Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Making Curling Great Again

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
07-13-19 01:35AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Making Curling Great Again

The United States was long a world contender in the early years of curling, going on to win multiple world championships into the 1970s, though a long drought left the curling men off the top of the podium for 40 years. This film by Jesse Wachter​ goes in-depth into the story of how curling evolved from the early days, through to the Olympic Gold Medal win by Team Shuster​. -- Runtime: 28 minutes --

The film also delved into the politics of today and took on this direction early as displayed in the teaser trailer "Walking on Water" as in that narration by Darryl Horsman​ we touch on the best of curling and how our beloved sport brings people together.

The title "Making Curling Great Again" was adopted as a way to take back the power of these words and try to bring people back together again, though I didn't fully understand the depth of hurt this title had for many people as a parody of the more contentious slogan that has become a battle cry for a cause. This was strongly debated internally as to the direction, but we ultimately felt that the title fit in so many ways and we're comfortable with trying to create conversation. We just wish it could be more constructive and less about winning and losing and the insults that flow from the debate.

After the travel ban in 2017, the film was put on hiatus by myself, as I had a hard time seeing what was happening to our neighbors to the south and I did not personally feel like supporting these ideals. After Shuster won the Olympics, we saw the beauty in what curling did to people, and how it brought out the best of us to pull together as one which led us to put together a plan to continue telling this story.

Curling has a great beauty in that we shake our opponent's hands before the game with a cheery "Good Curling", again after the game and as a culture, the act of Broomstacking is as important as the on-ice action. Making Curling Great Again is a story about Team Shuster putting the United States back on the top of the podium and the celebration and excitement that came from our sport's great strength... The people. The curlers who show up for league night and bonspiels at their local curling clubs, which remain an important hub of the community.

When we talk to our neighbors and get to know them, we create a greater community that can allow our differences to become our strengths as a people. We need to allow ideas that support all of mankind to develop, support good science and truth and be better at opening our minds to other people's perspectives.

None of us is innocent in how we got to where we are now and a greater acceptance and perspective into moving forward is what we all need to reflect upon.

Gerry Geurts​

Watch Here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQd_88BrF7k

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

07-13-19 01:34PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Megan McCain was correct when she said "America was always great" . To hang your hat and documentary on the stupid words of an American nut case president is shameful.

07-14-19 02:36AM
Relish is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Relish Find more posts by Relish Add Relish to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Relish
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Megan McCain was correct when she said "America was always great" . To hang your hat and documentary on the stupid words of an American nut case president is shameful.

Agreed. Shameful indeed. The title makes the video basically unwatchable. Despite being a long time American curling fan, I did not watch it, due to the title. Nut case is also a perfect description.

When I saw this video on YouTube a few days ago, I was dismayed by the title but assumed the title choice had to have been a flippant split-second decision by one ignorant producer who basically didn't give it any thought. Now to read the detailed description here that the title issue was actually understood beforehand, and debated internally by multiple people involved in the project, makes the situation exponentially worse and bordering on group incompetence. In fact, if that is the overall caliber level then I have no interest in the film in general.

People who butcher one important aspect are huge favorites to have erred and misrepresented all the way through.

Beyond sad because I've been impressed with this site during visitation. I would never have believed something like this sourced from here. It works wonderfully if aimed at simplistic angry males from the American south. But that's college football audience and not curling audience.

Remarkable gaffe. Almost the equivalent of unintentionally throwing all 8 stones through the rings in every end.

07-14-19 09:38AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Relish sums up my feelings exactly.

07-14-19 09:56AM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Dumbass title. How people could use that title and not think it's going to detract from the message is unbelievable.

That said, if they mention the Labonte-Meleschuk controversy and show the clip of the big O throwing a rock while smoking a cigarette I will watch. Is it in there?

07-14-19 09:06PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I feel like the people that made this don't understand how powerful a title can be. This could be a fantastic piece but this title borrows off of something so ignorant and stupid that it turns me off right away and, no doubt a lot of people. not the smartest decision.

the fact that this title was thought about and it was still thought it was okay is mind boggling. i just have no desire to even click on the link and watch the video.

the negative view attached to the title excluded it just makes no sense in any context.

Last edited by misty1 on 07-14-19 at 09:09PM

07-15-19 04:19PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
I feel like the people that made this don't understand how powerful a title can be. This could be a fantastic piece but this title borrows off of something so ignorant and stupid that it turns me off right away and, no doubt a lot of people. not the smartest decision.

the fact that this title was thought about and it was still thought it was okay is mind boggling. i just have no desire to even click on the link and watch the video.

the negative view attached to the title excluded it just makes no sense in any context.

Agreed wholeheartedly with the sentiment everyone has in this thread. I have zero interest in viewing this documentary; when I watch curling it is a lovely escape from politics, especially ones emitting from amerca.

Of all the titles to chose from . . . And the comments from some of the "fans" and curlers that I've seen okaying the racism etc in threads about this docu have been gross. If one truly wants to "grow the sport" then they need to be accepting of the differences everyone has. It is a game that truly anyone can play, after all.

07-15-19 04:19PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

Agreed wholeheartedly with the sentiment everyone has in this thread. I have zero interest in viewing this documentary; when I watch curling it is a lovely escape from politics, especially ones emitting from amerca.

Of all the titles to chose from . . . And the comments from some of the "fans" and curlers that I've seen okaying the racism etc in threads about this docu have been gross. If one truly wants to "grow the sport" then they need to be accepting of the differences everyone has. It is a game that truly anyone can play, after all.

Also, curling has already been great. Americans winning an event, be it curling, soccer etc, doesn't already make it "great."

Last edited by MeaghanEdwards on 07-15-19 at 04:24PM

07-16-19 02:11PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

Not only is the choice of title incredibly inappropriate, Gerry's defences of it decision not to change is bewildering.

In fact to be honest, his entire post at the start of the thread is incoherent and makes little sense overall. Perhaps the idea behind the video is a good one, but for crying out loud show some common sense and change the title.

07-17-19 04:38PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

And I concur. Would never click the link and makes me wonder about the whole CZ entity if our grand poohbah can proclaim eloquent in circles bizzare without having us shake our heads. You call this "marketing" for a film? I can barely think of a comparable bad choice - unless the target market was... well, you know.

07-17-19 09:44PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
You call this "marketing" for a film? I can barely think of a comparable bad choice - unless the target market was... well, you know.

LMAO. Well said.

07-18-19 01:56AM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

LMAO. Well said.

Ya, honestly, ML's ramblings are more cohesive.

Last edited by MeaghanEdwards on 07-18-19 at 09:23PM

07-18-19 09:29AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

What travel ban in 2017 is Gerry even referring to? Is he a muslim from Iran?

07-18-19 01:54PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards

Ya, hionestly, ML's ramblings are more cohesive.

I liked the post.

07-18-19 06:19PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Can only add that I too think the title is idiotic beyond words or common sense.

07-18-19 10:06PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

More like same three people.

07-18-19 10:25PM
Gallan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gallan Click here to Send Gallan a Private Message Find more posts by Gallan Add Gallan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gallan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Gerry, Ignore all the bashers about the title. Who cares about the title. I watched the film and enjoyed it very much. Thanks for all you do with this web site, for Curling stats and for the Roaring Game in general.

For those of you that would like to watch another very interesting show about a curling story, check out Netflix's "Losers" - the episode called "Stone Cold". All about Al Hackner and the Ryan Express and how Pat forced the game to change forever (very much for the better). Very entertaining.

07-19-19 09:32PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

Stone Cold is a fantastic title. Making Curling Great Again isn't and is actually and insult to all Americans rallying against the politics of Dumbo the Trump.

07-19-19 11:09PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
“make curling great again - 100% click bait , and it worked here
True, and am guilty - but I haven't watched it.
Gotta love the lefties though - it's that Mike Weir thing.

07-21-19 11:23PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Good response from the Twine Time blog:

https://twine-time.blogspot.com/201...z_z-1G1pYZNb1BU

07-22-19 02:58PM
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
Good response from the Twine Time blog:

https://twine-time.blogspot.com/201...z_z-1G1pYZNb1BU

That link did not work so well try this http://twine-time.blogspot.com/2019...eople.html#more

07-22-19 11:59PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

I read the twine time blog and could not agree more with the writer. As a result though, I have become very concerned with the decision to choose this title. It was, I now believe a deliberate act designed to capitalize off the notoriety of MAGA. This, to any same and reasonable person, is disturbing. To associate our sport with an obviously deranged individual is not going to attract new people-especially non caucasians. One has to wonder if this is Gerry's goal? His WCT and SLAMS have effectively made competitive curling not the domain of the talented, but of the rich. Does he have a hidden agenda to keep curling as white man's only sport? And Twine Time is correct, look at your membership. How many non white faces are there?

Canada is full of diversity and our curling clubs should be reflective of that. This won't make our game 'great again' for it never stopped being anything but. However, enriching our sport with the multi cultures of our country will make it greater.

Last edited by jamcan on 07-23-19 at 12:03AM

07-23-19 01:40AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

100% agree terrible title......best title ever

I watched the documentary and the one thing that stuck for me was the quote "Americans like to win, and we always have considered ourselves the best in whatever we do, even if we're not". Arrogance with a capital A.

The link to twine time I found far off the topic. The documentary I thought was actually ok, pro U.S. curling with NO connotations of race vs curling. Why those at twine time wanted to stir sh@t up is beyond me. Are they one of the 25 running for democratic presidential nominee? A U.S. president has nothing to do with curling........."allegedly" racist or not.

Maybe the title should have been, USA curling, back in the saddle again. Giddy up.

07-27-19 09:28AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

It's Not the Movie That's Offensive . . . . .

I suspect that Americans who are proud of their curling history are still scratching their heads questioning why this, of all slogans, was tied in any way to their curling endeavors.

Anybody who has attended a Marketing 101 class would, or should have learned, that's it never prudent to mix sports with politics, particularly if you have to borrow a slogan from some repugnant , bigoted nutbar like the one who currently occupies the White House. But this, unfortunately, was only the filmmakers' first mistake.

The second mistake was more egregious. Knowing full well this slogan had come to represent the Hatred, Fearmongering and in particular the Divisiveness the current president had spewed across America for an extended period of time, the filmmakers decided to run with it anyway. And to make matters worse, they then attempted to justify the slogan by asserting it was actually used to - wait for it - " try and bring people together again." While this may have made sense back in Reagan's time, today it is dumbfounding, at best. At worst? Let's not go there!

07-28-19 01:55PM
AK267 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AK267 Visit AK267's homepage! Find more posts by AK267 Add AK267 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AK267
Super Rockchucker

Re: Making Curling Great Again

Good documentary.