Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Manitoba curling Hall of Fame

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-07-20 07:01AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Manitoba curling Hall of Fame

from the Brandon Sun:

Manitoba Curling Hall of Fame unveils its 2020 inductees

Former Brandonite Resby Coutts highlights the 2020 class of Manitoba Curling Hall of Fame inductees, being inducted as a builder on Monday.

Coutts, the former chairman of Curling Canada and the president of CurlManitoba has been involved in the sport for 50 years. Coutts served on the executive of the Wheat City Men’s Curling Club, including a year as president.

He was on the CurlManitoba board of directors from 2010 to 2015 and was the first Curl-Manitoba president to serve consecutive terms since the first presidency of JB Mather in 1888 and 1889.

Coutts began his broadcasting career in 1982, doing playby- play coverage of Manitoba teams in the 1982 Brandon Brier. He even founded his own curling newspaper, The Curler, which was printed from 1988 to 2002. Coutts was the host of a one-hour weekly radio show on CFRW 1290 Winnipeg for 15 years.

Coutts was previously inducted into the Westman Millennium Curling Wall of Fame in 2000 and the Canadian Curling Hall of Fame in 2019.

Coutts is joined by curlers Vic Peters, Karen Purdy and Chris Neufeld. The teams inducted include Darcy Kirkness’s Canadian junior women’s champion team from 1984 and the 2011 Jeff Stoughton world champion team. Ernie Oliver was inducted as an innovator.

Peters won three Manitoba championships, a Brier

title a world bronze medal and a Manitoba senior men’s championship during his career from 1982 to 2012. Peters played in 21 provincial championships and only had a losing record twice. He is fifth all-time in provincial men’s championships games played with 133. His 92 wins ranks fourth all-time.

Peters died at the age of 61 in 2016.

Neufeld, the second on Peters’ championship teams, had career accomplishments that mirrored his longtime skip. Neufeld went on to coach following his playing career, coaching sons BJ and Denni as members of Mike McEwen’s team at six provincial championships between 2010 and 2018. Neufeld was previously inducted into the Manitoba curling hall as a part of Peters’ 1992-93 team.

Purdy won Manitoba junior, mixed and three Scotties Tournament of Hearts Championships as well as a Canada Games gold medal between 1989 and 1995.

Oliver is being inducted as the key cog in the establishment of two-person stick curling in the province. Oliver won five Manitoba two-person stick titles and the Assiniboine Memorial Curling Club has named their season opening stick bonspiel the Ernie Oliver Stick Spiel in his honour.

The induction banquet takes place Sunday,May 3 at the Canad Inns Polo Park in Winnipeg.

» The Brandon Sun

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-08-20 08:58AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Resby replies:

Coutts reflects on curling career with Hall of Fame nod

At the tender age of seven, Resby Coutts threw his first rock at a one-sheet curling rink inElva, located in the deep southwestern corner of Manitoba.

From there, a love of the game was ignited for Coutts. On Monday, the 70-year-old was inducted into the Manitoba Curling Hall of Fame on Monday as a builder.

“I learned to curl and I played hockey as a kid as well, but hockey, it didn’t resonate with me the way curling did,” the former Brandonite said in a phone interview from Winnipeg.

Coutts was able to find a sense of calmness when he was playing the roaring game.

“Right from the very start it was going to be my game and I’ve always been at peace on the curling ice,” he said. “I sincerely mean that. When you’re a competitive player, and I thought I was at one time, it’s a different kind of peace. It’s that whole competitive thing and all the rest of it.”

The time out on the ice with friends was what Coutts really appreciated.

“When you’re out on the curling ice for that two-hour period, the rest of the world doesn’t matter,” Coutts said.

“Every person in their lifetime goes through ups and downs … and things that are challenging and during those times that two hours on the curling ice with friends, I genuinely mean it when I say it, I just find it a place of peace.”

Coutts’s list of accomplishments in the sport of curling could take up an entire page of this sports section. What Coutts hasn’t done is probably a shorter list.

He was a member of the Manitoba Curling Association council for a three-year term in the mid-1990s and was a part of the MCA and Manitoba Ladies Curling Association amalgamation in 2000.

“That was a very important step, that was a necessary step in the history of Manitoba curling,” Coutts said.

Later, he served as the president of the CurlManitoba board of directors, becoming the first two-term president of the organization since, get this, J.B. Mather served two in 1888-89. He also served as the chair of the Canadian curling board in 2017-18. Coutts represented Canada at the World Curling Federation’s annual and semi-annual meetings for three years.

As president, he was able to place his mark on the governance model of CurlManitoba, which is still in use today.

“When you use that term governance model people’s eyes tend to cloud over and they say ‘How can you get excited about that?’” Coutts said. “And yet, organizations, if they are going to function to serve their constituents, need to be properly governed.”

Coutts, who began his broadcasting career in 1982, was able to parlay his experience working in media as president of CurlManitoba.

Coutts hosted radio shows and did play-by-play for various tournaments. He also established a curling newspaper called The Curler, which was printed from 1988 to 2002.

“I suppose I’m proudest of the fact that what skill I may have as a writer overlapped from the journalism side into the volunteer side that I could help write documents that were perhaps a little simpler,” he said.

Coutts was quick to say that he was not the sole reason for his success as a president.

“You have to say no one individual accomplishes that stuff alone, it is always the group,” he

said. “It’s always the committee. I think I did have the writing skill to help make some of that happen.”

Coutts was inducted into the Canadian Curling Hall of Fame in 2019 but was honoured to be included in his home province’s Hall.

“To know that people think I’ve had a positive impact on the sport is really just a wonderful compliment,” he said.

“To be included with so many names of so many people that I admire and respect, both curlers and builders, to be included with them is a wonderful honour.”

Coutts ended his term with the Canadian Curling Association at the end of September and from there he said he was “disengaged” from the sport for a couple of months. But, Coutts couldn’t stay away from the game for long.

He became involved with the Bob Picken Memorial Bonspiel held in Winnipeg, the money raised from that tournament helped benefit the Riverview Curling Club last year. Coutts also started volunteering with the Royal Manitoba Theatre Centre in promoting their new play the “New Canadian Curling Club.”

This past weekend at the Manitoba junior provincial championships in Dauphin, Coutts was the master of ceremonies.

Coutts quipped that he would like to be a part of the 100th anniversary of the Manitoba men’s provincial championships in 2025. “I’ve been very involved with the Manitoba Curling Hall of Fame and Museum and honestly as a guy gets on in years sometimes that history is what really matters to me,” he said.

With the curling rink that Coutts got his start in now gone, he said he’d like to do more research about one- and two-sheet curling rinks in rural Manitoba.

“It seems to me that someone like me could have a lot of fun tramping around the province finding out where all the curling rinks were,” he said.

“It’s one of those things, does it really matter? Not a darn bit, yet I think it would be an indication of part of the early settlement of our province if you could identify all those one- and two-sheet curling rinks that were there.”

In other words, Coutts isn’t done with curling.

“It does not look like I’m going to be walking away from the sport anytime soon,” he said.

EXTRA ENDS: The Swan Lake Curling Club is hosting an open bonspiel Jan. 24-26. Cost is $120 per team, entries can be sent to Christine at cgundrum15@hotmail. com. Deadline is Jan. 22 … The Neepawa Curling Club is hosting a men’s spiel Jan. 24-26, entries are $160 which includes a banquet. Contact Jack Follows at 204-476-5327 … The Brandon Curling Club is hosting the 39th annual Silver Belles Bonspiel Feb. 12-13. Cost is $180 per team, entries can be sent to Edith Easton at eeaston@mymts.net. Deadline is Feb. 3.

(Matt Goerzen/The Brandon Sun)

01-10-20 03:36AM
Culligan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Culligan Find more posts by Culligan Add Culligan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Culligan
Knee-Slider

So many accomplished players in this thread. It's almost impossible to choose.