Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 10 of 20 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-17-20 03:25PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I borderline fell in love with Carey after listening to her Stone & Straw interview.
https://stoneandstraw.libsyn.com/s01e02-chelsea-carey

She did talk about how people thought she's the X-factor in her team's lineup changes.

She said that yes, skips can be difficult to work with, but no, she doesn't think she's any more difficult than most skips, or at least she tries not to be. She had long time partnerships, and are friends with many previous teammates.

She admitted that her first year Alberta's team (2014-2015) wasn't a good fit and blew up, but that's a 3+1 situation, and not fair to point to her as the culprit.

Amy Nixon retired and stopped playing, so it's not fair to point to Carey as the culprit.

I've only been following her for the last 2 years or so, and slowly watching archival footage from 2016. I don't get why people hate on her. She's a great skip as far as I can tell, and quite a warm person.

I do think she needs a better coach. I don't know much about Dan, but I don't think he's a good coach for this era.

The most telling for me is his interview with Curling Legends, where he scoffs at the curlier ice in the modern era. He prefers straighter ice in the old days.

That to me is a sign that he's not a good coach for the modern era.

http://curling.libsyn.com/podcast/episode-16-dan-carey

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-17-20 03:36PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by c_anabranch
Johnny Mo is back with Kevin Koe.

https://twitter.com/TeamKevinKoe/st...945764048175109

Ah is that why he phoned and asked to be Epping’s spare at the Brier!? Scout out potential top teams looking to change.

03-17-20 03:40PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
I borderline fell in love with Carey after listening to her Stone & Straw interview.
https://stoneandstraw.libsyn.com/s01e02-chelsea-carey

She did talk about how people thought she's the X-factor in her team's lineup changes.

She said that yes, skips can be difficult to work with, but no, she doesn't think she's any more difficult than most skips, or at least she tries not to be. She had long time partnerships, and are friends with many previous teammates.

She admitted that her first year Alberta's team (2014-2015) wasn't a good fit and blew up, but that's a 3+1 situation, and not fair to point to her as the culprit.

Amy Nixon retired and stopped playing, so it's not fair to point to Carey as the culprit.

I've only been following her for the last 2 years or so, and slowly watching archival footage from 2016. I don't get why people hate on her. She's a great skip as far as I can tell, and quite a warm person.

I do think she needs a better coach. I don't know much about Dan, but I don't think he's a good coach for this era.

The most telling for me is his interview with Curling Legends, where he scoffs at the curlier ice in the modern era. He prefers straighter ice in the old days.

That to me is a sign that he's not a good coach for the modern era.

http://curling.libsyn.com/podcast/episode-16-dan-carey

I always felt Carey needed to get a new coach. Good old Dad might have been ok a few years ago, but times have changed as has elite curling.

03-17-20 03:50PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

The "Shut up" incidence didn't do Dan Carey any favor either, at least in my eyes. It demonstrated that he doesn't have the cool head temperament of a good coach. You can even say he's incompetent for not knowing the timing rules for a timeout. At the very least you can say he's disrespectful to the volunteers who for the most part are just doing their jobs with few hiccups.

03-17-20 04:25PM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Ah is that why he phoned and asked to be Epping’s spare at the Brier!? Scout out potential top teams looking to change.

Good one!

03-17-20 04:37PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

I think parent coaching at this level is never good. Logic tells me it can only create resentment of the other team members since the daughter will always be perceived as being favoured even if she might not be, but probably is in this instance. Certainly could have affected all the teams she has played on. Aside from her, he is the only other common denominator.

03-17-20 04:40PM
Saskvet is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Saskvet Find more posts by Saskvet Add Saskvet to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
I think parent coaching at this level is never good. Logic tells me it can only create resentment of the other team members since the daughter will always be perceived as being favoured even if she might not be, but probably is in this instance. Certainly could have affected all the teams she has played on. Aside from her, he is the only other common denominator.

Good point

03-17-20 04:55PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

I can remember coaching a junior team 35 years ago. (in provincials)In all honesty, we had a very good curler in the skip position, but the remainder of the team was not really on par with the good teams.
I instructed the skip to continually play a draw game regardless of the situation.
We knocked off a lot of good teams due to our skips superior ability.
We got to the finals and then the father of the skip stuck his nose in, and the poor kid didn't know what to do and she went away from the game plan.
We lost the finals to a team that the next year was runner up in all of Canada.
I don't know what would have happened, and maybe it was a good thing as they may have been embarrassed nationally but who knows.

03-17-20 05:20PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
"There is NO way whomever they get to replace her ( Weagle ) will have 1/10th her resume." In -Off

Ah, but there is !

Why is it that nobody but nobody has yet to suggest the possibility that Lisa's replacement may be Joanne Courtney ?

Stay tuned.

Quelle Suprise !!!

03-17-20 05:22PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Team Rocque @teamrocque Team Announcement
Team Rocque will be make a change at the front end going forward for next season. We want to say thank you to Jesse and Becca for being an integral part of our team the past two years - we are very proud of everything that we have accomplished. ,,,, Betchya Carey's front end is stepping up. Twittersphere poster Craig says, "Eventual landing spot for Pooks and Fergie?"

Last edited by nelski on 03-17-20 at 05:25PM

03-17-20 05:28PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

And then this front end comes back into the picture: Raunora Westcott @Raunora
Back together again!
Leslie and I have been through so many great battles on the ice over 15+ years together & have accomplished so much. We are ready to get back at it next season as she is completing her Masters degree this summer!We are looking for an experienced back-end to join forces, create goals & have some new adventures. Contact me directly if interested! #FormidableFrontEnd
------
3 time MB Scotties Champions
2017 National Scotties Finalists
2 time Grand Slam Finalists
Continental Cup Winners
(Did Carey see this tweet???)

03-17-20 06:00PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Curl Canada announced today that due to too many team changes - only teams that have played together for 5 years without player changes - are eligible for the next Roar of the Rings in 2028

Good one. If it was true there would be very very few teams. Gushue and who else?

03-17-20 06:06PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Saskvet

Not really!!
Gallant went to university there.
Everyone of them were residents of NFLD up until Walker got married.
When Nichols came back home, Casey left
I know from first hand knowledge that Gushue insisted that they reside in NFLD.
Ever hear of Menchies? Check the management
And was it not our friend Stoughten that brought Nichols to Manitoba?
And Gushue was the first team to ever win a gold medal for Canada, albeit with help from Russ Howard.
You should check the brier records before you make ill informed statements like that.

Wasn't talking about residency, was talking about skips who change players frequently like Carey and Koe
until they find the right combo. Gushue was one.

Last edited by hogged again on 03-17-20 at 06:11PM

03-17-20 06:44PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Valid point. Gushue did it at 25. Koe is doing it at 45.
And by the way, from 2004 to present, Gushue has missed the payoffs 3 or four times, one when Mark left , and another when he was at the Olympics. So the comparison you made to the NWT Koe doesn't hold much water

03-17-20 07:24PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
BJ is a better shooter than JMo is now, but John may be better in the house calling line.
Koe is constantly in time trouble and it wasn't because of Flasch. With Hebert and Morris on front end he is going to need about 7 timeouts per game.

That comment made me laugh out loud and I'm sitting here by myself. hmmmm.

03-17-20 08:42PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Saskvet
Valid point. Gushue did it at 25. Koe is doing it at 45.
And by the way, from 2004 to present, Gushue has missed the payoffs 3 or four times, one when Mark left , and another when he was at the Olympics. So the comparison you made to the NWT Koe doesn't hold much water

What I said was IF he hadn't changed players and brought people in he and Nichols would be same as JKoe and I stand by it. If he was out there with a couple of hackers from Nfld on front end he is an also ran on tour and at the Brier.

03-17-20 08:53PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

"I have never in '50 years seen players or fans boo a team..." Saskvet

I would like to refer you to perhaps the most controversial example of all time, the Manitoba Scotties which took place in Gimli, 2008, a game between Jones and Flett where Jones and her Canadian championship team were "hissed at" and "booed" all the way to the parking lot !!!

Before checking out the Manitoba newspapers, I would recommend you google Bob Weeks' article entitled "Jones, Official Needs To Do Some 'Splainin", dated January 26, 2008.

03-17-20 09:16PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:

I would like to refer you to perhaps the most controversial example of all time, the Manitoba Scotties which took place in Gimli, 2008, a game between Jones and Flett where Jones and her Canadian championship team were "hissed at" and "booed" all the way to the parking lot !!!

Before checking out the Manitoba newspapers, I would recommend you google Bob Weeks' article entitled "Jones, Official Needs To Do Some 'Splainin", dated January 26, 2008.

The booed the heck out of Orest Meleschuk at Brier (think it was in Saskatoon) in 80s. The Big O didn't mind banging a broom or two and I guess they didn't like it.

03-17-20 09:27PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:

Found it, wow:

http://bobweeksoncurling.blogspot.c...e-splainin.html

03-17-20 09:29PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Now this a great one. Does anyone out there have footage of this? Does MB curling have this....and more importantly are they willing to show it. I've heard both sides over the years, but MOST side with Kerri Flett Einarson . Bullied by both Jones who bullied the officials. Screaming and whining until she got her way....like a lawyer.

03-17-20 09:44PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

If you want to rehash conduct unbecoming of the sport, don’t overlook Homan at the olympics. I would suggest that she was loudly booed in front of every Canadian tv that showed the game, me included.

03-17-20 09:46PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Speaking of Gimli. I know it's off topic but there's no sports on tv but reruns.

Crown Royal and the Gimli glider. Used to work for air Canada and every time that tail number landed we'd recant the story.
I still haven't decided if the crown is better with coke or Canada dry ginger ale.

For those not in the know, Google Gimli glider mayday and watch the show. Miracle.

03-17-20 09:56PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards

Found it, wow:

http://bobweeksoncurling.blogspot.c...e-splainin.html

I have been officially spanked.
I have no defence. My apologies. And to be honest, I forgot about the Meleschuck incident.
I will try to be more careful in the future.
On another subject, I am not sure if the skips were smarter back then than now. Maybe the players today are more skilled.
Having said that Michelle sure put on a display of expert skipping in the Scotties a couple of years ago by beating most and taking a Homan team who most thought were unbeatable to the brink of defeat

03-17-20 10:18PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

What I said was IF he hadn't changed players and brought people in he and Nichols would be same as JKoe and I stand by it. If he was out there with a couple of hackers from Nfld on front end he is an also ran on tour and at the Brier.

Spanked again.
NFLD 2004 brier, all home grown. record 8 -3
In mid 2000nds players started moving east and west. The bear brought in Morris and Hebert. Stoughten brought in Parks Gushue brought in Fry
I have absolutely no problem with people relocating I would say that both Morris and Hebert have become members of the Calgary area community.
And that hacker from NFLD, Bartlett seems to have done all right in Alberta

03-17-20 11:25PM
Saskvet
Hitting Paint

Really interesting comment for Johnny MO
Can't find it right now, but he alluded to the fact that with the five rock rule, seconds no longer can just be bangers and take out artist.
They now have to be able to execute shots normally made by thirds or skips.
Lotta food for thought there. Einerson, Gushue, Jacobs. Epping. Now Homan and Koe
Thoughts?