, we've got quite the bounty coming up.

No viewing bounty in US. ESPN does not carry TSN coverage of world events. We get only those few games on NBC and Olympic Channel

Last edited by dbsdbs on 03-25-21 at 11:41PM

03-26-21 08:25PM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

The fields expanded to 14 teams this year probably due to last year's cancellations and the impact of this year on Olympic qualification. The benefitting countries are Japan (Matsumura) for men's and Estonia (Turmann) for women's with the former a bit of a dark horse given their 2019 4th place finish.

Other than Canada, the men's field is largely unchanged. The big loser is Chang-min Kim (4th in 2018) who was upset by Jeong in South Korea.

Much more change for the women's field with Denmark (Halse -> Dupont), Japan (Fujisawa -> Yoshimura), South Korea (Gim -> Eun-jung Kim) and Switzerland (Stern -> Tirinzoni) all crowning new champions for 2021. Going to miss the crazy sunshine team!

03-27-21 06:35PM
shirleyc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shirleyc Click here to Send shirleyc a Private Message Find more posts by shirleyc Add shirleyc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shirleyc
Harvey Hacksmasher

Men's World's

Is their seeding done for the Men's World's? If so, what is the order?

Thanks.

03-27-21 07:10PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Bulls Eye
The benefitting countries are Japan (Matsumura) for men's and Estonia (Turmann) for women's

It's misleading to say that JPN and EST benefited from the expansion. WCF explained the situation fully here:

https://worldcurling.org/2020/10/worlds-expansion/
"After this evaluation, it has been agreed that Italy will now be included in the [women's] 2021, while China will become the 14th team in the [men's] 2021."

Long story short: original plan is to have 13 women's teams in 2021 with ITA out and EST in. However, 2020 was canceled, WCF decided it's fair to give ITA a chance by including them in 2021.

So technically the benefitting country from the 2021 expansion is ITA, not EST. EST earned their way into the original 13 participating countries in 2021 entirely on their own merit.

Similarly, on the men's side, the benefitting country is CHN, not JPN. WCF says so very explicitly in the same press release.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-27-21 at 07:17PM

03-27-21 07:22PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Bulls Eye
Going to miss the crazy sunshine team!

I did some research into Japanese curling lore. I could be wrong, but I think Team Aomori is the original sunshine team (2005). Loco Solare came later (2010).

Team Yoshimura can trace its lineage to Team Aomori. (So can Loco Solare, via Mari Motohashi, but that's a much weaker connection).

So, in a way, you're not going to miss the crazy sunshine team. You're going to get version 2.0 of the original sunshine team.

References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aomori_Curling_Club
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokoro_Curling_Club
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayaka_Yoshimura

Keep in mind:
Yumie Hayashi = Yumie Funayama
Ayumi Ogasawara = Ayumi Onodera = Kaho Onodera's sister = Ryoji Onodera's daughter

Fun fact: If you research into Loco Solare, you'd realize that the current skip Satsuki Fujisawa used to be their rival!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBkN4ZQpWwY

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-27-21 at 07:53PM

03-28-21 08:52AM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by dbsdbs

No viewing bounty in US. ESPN does not carry TSN coverage of world events. We get only those few games on NBC and Olympic Channel

With a VPN I had no problem subscribing to TSN on my computer, and have had good luck for the most part on the devices I have activating that subscription to watch.

I set it up years ago, I mean the downloading of the TSN GO app, perhaps it is region locked for download now? Maybe I’m lucky enough to have a setup that can’t be downloaded now?

I hope others on the us can get the same setup. It’s pretty nice for one month a year.

If you can’t get TSN, looks like world curling fed. is televising a match or two each draw, so a VPN should let you get by that region blocking and watch them all on YouTube.

03-29-21 10:53PM
JDR is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JDR Find more posts by JDR Add JDR to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JDR
Harvey Hacksmasher

ESPN+ app

quote:
With a VPN I had no problem subscribing to TSN on my computer, and have had good luck for the most part on the devices I have activating that subscription to watch.

I set it up years ago, I mean the downloading of the TSN GO app, perhaps it is region locked for download now? Maybe I’m lucky enough to have a setup that can’t be downloaded now?

I hope others on the us can get the same setup. It’s pretty nice for one month a year.

If you can’t get TSN, looks like world curling fed. is televising a match or two each draw, so a VPN should let you get by that region blocking and watch them all on YouTube.

Another streaming option in the US is the ESPN+ app. I believe if you have a cable subscription (it actually works with my YouTube TV and internet provider, Xfinity) you can watch the games which are aired on TSN in Canada. That is how I've been watching all of the Calgary bubble events and it works ok. You can even watch replays if you miss the live event.

03-30-21 01:41AM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

It's misleading to say that JPN and EST benefited from the expansion. WCF explained the situation fully here:

https://worldcurling.org/2020/10/worlds-expansion/
"After this evaluation, it has been agreed that Italy will now be included in the [women's] 2021, while China will become the 14th team in the [men's] 2021."

Long story short: original plan is to have 13 women's teams in 2021 with ITA out and EST in. However, 2020 was canceled, WCF decided it's fair to give ITA a chance by including them in 2021.

So technically the benefitting country from the 2021 expansion is ITA, not EST. EST earned their way into the original 13 participating countries in 2021 entirely on their own merit.

Similarly, on the men's side, the benefitting country is CHN, not JPN. WCF says so very explicitly in the same press release.

Thanks for clarifying; I stand corrected.

From an Olympic qualification perspective, the expansion helps those teams that would have otherwise only participated in one of the two world championships if 2020 had taken place. This would be JPN for the men and both EST and ITA for the women. It doesn't matter to CHN as they are hosts.

03-30-21 01:52AM
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

I did some research into Japanese curling lore. I could be wrong, but I think Team Aomori is the original sunshine team (2005). Loco Solare came later (2010).

Team Yoshimura can trace its lineage to Team Aomori. (So can Loco Solare, via Mari Motohashi, but that's a much weaker connection).

So, in a way, you're not going to miss the crazy sunshine team. You're going to get version 2.0 of the original sunshine team.

References:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aomori_Curling_Club
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokoro_Curling_Club
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayaka_Yoshimura

Keep in mind:
Yumie Hayashi = Yumie Funayama
Ayumi Ogasawara = Ayumi Onodera = Kaho Onodera's sister = Ryoji Onodera's daughter

Fun fact: If you research into Loco Solare, you'd realize that the current skip Satsuki Fujisawa used to be their rival!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBkN4ZQpWwY

Yes, agree Loco Solare really became a powerhouse when Fujisawa joined the team in 2015. Funny how Japanese teams like to use Latin names. The current champs are team Hokkaido Bank Fortius.

03-30-21 08:47AM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Re: ESPN+ app

quote:
Originally posted by JDR
Another streaming option in the US is the ESPN+ app. I believe if you have a cable subscription (it actually works with my YouTube TV and internet provider, Xfinity) you can watch the games which are aired on TSN in Canada. That is how I've been watching all of the Calgary bubble events and it works ok. You can even watch replays if you miss the live event.
Oh certainly - but you won't get the World Championships on ESPN+, because NBC has the rights to broadcast them in the US. So if you want to watch them you'll be stuck with only the NBC Sports and Olympic Channels (which is also NBC) . ESPN+ will be blacked out. We get the Brier and Scotties and Mixed Doubles because there are no US rights to the Canadian national championships sold by Curling Canada.

Fortunately/Unfortunately that isn't true for Worlds, so you gotta get sneaky.

NBC plays the international feed - but the good news is we will be getting Kevin Martin on the international feed and he's pretty wonderful.

03-30-21 10:23AM
dmatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dmatch Find more posts by dmatch Add dmatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmatch
Harvey Hacksmasher

The Season of Champions Curling (TSN) is always listed as being on ESPN3 in the schedule from https://www.espn.com/watch/. That is where I have been watching it. Perhaps ESPN+ is being confused with ESPN3?

EDIT: I see that the reference to ESPN+ was the app not the subscription service. I don't know what is available thru the app. Can you watch ESPN3 without a subscription to ESPN by subscribing to ESPN+ only?

Last edited by dmatch on 03-30-21 at 10:36AM

03-30-21 11:16AM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

How does bubble work

Anyone know the details of the bubble? Saw pictures of some teams flying in last week but some others (Retornaz and Van Dorp) curled in Scotland this past weekend so will only be arriving a couple of days before the event starts. Do they just get tested on arrival or do they have to wait for ice time until their tests are verified?

03-30-21 11:23AM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

Maybe two weeks ago

Sorry looks like I interpreted the results wrong..the Scotland spiel was a week ago. Still would like to know how the bubble works.

03-30-21 01:50PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by dmatch
The Season of Champions Curling (TSN) is always listed as being on ESPN3 in the schedule from https://www.espn.com/watch/. That is where I have been watching it. Perhaps ESPN+ is being confused with ESPN3?

EDIT: I see that the reference to ESPN+ was the app not the subscription service. I don't know what is available thru the app. Can you watch ESPN3 without a subscription to ESPN by subscribing to ESPN+ only?

Oh I have ESPN3 and ESPN+ and mix them up a lot.

It's not that ESPN doesn't carry Season of Champions coverage - they do, they're just legally obligated not to show events that other entities have paid for. In this case, NBC has paid for USA broadcast rights to the Worlds, so in the past TSN coverage of worlds is blacked out here. This includes Curling Canada region blocking their YouTube videos of worlds while the event is happening.

I mean, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure NBC didn't buy the rights to this expecting ESPN to stream it. I mean one of the games NBC is televising is Canada-Sweden. There's no way they'd be on board with ESPN streaming it simultaneously to the United States.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. ESPN+/ESPN3 is much easier than getting a VPN to hide you like you're in Canada and using TSN or using the VPN to be in a place like Mexico where WorldCurling.org isn't region blocked on YouTube.

Last edited by cnpeters on 03-30-21 at 01:54PM

03-30-21 06:30PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Re: How does bubble work

quote:
Originally posted by Curlwalker
Anyone know the details of the bubble? Saw pictures of some teams flying in last week but some others (Retornaz and Van Dorp) curled in Scotland this past weekend so will only be arriving a couple of days before the event starts. Do they just get tested on arrival or do they have to wait for ice time until their tests are verified?

I think they have to wait for their tests to get verified but interesting they don’t have to do the 14 day quarantine or even a 7 day one...

03-30-21 06:57PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

If it's like the brier, they all did a pre-event quarantine at home before the event. Had proof of a negative test before they travel there. Immediate test off the plane, and then 3 straight days of tests.
Or something very similar to above.

03-30-21 07:49PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
If it's like the brier, they all did a pre-event quarantine at home before the event. Had proof of a negative test before they travel there. Immediate test off the plane, and then 3 straight days of tests.
Or something very similar to above.

Not bad for an international visitor...

03-30-21 09:18PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

quote:
Oh I have ESPN3 and ESPN+ and mix them up a lot.

It's not that ESPN doesn't carry Season of Champions coverage - they do, they're just legally obligated not to show events that other entities have paid for. In this case, NBC has paid for USA broadcast rights to the Worlds, so in the past TSN coverage of worlds is blacked out here. This includes Curling Canada region blocking their YouTube videos of worlds while the event is happening.

I mean, I hope I'm wrong, but I'm quite sure NBC didn't buy the rights to this expecting ESPN to stream it. I mean one of the games NBC is televising is Canada-Sweden. There's no way they'd be on board with ESPN streaming it simultaneously to the United States.

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong. ESPN+/ESPN3 is much easier than getting a VPN to hide you like you're in Canada and using TSN or using the VPN to be in a place like Mexico where WorldCurling.org isn't region blocked on YouTube.

You’re not wrong. ESPN3 and ESPN+ will not have the world championships. NBC has exclusive broadcast rights in the USA.

03-30-21 09:50PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler
You’re not wrong. ESPN3 and ESPN+ will not have the world championships. NBC has exclusive broadcast rights in the USA.

Will they do their own commentary, or are they just going to broadcast whatever WCF produces?

I know in the past NBC did their own commentary, usually with Kevin Martin, but I'm not sure what they'll do this time.

Mike Harris says that Kevin Martin (among others) will work with him for WCF, not NBC.

https://twitter.com/mikeharriscurls...294049821384705