Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > John Cullen's newsletter on ideas to eliminate extra ends

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-28-22 07:41PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

That's not true. In boxing, if it's a draw, there's no additional round, that's it, fight's over. And boxing is probably the most lucrative televised sport event there is in terms of dollars.

Boxing? Not even close. $ wise NFL, Viewer wise Tour de France.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-28-22 08:02PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Boxing? Not even close. $ wise NFL, Viewer wise Tour de France.

I'll take your word for it! I realize that I was probably wrong with that claim!

Anyway, Martin Klein grappled for 11 hours and 40 minutes at 1912 Olympics semifinal in Greco-Roman Wrestling. That's still a Guinness World Record, but it wasn't uncommon to grapple for hours. Now in modern days, wrestlers grapple for 2 three-minute halves.

09-28-22 08:21PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
Taking away hammer for blank ends just means the team without hammer will play for the blank instead of the team with hammer. If anything it will lead to more blank ends.

I really didn’t think I would need to explain the obvious, but I will try with a simple question.

If you were the skip of the team with hammer. The house is wide open with one rock to go.
Would you, as the skip, draw for one and give up hammer? Or, would you throw it through (blank) and give up hammer?

09-28-22 08:46PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

This blank end talk is a bit of a digression, but I would argue that the most natural way to encourage more rocks in play is to add this new rule:

Rocks only go out of play when they cross the backline. Rocks that bounce off the side bumpers remain in play.

Adding that rule also simplifies the rules, reducing complications, preventing controversies. For example, in this scenario, under this proposed rule, Gushue would naturally score 3 against Koe fair and square, no controversy.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/curling/gu...l-bumper-touch/

This also removes the cat-and-mouse waiting game where teams are wasting rocks putting up and peeling center guard. Now, a half rock peel of a high center guard would send two rocks towards the bumpers that can bounce back in.

Additionally, it becomes harder to blast frozen rocks away, because even after they leave the rings, they can still bounce back in.

09-29-22 12:07AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Its not just issues with networks having to buy bigger blocks of times for potential extra ends. And its not just scheduling issues. And its not even having the pebble last that long.

Dont forget that curling extra ends are generally anti-climatic. I know the new rules help, and we will see the exact analytics over time on this, but having hammer in the last end is such a big advantage that the end is somewhat boring.

Most other sports when you get to "over time" it gets way more exciting. I dont feel that way with a curling extra end due to hammer advantage.

09-29-22 12:37AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I still haven't heard counterargument against using 0.5 point as the price of LSFE.

As John Cullen argued, this starts the game with the hammer team behind on the scoreboard, so the chase is on right away, and it will hopefully lead to more offense.

We don't even have to literally use 0.5 if it's too weird. We can just say that the game is Koe* vs Gushue, and the asterisk means Koe has LSFE, and Koe has to beat Gushue but Gushue doesn't have to beat Koe.

With LSFE advantage comes the burden to outscore opposition by at least 1 to win. Without LSFE advantage, the team has no such burden and wins by just keeping up with the opposition.

If its not obvious which position is better, then we have achieved our goal of balancing the winning percentage between the two teams.

If having LSFE is still winning, then it should intuitively be less than the current percentage, not more, so that's a good thing.

If having LSFE becomes losing, then we might have to abort the experiment, but I doubt that it would be significantly losing. If it's losing but more winning than the 40% winning percentage currently for not having LSFE, it would still be an improvement.

09-29-22 11:10AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

My problem with a draw shot to an empty house to decide a tie game at the end is it's too different to the way the rest of the game is played. The finish of the game should look like the meat of the game, i.e. having to negotiate with the rock traffic on the sheet.

So, how about this instead... tiebreaker rock challenge. Each team will still get to throw exactly one stone, so it's no longer time-wise than this draw-to-the-button thing.

The difference is at the conclusion of the final end of a tie game, the teams DO NOT RESET THE ROCKS. However they ended up to score that tie is how they stay.

The team that would normally have hammer at this point decides if they want to keep that and throw last, or if they want give it to the other team so that they can choose the Tiebreaker Rocks instead.

The team without hammer will look at the sheet and, from amongst the rocks that are in play, they choose one rock of each color to remove from its current position and return to the far end. Those are the rocks the teams will shoot to decide the game. The teams may decide amongst themselves which player in their lineup will shoot these shots.

If a team does not have any rocks in play at the conclusion of the final end, then that's tough luck for them. They won't get to shoot anything.

If somehow the final end was a completely blank end that led to this tie, then at this point you can do the current draw-to-the-button instead using any rocks.

This way, the way the game, and in particular the final end, progressed still affects the final outcome. With the shooting-at-an-empty-house-draw-shot-challenge, that is lost. It feels to me like they might as well have done that at the start and not wasted the last few hours.

09-29-22 03:54PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
My problem with a draw shot to an empty house to decide a tie game at the end is it's too different to the way the rest of the game is played.

I agree with that statement, but do you not realize the irony when it's followed by a proposal that is entirely different to the way the rest of the game is played?

This is why the 0.5 freebie point for throwing first is a strong proposal: the actual 10 end game of curling is exactly 100% the same as before. And after 10 ends, a winner is guaranteed, nothing else needs to be added afterward.

09-29-22 04:55PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

No, that ten-end game is different because someone is starting with a lead just because they won draw-to-the-button at the start. All that idea does is move the draw shot that matters from the end of the game to the beginning, and to a time the TV networks aren't covering it because it comes at the end of your practices. It deducts the drama out of the tiebreak.

Now yes, my idea has a difference from the main game too, but the core of curling, that having to play neat shots through the obstacle traffic, which is what I come to watch, would be largely preserved.

09-29-22 08:16PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
Most other sports when you get to "over time" it gets way more exciting. I dont feel that way with a curling extra end due to hammer advantage.

I thought the extra end in the Canada women's Olympic trials final game was pretty exciting.

09-30-22 09:14AM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

I'm still trying to figure out this T-ball mentality where both teams should have an equal chance to win in the extra end. As for the 95/5 split on odds off winning, that's pretty good considering that with an undefended last shot to win the team with hammer should win everytime.

09-30-22 12:24PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
I'm still trying to figure out this T-ball mentality where both teams should have an equal chance to win in the extra end. As for the 95/5 split on odds off winning, that's pretty good considering that with an undefended last shot to win the team with hammer should win everytime.

I agree. You play the game to earn the biggest advantage possible in the last end. If the advantage is last rock in the extra, so be it.
Also, this idea that any team should start the game with a half point advantage is ridiculous.
If a team gets first end last rock.
They supposedly have a 60% chance of winning. I wonder if the 10% advantage is extra end wins???

09-30-22 01:01PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Also, there are 8/10 ends before the extra end where the team that does not have hammer could have won the game but were only able to tie. Why should you get a second chance in the extra end?

09-30-22 04:14PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by guido
Also, this idea that any team should start the game with a half point advantage is ridiculous.

It doesn't matter how it's achieved, the goal is to rebalance the winning percentage between the two teams so that it's closer to 50-50, without changing the actual 10-end game too much.

I acknowledge that not everyone agrees that the game should be balanced to begin with. For some people, 60-40 is perfectly fine for curling and that's the way it HAS to be. They may even be okay with 70-30, who knows. Others may disagree and believe that 50-50 is more fair. It's a fundamental question that curling needs to answer.

09-30-22 04:52PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

The question does not have to be answered at all.

By the eight end of a ten end game, both teams normally know what they have to do in the next 2 ends to win the game.
If one team meets those goals then they win. ( going an extra end may be the goal).
If anyone has any experience at playing the game, they would know this.

In other sports, the home team usually wins. (Home field advantage). Should these games now be played at a neutral site? Just to make it “fair”.

Last edited by guido on 09-30-22 at 04:54PM

09-30-22 05:25PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
In other sports, the home team usually wins. (Home field advantage).

Honestly, I would be perfectly fine with giving the away team 0.5 point advantage. So the home team has to beat the away team to win, but the away team does NOT have to beat the home team.

It's just like in boxing. Challenger has to beat the champion to win the belt, but the champion retains the belt with a draw. It's not such a crazy idea, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of it in sports to balance the winning percentage.

09-30-22 05:25PM
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

The game is already balanced 50/50 at the start of the game. Both teams have an equal opportunity to get the hammer during their draw to the button. After that there is no reason to handicap one team or the other.

09-30-22 05:36PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
The game is already balanced 50/50 at the start of the game. Both teams have an equal opportunity to get the hammer during their draw to the button.

People used to say the same thing about flipping a coin to get hammer. There are stories told by old school pre-FGZ Brier participants who stayed around just to watch the coin flip instead of watching the whole game, because the winning percentage was so lopsided that they knew who would win the game based on who wins the coin flip.

09-30-22 06:13PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Honestly, I would be perfectly fine with giving the away team 0.5 point advantage. So the home team has to beat the away team to win, but the away team does NOT have to beat the home team.

It's just like in boxing. Challenger has to beat the champion to win the belt, but the champion retains the belt with a draw. It's not such a crazy idea, and I wouldn't mind seeing more of it in sports to balance the winning percentage.

I guess there is no changing your mind then.
I must reiterate “ if anyone has any experience at playing any sports, they would know this.”

09-30-22 06:34PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I admit that I'm not a general sports fan. That's why I come up with these crazy ideas.

For example, I wholeheartedly believe that the Brier would be better if every Nunavut stone is worth 2 points if they're playing against Gushue. Maybe 3 points, even.

09-30-22 08:46PM
hailstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hailstone Find more posts by hailstone Add hailstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hailstone
Swing Artist

quote:
Rocks only go out of play when they cross the backline. Rocks that bounce off the side bumpers remain in play.

Let's check out the current big bonspiel in Canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxYijA85L_Q

Notice anything missing here? That's also missing in most curling centers around the world?

Maybe it's easier to notice these things if you, you know, actually played curling once.

09-30-22 09:54PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hailstone
Notice anything missing here? That's also missing in most curling centers around the world?

Most curling centers don't have thinking time clocks! Yet we use thinking time in nationals/world events!

If we want to adopt my solid bumper proposal, then of course solid bumpers would be added as a rule of curling.

Most events already use solid bumpers, including at the Olympics and World championships, so this is not an absurd thing to add to the sport.

Most of the times it's foam, but I've seen wood, which may/may not be cheaper. Rubber would also be a good candidate. There's no need to standardize the precise material/bounciness, just like there's no actual standardization of precise material/bounciness of stones (Ailsa Craig/WCF stones are supposedly different than Trefor Quarry/Curling Canada stones).

Last edited by curlingclips on 09-30-22 at 10:08PM

09-30-22 11:39PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
[

Most events already use solid bumpers, including at the Olympics and World championships, so this is not an absurd thing to add to the sport.

[/B]

Actually, it is absurd.
Along with you Nunavut vs Gushue extra points.
More and more ignorance is showing in everyone of your posts.

10-01-22 01:18AM
CurlingNut1994 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingNut1994 Click here to Send CurlingNut1994 a Private Message Find more posts by CurlingNut1994 Add CurlingNut1994 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingNut1994
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
The question does not have to be answered at all.

By the eight end of a ten end game, both teams normally know what they have to do in the next 2 ends to win the game.
If one team meets those goals then they win. ( going an extra end may be the goal).
If anyone has any experience at playing the game, they would know this.

In other sports, the home team usually wins. (Home field advantage). Should these games now be played at a neutral site? Just to make it “fair”.

You read my mind here. Having the hammer is supposed to be an advantage just playing at home is supposed to be. It's weird to me that people don't understand this? Having the hammer to start the game is a reward for winning the draw to the button or having the better record in the case of playoff games, just like having a game 7 at home in other sports. If you have a problem with that you just don't understand sports at all lol

10-01-22 03:14AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

If you believe that it's a fundamental truth that LSFE must be winning no matter what, then instead of giving 0.5 freebie point to the team without LSFE, we can give it to the team with LSFE instead. In other words, if both teams score the same number of points in 10 ends of curling, the team with LSFE wins.

Jason Gunnlaugson will be sorely disappointed, the game will become even more imbalanced, but we would still preserve that so-called fundamental truth, and we would eliminate extra ends.