Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Poll: To register on CZ or not to register on CZ

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Should you be a registered member to post on CurlingZone?
This poll is closed.
Absolutely. I'd rather have fewer posts but better content. 37 43.53%
Not at all! I think having unregistered adds spice to the board. 27 31.76%
I think unregistered could stay...but maybe make it so only Members can post new topics. 21 24.71%
Total: 85 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-03-05 05:28PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote

are there any legal implications of posting someones internet address without permission?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 64.26.169.116

02-03-05 05:49PM
Dallas is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dallas Click here to Send Dallas a Private Message Visit Dallas's homepage! Find more posts by Dallas Add Dallas to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dallas
CZ Founder

No, there are no legal rammifications in posting IP addresses on a public forum. As Statman pointed out before, many sports forums display everyone's IP addresses with their post, regardless of whether they're registered or not.

FYI, public display of one's IP address is not a big deal, really. It doesnt tell administrators much anyhow. It can tell you roughly where a person is located (if you know what IP ranges correspond to what geographic locations)...but for the most part, that is about as far as you could trace an IP address. IP addresses aren't quite the "digital thumbprint" everyone thought they were a few years ago...not a big deal.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-24-05 07:35PM
gmay48 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gmay48 Click here to Send gmay48 a Private Message Find more posts by gmay48 Add gmay48 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gmay48
Hitting Paint

there is a lot of negativity towards cbc and cca out there being posted by unregistered. are there a lot or just a vocal few? registering would answer that question.

02-24-05 07:43PM
Statman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Statman Click here to Send Statman a Private Message Find more posts by Statman Add Statman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Statman
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by gmay48
there is a lot of negativity towards cbc and cca out there being posted by unregistered. are there a lot or just a vocal few? registering would answer that question.

Brilliant point, Gmay...and that is one of the most compelling reasons of all to require some sort of ID.

I'd sure like to know whether or not the many "shots" I take here at CZ, are really are being posted by my wife (and daughter.)

Last edited by Statman on 02-24-05 at 07:54PM

03-01-05 11:36AM

E-mail worries

The reason I do not register is that I worry about my e-mail being let ot to spamm? If the site were hacked would all the regisrtation info be available to the hackers hackers? I know curlingzone is not Paris Hilton's cell phone but I still worry.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.197.129.228

03-01-05 11:37AM

E-mail worries

The reason I do not register is that I worry about my e-mail being let out to spamm? If the site were hacked would all the registration info be available to the hackers? I know curlingzone is not Paris Hilton's cell phone but I still worry.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 216.197.129.228

03-01-05 11:45AM
Statman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Statman Click here to Send Statman a Private Message Find more posts by Statman Add Statman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Statman
Super Rockchucker

Please lock the deadbolt on the way out!

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered
The reason I do not register is that I worry about my e-mail being let out to spamm? If the site were hacked would all the registration info be available to the hackers? I know curlingzone is not Paris Hilton's cell phone but I still worry.

I'm suprised you are able to go out of the house during the day. Come on, that is the lamest excuse I've ever heard. You are far more likely to be mugged or have your credit cards stolen than have this site hacked and then have your precious registration info given to anyone who would be remotely interested in it.

Besides you can literally make up any info you put in the CZ registration form. Many obviously have.

Talk about living in a cocoon!

03-01-05 11:52AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: E-mail worries

quote:

Its a valid reason, and I totally understand. Our policy here at CurlingZone is that we do not sell our member list to anyone, meaning we never release your contact information to a 3rd party.

We do though send out a curling related email newsletter, and will at times send out curling related advertising to our newsletter list, but it is regulated by us, and your email address does not get into the hands of the advertisers.

As for the hacking, this can be something to worry a bit about, though hacking a bulletin board just to get some email addresses is low on the priority list. The safeguards in place though to stop spiders from grabbing your email address on the board are in place, which include not showing your email address in the member info section, and the only way to contact you, is through the contact link on the board.

03-01-05 04:57PM
Griffin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Griffin Click here to Send Griffin a Private Message Find more posts by Griffin Add Griffin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Griffin
Zone Participant

I agree that unregistered should be limited. I like a lot of the suggestions posted by Tennsky and by Statman, among others to limit the ability to start topics.

I've used BB's for a long while, and moderate on one. I must admit though, that the vitriol and nastyness of many of the posts on this site made me think twice about posting at all on this forum. I can't believe how uncharitable and defensive many of the post are. Mind you, that's not just the unregistered ones, but at least I'd know who was behind the offending posts.

All that registering does is identify your posts with the account you have set up. It doesn't identify the individual. I see no legitmate privacy protection issue, personally.

03-01-05 05:17PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

IP addresses are now being shown in the bottom right hand corner of the posts for Unregistered members who post. If you're a registered member, your IP address will not be shown.

Maybe some measure of your identity is now being protected by giving yourself an identity.

Now, atleast you can figure out whether posts are being made by one person, or several people.

03-05-05 07:46PM

Forget the spammers.

quote:
Originally posted by Statman

I'm suprised you are able to go out of the house during the day. Come on, that is the lamest excuse I've ever heard. You are far more likely to be mugged or have your credit cards stolen than have this site hacked and then have your precious registration info given to anyone who would be remotely interested in it.

Besides you can literally make up any info you put in the CZ registration form. Many obviously have.

Talk about living in a cocoon!

Mmmmm....And you complain about unregistered guests being rude/ taking cheap shots? I just hate sorting through spam email. I do not have a hotmail/yahoo account that I use to register for this stuff. So I like to keep my email private..big deal!! Now I think the best reason not to register is to be sure never to get an email from wankers like you.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 198.230.164.151

03-18-05 01:30AM
peachy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peachy Click here to Send peachy a Private Message Find more posts by peachy Add peachy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peachy
Zone Participant

wow, people need to relax about this "I don't want ppl to have my email" stuff. I highly doubt hackers will be even entertaining the thought for this site. I personally don't think that unregistered guest should be allowed to post except perhaps in the pit. I am new to this site, but have noticed alot of the crap on it. On the other hand I have seen the great discussions too, although I have found them sometimes hard to follow due to ppl, mainly guests, making sliiy comments which are unnecessary. I recall yesterday reading a thread that was basically two guys whinning like ten yr olds that one hurt the other's feelings and was a bad sport all around. Yet these two individuals were members. So obviously we can't eliminate all the dumb remarks. but i definitly think by not allowing guests to post will ensure more "smart" talk rather than "small" talk. Since I have seen time and time again that everyone appears to bash down what others say, I'm ready for. I have broad shoulders I can take it. LOL

Thanks a bunch
Laura

11-14-05 06:18PM
Statman
Super Rockchucker

Wankers away!

"Wanker!" Now there's a very British term. Do you have any idea what it means?

One of the reasons I'd like to see some control on posts, is so that I don't get called a wanker by some anonymous non-entity like you.

quote:

Mmmmm....And you complain about unregistered guests being rude/ taking cheap shots? I just hate sorting through spam email. I do not have a hotmail/yahoo account that I use to register for this stuff. So I like to keep my email private..big deal!! Now I think the best reason not to register is to be sure never to get an email from wankers like you.

Last edited by Statman on 11-14-05 at 06:23PM

11-14-05 06:30PM

Re: Wankers away!

quote:
Originally posted by Statman
"Wanker!" Now there's a very British term. Do you have any idea what it means?

Wanker - n. (Chiefly British Vulgar Slang)
1. A person who masturbates.
2. A detestable person.
- see jerk-off, tosser, onanist

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 64.26.169.116

11-23-05 01:41PM
Deucey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deucey Click here to Send Deucey a Private Message Find more posts by Deucey Add Deucey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deucey
Drawmaster

I would agree with having only registered users posting.

I used to be an unregistered user for many of the same reasons that have already been voiced (waste of time, keeping my email private, etc.) Now that I've registered I realized that those concerns weren't as big of an issue as I thought (it only takes 5 minutes, my email address doesn't get much spam and none of it is from CZ, and if this still bothers you then create a ficticious spam accoun). Besides, if you don't like taking time to sign up and are concerned about spam ... then just enjoy reading the posts.

Here is why I think people should be registered.

#1 - minimize rude comments. People are less likely to make rude comments if they can be identified. Also, it is easier to tell if it is the same one person making all of the rude comments, or if it is several people.

#2 - it's earier to have intelligent debates if you know that you are debating with 1 or 2 registered useres as opposed to 1,2,3 or who knows how many unregistered users.

11-23-05 02:04PM
Boot4 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Boot4 Click here to Send Boot4 a Private Message Find more posts by Boot4 Add Boot4 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Boot4
Swing Artist

I agree, Deucey. Don't know why one wouldn't want to have some sort of a 'handle'....much easier to reply.

11-23-05 05:53PM
Statman
Super Rockchucker

ITH changes posting rules

I note that as as of Dec 1st InTheHack will allow posts by registered members only.

Does CZ have any plans in that direction, especially given the results of the poll above?

11-23-05 06:33PM

Statman-someone who espouses freedom of the press should certainly want no part of limiting free speech by forcing everyone to be registered posters.

Sad to see ITH going that way because of a few thin-skinned people who want to control the things that are said. As for the poll, 56% don't want strictly registered only posters. Glad to see CZ not going ITH's route.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 204.50.255.102

11-23-05 06:39PM
TennSky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TennSky Click here to Send TennSky a Private Message Find more posts by TennSky Add TennSky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TennSky
Provincial Champion

Every website on the internet should have registered only posting.
A person could join CZ and call themselves anything, pick a name out of the dictionary, what the hell is the difference.
I would rather respond too someone with a nic than a unregistered name.

Last edited by TennSky on 11-23-05 at 07:19PM

11-23-05 07:04PM

the thing is though-if a fake nickname is no different that an unregistered post then why all the uproar?

If you're going to force registration on posters, then make it be in their own name, and the site has to verify their identity. Otherwise, as long as anyone can fake an ID, it's a useless enterprise.

11-23-05 07:08PM
Statman
Super Rockchucker

Brave New World

Well 204.50.255.102, where do I start, except to say that George Orwell would be proud of you.

I have a name, so do you (I think!). When does having a name (in this case a nickname or a "handle") limit your freedom of speech? It in no way limits when or what you can post. That’s always up to you. Any limits are entirely of your own making and level of intestinal fortitude.

Indeed, registering and using a nickname or a handle promotes freedom of speech in that users can follow who is saying what to who, rather than the chaos that often ensues here when a bunch of unregistereds square off or start sniping at registered members.

You can also ignore a particular poster, if they offend you or get on your nerves. You can't do that if 99% of the posts are from unregistereds.

Besides, by posting as an "unregistered" you provide far more information than those who register and use a nickname since your URL (204.50.255.102) shows up in bottom right hand corner. Your URL can be tracked back to your service provider; and even the path a packet (your message) took to get here can be ascertained.

So you see it’s far more oriented to freedom of speech if you register.

How are things in Vernon, BC?

quote:
Statman-someone who espouses freedom of the press should certainly want no part of limiting free speech by forcing everyone to be registered posters.

Sad to see ITH going that way because of a few thin-skinned people who want to control the things that are said. As for the poll, 56% don't want strictly registered only posters. Glad to see CZ not going ITH's route.

Last edited by Statman on 11-23-05 at 07:26PM

11-23-05 08:53PM

Thanks Statman, for doing an eloquent job of proving my point. And I take your comment about Orwell as a compliment (rather than how you really intended it to be). There are few writers who were better at pointing out the dangers of censoring and controlling people than he was.

Registered or unregistered really doesn't matter-you yourself use a nickname instead of your own name. Whether you hide behind a nickname or as unregistered makes no difference when anyone can:
1) quickly get themselves a free e-mail and then;
2) set up a false identity/nickname on any BB claiming to be whomever they choose

Plus, you can already do the same things whether you are registered or not. CZ posts the IP number so you can always use that to ID various unregistered posters and identify the location of the service provider which may, or may not, give you some indication of where the writer resides. Moderators can also use that IP number to delete or block the posts as well.

Additionally, you can also ignore posts you don't like by not responding to them. That's far more effective at getting them to go away-because you're not giving them the reaction they want.

But all that aside the reality is people feel more free to post if they don't have to give any name if they so choose-are you required to identify yourself everytime you open your mouth? of course not. Restricting posters to only registered ones is a form of censorship. But because you can get around that with a false ID you can't truly call it such.

I'll say it again-do you truly want to know who the poster is on every single post? Then no nicknames-its just a double standard. Have every poster register their real name and lets go from there.

11-23-05 09:30PM
Statman
Super Rockchucker

Ask Winston Smith

Thanks, Mr. S. from Vernon, for giving me the opportunity to put you right again.

Apparently the above poll numbers and even the moderators at ITH disagree with you. Any chat forum is better, has a higher quality of posts, and is less likely to suffer from flamers and trolls if people have to logon with a user name, nickname, handle, or what have you.

It also gives a chat forum more of a sense of community when people use some sort of nickname or handle.

Besides membership should have its privileges. Non-members should of course be allowed to look at posts, but they certainly shouldn’t be starting threads or even posting anywhere but a general thread such as “Rock Talk.”

CZ is a one of a minority of chat forums which continues to allow all and sundry to post. Most established forums, who want to promote a sense of community, and provide members with certain perks, do not allow unregistereds to post.

There are really no good arguments for not requiring a login.

quote:
Thanks Statman, for doing an eloquent job of proving my point. And I take your comment about Orwell as a compliment (rather than how you really intended it to be). There are few writers who were better at pointing out the dangers of censoring and controlling people than he was.

Registered or unregistered really doesn't matter-you yourself use a nickname instead of your own name. Whether you hide behind a nickname or as unregistered makes no difference when anyone can:
1) quickly get themselves a free e-mail and then;
2) set up a false identity/nickname on any BB claiming to be whomever they choose

Plus, you can already do the same things whether you are registered or not. CZ posts the IP number so you can always use that to ID various unregistered posters and identify the location of the service provider which may, or may not, give you some indication of where the writer resides. Moderators can also use that IP number to delete or block the posts as well.

Additionally, you can also ignore posts you don't like by not responding to them. That's far more effective at getting them to go away-because you're not giving them the reaction they want.

But all that aside the reality is people feel more free to post if they don't have to give any name if they so choose-are you required to identify yourself everytime you open your mouth? of course not. Restricting posters to only registered ones is a form of censorship. But because you can get around that with a false ID you can't truly call it such.

I'll say it again-do you truly want to know who the poster is on every single post? Then no nicknames-its just a double standard. Have every poster register their real name and lets go from there.

11-23-05 09:44PM

Keep going Stats-nothing like a fun debate. However, as the numbers in the poll clearly indicate-some 56% want the unregistered posts to stay versus 43% that don't. Granted that's adding two questions together-but both want the unregistered to stay(in one form or another) as opposed to gone.

I'll give you this-let's see what happens on ITH. If the number of posts goes up then I'll say you were right-if not then you would have to admit you were wron...oh wait, what am I saying? That would never happen-LOLOL

11-23-05 10:28PM
Statman
Super Rockchucker

In stats we trust

Yes, we'll see. Although postings generally drop at least in the beginning when a required login is initiated. We might need to give it six months or so to get a definitive trend.

As to your use of stats, I can only say that: "The only statistics you can trust are those you have falsified yourself." (Sir Winston Churchill)

quote:
Keep going Stats-nothing like a fun debate. However, as the numbers in the poll clearly indicate-some 56% want the unregistered posts to stay versus 43% that don't. Granted that's adding two questions together-but both want the unregistered to stay(in one form or another) as opposed to gone.

I'll give you this-let's see what happens on ITH. If the number of posts goes up then I'll say you were right-if not then you would have to admit you were wron...oh wait, what am I saying? That would never happen-LOLOL