Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 6 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-01-20 09:36PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Curling glossary

I'm a new fan, non-Canadian, and English isn't my first language, so the meaning of some terms/phrases are unfamiliar to me.

There's the page on Wikipedia, but this is far from complete:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_curling

Here are some questions I have:

1. What do the Swiss Germans yell on line calls? I think it almost sounds like "TIAAA!!"? No big deal, but I just want to know what the word actually is.

2. What does it mean "to paper the guard"? My guess is that it means "to go by the guard with a distance no more than the thinness of a piece of paper", but no English dictionary anywhere defines "paper" as a verb in this manner.

3. What does it mean "to play it cute"? I might've misheard/misspelled this, but I do hear it a lot. The context usually infers that there's some kind of danger in "playing cute", but the dictionary isn't particularly helpful in defining what that means for me.

4. What's this "nut" thing I keep hearing about? 2 Girls and A Game make jokes about it (e.g. "nut jam"), but I don't think they've ever clearly defined it.

I'll think of more as they come up.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-01-20 09:50PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Whoa, that glossary is way incomplete upon review now that I've learned a few things.

Right now there's no definition for "jam", "backing", "hole", "flop", etc., and I have a pretty good idea what those mean in my head. I'd still appreciate a formal definition if one of you are willing to give it a crack, though.

04-01-20 10:14PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

paper = feather (a bit less than rub). A microscopic touch
play it cute = unwarranted risk (not sure)
nut = nose hit with tight backing? (not sure)
jam = stone being removed, isn't. instead sticks to stone at back.
backing = stones (usually back of house) that could help or hinder shot
hole = port
flop = roll
Might be a few mistakes. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. Vernacular changes between regions and countries. eg, in Scotland they call a rock a stone and say the one foot instead of the button.

04-01-20 10:30PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

What about "All you..." during line calls? What the heck does that mean?

I think sometimes people congratulate someone "All you!", meaning "Be proud and take credit for what you just did!" or something like that, but in curling people seems to use "All you" while the rock is still moving, and the shot is not yet complete.

04-02-20 12:40AM
DrB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DrB Click here to Send DrB a Private Message Find more posts by DrB Add DrB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrB
Harvey Hacksmasher

paper = could mean you just barely touched a rock on the way by but usually means you just missed it (by less room than the width of a sheet of paper)
play it cute = playing a really tight line so that you risk missing the shot, usually by touching or flirting with a guard
nut = When a rock hits another rock and stays there without rolling away.
jam = when a rock is going out of play but then runs into some jam bait (other rocks that are in the way). Nut jam is when you jam a rock and it stays there without rolling away.
backing = Rocks that you can throw heavy draw weight at because if you are heavy, it will jam.
All you = Line is good so it’s all up to the sweepers (you) to get the weight right.
I have no idea what the Germans are saying.

04-02-20 01:24AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Yep, Wikipedia still missing some basic terms, "pocket", "lost (stone)", "(stone) in jail", "lock/unlock (a stone)".

What's "dead frozen" and "dead draw"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kik-aQFj9w

04-02-20 10:53AM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

And what do they mean when they yell 'have a heart' during sweeping....Lacy Burrows

04-02-20 12:04PM
DrB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DrB Click here to Send DrB a Private Message Find more posts by DrB Add DrB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrB
Harvey Hacksmasher

pocket = 2 or more rocks close enough together that if you draw to them, it would be difficult to take out your rock because every angle would jam.

lost = when a rock is so buried behind guards that you can't hit it.

in jail = usually means in trouble. like, if they freeze into this pocket, we're in jail.

lock/unlock = lock means to freeze a stone or draw to it so that the two rocks are touching. unlock means to tap a frozen rock so that it isn't touching anymore.

dead frozen = dead usually means perfect. dead frozen means drawing up to the nose of a stone so that they're touching, which makes it hard to take out.

dead draw = perfect draw weight. if you need to make a dead draw that means you can't afford to be short or deep, it needs to be perfect.

have a heart = I'm assuming this is actually 'hurry, hard', which means to sweep as hard as you can. I don't know the origin. I'm assuming hard, as in to work hard or push down on the brush hard. Hurry probably means to move the brush quickly.

keep them coming. I'll be here all... looking like awhile.

04-02-20 04:38PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

The usage I've seen uses "in jail" to refer to the stone, and seems to imply the obvious: a stone that is in jail can't easily get out of jail, i.e. it can't be easily moved/removed and may stay there for a while.

I think there's an implication that the stone might count for the end, too, and it's usually sitting somewhere in the 4-foot circle.

It can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on whose stone is in jail, yours or the opposition's.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-02-20 at 04:43PM

04-02-20 07:08PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I've said this before but I do like repeating myself......my least favourite term when discussing shots " I don't hate it".

Tell us what you like, what you prefer, what's the BEST shot in your opinion . I don't hate it is a terrible way of disagreeing without saying so.

Say so!

Your skip would rather the truth instead of a knowing you're mic'd and scrutinized answer. Pull up your big boy and girls pants and say what you think. 9 times out of 10 real input helps rather than tell them what you think they want to hear. Or worse tell them what you want to them hear, either live or under you're breath.... Hebert.

04-02-20 07:51PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

I'm a new fan, but even I know to differentiate general curling terminology vs teamspeak.

"I don't hate it!" sounds weird, I admit, but that's teamspeak, part of conversation between team members. There's team dynamics and chemistry, and there may even be elements of theatrics and deception in teamspeak.

My point is that I don't think anyone knows what "I don't hate it!" really means outside of the teams themselves.

Gerry Geurts gave an example of the "Oh, c'mon, Donny, you're heavy again!" whenever Kevin Martin secretively ask Don Bartlett to go behind the tee line around center guard on-purpose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ_wq-W5usA

I've never actually witnessed this, but I can imagine how this would've played out, and how some people might accuse Kevin of being too hard on Don, etc. It'd be great if that was the case, because that means the theatrics was convincing and the deception was successful, but you'd be wrong if you think that the words mean literally what you think they mean.

Back to your "I don't hate it" example, it may very well be that it's teamspeak for "I love this move, this is the best move, but we want to hide our true feelings and make it sound like there's a better move to deceive the opposition".

Maybe you say "I don't hate the center guard..." with a little pretend grumpiness, fully believing that it's the best shot, and maybe there's a higher chance that the guard won't be immediately peeled than if you were to enthusiastically say "Yes! I love the center guard! That would really put them in a pickle! Let's make it!".

I could be making this up, but I hope you get my point of separating teamspeak from general terminology.

Last edited by curlingclips on 04-02-20 at 08:37PM

04-02-20 09:13PM
jts84 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jts84 Find more posts by jts84 Add jts84 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jts84
Knee-Slider

I've said "All you" quite often in the house. It's basically telling the sweepers that there's no danger of crashing on anything. Sweep for weight, not worrying about line.

"Playing Cute" is when you have to get really close to a guard or rock high in the house in order to make the shot called. Guessing it stems from only wanting to get close to things you find cute.

04-03-20 07:25PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

What is "air"? What's "edge to edge" (I think these two are related? Like zero air is the same as edge to edge?).

04-03-20 07:34PM
DrB
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yup. Air means that there is space by the guard. You can see space or air between the guard and the rock that’s past it from the hack. Air can also mean you flashed a hit, like an air ball. Edge on edge or edge to edge means that from the hack, the edge of the guard is in line with the edge of the rock behind it. If the guard and rock behind it are overlapping, you could say something like I can see three quarters of it or one quarter of it, depending on whether or not you want the skip to call that shot.

Last edited by DrB on 04-03-20 at 07:36PM

04-03-20 08:00PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Another expression I don't like is "It's not the end of the world"

04-03-20 10:49PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jts84
I've said "All you" quite often in the house. It's basically telling the sweepers that there's no danger of crashing on anything. Sweep for weight, not worrying about line.

^ The more common term for that situation, of course, is "Weight only."
Or even "Line's good", or "Lots of room", or "Make sure"...

Has anyone noticed that curling is about the only sport to very regularly use "a hair" as a unit of measurement? "A hair more", "a hair less", etc. It has just become a basic curling term - pretty much every team uses it throughout every game. Even BJ, Koe, Fry, and Nichols use it, though they're bald...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 04-03-20 at 10:54PM

04-04-20 01:42AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Another measurement of years gone past, a titch more nance.

04-04-20 03:11AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
"A hair more", "a hair less", etc. It has just become a basic curling term - pretty much every team uses it throughout every game. Even BJ, Koe, Fry, and Nichols use it, though they're bald...

One has nothing to do with the other. A legless double amputee would still ask for 6 feet of social distancing.

04-04-20 08:43PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

What's the crotch and how is it different than the pocket?

I guess if you want to hit it, it's a crotch, but if you want to draw into it, it's a pocket?

04-04-20 10:39PM
DrB
Harvey Hacksmasher

yup. you'd draw or freeze into a pocket (could be more than 2 rocks) and you'd try to hit the crotch, which means hitting 2 rocks basically at the same time. If the rocks are close together, your rock would stay there, like a nose hit, but if the rocks were further apart, you could squeeze right through the crotch. I don't think I've ever heard someone say they were going to lob a draw into the crotch, but why not.

04-05-20 03:43PM
Phil_D is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Phil_D Click here to Send Phil_D a Private Message Visit Phil_D's homepage! Find more posts by Phil_D Add Phil_D to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Phil_D
Drawmaster

Re: Curling glossary

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

1. What do the Swiss Germans yell on line calls? I think it almost sounds like "TIAAA!!"? No big deal, but I just want to know what the word actually is.

I always heard something like "TIAAA!" as well.

It has been explained to me that what they're actually yelling is "ZIEH!" which essentially means "pull" or "drag."

Co-host of the NerdCurl podcast & occasional blogger.

http://www.nerdcurl.com

04-06-20 07:08PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

How would you define a "saver"?

I have some idea, but I just want to make sure.

What's the scope of a "saver"? Can you have a saver on the 1st end, or is it only reserved for the last end of the game?

Do you have to have the hammer to even have a saver?

04-06-20 10:41PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by DrB
jam = when a rock is going out of play but then runs into some jam bait (other rocks that are in the way).
backing = Rocks that you can throw heavy draw weight at because if you are heavy, it will jam.

I want to improve the Wikipedia article, so I need more precision here.

For it to be a jam, does it have to be a takeout where the goal was to take it out of play? What if the goal was to just bump it back 4 ft, but it only went 2 ft because it hit another rock? Wouldn't you also call that a jam?

With regards to backing, you said you can draw heavy at it because it will jam. But would you really call it a jam when talking about the thrown rock? Wouldn't you reserve it to a target rock that was stationary when you throw your rock?

04-07-20 11:45AM
DrB
Harvey Hacksmasher

It sounds like you’re referring to a ‘skip saver’? Usually means in the last end of a game, the team with hammer has a potentially winning rock in the house in the wings (not causing trouble). The skip can then afford to hit and roll out on their last rock in theory and still win the game because of the other rock in the house, the saver. For that definition, it would have to be in the last end, but the score isn’t as important, as long as the ‘saver’ would be the winning point. If you want to complicate things, I think technically for a team with hammer, a saver only comes into play in the last end. But I think a team without last rock can have a saver in any end, referring to a rock that causes a force. As in, if the other team sticks this run back, it’s only for 1 because of our saver on the other side of the house.

For a jam, I don’t think it has to be a takeout. Any rock that has been contacted and prevented from being moved as far as planned because another rock is in the way has jammed. If we’re getting into semantics, I think jam is more of an action or verb, not a noun or adjective. For instance, jam-bait refers to a stationary rock in the house that could be jammed. But you could also say we jammed our rock into the backing, referring to the thrown rock jamming. Both relate to the action of jamming a stone.

Last edited by DrB on 04-07-20 at 11:53AM

04-07-20 07:29PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

This is way more complicated than necessary if I want to be accurate.

For example, what's "skip's deuce"? How would you define it if skip is not fourth?

Team BC at 2020 Brier, for example, has Laycock as skip at third and Cotter at fourth. If they score a deuce with Cotter's 2 rocks, is that a "skip's deuce"?

What if they score a deuce with Laycock's 2 rocks? He is the skip, so maybe that's a skip's deuce, but that's not the team's last 2 rocks, which I think is perhaps more of what the term is about.

I'd figure that you have to have hammer to get a skip's deuce, right? Is it even a deuce if it's a steal of 2?