Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > ..so what have we learned so far.....

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-09-21 08:20PM
PSanders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PSanders Find more posts by PSanders Add PSanders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PSanders
Harvey Hacksmasher

..so what have we learned so far.....

What did we learn from TSN’s excellent commetary this week at the World Men’s (...and yes, I know there was a lot of irrelevant chatter, but Cheryl/Russ/Vic/Cathy have been cooped up in quarantine forever, it seems!).
This is what I took away:
1. Powerful brushers hold their hands further down on the handle to get more weight and pressure on the brush head. They turn the brush head perpendicular to more effectively scratch the ice to induce the rock to travel in the direction they want. Brad Thiessen has started a new trend with his backward sweeping as the secondary sweeper in order to make directional sweeping more effective.
2. Teams with powerful brushers have more latitude in how they throw the rock as the thrower can be slightly off in their delivery and still have their rock ‘saved’. (Mentally, this makes a significant difference in how confident a thrower is in delivering a rock.)
3. Brad and Carrick seem to throw many of the ‘draw to the button’ measurement shots in order to cut down on pebble wear in the “draw to the button” path. Other teams were not doing this that I could see and often got caught in the first few ends on paths that were faster or heavier because of ‘pebble-wear’.
4. Cheryl and Russ are excellent in pointing out potential shots and angles. It is so easy to see these angles and where the rocks will go on the television screen (i.e. the lines that form between two rocks shows the direction the rocks will go. This can be incorporated into your own club play, although the rocks do go at a slightly sharper angle in the club).
5. Brier/Scottie and World Federation ice/rocks are significantly different, as the former have a much greater curl and the latter are quite a bit straighter. World teams bring a different game to the World Championship.
6. Canada (...and the reigning Olympic gold team-USA) face a different type of pressure at the World Championships in that world teams want to beat Canada and often bring a high level of shot-making to their games. This means that Canada always has to bring their triple AAA game in order to win, and sometimes they don’t, resulting in more losses then Canadians think they should have. (...and I can tell you that this pressure happens at all the various World Championships – junior, men/ladies/ and seniors.). While it is so wonderful to wear the Canadian jackets and flag, the mental pressure is tremendous and can make or break Canadian teams. Even the CCA babysitters sent with the teams cannot always prepare the team for what is to come.
...okay, okay, I know you probably fell asleep in your chair reading this, so I’ll quit. I would be interested to know, however, what you took away from this week. ....and please, no sniping, ....just a civilized discussion.
ahahaha.....back to the Masters....it’s so hard to keep up with both! I think I’ve strained my fingers operating my remote!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-09-21 09:33PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

My take away is the THREE TSN commentators spend more time talking over each other, talking over the players, and fighting to have their voice heard. One still plays the buffoon after 25 years and is beyond tiresome. The wcf commentator pairs on youtube actually let us hear what the players were saying, in many cases translated for us, which include Kevin Martin, Mike Harris, and Jill Officer and a couple more. There is nothing wrong with quiet pauses. TSN, just let us watch and listen ftlog. Verbal diarrhea is not the answer. STHU.

04-09-21 09:48PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
My take away is the THREE TSN commentators spend more time talking over each other, talking over the players, and fighting to have their voice heard. One still plays the buffoon after 25 years and is beyond tiresome. There is nothing wrong with quiet pauses. TSN, just let us watch and listen ftlog. Verbal diarrhea is not the answer. STHU.

"Here comes the guard, will it get by, will it get by, WILL IT GET BY, WILL IT GET BY.....no. Make the final....."

04-09-21 10:28PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

"Here comes the guard, will it get by, will it get by, WILL IT GET BY, WILL IT GET BY.....no. Make the final....."

well, I mean part of Vic’s job is to get channel flippers to stop on TSN. It certainly is a different expectation of audience than someone who seeks out the WCF feed on YouTube.

Also there’s an expectation to be unbiased for the generic feed, and being unbiased is the worst thing Vic could be tryin to create a good vs. bad dynamic for TSN - or at least Canada vs. the world.

04-09-21 10:33PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I'll admit I do enjoy curling on TV. However, when Dick insults the intelligence of 95% of curling fans who are ACTUALLY watching, for the sake of a few newbie watchers, and there aren't many watching on TSN, I don't get the point. If you're trying to be funny, wait until Ontario gets down to less than 2000 a day infected, and hit the streets corners with your schtick. It's been OLD for many years. Get some new material. Reach into your kayak river
coverage. Make the final Kayak from Bulgaria is the winner.

04-09-21 10:40PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
I'll admit I do enjoy curling on TV. However, when Dick insults the intelligence of 95% of curling fans who are ACTUALLY watching, for the sake of a few newbie watchers, and there aren't many watching on TSN, I don't get the point. If you're trying to be funny, wait until Ontario gets down to less than 2000 a day infected, and hit the streets corners with your schtick. It's been OLD for many years. Get some new material. Reach into your kayak river
coverage. Make the final Kayak from Bulgaria is the winner.

New material? You mean the jokes about Russ losing to Italy in the 2006 Olympics are stale after being trotted out every time Canada plays Italy in the last 15 years?
I liked him best when he covered kayaking, auto racing and 5 pin bowling because I don't watch kayaking, auto racing and 5 pin bowling.

Last edited by hogged again on 04-09-21 at 10:43PM

04-10-21 02:29PM
PSanders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PSanders Find more posts by PSanders Add PSanders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PSanders
Harvey Hacksmasher

Okay I get it. You don't like the announcers; however, this thread was intended to talk about what we have learned. I have a couple more things to add:
1. Don't ever give the other skip a "free" throw - i.e. you have the hammer, but sail your rock through the house and the other skip has a free throw. It gives him/her the opportunity to pick up draw "feel" right away.
2. In your delivery, when you thrusting foot crosses your delivery path, you wobble and that takes speed off of your push. Your timing is off and can really impact your mental game (....oh good grief, get your mind out of the gutter....)
3. There were many, many hogline violations and the electronic handles are definitely needed.

04-10-21 08:09PM
Statman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Statman Click here to Send Statman a Private Message Find more posts by Statman Add Statman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Statman
Super Rockchucker

I rather like Russ and Co. as curling commentators. They are informative, knowledgeable and don’t take themselves too seriously. Besides, curling is a complex game and requires a certain type of intelligence and personality to carry it off. Russ is about perfect in all of those categories.

When I compare TSN curling commentary to the mindless pablum we are fed during a typical NHL game, I thank my lucky stars for TSN’s curling commentators. Can you imagine a red-neck buffoon, with a 200-word vocabulary, like Don Cherry lasting for more than 20 years on prime-time TV as a curling commentator?

04-11-21 08:53PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Joanne 5' 6" 150#

Can clean and drag about 2'

Brad 6'4" 230#

Can clean and drag 6'

Ooooooh 150, them's fightn' words, and insulting bringing up weight... and it's way less than 150

04-12-21 05:33PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

What have we learned, or more accurately, what was again confirmed:
1. Sweeping is again way too effective at steering stones.
2. Rocks are too lively so, for example, there is no longer such a thing as a perfect freeeze.
3. Houses are way too fast. It should not be possible to throw a soft hack weight triple take out.
Fun to watch the best curlers in action but all of this is making the game to easy for them.

04-12-21 09:25PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
The 154 came off a bio

Brads i made up - couldnt find his specs - but there was an overhead last week - it looked like he was doing pushups - easy 175 # on brush head

Glad to see you edit your post, with the men 6-4 235 or whatever is bragging rights. Not so much for the women. Also, If Joanne Courtney, arguably THE best sweeper in women's curling only drags a rock 2 feet, that means 2 things, 99% of the rest are ineffective, less than a foot. Untrue. The men can drag a rock from release to stop an extra 6-10 feet I'm sure. If you're saying Joanne Courtney can only drag it 2 feet, then 99.9% of all club curlers, men and women might as well lay their brooms down and watch the shot. Unsubstantiated speculation.

04-12-21 11:29PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I have always said 95% 0f women and 75% of men barely clean the ice

2' is pretty good

On a draw one sweeper can prob brush 3 ft

About 100 guys can prob brush it 5 ft - al so helps if they know WHEN to brush - 6 at mostare a 10

Anything above peel - brushing is just exercise

You have been listening to the announcers too much

And the previous poster is right - the carving is grossly unfair

As is free guards in last 2 ends

As is teams getting paid $150,000 a year to practse and get a bye for 15 years ...

As is arena ice - that is inconsistent and cant last ten ends

Lets see who wins the slams lol

Just because "YOU'VE' said it.... how does that make it anywhere near factual. What makes you the expert? How do you spell practice?

04-18-21 01:23PM
Skid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skid Click here to Send Skid a Private Message Find more posts by Skid Add Skid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skid
Harvey Hacksmasher

The commentators on Sportsnet are way better then those clowns on TSN. Sportsnet calls the game that is playing not some game that TSN thinks should be played. Sportsnet does not need to be talking all the time it is nice to here what the players are saying.

04-18-21 05:18PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Skid
The commentators on Sportsnet are way better then those clowns on TSN. Sportsnet calls the game that is playing not some game that TSN thinks should be played. Sportsnet does not need to be talking all the time it is nice to here what the players are saying.

It is extremely harsh to call the TSN crew clowns. Russ and Cheryl may be repetitive, but they make some excellent points. I do like Mike and Kevin better, but they have their "go to" phrases as well. They also give opinions about how games should be played. I must admit I'm not a big fan of Joan McCusker, but I would never use a demeaning term or name for her. We all have different opinions about who is a good commentator or announcer, but don't stoop to namecalling.

04-18-21 07:09PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

Not a big fan of Sportsnet jumping from game to game in QFs. Quite often all we see is the last 3 or 4 shots of the end with an explanation of how it got there. Infrequently we see the last half of an end. I know people want to see their favourites, and people are divided on men's vs. women's curling, but sometimes there is a great end played that we don't see. If they can have split screens for updates, why not have split screen ends? Show a complete men's end, then a complete women's in split screens. If it's a wide open end, go to one screen.

04-18-21 08:58PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Bmalky
Not a big fan of Sportsnet jumping from game to game in QFs. Quite often all we see is the last 3 or 4 shots of the end with an explanation of how it got there. Infrequently we see the last half of an end. I know people want to see their favourites, and people are divided on men's vs. women's curling, but sometimes there is a great end played that we don't see. If they can have split screens for updates, why not have split screen ends? Show a complete men's end, then a complete women's in split screens. If it's a wide open end, go to one screen.

I have to agree with the sheet hopping from sheet to sheet to sheet. Why not concentrate on one game, meaningful, competitive, preferably with a Canadian team. ...then go to live split screen updates for the other games?

04-18-21 09:26PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:

I have to agree with the sheet hopping from sheet to sheet to sheet. Why not concentrate on one game, meaningful, competitive, preferably with a Canadian team. ...then go to live split screen updates for the other games?

Yes to this post and the one before it. I wish they could add an extra draw for the semis at least so that there would be only 2 games to cover at the same time.

04-19-21 01:59PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

It was really hard to watch four at once. I ended up having it on in the background for the mid evening draw, and fell asleep in the nighttime draw.

Down here in the states, during football season, there's a channel that shows NFL football, but only the plays where teams are inside the 20 yard line. It's ridiculous to watch if you're not betting on the games in some way.

That's how this felt. It was like I was watching a highlight package on ESPN SportsCenter or something.