Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
08-05-19 11:22AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

From 10 ends to 8?

The issue of 10 vs 8 will be brought up in the at the upcoming World Curling Congress and Annual General Assembly in Mexico in September. I hope they go for 10 ends; 8 ends if fine for the cash spiels etc.

http://www.worldcurling.org/congres...Kp9L3pgjSWPn2pA

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

08-05-19 02:29PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

agree with 10

I too think 10 ends should be for Scotties, Brier, Worlds and Olympics.
I'm curious how the voting works and who gets to vote and why?

Also, Cancun in September.... perfect hurricane season.

08-05-19 10:36PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

I prefer 10 for the big events but I think they are going to go to 8.
The powers that be think that 8 will bring in more viewers on TV. They are wrong of course, no one is going to start watching because the game takes a half hour less. The demographic that watches curling is older people and they will watch the big events no matter how long and keep up to date on the best way to stop clubroot and sclerotinia between ends.

08-05-19 11:05PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

If we want to watch maximum curling I think we will need to accept 8 end curling. All sports viewing is largely driven by the sports media companies and they will force the shorter games. I’m ok with it. Furthermore, I think some of the mixed double curling appeal is the shorter game.

08-06-19 08:28AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i prefer that major international events and scotties/brier remain 10 ends . unfortunately i feel like the shift to 8 is inevitable. they want to make the game shorter. there's a shift to that in tennis as well with the debate that grand slams should go to best of 3. its because attention spans are getting shorter

that being said im not sure that switching to 8 ends will shorten it all that much. grand slams on spirtsnet still take around 3 hours to finish which is the average length of a scottes/brier or world game.

08-06-19 11:28AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

I'd like to think no one is really shocked by this, are they? Because you've all been spoon fed this change for the last 5 years. For anyone to even feign surprise is ludicrous, probably moronic.

Once again we are bending over and taking it up the hoop for TV executives that don't give two ****s about our sport-or any other sport for that matter, if they could they'd make every sport a 30 minute highlight film with 90 minutes of ads.

Will 2 fewer ends actually shorten the length of a broadcast? Not by much, if at all. Instead, get ready for more commercials. And prepare yourself for the discussion, in a few years, for the 6 end game or the 6 rock rule. Because some twit will raise the argument and say; 'Oh, but it's good for the sport (everytime I hear some moron use that lame ass excuse I want to barf)'

So all bow to the great god of The Glass Teat (thank you Harlan Ellison for that one) and make your sacrificial offering of your pre-frontal cortex. Because we only have ourselves to blame. Other sports aren't kow-towing to the tube. Sure, they have made some small changes and the occasional big tweak to their games (the DH in baseball and 3 point line in basketball spring to mind). But nobody, and I mean nobody, has rolled over and played dead as frequently or with as much impact, for TV the way we have in the past 25 year. And we only have ourselves to blame for not holding elected officials to account and not having the guts to say no.

We could easily have said no and still had the same exposure. Wanna know why? Because ultimately TV needs us more than we need them. Don't think so? Then why do the big pro sports get so much money from them for broadcast rights? And why isn't baseball 6 innings? NFL games 30 minutes, Soccer 60 minutes instead of 90 with no back passes? Tennis matches only 1 set instead of 3? or 5? Golf 9 holes and not 18?

The answer is simple: they said no. We aren't and until the people in charge grow some steelies, this is going to keep on happening.

Last edited by jamcan on 08-06-19 at 11:56AM

08-06-19 11:38AM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

On the plus side, 2 less ends of Vic Rauter's babble will help the blood pressure

08-06-19 09:40PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
I'd like to think no one is really shocked by this, are they? Because you've all been spoon fed this change for the last 5 years. For anyone to even feign surprise is ludicrous, probably moronic.

Once again we are bending over and taking it up the hoop for TV executives that don't give two ****s about our sport-or any other sport for that matter, if they could they'd make every sport a 30 minute highlight film with 90 minutes of ads.

Will 2 fewer ends actually shorten the length of a broadcast? Not by much, if at all. Instead, get ready for more commercials. And prepare yourself for the discussion, in a few years, for the 6 end game or the 6 rock rule. Because some twit will raise the argument and say; 'Oh, but it's good for the sport (everytime I hear some moron use that lame ass excuse I want to barf)'

So all bow to the great god of The Glass Teat (thank you Harlan Ellison for that one) and make your sacrificial offering of your pre-frontal cortex. Because we only have ourselves to blame. Other sports aren't kow-towing to the tube. Sure, they have made some small changes and the occasional big tweak to their games (the DH in baseball and 3 point line in basketball spring to mind). But nobody, and I mean nobody, has rolled over and played dead as frequently or with as much impact, for TV the way we have in the past 25 year. And we only have ourselves to blame for not holding elected officials to account and not having the guts to say no.

We could easily have said no and still had the same exposure. Wanna know why? Because ultimately TV needs us more than we need them. Don't think so? Then why do the big pro sports get so much money from them for broadcast rights? And why isn't baseball 6 innings? NFL games 30 minutes, Soccer 60 minutes instead of 90 with no back passes? Tennis matches only 1 set instead of 3? or 5? Golf 9 holes and not 18?

The answer is simple: they said no. We aren't and until the people in charge grow some steelies, this is going to keep on happening.

i dont think anyone is really shocked by it , so much as just hopeful it doesn't happen. it was looking good to happen a couple years ago but didn't.

this is going to happen though just like, eventually the canada cup will be what determines team canada at worlds.

its depressing and all these changes are why im finding my interest wavering. i just cant handle all this change and most of it i dont really agree with or find necessary. i said before and i will say again. when the canada cup becomes the event used to determine team canada i'll be done. and that will probably only give me about another 10 years...if that. sooner if the next olympics is as much a disaster for canada as 2018 was

08-11-19 10:08AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Any truth to the current rumors that the members of the Annual General Assembly are now leaning towards 9 rather than 8 or 10 and would like to see the word "ends" replaced by "periods" or "innings"?

08-15-19 05:07PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

every year we go to the Brier and sit in the stands, from the Friday night wild card game through twenty draws during the week to the playoffs and the Final game Sunday night. The last thing I would like to see is a shift from 10 ends to 8. It's not broken so why try and fix it?

08-15-19 08:06PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Curling meetings in Mexico? Bet golf meetings aren't held in Yellowknife.

08-16-19 08:16PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by alex
Curling meetings in Mexico? Bet golf meetings aren't held in Yellowknife.

Just a free trip for all the B of Ds and the other hangers on. Whatever Kate C wants, Kate gets.

08-18-19 02:37PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

10 ends please. Yes Jamcan, why does curling bend over so much for the TV gods? The only concession golf made was put players on the clock. Curling has already done that. This isn’t club curling where 8 ends is the norm. Is it because the up and coming countries can’t handle 10 ends?

Let’s not compromise the integrity of 4 person curling. For those with a short attention span, we have mixed doubles.

08-19-19 12:04PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad 10 ends please. Is it because the up and coming countries can’t handle 10 ends? Let’s not compromise the integrity of 4 person curling. For those with a short attention span, we have mixed doubles.

Yes. We walked away from whisky and cigars on the ice and moved to fit buff tough. Endurance is a requirement. The ones who fade need to just fade away. 12 ends was a marathon. 10 ends is consistently doable. 8 ends is a pageant.

08-19-19 01:42PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Doesnt really matter what we or fans think or want.the curlers ive seen speaking out seem to want this.

I just dont like it but, like i said that really doesnt matter. If they really want to make the game fast why not just merge this with mixed doubles so rules would be:

Start each end with 1 rock back button. 1 center guard.

Each person throws once so instead of 16 shots there are only 8

Power play is allowed

No blanks allowed

That would speed things up. Games would last about an hour, if that.

08-20-19 06:22PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

bwahaha
next thrower not allowed to sweep.
non sweeper holds the broom so next thrower can hustle to the hack.
ice called by thrower... loud and clear.
Second sweeper MUST be broom holder, if team deemed two sweepers necessary.
it becomes a curling circus and play by play is called by Danny Gallivan from the other side.

08-20-19 08:05PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
bwahaha
it becomes a curling circus and play by play is called by Danny Gallivan from the other side.

We could see lots of cannonading shots.

08-21-19 06:59PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
bwahaha

My addition to this:

Skip MUST sweep his or her second thrown rock. Allowing spectators to see how awkward Koe/Brad Gushue/Jennifer Jones/Niklas Edin look sweeping.

09-03-19 08:55PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
Any truth to the current rumors that the members of the Annual General Assembly are now leaning towards 9 rather than 8 or 10 and would like to see the word "ends" replaced by "periods" or "innings"?

Oh good grief, hope those are all just rumors. They've been called "ends" for what, forever?

Last edited by MeaghanEdwards on 09-03-19 at 09:10PM

09-04-19 01:51PM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

and love becomes zero

09-06-19 05:07PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Warren Hansen has given his blessing to 8 ends. Done deal.
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...-ends-1.5272363

09-06-19 06:26PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Decision has been tabled:

https://wcf.co/2lB5WEg?fbclid=IwAR0...uXYNY4TgFVFOYeQ

09-08-19 12:58PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
Decision has been tabled:

https://wcf.co/2lB5WEg?fbclid=IwAR0...uXYNY4TgFVFOYeQ

Good news. Nice to see sanity prevail for a change. Besides, I think I might have a better idea...