Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Should Canada adopt the No-Tick rule for 2023 Brier/Scotties?

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-30-22 08:06PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Should Canada adopt the No-Tick rule for 2023 Brier/Scotties?

WCF is applying the No-Tick rule for all events in 2022-2023 season, except mixed doubles.

https://s3.eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/...23_23092022.pdf

Should Canada use this rule for 2023 Brier/Scotties?

Here are some Canadian curlers who have voiced their opinions:

Joanne Courtney on That Curling Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s80BxcUJ234&t=59m18s
"I think anything that's happening at Worlds, you have to do at your national championships. [...] Curling is obviously evolving, [...] we need to try to keep up in Canada."

Reid Carruthers on That Curling Show
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Z2WQmrg6U&t=35m14s
"I think we're doing an injustice if we're not actually having the no-tick rule implemented at the Brier and Scotties now. [...] If we want our teams to win, we should prepare them the way they're going to need to win at the World level. I would expect it to be coming!"

Joanne Courtney followup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Z2WQmrg6U&t=56m1s
"I feel like as a country on the curling side, the way the nationals, everything, we're very slow to change! We need to start being ready to pivot faster, to implement things, to be more flexible in how we're approaching things!"

Mike Harris followup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5Z2WQmrg6U&t=58m7s
"My view on it: [...] If the Worlds are doing it, we should be doing it at Canadian curling level, and we should be doing it at the provincial level".

Please share other opinions by Canadian curlers that you can find. I'm especially interested in hearing from those who are against adopting the rule for Brier/Scotties.

Last edited by curlingclips on 09-30-22 at 09:22PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-30-22 10:22PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

They’re already using it in US curling. The No-ticks-on-the-center-line rule was in use throughout the US Open in Blaine last week.

10-07-22 02:46AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Nolan Thiessen on That Curling Show says "we're obviously looking at it for our events as well, and that will likely flow down to the member associations playdowns as well".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvZu5UNpCN8&t=36m40s

10-07-22 11:57AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

If it's now used at worlds it should be for Canadian championships too. Plus they're all playing with it at the slam events so it's not new to the players.

10-07-22 02:32PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
If it's now used at worlds it should be for Canadian championships too.

That sounds simple enough, but it didn't happen for 2022 Brier/Scotties. I think only Switzerland used NTZ in their national championships in 2022.

Mike Harris (executive director of Northern Ontario Curling Association) and Nolan Thiessen (executive director at Curling Canada) seem to suggest that it's actually much harder to make any kind of changes to the Brier/Scotties than it seems. Lots of insiders have said the same thing (e.g. Warren Hansen).

10-07-22 07:17PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

You asked for my opinion not my plan.

10-07-22 09:32PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Brier/Scotties have always been different from Worlds, and it's debatable how closely should one model the former after the latter.

For example, Joanne Courtney argued that Canada should get rid of Page playoff, simply because WCF got rid of it at Worlds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s80BxcUJ234&t=59m33s

I've argued that there should be bronze medal games in Brier/Scotties, simply because WCF has bronze medal games at Worlds.

There are numerous other differences too, of course, e.g. 1 timeout at Worlds vs 2 in Canada.

So I think most people accept that Brier/Scotties and Worlds should be different to some degree. How this relates to NTZ is debatable, especially since it's still a trial rule after all.

10-14-22 02:21PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

2023 Brier/Scotties will use WCF's NTZ. No mention if it will trickle down to provincials.

https://www.curling.ca/blog/2022/10...l-no-tick-rule/

10-15-22 02:55PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Looks like my plan of not having a plan worked!

10-15-22 05:08PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Personally I think it would have been cooler if Curling Canada chose to reject NTZ for 2023 Brier/Scotties, but the teams all publicly conspire that they will respect NTZ for those events.

Basically it means that they will not call the tick shot deliberately, and if a shot is missed and it looks like it's going to wreck on a center guard, they can just burn the stone and prevent the tick from happening. I'm sure lots of viewers would be frothing at the mouth with anger, but it would have been a nice gesture from the elite players, all of whom are in favor of NTZ as far as I can tell.

Alternatively, if they hate NTZ that much, they can go the complete opposite way and just ignore NTZ violations, i.e. non-offending teams publicly promise that they will always use the second option to forgive tick shot infractions by leaving the stones be. Imagine if all teams in both Canada and Worlds conspire to do this, and just call tick shots like it's still 2021.

Last edited by curlingclips on 10-15-22 at 07:15PM