Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Duct tape at Ontario Tankard and Scotties

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-30-13 02:03PM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Duct tape at Ontario Tankard and Scotties

Am I the only one distracted by the duct tape on curler's jackets at the Dominion Tankard and Scotties?

Time for OCA to do something about this.

http://hurryhardblog.blogspot.ca/20...-duct-tape.html

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-30-13 02:27PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

Totally agree. It's pretty ridiculous.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 63.73.69.132

01-30-13 04:45PM
duct_tape is offline Click Here to See the Profile for duct_tape Click here to Send duct_tape a Private Message Find more posts by duct_tape Add duct_tape to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
duct_tape
Super Rockchucker

I would just like to clarify... I was not hanging off anyone's jacket at the Ontario Scotties, nor will I be at the Dominion Tankard :-)

01-30-13 06:12PM
Unregistered

The only time a sponsor should be covered on s jacket is if it is in conflict with a major sponsor. eg. State Farm Ins. is in conflict with Dominion.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 184.146.118.6

01-31-13 08:47AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

Although I don't like the duct tape covering up a team's sponsor, I can see major sponsors of an event not wanting to compete with another company. Remember, the major sponsors are paying money for advertising at an event. If you can't get some exclusivity at an event I would suspect some companies would be less likely to invest.

01-31-13 10:17AM
DeanGemmell

Old Editorial

I weighed in on this exact topic many years ago. You can hear my thoughts on the issue at the end of an interview with Pat Simmons. The link is below —_go to the last three minutes to hear what I think of it.

http://www.thecurlingshow.com/curli...CurlingShow.mp3

Dean Gemmell

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 96.242.58.6

01-31-13 11:15AM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

Just listened Dean. Great points.

Like you said, "bureaucracy trumping common sense."

This has been going on for a long time. OCA has to come to some sort of solution.

Most curlers I've talked to hate the duct tape and telling sponsors "thanks for the support, but I am covering you up at provincials."

01-31-13 06:31PM
Unregistered

Ladies and Gents,
I was at the Scotties in Ontario and the reason why they had duct tape on their jackets was becasue OCA rules stipulate only 4 sponsors (along with the Scotties logo) can be shown on any one jacket and no sponsor can be shown twice. Many of the teams had the same sponsor repeated on both arms and back so they were required to hide or remove them. Many teams have screen printed jackets and cannot easily remove them, thus DUCT TAPE to cover them up. These are the rules and I would think SCOTTIES would appreciate it.
After all it is a Provincial Championship not a Major Cash Spiel.
You will notice Sherry Middaugh's team actually wore their Canada Cup jackets, not their tour jackets to avoid this but not all team have the luxury of multiple jackets.
I'd lay off the ridicule until you READ THE RULES!
Happy Trails!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 65.255.239.210

01-31-13 06:45PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
Ladies and Gents,
I was at the Scotties in Ontario and the reason why they had duct tape on their jackets was becasue OCA rules stipulate only 4 sponsors (along with the Scotties logo) can be shown on any one jacket and no sponsor can be shown twice. Many of the teams had the same sponsor repeated on both arms and back so they were required to hide or remove them. Many teams have screen printed jackets and cannot easily remove them, thus DUCT TAPE to cover them up. These are the rules and I would think SCOTTIES would appreciate it.
After all it is a Provincial Championship not a Major Cash Spiel.
You will notice Sherry Middaugh's team actually wore their Canada Cup jackets, not their tour jackets to avoid this but not all team have the luxury of multiple jackets.
I'd lay off the ridicule until you READ THE RULES!
Happy Trails!

We all know the reason for the duct tape but it still does not make it right. Especially if the covered up sponsor is NOT competition for an event sponsor!

01-31-13 06:48PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by decade

We all know the reason for the duct tape but it still does not make it right. Especially if the covered up sponsor is NOT competition for an event sponsor!

Competition or not, The Rules are the rules, Team abdided by them by covering up the repeated sponsors on ones jacket. In my opinoin Teams shouldn't wear any advertising at any Provincial Championship expect for the Title Sponsor ie: Scotties, Dominion Etc:

Rules are rules!

01-31-13 07:27PM
J-Ho is offline Click Here to See the Profile for J-Ho Click here to Send J-Ho a Private Message Find more posts by J-Ho Add J-Ho to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
J-Ho
Super Rockchucker

Teams that qualify for a provincial should be provided with jackets by the host sponsor. That would solve everything wouldn't it?

JH

02-01-13 12:38AM
christhecurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for christhecurler Click here to Send christhecurler a Private Message Find more posts by christhecurler Add christhecurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
christhecurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Competition or not, The Rules are the rules, Team abdided by them by covering up the repeated sponsors on ones jacket. In my opinoin Teams shouldn't wear any advertising at any Provincial Championship expect for the Title Sponsor ie: Scotties, Dominion Etc:

Rules are rules!

I guess you've never been to a week long provincial. Taking a week off work, plus the other expenses required to to curl cost a lot of money. Sponsorship helps ease that pain. Competitive curling for an entire season is very expensive.

02-01-13 09:23AM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by christhecurler

I guess you've never been to a week long provincial. Taking a week off work, plus the other expenses required to to curl cost a lot of money. Sponsorship helps ease that pain. Competitive curling for an entire season is very expensive.

I have probably been to and played in more Provincials/Nationals then you've ever watched!

07-05-23 10:41AM
Lime82930 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Lime82930 Find more posts by Lime82930 Add Lime82930 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Lime82930
Harvey Hacksmasher

Its 15.6-inch Full HD display with ASUS NanoEdge bezels provides an immersive visual experience, and the ErgoLift hinge design ensures comfortable typing and improved cooling. best laptops for sims 4