Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > What happens when you run out of time in Brier/Scotties?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-12-22 11:42AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

What happens when you run out of time in Brier/Scotties?

I know what happens in WCF competitions (if you run out of time, you forfeit the game, you get an L on the scoreboard and the opposition gets a W), but what happens at the Brier/Scotties?

Has it ever happened before that a team ran out of time at a Brier/Scotties?

I realize that the answer may depend on which era we're talking about, so feel free to elaborate. Preferably I would like to see references where we can verify the claims.

Thanks in advance.

------------------

A related question is this: is there a sanctioning body that lets the game continues on as basically a one-team game? (i.e. the team whose clock did not run out keeps playing unopposed, and does not win until they can outscore the team whose clock ran out).

----------------------

//edit: https://i.imgur.com/cadY61U.jpg

Last edited by curlingclips on 01-13-22 at 09:56AM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-12-22 12:22PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Their entire rule book is online: https://www.curling.ca/about-curlin...r-general-play/. For general play there is no time.

At the Scotties/Brier if you run out the other team gets to keep throwing their rocks until end of game. I don’t see the rule book for officiated play online, but if you email them they will send it assuming it exists still. Not sure about 2022 since it seems in flux.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 01-12-22 at 12:31PM

01-12-22 12:32PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
the rule book for officiated play

This would be one place to look, but I also wouldn't be surprised if the Brier/Scotties have their own rule books.

I looked into official media guides, but could not find a definitive answer.

Here's 2021 pre-trial media guide. Thinking time is on page 7. No penalty mentioned.
https://www.curling.ca/files/2021/1...dia-guide-3.pdf

Here's 2021 Brier media guide. Thinking time is on page 6. No penalty mentioned.
https://www.curling.ca/files/2021/0...-guide-web4.pdf

Here's 2021 Scotties media guide. Thinking time is on page 6. No penalty mentioned.
https://www.curling.ca/files/2021/0...dia-guide-1.pdf

Last edited by curlingclips on 01-12-22 at 12:38PM

01-12-22 12:42PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

In Canada if you run out of time you don’t automatically lose. You can no longer throw any remaining rocks. For example if you run out of time with 2 rocks left, you can’t throw them but your opposing team can continue to throw theirs in order to finish off the game. I don’t have the link but it’s somewhere in the cc rule book.

01-12-22 12:55PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Have both teams ever run out of time before the finish? Is that eventuality accounted for in the rules?

01-12-22 01:02PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I don’t ever recall both teams running out of rocks. But if they did the rule says can’t continue to throw so both teams would stop. The end would be over and scored on where the rocks in play lay

01-12-22 01:07PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

John Cullen wrote to me on Twitter that Kelley Law had a famous incident where she ran out of time, possibly at a grand slam. Does anyone know more about this incident? I'd love to dig up the video if it exists.

//edit: apparently it was at the 2001 JVC TSN Skins game in Royal City CC (Kelley Law's home club).

* This was playing time, not thinking time.
* Law basically also ran out of time during the semi, but TSN swept it under the rug.
* Law ran out of time again in the final. This time TSN couldn't sweep it under the rug due to scheduling conflict. They had to terminate the game on schedule, so Law lost the final to Middaugh.

Last edited by curlingclips on 01-12-22 at 03:14PM

01-12-22 01:28PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Supposedly there's a lot of Canadian curlers in this forum, right? Someone has got to have the rule book lying around somewhere, right? Can you take a photo and post it somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

01-12-22 01:42PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

You need someone who has the rule book for these specific events, though. Why impose on someone to dig that out and photo it when you could send a couple emails right to CC itself? The worst that can happen is they don’t respond.

I remember Guy Hemings ran out of time once back at the Brier in the early aughts.

01-12-22 02:19PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I found a semi-official source, which supposedly cites Rules for Officiated Play 2012-2014.

https://peicurling.com/wp-content/u...inking-Time.pdf

This corroborates the "you stop throwing, but you don't lose until the opposition outscores you" philosophy.

Not sure if this is still the case in 2022.

01-12-22 02:43PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Here's one from 2019.

https://s27134.pcdn.co/wp-content/u...-Guide-2019.pdf

quote:

13.The team’s final stone must reach the near tee-line prior to their time expiring to avoid a potential forfeiture of the game due to a game time violation.

14. As per CC rules, a team may continue play after their opponent’s clock has expired in attempt to tie or win the game within their allotted time.

01-12-22 02:48PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

To provide context, here's what other sanctioning bodies say:

SCO, 2019
https://www.scottishcurling.org/wp-...-2020-FINAL.pdf

WCF, 2020
https://s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...-of-Curling.pdf

USA, 2019
https://www.teamusa.org/-/media/USA...-of-Curling.pdf

All 3 say: "Each team must complete its part of a game within the time given, or forfeit the game."

01-12-22 04:20PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

A team may continue play after their opponent’s game clock has
expired in an attempt to tie or win the game within their allotted game
time.
(a) The team whose time has expired shall be considered the non-
delivering team from this point on and all rules shall be applied
accordingly.
(b) The non-offending team shall be allotted an interval of a
maximum of twenty (20) seconds between their consecutive
deliveries. Time management shall be under the direction of the
Chief Umpire who shall communicate as required with the Time
Clock Supervisor. Their time clock shall start at the expiration of
the 20-second interval. The time clock will stop when the
delivered stone reaches the nearer tee-line.
(c) If the non-offending team scores sufficient additional points to
win the game within their allotted time, they shall be declared the
winner.
(d) If the non-offending team scores sufficient additional points to tie
the game within their game time, an extra end(s) shall be played
in accordance with Rule 13(13). The team that incurred the time
violation shall deliver the first stone of the extra end.
(e) If the non-offending team is unable to score sufficient additional
points to tie or win the game within their allotted time, they shall
lose the game.

01-12-22 04:25PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Basically if the team is behind and runs out of time the game is over. If the team that is ahead runs out of time the team that is trailing and has time can continue to throw their rocks until the score enough points to win or tie the game, or run out of rocks and cannot score enough points.

01-12-22 04:33PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
Basically if the team is behind and runs out of time the game is over. If the team that is ahead runs out of time the team that is trailing and has time can continue to throw their rocks until the score enough points to win or tie the game, or run out of rocks and cannot score enough points.

Unless, if the team that is behind that ran out of time is sitting 3 in the house. The team ahead with time would still have to remove enough rocks or draw closer to the pin to keep their lead. Still possible to run out of time and win.

01-12-22 04:55PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

You Canadians are so adorable!!

01-12-22 04:57PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Unless, if the team that is behind that ran out of time is sitting 3 in the house. The team ahead with time would still have to remove enough rocks or draw closer to the pin to keep their lead. Still possible to run out of time and win.

That's what the last part of the statement says.

01-12-22 05:07PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I finally got someone to send me a photo of what I can reasonably believe is the actual Curling Canada rulebook.

https://i.imgur.com/XoBeb2o.jpg

This confirms that in Canada, the scoreboard is more important than the clock. Everywhere else in the world, the clock is more important than the scoreboard.

In other words, in Canada, curling is more important than time itself.

01-12-22 05:29PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
I finally got someone to send me a photo of what I can reasonably believe is the actual Curling Canada rulebook.

https://i.imgur.com/XoBeb2o.jpg

This confirms that in Canada, the scoreboard is more important than the clock. Everywhere else in the world, the clock is more important than the scoreboard.

The part I posted is directly from the current Curling Canada rule book.

01-12-22 05:38PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
The part I posted is directly from the current Curling Canada rule book.

Yes, in a glance, the part you posted seems consistent word-for-word with 20.(4) in the photo.

The photo also includes 20.(3), which I would argue is just as, if not more important than 20.(4), because that's where the keyword "penalty" is used.

01-12-22 05:55PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

quote:

Yes, in a glance, the part you posted seems consistent word-for-word with 20.(4) in the photo.

The photo also includes 20.(3), which I would argue is just as, if not more important than 20.(4), because that's where the keyword "penalty" is used.

Its directly from the current rulebook, I have it on my phone.

01-12-22 06:01PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Its directly from the current rulebook, I have it on my phone.

How is it on your phone? Is it a pdf that you can share with us/me? Is it an official Curling Canada app?

01-12-22 06:54PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

What is your email

01-12-22 06:58PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

GOT IT! Many thanks!

Last edited by curlingclips on 01-12-22 at 07:02PM

01-12-22 08:09PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

Yet another example of how WC would rather see anything happen than actual curling. Their ideal curling game is just LSD and the winner wins the championship.