Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Who are in the GOAT conversation?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-14-23 12:54PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Who are in the GOAT conversation?

This kind of got started on the Brier thread but let's give it its own even though apparently we are not allowed to compare curlers from different eras.
Edin is in obviously.
I'd still rank the Howard/Howard/Middaugh/(Corner at lead?) as the best. One year they lost like 9 games all year.
Martin was at the top for 20 years, had some trouble finishing but couple Olympic medals and a ton on cashspiel success puts him in the conversation.
The Richardsons
Gushue

Norberg joins Edin as givens. 3 worlds, 2 oly gold.
Paetz is the best shooter I've seen.
Schmirler.
JJones. Like Martin had some trouble finishing at worlds but 2 olys and cashspiel success
Dordi.
5 years ago I would have bet the farm that Homan would top this list but it just hasn't happenned. A lot of close calls and heartbreak has delayed her rise but I wouldn't count her out yet.
Einarson can also stake her claim if she can add a worlds, continue her Scotties run and top it off with an Oly medal.

Last edited by hogged again on 03-14-23 at 01:23PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-14-23 02:22PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Eve Muirhead is youngest skip to win a World Championship, youngest skip to win a Grand Slam, and youngest skip to win an Olympic medal, last time I checked. If that record has been broken since, please do correct me.

She retired as reigning World & Olympic champion in 2 different disciplines.

Depending on what it means to be a curler, this 2 disciplines thing could be a big deal. One could argue that Oskar Eriksson's resume is better than Niklas Edin's because of the Mixed Doubles accomplishments.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-14-23 at 02:36PM

03-14-23 07:31PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Mixed doubles is tricky because they didn't all compete in mixed doubles and some didn't even have the opportunity . Think you have to look at events that they all competed in.

Individually on the men's side I believe Wayne Middaugh to e the best their ever was . Looking at the team that's really hard but I'd tip my pick to the Kevin Martin rink that won the Olympics and worlds with Morris, Kennedy and Hebert.

For the women it's tempting to go with paetz . She's won worlds 5 times but no euros and no Olympic medals of any kind rule her out for me. Individually I go with schmirler . Best team I go with the Norberg rink that won double Olympic gold and worlds in 2005/2006

03-14-23 08:51PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
some didn't even have the opportunity

Well, obviously I'm not going to compare Oskar Eriksson to Ernie Richardson, partly because mixed doubles hadn't been invented yet, which again underlines my point that we can't really compare players from different eras.

Even if you want to limit yourself to 4-person curling only, I think we should at least separate them into pre- and post-Olympics eras.

To say that curlers between these two eras are directly comparable would actually be an insult to curling as an Olympic sport.

03-14-23 09:13PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

To say that curlers between these two eras are directly comparable would actually be an insult to curling as an Olympic sport.

LOL. This statement is just silly. First you say you can't compare curlers from before the 5 rock rule 2018. Now you say you can't compare before Olympics 1998 (or do we count demonstration Olympics 88 and 92?) because it would be "insulting"????
You CAN compare curlers from the time they brought their own rocks to the river to the day they curl on the moon.

03-14-23 09:28PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Mike Harris tweet:
https://twitter.com/mikeharriscurls...669696933072898

"To quote Paul Savage... "The free guard zone extended many curling careers... and shortened others...” He wasn’t wrong!! "

At the very least we should acknowledge that players from pre- and post-FGZ eras aren't directly comparable.

03-14-23 10:48PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

Here is my 2 cents
A couple of things that are different then and now
THEN
Ice conditions were no where near what it is today and that is no disrespect to the ice makers back then.Those guys had a pebble can and a hand scraper lol..
NOW
Todays ice makers have all the latest technologies including mobilized ice scrapers,nippers,computers ,ice sensors and 2 or 3 fellow ice technicians to help out making ice conditions about as good as possible.

Another difference is how we learned to play this game.
THEN
Most of us learned to play by trying to imitate your hero at the time or getting a few pointers from your dad or friend/teammates..you got better by playing in ALL the local bonspiels and practised on sometimes (heaven forbid) natural ice. Sometimes the rocks would “fall”.two feet against the turn lol. ( yep I’m a prairie learned to curl guy)
NOW
The young generation nowadays are taught how to slide,deliver,turns,sweeping and strategy by fully qualified coaches. Notice how teams like say Jennifer Jones young uns all look like clones in there delivery. Teams nowadays get better coaching , practising on better ice, elite tour spiels and events and better players to add to your team from different provinces etc.Hell some even have a shrink to calm there nerves.
Sorry for rambling here but these differences make it difficult for me anyway to compare say teams like the Richardsons to Gushue for example.
For the record my vote goes to Gushue and Jen Jones for GOAT. I’m sticking with Canadiens only as I am biased 😁

Two things can happen..One is bad

Last edited by Prawnpuller on 03-14-23 at 11:09PM

03-15-23 02:36AM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

The GOAT skip or the GOAT curler?

I like the Wayne Middaugh mention, guy has won briers and worlds at three different positions.

03-15-23 04:02PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

At the very least we should acknowledge that players from pre- and post-FGZ eras aren't directly comparable.

Nope.
You really like moving the target don't ya? First you say can't compare from before 5 rock rule. Then it's from when Olympics started. Now it's when FGZ was implemented. What's next? Saying we can't compare from when they changed from 3 rock rule to 4? Or maybe when corn brooms got replaced by hair brooms or hair was replaced by cloth?
I'll say it again and drop this thread: you can compare any curler from any era. And why not?
The Richardsons played with corn brooms on lousy ice with sketchy rocks a million years ago. I can say that that team would compare favorably to Gushue today who plays with cloth brooms on great ice with good rocks. Why? It's quite simple: they had natural talent, a love for the game and put in the practice to make themselves great. They were great back then because of those traits and if they were around today they would be contenders just like if Gushue's team were around in the 60s they would contend.
Done.

03-15-23 04:40PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
You really like moving the target don't ya?

I'm not really trying to move the one target. I'm actually trying to put down several targets, if you want to call it that, because I believe there are multiple eras, more than just 2.

03-15-23 06:44PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

What makes a GOAT? If it's raw achievement then for Canadians I think Martin and Gushue are the clear top two for skips. They have two Olympics each, similar Slam numbers, similar Worlds results (Gushue of course being denied one chance). Gushue has the Brier edge, so I give him an edge overall. He also has the World junior gold. I see no issue comparing them.

Likewise, Gushue's Brier run is more impressive than any other. Ferbey's is a very close second, with strong world results backing them.

The easier conversation is greatest third of all time. It's Mark Nichols, the rest can go home. And Gushue/Nichols are the greatest skip/third pair of all time.

03-15-23 07:10PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I think Team Gushue deserves an edge for revolutionizing sweeping as part of their legacy. I don't know if this is 100% accurate, but I believe the breakthrough innovation of broomgate (directional sweeping with one sweeper at a time) is usually credited to Team Gushue more than any other team.

03-16-23 11:03AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

First of all, it's a team sport, 4 players, each teammate having a direct outcome of the success of the other's shots.
Lots of GOAT teams. By definition, if they were beating up on the competition for many years, they enter the conversation.

It's impossible to narrow it down to a single "greatest of all time" team. Better to have a Greatest of all Time Mount Rushmore of teams. And my mountain has room for 5 teams.

I'll put the Richardsons, The Howard Team(with Middaugh and Corner), The Ferbey Four, Kevin Martin's team circa 2010, and Gushue.

We'll need a flip side for the women.

03-16-23 03:47PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel

The easier conversation is greatest third of all time. It's Mark Nichols, the rest can go home. And Gushue/Nichols are the greatest skip/third pair of all time.

I'm a huge Nichols fan but put him a close second to Oscar E.

03-16-23 04:16PM
myhouse911 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for myhouse911 Find more posts by myhouse911 Add myhouse911 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

I'm a huge Nichols fan but put him a close second to Oscar E.

Same. While Gushue/Nichols lead the head to head by a good margin, Edin/Eriksson have a 6-3 advantage at major international competitions (Worlds/Olympics). That trumps the tour events in my books.

If I’m betting on a back-end to win me a game it’s Edin/Eriksson, very closely followed by Gushue/Nichols

03-18-23 10:13AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by myhouse911

Same. While Gushue/Nichols lead the head to head by a good margin, Edin/Eriksson have a 6-3 advantage at major international competitions (Worlds/Olympics). That trumps the tour events in my books.

If I’m betting on a back-end to win me a game it’s Edin/Eriksson, very closely followed by Gushue/Nichols

G/N do not lead E/E head to head by just a 'good margin'. It's a margin that E/E will probably never be able to overcome. Additionally, their chances of overcoming the 14-4 margin currently held by G/N in Grand Slam events are somewhere between slim and none, and slim has already left the building!

03-18-23 11:48AM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Exactly this. It should be no surprise that when you stack up the top 20 men's teams year in, year out, half of them are Canadian. I don't recall ever, anyone saying Sweden has half of the top men's teams in the world, or Scotland has half of the best men's curling teams (or Italy or -insert country here-).
So when it comes down to the inevitable world curling event final where it's often Canada vs other in a one game, winner take all, the "other" will sometimes win.
Having said that, Edin/Erikson are very good.

03-18-23 03:07PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I think it is inevitable Eriksson will be in competition for the GOAT versus Edin by time both are retied because he will skip for 5+ years after Edin (younger and healthier) and likely win 1+ worlds or Olympics on his own. Otherwise their resumes are almost the same. Edin might have a decade or more left but with his health it's hard to say.

But I think Nichols is the more obvious GOAT third because Nichols is, (almost always) was and always will be a true third. Eriksson is a skip and a third, though he has often thrown third. In a country with more depth it is questionable he would ever have paired with Edin. But in Sweden, with 5-8 elite players only, their pairing was inevitable. The Nichols/Gushue pairing was also somewhat inevitable due to geography but spending literally decades together is basically unprecedented. Except for when Nichols moved away the two have played virtually their entire careers together. I can't think of anything comparable, including Eriksson.

For Edin the black mark is always the tour. His performance there is mediocre to the extreme. I'm sure he'd gladly take his worlds and olympics but it is the one "mark" on what I think is obviously the GOAT resume.

03-18-23 05:06PM
naterock_11 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for naterock_11 Find more posts by naterock_11 Add naterock_11 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
naterock_11
Harvey Hacksmasher

People talk about this forum dying, but these are the sort of debates it needs. Sometimes this place is too collegial.

The different eras do complicate comparisons. It's a young rapidly evolving sport as a profession and TV event.

My main contention is that Gushue is probably the favorite in terms of best Canadian skip, best skip/3rd duo. 5 briers, an olympic gold medal, world championship win, should speak for itself. Too many wave that away claiming "different eras".

03-18-23 05:36PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
For Edin the black mark is always the tour [...] it is the one "mark" on what I think is obviously the GOAT resume.

Personally, I would much rather see Edin win World Mixed and World/Olympic Mixed Doubles gold medals for Sweden instead of seeing Edin win every grand slam from now on.

Don't get me wrong, winning every grand slam is remarkable achievement, and is good cash for the pockets, but as far as resume as the GOAT curler is concerned, I value winning medals for your country in multiple disciplines over winning cold hard cash.

03-18-23 10:24PM
myhouse911
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer

G/N do not lead E/E head to head by just a 'good margin'. It's a margin that E/E will probably never be able to overcome. Additionally, their chances of overcoming the 14-4 margin currently held by G/N in Grand Slam events are somewhere between slim and none, and slim has already left the building!

While they may lead the slam head to head by 10, a couple of wins in a few weeks time and the overall lead could be down to 23-16 (or 25-14 if Team Gushue has another 2017 run).
I guess I just look at the Nadal/Federer vs Djokovic, and you can quickly take a peek at that, and see a7-10 game lead is very much clearly a 'good margin', yet not insurmountable, but to each their own.

03-19-23 04:04PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Back to GOAT. Ernie Richardson was only 32 when he won his fourth Brier. Matt Baldwin wasn't very old either. If they had played when curling could get you a living they could have won many more possibly.

03-22-23 07:00AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

For the CAN vs NOR round robin game at 2023 World Women's, Sander Rølvåg was commentating with Joanne Courtney.

This was interesting because Canada coach is Reid Carruthers, who won World Mixed Doubles silver with Courtney. For Norway, fourth Kristin Skaslien is 2x Olympic medalist in mixed doubles, although it's lead Martine Rønning that will represent Norway at 2023 World Mixed Doubles.

They discussed that this is becoming the norm for curlers to play and medal in both, and expects to see even more examples in 2026 (Stefania Constantini being an obvious one).

This is making me more convinced that Niklas Edin should definitely try to medal in mixed doubles for Sweden before he retires.

04-13-23 03:08AM
Laurence is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Laurence Find more posts by Laurence Add Laurence to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Laurence
Knee-Slider

This is the first time I heard the phrase of The Goat Conversation. It's so interesting for dino game to learn and play.