Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 6 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-21-21 01:41PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i don't believe they even should have been held

You're sending mixed messages.

You complaint that they're having the same 12 teams in two consecutive slams, but isn't that safer than inviting more teams to the bubble just to add variety?

Yes, the round robin format was highly unusual, but that's also due to circumstances. For one thing, the Slams have traditionally used 5 sheets (2+1+2), but they could only fit 4 to comply with the bubble protocols. And their schedule had to be readjusted due to delay at World Men's.

There will be compromises and adaptations to evolving situations, and different entities make different choices at different times. Rest assured however that the bubble does have an underlying rulebook that was approved by Alberta, and health professionals are advising the decision-making.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-21-21 01:42PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

The wearing of masks on the ice was done in an abundance of caution to the reports of positive covid cases amongst the athletes. Once it was determined that these were false positives, they realized the bubble hadn't burst after all, and they've gone back to what they were doing before which they now know was working fine all along.

The extra precautions during worlds were taken, in part I believe, because privacy rules limited how widely the news of the positive-Saturday-but-negative-Sunday testing was disseminated. The medical officials knew they were probably OK to continue, but couldn't tell everyone widely themselves because of those rules. It wasn't until John Shuster let some further information slip on the Sunday night during an interview on "That Curling Show" that we started to learn we'd all been worried over nothing. And then of course official confirmation came later the next day (or was it 2 days?).

04-21-21 02:06PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

You're sending mixed messages.

You complaint that they're having the same 12 teams in two consecutive slams, but isn't that safer than inviting more teams to the bubble just to add variety?

Yes, the round robin format was highly unusual, but that's also due to circumstances. For one thing, the Slams have traditionally used 5 sheets (2+1+2), but they could only fit 4 to comply with the bubble protocols. And their schedule had to be readjusted due to delay at World Men's.

There will be compromises and adaptations to evolving situations, and different entities make different choices at different times. Rest assured however that the bubble does have an underlying rulebook that was approved by Alberta, and health professionals are advising the decision-making.

Let me simplify it. I dont think they should have been held at all. I dont think they were necessary or have value at this time. But I've seen some things I have a problem with or question now that they are

Also even if I take into account circumstances how much effort would it have really taken to shift teams around into different pools a bit for the 2nd event

In my view the safest thing to do anyway would have been to scrap the slams and not bring the extra teams in anyway and get worlds done

Last edited by misty1 on 04-21-21 at 02:43PM

04-21-21 02:47PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Also even if I take into account circumstances how much effort would it have really taken to shift teams around into different pools a bit for the 2nd event

They did shift the teams to different pools.

Champions Cup:
Pool A
Brad Gushue
Brad Jacobs
Bruce Mouat
Matt Dunstone
Mike McEwen
Peter de Cruz

Players' Championship
Pool A
Brad Jacobs
Brendan Bottcher
Bruce Mouat
Peter de Cruz
Niklas Edin
Jason Gunnlaugson

Most of your complaints are illegitimate, I'm sorry to say. I know the slams/money circuit get a lot of hate in curling, but they serve a purpose.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-21-21 at 02:56PM

04-21-21 02:55PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

They did shift the teams to different pools.

Champions Cup:
Pool A
Brad Gushue
Brad Jacobs
Bruce Mouat
Matt Dunstone
Mike McEwen
Peter de Cruz

Players' Championship
Pool A
Brad Jacobs
Brendan Bottcher
Bruce Mouat
Peter de Cruz
Niklas Edin
Jason Gunnlaugson

Most of your complaints are illegitimate, I'm sorry to say. I know the slams/money circuit get a lot of hate in curling, but they serve a purpose.

Sure, if you say so. I dont see one . Certainly not in this situation.

04-21-21 02:58PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Sure, if you say so. I dont see one . Certainly not in this situation.

The GSOC's involvement helped make the bubble happen in the first place.

quote:

In my view the safest thing to do anyway would have been to scrap the slams and not bring the extra teams in anyway and get worlds done

Keep in mind that the Women's weren't supposed to be part of the bubble. The slams were originally the last 2 events of the bubble. The Women's were added afterward.

04-21-21 03:01PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

The GSOC's involvement helped make the bubble happen in the first place.

Keep in mind that the Women's weren't supposed to be part of the bubble. The slams were originally the last 2 events of the bubble. The Women's were added afterward.

Yes, I'm aware 9f tje situation of the Women's worlds. How did tje slams taking place allow for tje Women's worlds to be held there. Ot could have been added even if tje slams weren't being held

You're never going to convince me the slams add anything to the sport or are about anything other than making money. Especially here. So don't try. I'm not interested in that debate

Last edited by misty1 on 04-21-21 at 03:06PM

04-21-21 03:23PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

A little concerned about Einarson playing so much. Peaked at Scotties and Mixed, now 2 stressful cashspiel weeks followed by Women's World's and then World Mixed. Lot of high pressure curling.
If she manages to win both World Championships it will be the greatest year for a player in curling history and I hope she pulls it off.

04-21-21 03:27PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

My prediction is for Einarson to win World Women's, then bow out of World Mixed Doubles, so Curling Canada sends Sahaidak/Lott instead.

Both Gushue and Einarson have talked in interviews that they were surprised the World Mixed Doubles weren't added to the bubble. They did not expect to have to travel to Scotland after winning Canada.

Both have expressed concerns with having to travel to Scotland and being away from family. For Einarson specifically, this will be the longest time she'd be away from her children.

I think if Einarson wins Women's, she might bow out of Scotland. Maybe if Gushue wins this slam, he'd be okay with bowing out too.

That's pure speculation on my part, except the interviews part which you can give a listen if you want to get your own read of their feelings about Scotland.

Gushue
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JADlrTEDPq8&t=24m48s

Einarson
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JADlrTEDPq8&t=33m49s

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-21-21 at 03:40PM

04-21-21 04:27PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
If she manages to win both World Championships it will be the greatest year for a player in curling history and I hope she pulls it off.

Not a very known fact is that Anastasia Bryzgalova & Alexander Krushelnitskiy won both Mixed Doubles & Mixed (4) World Championships in 2016.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_...ng_Championship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_...ng_Championship

Almost certainly the greatest year for a duo in curling history.

Joanne Courtney could've won both 2017 World Women's & Mixed Doubles, if it weren't for the infamous 4-ender.

04-21-21 08:41PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Benny with the big F-bomb, tirade and broom smashing.... get out your cheque book

04-21-21 09:56PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I don't know why Sportsnet chose the Jones vs Kovaleva game this afternoon rather than Hassleborg vs Homan.

Jones continues her long slide into the abyss. This time she jumped on Kovaleva for an early lead, taking advantage of K Lawes having a super-game but JJ quickly disintegrated into the shell of self-destruction she's become. I guess Sportsnet likes show-casing self-destruction.

Felt bad for Lawes, Lisa & Joss.

You should feel bad for those playing the Jones drinking game. Take a shot every time she says my bad, my fault, sorry. Mostly missed line calls, but quite often her missed shots. The big sorry will be after next year's MB Scotties, and she neither qualifies for the Scotties there or through the wild card. Too many teams above her. The end is nigh.

04-22-21 11:59AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Benny with the big F-bomb, tirade and broom smashing.... get out your cheque book

I don’t know why people think this is a big deal???
It’s 2021, you can walk down the street and here **** 10 times in the first 5 minutes.
So a player shows some emotion. Isn’t that terrible?

Watch a hockey game.

04-22-21 12:04PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Kerri E appeared to have a tiger by the tail in Stern/Hurlimann but overcame a sluggish start to dispatch the Suisse 8-2 in only 6 ends.

This morning Jones must be mortified as she faces perennial nemesis Rachel Homan.

Raytch will no doubt be out for blood as she (anyone, actually) can sense Jones is near the end of her rope.

Can a 60% legend defend vs. an 80-90% shot-pelting machine? Obvious question - but if anyone can do it its prolly Jones. Will need Kaitlyn to come up big and torment Miskew to no end - don't know if thats even possible anymore.

Before Jones started into her steep decline - both Rachel & Emma were superior line & weight callers to JJ. Rachel is the best in the business, Emma not far behind Homan. Until a couple years ago, Jones held the advantage in strategy and psychology but Homan advanced rapidly in this regard in her early 30s.

Well Jones pasted Homan this morning so I guess she ain't quite done but yes the fact is teamHoman is superior at every position and every facet of the game.
Yesterday Lawes had a draw, she let it go and one front ender said top 8, the other said top 4. They never laid a brush to it and it went though the house. That's a 8-9 foot misjudgement which I have never seen Homan's team do and I've seen them play a ton.
I still think Jones will suck it up for one last hurrah and contend in the Trials but I don't see her winning it.

04-22-21 12:59PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

Maybe Koe should try Hebert at 3rd next.

04-22-21 06:16PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Team Koe went from one of my favourites to, I hope they lose. Morris is a virus.

04-22-21 08:34PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Brad picks badly in 6th

2 in one game
About 5 pts diff

Has to throw a fluker

I wonder if it was the same rock? Maybe deep nick from sanding? Like a nick on a skate blade but much smaller, but just enough to cause the pick.

04-22-21 09:26PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

Not for nothing, but is 1-2 Homan vs. 0-3 Muirhead really the most relevant game they could choose this evening?

They’re both really good, but not really relevant in this tournament.

04-22-21 09:36PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters
Not for nothing, but is 1-2 Homan vs. 0-3 Muirhead really the most relevant game they could choose this evening?

They’re both really good, but not really relevant in this tournament.

Agreed. Jones vs Fujisawa is a much more relevant game...... figure in Canadian...errr Ontario content...err Alberta content. Ontario? Alberta? Which is it ? Discuss.

04-22-21 10:35PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
That said, Homan is still alive and S-Net wants to monitor her progress after giving birth…
yes - also yes to she may be just flat out spent. I mean she came in pregnant. Left. Gave birth. Won a slam. Started the next slam the next day?

She may be an icy killer but at some point even the most fit people just push their body to exhaustion.

Lots of people seem mentally shot in this one quite frankly. Canadian teams in particular. At one point (don’t check my math) I think the international men’s teams were 10 games over .500 vs the Canadian men. I mean, hell, the brier started about fifty days ago and Bottcher has played two games a day since pretty much.

Now some of them were crap doubles games where he didn’t have a chance, but still. This is getting ridiculous for some of these people.

04-22-21 11:41PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

SN not expecting Homan & Co. to win tonight and probably miss the playoffs as well.

This provides them with a last opportunity to feature Canada's most popular team which many curlers would suggest is entirely relevant.

04-23-21 08:41AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters
yes - also yes to she may be just flat out spent. I mean she came in pregnant. Left. Gave birth. Won a slam. Started the next slam the next day?

She may be an icy killer but at some point even the most fit people just push their body to exhaustion.

Lots of people seem mentally shot in this one quite frankly. Canadian teams in particular. At one point (don’t check my math) I think the international men’s teams were 10 games over .500 vs the Canadian men. I mean, hell, the brier started about fifty days ago and Bottcher has played two games a day since pretty much.

Now some of them were crap doubles games where he didn’t have a chance, but still. This is getting ridiculous for some of these people.

Nobody forced any Canadian team to take part in the slams. Many Canadians would enjoy an extended period of time away from spouses/children/work and have the opportunity to take what amounts to a vacation in the middle of a pandemic.

04-23-21 08:50AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade

Nobody forced any Canadian team to take part in the slams. Many Canadians would enjoy an extended period of time away from spouses/children/work and have the opportunity to take what amounts to a vacation in the middle of a pandemic.

I can't believe you just said that.....

04-23-21 09:17AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

Originally posted by decade

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

I can't believe you just said that.....

Where’s the lie?

04-23-21 10:52AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

I’ve never understood why people think curling with only 3 players is a disadvantage.
Especially these days when, usually, only one person’s n sweeps.
When you throw 3 rocks per end, you get the feel of draw weight that much faster.
I see it being advantageous.