Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2020 Scotties in Moose Jaw

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 11 of 11 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-24-20 03:15AM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
I’m really looking forward to Worlds now. Hasselborg, Muirhead, and Fujisawa will have several extremely good new-to-Worlds teams to contend with this time, and I’ve got a feeling Einarson’s squad will acquit themselves much better than the last few Teams Canada have there.

Congratulations to the team Einarson's Hearts breakthrough after 6 years of Homan-Jones-Carey rotation. Other countries are showing their depth at the worlds. Fujisawa at the head of 4 Japanese teams in top 21, Stern at the head of 4 Swiss teams in the top 24 and Gim is the lowest ranked of 3 Korean teams in the top 17. Looks like 7 of the top 11 ranked teams will be in Prince George.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-24-20 03:33AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Nice game. Entertaining and close - some could easily argue unnecessarily so, Manitoba having been comfortably in control.

Einerson's touch shot in the 6th was beautiful. We all dream of making shots like that. To make it in the most important game of one's career is quite special.
I would have thrown the take-out all day in the 10th - and I said that before she threw the draw too heavy. The take-out was there - it didn't have to be perfect - just had to get a piece of it - any piece - could pick it out, could jam it, and it would have been fine - just needed to get rid of one of them...

The on-site crowd was disappointing. We keep hearing how curling is king in the prairies... but the place was only half full for the National Championships Final. They had better crowds earlier when the home team was still playing.
Were tickets overpriced again?

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

02-24-20 07:11AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by On The Nose
t

The on-site crowd was disappointing. We keep hearing how curling is king in the prairies... but the place was only half full for the National Championships Final. They had better crowds earlier when the home team was still playing.
Were tickets overpriced again?

According to the CC game reports attendance for the week was less than 60 000, Long gone are the attendance figures of 100 K. When you look at the CC staff list and see over 40 people you know why prices have to keep going up and up.

02-24-20 08:01AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

Glad MB won the game. Now Canada will have a team that will be even easier to cheer for. Great personalities all around, I was particularly impressed with the front end. They are a pair of thoroughbreds that have proven to be a dominant force. I like Canada’s chances now to make the final at their world’s.

02-24-20 08:17AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Congrats to Kerri, Val, Shannon and Briane. What a great bunch of gals. Their performance this week was unforgettable and I'm so Happy for them. Also want to thank Team Homan for a great week of curling and such grand entertainment. And to Team Einarson, best of luck in Prince George. This time you'll have a whole country cheering for you. Congrats again ladies, keep at it.

02-24-20 08:47AM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Frozencanuck
Just watched the final game. Do Russ and Cheryl realise there is another team on the ice besides Homan’s? If only Sports Net could do the Scottie’s

No kidding. I sometimes think I am too hard on Russ and then he goes off the charts last night. Every end he was having team Einarson in some kind of trouble but all they were doing was controlling all the ends. Just because you won 2 world titles many many years ago does not make you relevant today. I know TSN production crews are great but the on air ones not so much.

02-24-20 09:17AM
curlonceayear is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlonceayear Find more posts by curlonceayear Add curlonceayear to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlonceayear
Knee-Slider

Maybe not have the Scotties in the same small city 5 years apart?

That's asking a lot of the population of the surrounding area to support and pay to come watch the game live instead of on TV again.

Are there so few locations that they consider profitable/successful hosts?

02-24-20 09:22AM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

Disappointed to see so many empty seats. It's not very often Saskatchewan disappoints me, (except elections, calling for the quarterbacks head on sports talk radio two games into the season) but I was last night.
The economy has been better, in fact the name holder of the arena in MJ just finished a major layoff, but there was a time when "Saskatchewan tough" meant rallying around events and guaranteeing their success. Even in tough times.
Yes, call me a hypocrite because my ass was one that wasn't in a seat. If I could have afforded hotel I would have been.
It's just that I thought there would be enough local fans in the Moose Jaw-Regina area to rock that place.
Times change.
Not necessarily for the better.

02-24-20 10:56AM
jonren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jonren Click here to Send jonren a Private Message Find more posts by jonren Add jonren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jonren
Harvey Hacksmasher

I was in attendance in Moose Jaw this weekend and the rink was pretty empty (with the exception of Friday evening when Sask was still playing). Tickets per draw were around $40 with tax and service fees so pretty expensive IMO.

02-24-20 11:20AM
dinorock2005 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dinorock2005 Find more posts by dinorock2005 Add dinorock2005 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jonren
I was in attendance in Moose Jaw this weekend and the rink was pretty empty (with the exception of Friday evening when Sask was still playing). Tickets per draw were around $40 with tax and service fees so pretty expensive IMO.
It's a hit, that is for sure.
The other day I found a ticket stub from the Buffalo Bills VS Atlanta Falcons, either 1991 or 92.
$31 USD.
I wonder what that same seat is worth today.

02-24-20 11:25AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I've seen a lot of criticism of jen in here the past week from her screaming to her calls and ice reading. It's only natural so.eone declines. I dont remember stoughton, or martin or howard now getting tje criticism she does.

Hard as it may he for fans to watch or even non fans let's remember one doesnt owe anyone anything. Just try and enjoy watching her while you still can be cause I have a feeling it wont be for much longer. Also, she just finished 3rd at the scotties and qualified regularily in slams. She might be what she once was but clearly shes still doing enough right to still have decent success

02-24-20 11:33AM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

I know as much about Western Canadian life as I do about why my kids watch YouTube videos of other people watching YouTube videos..

So help me out... Is it normal to hold an event like this 60 minutes away from a city whose population is below a quarter million.. and expect big attendance? I mean, Moose Jaw seems like a lovely place, but according to the good Wikipedia folks, it's a small city (for a big event). There must be hotels and stuff, but how many hotels and how much infrastructure can a city that small have? Logistically, unless you live in Regina, it's not a go in the morning, go home at night kinda place, so it has to be a destination - And no one wants to stay an hour away from a locale on a vacation.

It seems like a big ask expecting a city like that to deal with 3,000 extra people every day for a week.

I get why you want to move it around the country - but why logistically does a place like that work? Sydney, Penticton - those are each a little bigger, but similarly a pain in the five hole to make a destination... What don't I get? What TSN pays, and the coverage it gets speaks to an event that could (should?) be a much bigger deal. Thuder Bay next year is a much bigger area, and St. Catharines a few years ago is Much easier to get to.

Maybe these things that as an American in a (reasonably) urban area - but I DO understand the Convention and Visitors Bureau Industry... help!

02-24-20 11:40AM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Funny thing about Jen Jones. Her games, for the most part are the most exciting affairs in the women's game. A hi-wire risk-taker, Jones has taken aggressive strategy to new heights.

This is true. If I knew someone was putting up a seven this week, I would have bet $100 it would have been for-or-against Jones, and I would have doubled down on the game still being close after it.

02-24-20 11:44AM
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters
I know as much about Western Canadian life as I do about why my kids watch YouTube videos of other people watching YouTube videos..

So help me out... Is it normal to hold an event like this 60 minutes away from a city whose population is below a quarter million.. and expect big attendance? I mean, Moose Jaw seems like a lovely place, but according to the good Wikipedia folks, it's a small city (for a big event). There must be hotels and stuff, but how many hotels and how much infrastructure can a city that small have? Logistically, unless you live in Regina, it's not a go in the morning, go home at night kinda place, so it has to be a destination - And no one wants to stay an hour away from a locale on a vacation.

It seems like a big ask expecting a city like that to deal with 3,000 extra people every day for a week.

I get why you want to move it around the country - but why logistically does a place like that work? Sydney, Penticton - those are each a little bigger, but similarly a pain in the five hole to make a destination... What don't I get? What TSN pays, and the coverage it gets speaks to an event that could (should?) be a much bigger deal. Thuder Bay next year is a much bigger area, and St. Catharines a few years ago is Much easier to get to.

Maybe these things that as an American in a (reasonably) urban area - but I DO understand the Convention and Visitors Bureau Industry... help!

We drive out here.
The Regina/Moose Jaw highway is daily full of commuters-both ways.
An hours drive is nothing out here, and for many a daily occurrence.
The rural areas surrounding should also help the attendance for these events.
As for hotels Moose Jaw is a semi-tourist town (hello Big Al) but some fans would have to stay in Regina.
The local hockey team fills that arena. Curling should have as well.

02-24-20 12:03PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

After Homan & Einarson there aren't too many elite super teams in Canadian women's curling. Here's the list, tell me if I missed some -

1. Tracy Fleury - a patched together squad of Einarson's rejects. In tough vs. superior competition.

2. Robyn Silvernagle - showed tons of warts & flaws in her hometown. Had much better outing last year.

3. Alberta Sister Act - off year due to pregnancy of skip; still a tough out in years to come.

4. Chelsea Carey - you get what you got w/ Carey; a moody performer who can run the table or serve tables.

5. Jennifer Jones - former super-shooter still has the ice smarts - just lacks routine shot-making power. Panics early when falling behind, especially with one of the best teams in the land behind her.

6. Mackenzie Zacharias - might not threaten the ladies for a few years to come - but my early favorite to challenge Fleury & others for Manitoba title next season.

7. Corryn Brown (BC) - the coast's best hope. Still needs to polish their game.

You might have a point about there not being a ton of top tier teams in canadian womens curling right now. But ien still beats most top international teams when they meet.

And you still dont address why she gets so much criticism compared to declined top mens teams. I mean...does it really just boil down to that she's a woman

It just seems I creasing ugly more popular to take shots at jen on here while Howard gets applauded for still doing as well as he does.

Last edited by misty1 on 02-24-20 at 12:05PM

02-24-20 12:23PM
dinorock2005
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Local hockey team doesn't have all their games televised (mostly radio I would think)

Plus its a local team.

Nobody would come out to see Suzanne Birt take on Kerry Galusha, would they?

Moose Jaw is 60,000 or 70,000 depending on who you follow. Regina is only 50 miles away - population of 250,000 to 265,000. Hundreds of small towns in southern and middle sask'n populations of 400 to 6,500.

Look how a small village like Rivers (2.5 hrs from Winnipeg) did with Manitoba Scotties.

Brandon will get back in the lineup for Scotties & Brier action; perhaps even a worlds.

Same for London, ON, Red Deer, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Kingston, Ottawa, Edmonton, etc.

You pretty much check marked every point I made.
The only thing I will add is
1 - I would come out to see those two teams. Especially since there are six more teams playing at the same time, in a national championship.
2 - It might not be local but it's a national championship!

Not looking for a fight big guy. I do find it very easy to stand behind my statement that the crowds should have better.

02-24-20 12:50PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

The other thing I want to say is that we had a brilliant and dramatic final. On personal preference I'd rank this 3rd in the last 5 years in terms of quality in final.after the 2016 and 2018 finals. What concerns me is that when the move to 8 ends happens we will lose this kind of final.

Hypothetically if this final was played in an 8 end format what are the odds homan continues after kerri scored 2 in 6. Down 4 with 2 ends to go is a lot different than down 4 with 4 ends to go. Down 4 with 4 tou still feel theres time. You will still need help, sure but it feels a lot different than if you have only 2 ends to pull it off.

I'm just afraid tje shift to 8 ends is going to produce a lot of quick ending games. Which 9s a shame when you consider the fantastic finals we have been treated to recently

02-24-20 01:01PM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Hitting Paint

Weird stat

A few years ago Val sweeting had a team of Joanne Courtney, Rachel Brown and Dana Ferguson. They lost the Scotties Final (2014). As of this year all four of them have now won the Scotties (on 3 different teams). How good would they have been if they stayed together?

02-24-20 02:20PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

It will be a fun worlds and an unpredictable one. Kerri will be favored to win and deservedly so but, much like carey this team is unpredictable. One week they can look unbeatable and set yo dominate like they did at the scotties. Then next week they look average.

They are fully capable of winning it all and I wouldnt be surprised at all if they did. If tjey play Luke they did at the scotties only hasselborg could stop them. But there are a lot of very good teams there. Muirhead, Peterson,Kovaleva, stern, gim and fujisawa. If they are off I could also see them missing podium all together. But my early prediction for the podium is this:

Gold - sweden
Silver - canada
Bronze- united states

02-25-20 01:16AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by jonren

Curling Canada's figure of 60,000 tickets sold - mentioned by 'decade' earlier - is almost certainly inflated, as these things usually are. Perhaps they even doubled the actual number.

The Curling Canada accountants still have not figured out that if they lower the price (say, from $40 to $25 or $30), they will SELL MORE TICKETS.
This has been going on for many years.
Selling more tickets puts more behinds in more seats.
And more behinds in more seats looks better on TV and in person, creates a better atmosphere, sells more food, drink, and souvenirs, and shows people watching on TV that this is an important event.
And when people see that it’s an important event, they will be more likely to attend in person (either that year, or in subsequent years when it is held closer to their home).
And when those people attend in person, more tickets will inherently be sold.
And when more tickets are sold... etc., etc.

I mean, damn... if you have a choice between selling 1000 tickets at $40 each, or 2000 tickets at $20 each, only a complete fool would choose the $40 option.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

02-25-20 07:26AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
It will be a fun worlds and an unpredictable one. Kerri will be favored to win and deservedly so but, much like carey this team is unpredictable. One week they can look unbeatable and set yo dominate like they did at the scotties. Then next week they look average.

They are fully capable of winning it all and I wouldnt be surprised at all if they did. If tjey play Luke they did at the scotties only hasselborg could stop them. But there are a lot of very good teams there. Muirhead, Peterson,Kovaleva, stern, gim and fujisawa. If they are off I could also see them missing podium all together. But my early prediction for the podium is this:

Gold - sweden
Silver - canada
Bronze- united states

I’ve a much better team this year...I think coach Patti has a lot to do with their improvement

02-25-20 09:03AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Northern Ontario players and coach in a plane crash on take off from Dryden.

https://www.tbnewswatch.com/local-n...s1RF50Mt4PZ05QA

02-25-20 03:59PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

I know y'all are Canadian here - and I can't think of a worse place to post this comment than the Scotties thread - but since we've brought up Peterson - do we know if Team Roth/Peterson is obliged to stay team Roth when she finishes maternity leave - Can they become Team Peterson with Roth third, or Peterson skipping from 3?

02-27-20 06:29PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters
I know y'all are Canadian here - and I can't think of a worse place to post this comment than the Scotties thread - but since we've brought up Peterson - do we know if Team Roth/Peterson is obliged to stay team Roth when she finishes maternity leave - Can they become Team Peterson with Roth third, or Peterson skipping from 3?

I don't think that they are obliged to do anything. I do think that US Curling will have a difficult decision on how this team will go moving forward.