Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2022 World Junior Curling Championships

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-20-22 03:36PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
they've always been a country that had 1 very good team

This was deliberate. Niklas Edin himself explained how, in forming his super team, they are kind of destroying Swedish curling, but it's a necessary evil if success is important, which it is because of how little funding there is to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4THosybUhp4&t=1h13m50s

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-20-22 03:43PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

This was deliberate. Niklas Edin himself explained how, in forming his super team, they are kind of destroying Swedish curling, but it's a necessary evil if success is important, which it is because of how little funding there is to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4THosybUhp4&t=1h13m50s

That really doesn't help with my opinion of him. Actually that kind of paisses me off

05-20-22 03:58PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
That really doesn't help with my opinion of him. Actually that kind of paisses me off

He only speaks the truth. Skips forming super teams to concentrate talent into fewer teams is happening regardless of whether he says it out loud or not.

There are many examples even just in Canada. Tracy Fleury joining forces with Rachel Homan, Jill Brothers abandoning Nova Scotia to play with Andrea Crawford out of New Brunswick, etc.

05-20-22 04:04PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

American ladies had a tough go of it against Norway this afternoon, hopefully they’ll bounce back for the semis against Japan.

Bad news for the Canadian women, 9th place sends Canada to relegation.

05-20-22 05:10PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler
American ladies had a tough go of it against Norway this afternoon, hopefully they’ll bounce back for the semis against Japan.

I'm aware of that I'm just not a fan of it

05-20-22 05:12PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler

Yep. Something I never thought I'd see. It's possible canada will miss worlds next year. You wouldn't think so but you didn't think they'd end up in B either.

05-20-22 05:46PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

I wonder what happened to the Canadian women?

05-20-22 07:54PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

DSC has become very important in women's curling. It decided playoff participants in the Olympics, what country got a bye in the playoffs at worlds, and now Switzerland and Latvia have both been eliminated from junior worlds based solely on pre-match draws to the button.

Also worth noting that Canada has been penalized by their DSC performance in all three of these tournaments (sheesh, I sound like curlingclips now...)

05-20-22 08:16PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone
eliminated from junior worlds based solely on pre-match draws to the button

In 2020 World Junior Men's, SUI eliminated SWE and RUS via DSC. This was the earliest example of DSC elimination in WCF that I've found (if y'all are aware of an earlier example, please share!)

2019 World Men's was also interesting. CAN got dropped to #3 due to DSC, and had to play the 3v6 game, but when CAN reached the semifinal to play against #2 SUI, lower ranked CAN had LSFE due to H2H win in round robin. It disproves the myth in curling that the higher ranked team in playoff gets the hammer at the start of the game. That is simply not true, and there has been a few counterexamples since (e.g. at 2022 Alberta Scotties, #1 Laura Walker gets bye to final, but #2 Casey Scheidegger started the game with hammer).

So however important y'all think the DSC is, winning games is still more important.

Last edited by curlingclips on 05-20-22 at 08:41PM

05-20-22 10:00PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

X

Last edited by southerncurler on 05-21-22 at 06:52AM

05-21-22 02:12AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

@hailstone

We've deleted the recent posts commenting on player appearance.

Body shape does no indicate health and/or fitness level as many athletes face other challenge at the same time.

So without knowing these things, you've just commenting on appearance and thus, not acceptable.

This team beat Canada's best and has been a strong team for some time. At this level they know what they can improve and achieve to be better and are well coached in these regards and considering this isn't the athletes only sporting endeavours, you should retract the "un-athletic" comments.

This is not the 100-yard dash. That was just a terrible example to start with.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

05-21-22 03:51AM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

That is not what I said, but there is obviously no point in carrying on with this here any further.

05-21-22 05:58AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I will say this was without question the weakest junnior field in decades. Youd have to gonback to 2004 to find one worse. Pretty shocking that in this kind of field Canada finished 9th

05-21-22 11:47AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Last time, the 2020 women's final was KOR vs CAN. This time, both KOR and CAN women are relegated to B division. Shocking indeed.

05-21-22 04:29PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Always a little less enjoyable when a win comes as the result of a poor shot by the opposition. But, a win is a win. Congratulations Japan!

About 3 hours to take a nap before Japan Nationals and begin...

05-22-22 02:34AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

I just realized that the alternate/third for Japan's team, Yuina Miura, is (was?) the skip of the team that SC Karuizawa beat in the finals of junior nationals to get here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR9qRT5rjKw

I wonder how Team Jones would have done in the Olympics if they had brought Tracy Fluery with them...

05-22-22 01:23PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I wonder how Team Jones would have done in the Olympics if they had brought Tracy Fluery with them...

I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but I don't think Team Canada has ever benched their skip, ever. Jennifer Jones is the greatest female Canadian skip of all time, so I don't think they would've set the precedence with her.

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-s-greates...story-1.1253749

Tracy Fleury herself admitted that she's not much of a sweeper, so I'm not sure how valuable she'll be as an alternate. Besides, Team Jones already declared that they were a 5-person team with Lisa Weagle, so their fifth at the Olympics was always going to be her.

05-22-22 02:37PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but I don't think Team Canada has ever benched their skip, ever. Jennifer Jones is the greatest female Canadian skip of all time, so I don't think they would've set the precedence with her.

https://www.tsn.ca/canada-s-greates...story-1.1253749

Tracy Fleury herself admitted that she's not much of a sweeper, so I'm not sure how valuable she'll be as an alternate. Besides, Team Jones already declared that they were a 5-person team with Lisa Weagle, so their fifth at the Olympics was always going to be her.

All the years I’ve watched curling I don’t ever recall on any team Canada a player being benched. The only time the alternate plays is due to sickness, injury or the score is out of hand before the minimum ends have been played.

05-22-22 03:12PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
All the years I’ve watched curling I don’t ever recall on any team Canada a player being benched.

Depending on what being "benched" means, it has happened.

At 2018 World Men's, Geoff Walker sat on the bench from the very beginning of the game, and Tom Sallows played in his place instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7gZKqXRf4o&t=2m2s

English is not my first language, so maybe there's more connotation to a player being "benched" than simply that player sitting on the bench instead of playing in the game. I'm not being pedantic, I'm just using the word in a straightforward neutral way, which I acknowledge could be the "wrong" way to use that word. In any case, I mean absolutely no disrespect towards Geoff Walker.

Last edited by curlingclips on 05-22-22 at 03:15PM

05-22-22 04:41PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

We’ve had this discussion before. I’ll use hockey as an example of benching.
If a player makes a bad defensive play to allow a goal or takes a dumb penalty, the coach will bench them. Meaning he sits at the end of the bench and does not play, coach’s decision.
In curling, having someone replace you due to illness or injury or play later ends when the game is out of hand, is not benching.
Team canada has never benched a curler due to bad play or missed shots.

05-22-22 05:24PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:

I'd love to be proven wrong on this, but I don't think Team Canada has ever benched their skip, ever.

And it didn't happen here either. Miura came in to play third, and she swapped in for the third, not the skip.

So the scenario I was talking about was more like having Fluery be available as a resource for Jones, not as a replacement skip.

05-22-22 09:03PM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Finally figured out the alternate situation for Japan. The alternate for the junior team that won junior nationals is mainly the skip/third for the SC Karuizawa ladies team now particiating at the Japan Nationals tournament. Obviously she couldn't be both places at once, so after junior worlds was delayed to a date that conflicted with Japan Nationals, the offer was made to the Nayori Association team skip to join on for world's. So I'm glad there was nothing nefarious involved. I imagine the decision to swap her on the ice for Eri Ogihara for most of the tournament was 100% that of the coach.

The Japan junior ladies became just the second Asian team to win a gold medal at any world's competition after the 2017 South Korea junior men's team, and the first to do so while not being the host nation.

05-22-22 11:40PM
nordicanuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nordicanuck Find more posts by nordicanuck Add nordicanuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nordicanuck
Knee-Slider

quote:

The Japan junior ladies became just the second Asian team to win a gold medal at any world's competition after the 2017 South Korea junior men's team, and the first to do so while not being the host nation.

+ China (Bingyu Wang) won the 2009 Women's Worlds, in South Korea

Last edited by nordicanuck on 05-22-22 at 11:44PM

05-23-22 12:11AM
hailstone
Swing Artist

Unhappy

quote:
Originally posted by nordicanuck

+ China (Bingyu Wang) won the 2009 Women's Worlds, in South Korea

Thanks for the correction. I just assumed that it had never happened in senior competition, so didn't even bother scanning Wikipedia to confirm.

05-23-22 01:17PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:

I don't think they'd be allowed to pick Fleury even if they wanted to. For 2018 olympics Curl Canada mandated that any 5th player must have international experience which is why Cheryl Bernard became the 5th for Homan. Don't know if they rescinded that silly rule yet. but if they haven't then Fleury would be out.