Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2022 World Men's Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 10 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-31-22 01:04AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Here's a fun prediction: EJ Harnden will be in the starting lineup for at least one game, becoming the first Canadian to legally play in a game at Worlds with a black taped broom.

Tom Sallows was in the starting lineup against GER in 2018, but he played with Geoff Walker's red taped broom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7gZKqXRf4o&t=2m2s

I could be 100% wrong (please name the person if I am), but I don't think a Canadian has ever played with a black taped broom at Worlds/Olympics.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-31-22 at 02:19PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-31-22 06:02PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
Here's a fun prediction: EJ Harnden will be in the starting lineup for at least one game, becoming the first Canadian to legally play in a game at Worlds with a black taped broom.

Tom Sallows was in the starting lineup against GER in 2018, but he played with Geoff Walker's red taped broom.

I could be 100% wrong (please name the person if I am), but I don't think a Canadian has ever played with a black taped broom at Worlds/Olympics.

First off; who cares?

Second: are you Yogy Namara? He posted frequent, strange ideas and thoughts similar to yours on several Facebook groups then disappeared. And like Mr Namara, you openly admit to not being a curler. Additionally, he lived in South Asia, and many of your posts tend to show time stamps that line up to that location.

Third; it appears, very clearly, that you are likely on the CZ payroll. Your post numbers have skyrocketed from pretty much zero to over 1000 in a very short time. Ironically, a very short time since two prolific trolls, Manitoba Legend snd Fresca, were banned from the sight.

They were banned for constant sexist, misogynistic and racist posts designed to do one thing: increase traffic numbers on this site to attract advertisers.

Your sudden, prolific appearance since their departure would indicate you've been tasked to do the same. Albeit without posting in those same volatile veins. However you've definitely made provocative statements that seem deliberately designed to generate multiple, negative replies. This includes, like ML, constantly starting new threads.

So how about toning it down a notch? Instead of trying to dominate every thread.

03-31-22 06:41PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan
First off; who cares?

I care.

EJ Harnden is an excellent curler that I personally enjoy watching, usually as part of Team Jacobs as a whole that I'm a big fan of. There's also reports that EJ may play as member of the next Team Gushue.

Wouldn't you want to watch EJ play at World Men's in Las Vegas? I do!

So the next question is: will EJ sub in only at half time, or will he be in the starting lineup at a game?

In 2018, Brad Gushue brought Tom Sallows out as part of the starting lineup. Don't you think he would try to do the same with EJ, who is a much more accomplished curler, and a rumored potential future teammate?

So the last remaining question is: whose broom will he use in that game? Will he use someone else's broom, or will he use his own black tape broom?

In case you didn't know, WCF has very strict rules regarding brooms. The infamous rule C3(g) means that a black tape broom that is brought illegally results in forfeit of the game.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...eroux-1.5363504

So here's a chance for EJ to be part of the starting lineup and legally play with his own black tape broom. If he did, he'd be the first Canadian to have ever done it. Isn't that exciting in its own right? Wouldn't you want to see that?

I do!

03-31-22 07:00PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:

I have lost interest in the men’s worlds for the most part but I do think it would be interesting to see if EJ gets to start a game.

I could be wrong but the broom regulation where you have to play with the same broom throughout hasn’t been in effect for very long, has it? I’m too lazy to look it up.

03-31-22 07:42PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I care.

EJ Harnden is an excellent curler that I personally enjoy watching, usually as part of Team Jacobs as a whole that I'm a big fan of. There's also reports that EJ may play as member of the next Team Gushue.

Wouldn't you want to watch EJ play at World Men's in Las Vegas? I do!

So the next question is: will EJ sub in only at half time, or will he be in the starting lineup at a game?

In 2018, Brad Gushue brought Tom Sallows out as part of the starting lineup. Don't you think he would try to do the same with EJ, who is a much more accomplished curler, and a rumored potential future teammate?

So the last remaining question is: whose broom will he use in that game? Will he use someone else's broom, or will he use his own black tape broom?

In case you didn't know, WCF has very strict rules regarding brooms. The infamous rule C3(g) means that a black tape broom that is brought illegally results in forfeit of the game.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...eroux-1.5363504

So here's a chance for EJ to be part of the starting lineup and legally play with his own black tape broom. If he did, he'd be the first Canadian to have ever done it. Isn't that exciting in its own right? Wouldn't you want to see that?

I do!

I don't think you know the broom rules at all.

So are you Yogy Namara and are you in the employ of Curling Zone?

03-31-22 08:11PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

First off; who cares?

Second: are you Yogy Namara? He posted frequent, strange ideas and thoughts similar to yours on several Facebook groups then disappeared. And like Mr Namara, you openly admit to not being a curler. Additionally, he lived in South Asia, and many of your posts tend to show time stamps that line up to that location.

Third; it appears, very clearly, that you are likely on the CZ payroll. Your post numbers have skyrocketed from pretty much zero to over 1000 in a very short time. Ironically, a very short time since two prolific trolls, Manitoba Legend snd Fresca, were banned from the sight.

They were banned for constant sexist, misogynistic and racist posts designed to do one thing: increase traffic numbers on this site to attract advertisers.

Your sudden, prolific appearance since their departure would indicate you've been tasked to do the same. Albeit without posting in those same volatile veins. However you've definitely made provocative statements that seem deliberately designed to generate multiple, negative replies. This includes, like ML, constantly starting new threads.

So how about toning it down a notch? Instead of trying to dominate every thread.

Best post in months. I’ll admit quite often I get sucked into the drivel. Even get so frustrated into rants. On and on and on.

Shhh.

03-31-22 08:13PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Just wait , more replies and clips.

04-01-22 12:22AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

quote:

I don't think you know the broom rules at all.

So are you Yogy Namara and are you in the employ of Curling Zone?

Aw come on, jamcan. Fess up. You’ve been hired by Gerry to police posters. IN-OFF is your second in command?

04-01-22 12:28AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Maggie
I could be wrong but the broom regulation where you have to play with the same broom throughout hasn’t been in effect for very long, has it?

The WCF rules for sweeping was rewritten in 2016, at the same time that the mustard yellow fabrics are declared to be the only legal fabric for sweeping. Hence why we don't see sweepers with hair broom or other colorful pads except for delivery aid or light cleaning.

The rules are quite long, but here's some of the most relevant bits.

quote:
(Reference: WCF Policies/Rules for Brush Heads and Brushing)

For all practices and games, a maximum of one conforming sweeping device per person can be taken
into the field of play. [...] All sweeping devices will be marked with different coloured tape to identify which device belongs to which player or coach(s). [...] If a team must change a player after the pre-game practice or during a game, the alternate player will have to use the brush head from the player he/she is replacing. If the brush head does not fit onto the alternate’s brush handle, the alternate must play with the brush of the player who is being replaced. Penalty: If a new sweeping device is brought into the game without permission of the Chief Umpire, the team will forfeit the game.

So these will be the tape color assignments:

* Geoff Walker: Red
* Brett Gallant: Yellow
* Mark Nichols: Blue
* Brad Gushue: Green
* EJ Harnden: Black

(Reference: WCF Technical Officials Manual, 5.2. Brush Marking)

See also: this broom salute photo from 2022 Olympics https://s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...9713-scaled.jpg

Technically other color assignments are possible, but it rarely happens.

Once they start a game with a particular broom, you should see them with that same broom until the end of the game.

If you see Gallant with a yellow tape broom before half time break, but a red tape broom after, that would be a violation (Einarson accidentally grabbed Sweeting's broom at half time break in 2021, but luckily Sweeting caught it before there was any sweeping).

When an alternate is part of the starting lineup, I've seen 2 models: they either use their own black tape broom (e.g. Kim Yeong-mi and Jiang Xindi at 2022 Olympics), or they use the broom of the core player that they're replacing (e.g. Tom Sallows at 2018 World Men's).

There are some clips you can watch that can help shine some light on player substitution process during half time break. The CBC.ca stream of the men's CAN vs USA round robin game at 2022 Olympics where Marc Kennedy subbed for Brett Gallant was very enlightening.

Gushue asked for confirmation from the officials that Kennedy could just use Gallant's entire yellow tape broom, instead of bringing Kennedy's black tape broom and transferring the yellow mustard fabric over. For a few seconds, Kennedy grabbed the wrong broom, green taped instead of yellow taped. Gushue had to tell Kennedy that Kennedy had accidentally grabbed Gushue's broom instead of Gallant's.

If you find any photo or videos of Kennedy playing this game, you will see that indeed he used Gallant's yellow tape broom.

Example:
Geoff Walker (L, red tape) & Marc Kennedy (R, yellow tape)
https://worldcurling.org/2022/02/beijing-m-s6/
-----------------

Black tape examples:

Kim Yeong-mi (R, black tape) & Kim Seon-yeong (L, red tape)
https://www.alamy.com/beijing-china...e460523426.html

Jiang Xindi (L, black tape) & Dong Ziqi (R, yellow tape)
https://www.alamy.com/beijing-china...e460705834.html

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-01-22 at 04:14AM

04-01-22 01:01AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Broadcast schedule: https://worldcurling.org/2022/03/wmcc2022-broadcast/

CAN: 12x
USA: 7x
SUI: 6x
SWE: 6x
CZE: 5x
FIN: 5x
NOR: 4x
DEN: 3x
KOR: 3x
SCO: 3x
NED: 2x
GER: 1x
ITA: 1x

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-01-22 at 01:13AM

04-01-22 10:54PM
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Aw come on, jamcan. Fess up. You’ve been hired by Gerry to police posters. IN-OFF is your second in command?

Gerry couldn't pay me enough.

But I'll ask Curlingclips one more time, since they KEEP dodging the question: are you Yogy Namara and in the employ of CZ?

04-01-22 11:11PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

No not 2nd in command. I wish I got paid to get aggravated on here. But I do enjoy your humour. Sometimes my attempt at humour comes across as sarcastic or offensive. Aah. I still find it funny. No clips involved in this comment. And no I’m not Japanese. Good old maritimer. Emphasis on old. PS well done NS girls winning juniors. That’s both boys and girls last 2 nationals. Not bad for tiny province vs big bad ON MB AB etc. Russ, how’s that Atlantic ice now?

04-02-22 07:26AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

I'm dying at the idea of Gerry paying someone to generate ad revenue on a forum frequented by 15-25 people at the most. I do know that the poster I have on ignore seems to be pulling the same schtick over on Reddit so I think it's just their personality.

As for the actual event: the Women's was ultimately predictable, will this be the same? The Gushue/Edin final seems quite likely but at least both Schwaller/Paterson have tour experience. Can an Asian team make the podium? My big Q will be about the ice—it was garbage in 2018.

If Canada can't win then I hope Scotland does. Would make a truly hilarious end for this "MOUAT SHOULD BE THERE" thing, with Paterson winning before Mouat.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 04-02-22 at 07:28AM

04-02-22 07:37AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
I'm dying at the idea of Gerry paying someone to generate ad revenue on a forum frequented by 15-25 people at the most. I do know that the poster I have on ignore seems to be pulling the same schtick over on Reddit so I think it's just their personality.

As for the actual event: the Women's was ultimately predictable, will this be the same? The Gushue/Edin final seems quite likely but at least both Schwaller/Paterson have tour experience. Can an Asian team make the podium? My big Q will be about the ice—it was garbage in 2018.

If Canada can't win then I hope Scotland does. Would make a truly hilarious end for this "MOUAT SHOULD BE THERE" thing, with Paterson winning before Mouat.

That would be hilarious.

Anyway my predicted top 6 is this

Canada
Sweden
Switzerland
Scotland
United States
Italy

Germany or maybe Korea could surprise but I doubt it

04-02-22 08:11AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
Paterson winning before Mouat

For the record, much to my own surprise, Kyle Waddell has been declared to be the skip of this team. Ross Paterson is vice skip at fourth.

https://worldcurling.org/events/wmcc2022?pageType=teams

04-02-22 08:17AM
Skid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Skid Click here to Send Skid a Private Message Find more posts by Skid Add Skid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skid
Harvey Hacksmasher

My prediction is Russ will talk about his loss to Italy at least twice during every game.

04-02-22 11:08AM
Martym is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Martym Find more posts by Martym Add Martym to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Martym
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

For the record, much to my own surprise, Kyle Waddell has been declared to be the skip of this team. Ross Paterson is vice skip at fourth.

https://worldcurling.org/events/wmcc2022?pageType=teams

Is that correct? Seems odd they would change it.

According to this article from yesterday Ross Paterson is interviewed as if he is the skip but at the bottom it also as on the WCF site lists him as vice skip to Kyle - albeit Ross is throwing fourth. Ross is ten years older than Kyle - but Kyle has of course competed in the Olympics.

I expect we won't know for sure until their first game tonight as to who is skip!

Interesting they gave the interview to British curling (who support the Olympic teams) - not Scottish curling given they are representing Scotland not England or Wales. But then they didn't threaten to take British curling to court - allegedly!

https://www.britishcurling.org.uk/n...eturn-to-vegas/

Last edited by Martym on 04-02-22 at 11:17AM

04-02-22 11:18AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Martym
Ross is ten years older than Kyle

Older vice skip paired with younger skip happens quite frequently, e.g. Joe Polo (+13) for Korey Dropkin in this event, Torger Nergård (+14) for Steffen Walstad at 2022 Olympics, Jackie Lockhart (+26) for Eve Muirhead at 2010 Olympics, etc.

I can't think of an example where the older vice skip is throwing fourth, though.

---------------------

I just found out that Team Paterson played numerous games (maybe all?) with Waddell as skip in the Scottish championship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fsy...N8bRfQnE&t=5m1s

So chances are pretty good that Waddell will skip the team at World Men's.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-02-22 at 12:09PM

04-02-22 04:21PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

Could it just be that Waddell is carrying some kind of injury so he is in the house while Paterson is sweeping?

Paterson throws 4th stones, does the interviews and the team is named after him, so I would assume he’s actually the skip. But maybe it’s just a case that Waddell has some injury that’s preventing him from sweeping and therefore Paterson is helping with the sweeping instead.

04-02-22 04:52PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

DSC (in progress): https://curlit.com/WMCC/aspnet/DSC.aspx?EventID=1

04-02-22 05:25PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Nice to see Craig Savill as a coach of the Czechs.

Last edited by CURLER1 on 04-02-22 at 05:46PM

04-02-22 07:33PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Swing Artist

Don’t even have sensor handles installed. Hope WCF got their money back 🙂

04-02-22 07:48PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by southerncurler
Don’t even have sensor handles installed. Hope WCF got their money back 🙂

If you pay super close attention, the curlers have already broken some of the LEDs on these new handles. They're super bright and protruding so they are visible from all angles, but apparently they're fragile enough that they can break if you hit them with a broom. Curlers hit rocks with brooms all the time.

The older generation handles have LEDs that weren't as bright, but they were also recessed, thus not vulnerable to hits from brooms.

04-03-22 12:54AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Watching the game and there’s 50 people watching? Well done WCF.

04-03-22 02:11AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Watching the game and there’s 50 people watching? Well done WCF.

Didn't think Las Vegas was a great location; I got a been-there-done-that feel when it was announced it was going there.