Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2022 World Men's Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 10 of 10 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-16-22 09:35PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Frykenstein

Not interested in your reality/opinion, Homer. Look at the numbers.

Find ten Canadian men's teams with a winning % well above .500 vs. Top 50 teams, because that's who generally medals at Worlds or the Olympics.

Yes, flukes happen. But Retornaz, who played very well vs. the Top 50 this season--better than nearly all the Canadian men's teams on your Top 15 list--isn't one.

I just looked at the Players and Scott Howard beat them. Kind of proves my point. All the stats you keep bringing up are meaningless. Many Cdn teams aren't on tour especially during Covid but some are competitive with Team Italy. I'm starting to think you've never competed I've played enough to evaluate quality on the ice.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 04-16-22 at 09:40PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-16-22 09:48PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender

I just looked at the Players and Scott Howard beat them. Kind of proves my point. All the stats you keep bringing up are meaningless. Many Cdn teams aren't on tour especially during Covid but they are competitve with Team Italy.

FYI Retornaz played in the Stu sells Halifax last November leading up to Europeans to get some ice time. They made the 1/4 finals but lost. Good team but in a tier 2 type spiel with a few other euro teams there, came up short. The locals were better. Check the scores.

PS they were great guys almost semi celebrities with the limited local fans. Embraced the locals. Many fans routing for them since.

04-16-22 09:54PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Prawnpuller
It is very clear that the 3 top Mens teams on the planet are Edin , Gushue and Mouat. After that you could pick the next 30 top teams from any country ( would be dominated by Canadien teams) ) in the world and if you put them into a playoff there would be a different winner every event. That’s my humble opinion and I’m sticking to it😬

Basically but you could throw a few more Cdn teams on that elite tier prior to break up ( Koe, Jacobs, McEwan, maybe Bottcher ). The other poster has recency bias thinking concerning Team Italy. The point though is many Cdn teams would be medal contenders if they somehow won the Brier. Team Italy and others just show up and play.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 04-16-22 at 09:57PM

04-16-22 11:51PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Prawnpuller
It is very clear that the 3 top Mens teams on the planet are Edin , Gushue and Mouat. After that you could pick the next 30 top teams from any country ( would be dominated by Canadien teams) ) in the world and if you put them into a playoff there would be a different winner every event. That’s my humble opinion and I’m sticking to it😬

Yes this is exactly what myself and a few others were saying in our league just after the Olympics. Those 3 men's teams on the podium are on a higher level than all of the rest. In Canada we always like to think we have depth to compete but not against Mouat and Edin on a consistent basis. This is evident with this week's Slam although more proof was not required. Maybe this will change but can't see it in the short run .

04-17-22 07:37AM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by prairie guy

Yes this is exactly what myself and a few others were saying in our league just after the Olympics. Those 3 men's teams on the podium are on a higher level than all of the rest. In Canada we always like to think we have depth to compete but not against Mouat and Edin on a consistent basis. This is evident with this week's Slam although more proof was not required. Maybe this will change but can't see it in the short run .

Things change every Olympic cycle. It wouldn't shock me to see Homan and Koe win world titles in 2 years yet neither is being considered elite now by some. Mouat will have some staying power but Edin's getting older who knows.

04-17-22 10:43AM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Nine Ender
I just looked at the Players and Scott Howard beat them. Kind of proves my point. All the stats you keep bringing up are meaningless. Many Cdn teams aren't on tour especially during Covid but some are competitive with Team Italy. I'm starting to think you've never competed I've played enough to evaluate quality on the ice.

So your point is that Retornaz is mediocre because he lost to Howard? I thought you were arguing that Howard, among many other top Cdn men's teams, are top contenders. In which case, they <i>should</i> beat the lowly/lucky Retornaz, right? Which is it?

By the way, Retornaz def. Jacobs a few draws earlier at the Players. See? I can also cherry pick random games to "prove" my point.

Still waiting for you to defend your original contention--with something other than your self-proclaimed expert evaluative skills--that there are 15-20 Canadian men's teams who would contend for a medal in int'l play.

An entire season's worth of "meaningless" stats suggest that's not true. All you've provided are your opinions, a persistent attempt the change the subject to Joel Retornaz (and w/o much success), and now a shift to ad hominem arguments (i.e., I must not have ever "competed").

But please, continue. Tell me more about your opinions. I've enjoyed watching you move the goalposts. Must be good, valuable exercise for a competitor such as yourself.

04-17-22 02:00PM
MKL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MKL Find more posts by MKL Add MKL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MKL
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Retornaz's record against Top 50 teams this year was well above .500, so their success at Worlds maybe isn't the fluke you're suggesting it is.

But go ahead. Find 20 Canadian teams who fared significantly better against Top 50 teams this season than Retornaz did. I'll wait. (Hint: Koe and Bottcher were comparable, but not markedly better.)

I think I may see a problem with the idea that a team's record against other top 50 teams in the world can be a true determination of the team's quality. It may be a good indicator, but maybe not a be-all end-all stat.

I think we can all agree that the top 10 teams are much better than teams 25-50. If a team plays more games against top 5 or top 10 teams (for example, Grand Slam teams), than a team who plays more games against lower ranked teams, then the former team has a much more difficult schedule than the latter team. This can obviously effect their winning percentage overall, especially for the lower level teams competing at the Slams.

I don't know what your methodology was, and I definitely have no interest in doing it myself, but I would be curious to see what a weighted win-loss percentage would be for the teams, for instance against top 10 teams, 10-20, 20-30, 30-40, and 40-50.

04-17-22 11:06PM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:

So your point is that Retornaz is mediocre because he lost to Howard? I thought you were arguing that Howard, among many other top Cdn men's teams, are top contenders. In which case, they <i>should</i> beat the lowly/lucky Retornaz, right? Which is it?

By the way, Retornaz def. Jacobs a few draws earlier at the Players. See? I can also cherry pick random games to "prove" my point.

Still waiting for you to defend your original contention--with something other than your self-proclaimed expert evaluative skills--that there are 15-20 Canadian men's teams who would contend for a medal in int'l play.

An entire season's worth of "meaningless" stats suggest that's not true. All you've provided are your opinions, a persistent attempt the change the subject to Joel Retornaz (and w/o much success), and now a shift to ad hominem arguments (i.e., I must not have ever "competed").

But please, continue. Tell me more about your opinions. I've enjoyed watching you move the goalposts. Must be good, valuable exercise for a competitor such as yourself.

I'll give you that my ballpark numbers were a little high ( mainly due to some aging/retirements and consolidation on some of the teams ). I see 5 strong Gold medial threats.and 10-11 medal threats but as many as 15 or 16 given this years field.

Fournier and Flemming are ranked #16 and #17 to give readers an idea what I base this on. The luxury of a free pass to finals, funding, coaching, would make any of these teams stronger the year of the event.

04-18-22 12:11AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

?

I’m a little confused here. Frykenstein nine ender and MKL, Are your statements about Retornaz, Fournier and Flemming an insult or a pat on the back for them? Both Flemming and Fournier are good Canadian teams without the time, money, and big sponsorship dollars to travel like the top teams. Both similar skill sets. Flemming one of the top curlers in Canada with little respect from the big money curlers.
FYI your boy Retornaz came to NS and played in the Stu Sells last November to get some ice time before the Europeans. Great guys. Semi celebrities with the local fans. He and Flemming both made the 1/4 finals and lost. Many other teams advanced including Fournier without Fournier. Check the listing here on CZ events.
Don’t understand why you’d pump up or sarcastically try to trash either team. Am I missing something?

I say well done Retornaz on their year. Same for Fournier and Flemming.

I’ll ask this. As good as Retornaz is, how would they fare at either the pretrials or trials in Canada. Wouldn’t make the playoffs let alone qualify in the trials, outside chance at the pretrials.
That’s top 20 or so in Canada let alone the world.
Yeah yeah you play a lot and travel a lot and get points, doesn’t make you better than top teams on the ice, only on paper and calculators.
Sorry Easter rant.

Last edited by IN-OFF-FOR-2 on 04-18-22 at 12:17AM

04-18-22 12:40AM
MKL is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MKL Find more posts by MKL Add MKL to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MKL
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: ?

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
I’m a little confused here. Frykenstein nine ender and MKL, Are your statements about Retornaz, Fournier and Flemming an insult or a pat on the back for them? Both Flemming and Fournier are good Canadian teams without the time, money, and big sponsorship dollars to travel like the top teams. Both similar skill sets. Flemming one of the top curlers in Canada with little respect from the big money curlers.
FYI your boy Retornaz came to NS and played in the Stu Sells last November to get some ice time before the Europeans. Great guys. Semi celebrities with the local fans. He and Flemming both made the 1/4 finals and lost. Many other teams advanced including Fournier without Fournier. Check the listing here on CZ events.
Don’t understand why you’d pump up or sarcastically try to trash either team. Am I missing something?

I’ll ask this. As good as Retornaz is, how would they fare at either the pretrials or trials in Canada. Wouldn’t make the playoffs let alone qualify in the trials, outside chance at the pretrials.
Yeah yeah you play a lot and travel a lot and get points, doesn’t make you better than top teams on the ice, only on paper and calculators.
Sorry Easter rant.

My statement has nothing to do with any specific team, just my opinion against the idea that a team's record against Top 50 teams is a good way of rating teams. It may be, I don't know. I also don't know how such ratings effect the teams you mentioned, or any teams for that matter. The only point that I was trying to make is that, generally, a team that plays more games against Top 10 teams and less games against lower ranked teams has a more difficult schedule, and that will probably be reflected in their winning percentages. I'm not disparaging teams that don't or can't travel and tour, in fact I didn't mention any teams specifically. I think that it is reasonable to assume that any Grand Slam team would end up playing more games against other Grand Slam teams, and that that may lower their winning percentages against Top 50 teams, especially those teams that are in positions 11-15(16) of the Grand Slam field. Its not the fault of non-Grand Slam teams that they may not play as many games against Top 10 teams in a season, but I'm thinking it is probably a fact. I am thus criticizing the concept of ranking teams based on their record against Top 50 teams, without taking into account their records against Top 10 teams, and also their records against teams with lower rankings.

P.S. Please re-read my one post on this subject. I don't believe that I was even the least bit sarcastic, nor did I put anyone down or pump them up. If you disagree, please tell me how?

Last edited by MKL on 04-18-22 at 12:43AM

04-18-22 11:39AM
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

Sorry Easter rant.

My posts are supportive of all these teams; I'm assessing them as basically similar strength teams with different circumstances dictating what they can win. We are 100% in agreement. I only mentioned the rankings, which I called mostly meaningless, because the other guy is bringing them up, I stand by my posted opinions except that when I looked more carefully there were only 5 gold medal threats ( not 7 or 8 ) and the medal threats 15-20 was a little high. If we go back 4-6 years ago that count was more justifiable. I agree Flemming etc are kind of hidden gems also teams like Murphy, Simmons, Cotter depending on their lineups and schedule. Epping may even be a gold medal threat but their season kind of went the wrong way and John's a streaky player. I'm sure some people will disagree with me but the point is there is plenty of overlooked talent in Canada.

Team Italy may be on the upswing so evaluating them may be pointless they may have already gotten better since Xmas. Strong season we'll see if there's continuation or more next year.

Last edited by Nine Ender on 04-18-22 at 06:22PM

04-18-22 09:03PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
I’m a little confused here. Frykenstein nine ender and MKL, Are your statements about Retornaz, Fournier and Flemming an insult or a pat on the back for them?

Not meant to insult or congratulate anybody. Just making an observation based on what the data imply.

This is not a Grand Unified Theory of curling success. It's a reply to Nine Ender's original claim that Canada's top 15-20 men's teams would contend for a medal at the Olys or Worlds, and 6-8 would vie for gold.

Competitors at the Olys and Worlds this year were almost universally Top 50. So my premise is this: if you don't typically win most of your games against Top 50 teams, you're not going to contend for a medal at the Olys or Worlds.

Here's the Top 30-ranked teams as of this week, along with their W-L record and winning % against Top 50 teams this season (at the time of the event), as recorded on CZ. (The Players results are not included, nor were any events--usually in August--where WTR figures were not listed on CZ.) They're further averaged in groups of five. Asterisks mark medals won this season at Olys or Worlds. Typos or miscounts likely.
===================

** Gushue: 43-11 (80%)
** Edin: 36-14 (72%)
* Mouat: 35-9 (80%)
Koe: 29-17 (63%)
Jacobs: 31-12 (72%)
AVG: 73%

Bottcher: 20-18 (53%)
* Retornaz: 31-22 (58%)
Howard: 28-22 (56%)
Dunstone: 23-24 (49%)
Flasch: 30-21 (59%)
AVG: 55%

Schwaller: 22-23 (49%)
Whyte: 23-16 (58%)
Walstad: 24-12 (66%)
Gunnlaugson: 23-33 (41%)
McEwen: 26-21 (55%)
AVG: 54%

Hoesli: 14-10 (58%)
de Cruz: 23-21 (52%)
Epping: 14-24 (37%)
Simmons: 18-12 (60%)
Totzek: 14-29 (33%)
AVG: 48%

Horgan: 15-20 (43%)
Hartung: 8-10 (44%)
Sturmay: 13-27 (33%)
Shuster: 14-12 (54%)
Stocker: 9-14 (39%)
AVG: 43%

Paterson: 6-17 (26%)
Tardi: 15-16 (48%)
Fournier: 9-10 (48%)
Dropkin: 15-16 (48%)
Ramsfjell: 7-14 (33%)
AVG: 41%
======================

There's an obvious elite at the very top, a significant drop to the second tier, and then a gradual decline.

It's clear that Canada has several (4? 5?) of the world's very best teams. Any of them should contend for gold. But it is a stretch to say that the Top 15 or 20 Canadian teams would contend for a medal. They would likely not do so, because they don't play well enough against that competition, and as long as there are a few excellent non-Canadian teams at these events (e.g., Mouat, Edin), there's very little room left on the podium.

Yes, flukes happen--Shuster's W-L in 2018 was barely above 50%, and he won Oly gold. OTOH, some teams tank. I don't know what Koe's % was that year, but he almost certainly underperformed in Korea. He was, I think, the first Canadian team to lose to the US in the Olys, and did it twice.

Canada may have more depth than any other country--it's not really even close--but most of those teams still don't win enough at the highest level to have a reliable shot at playoffs, let alone the podium.

Last edited by Frykenstein on 04-19-22 at 08:08AM

02-13-24 01:03AM
ahsanrashid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ahsanrashid Find more posts by ahsanrashid Add ahsanrashid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ahsanrashid
Knee-Slider

new dress

i am seeing new dress for girls

02-13-24 06:29AM
meerakofficial is offline Click Here to See the Profile for meerakofficial Find more posts by meerakofficial Add meerakofficial to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
meerakofficial
Harvey Hacksmasher

Explore the variety of party wear dress online at Meerak. Meerak presents the latest collection of party dresses online all over Pakistan at affordable prices. Grab your favorite dress today.

02-13-24 07:42AM
GulaalOfficial is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GulaalOfficial Find more posts by GulaalOfficial Add GulaalOfficial to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GulaalOfficial
Harvey Hacksmasher

women clothing brand

Discover the perfect women clothing brand that combines style and quality. Where we are committed to providing excellence and elegance in ladies wear suits. Enhance your wardrobe with our wide range of trendy clothes designed for any kind of event. Shop now to get the latest designs.

02-14-24 02:10AM
ECS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ECS Find more posts by ECS Add ECS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ECS
Harvey Hacksmasher

slippers

Shop the latest collection of slippers for ladies online at ECS. Discover the newest collection of stylish and trendy women's slippers online at the best prices. Find the perfect addition to your wardrobe.

02-14-24 02:56AM
jazmin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jazmin Find more posts by jazmin Add jazmin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jazmin
Harvey Hacksmasher

sale on brands

Are you looking for sale on brands in Pakistan? So come to Jazmin and get a sale on the latest dresses in all over Pakistan with fast delivery. Do not miss out on this opportunity to update your wardrobe with our massive collection. Shop Now!

02-14-24 03:03AM
borjan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for borjan Find more posts by borjan Add borjan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
borjan
Harvey Hacksmasher

Shop for the latest collection of women shoes at Borjan. Find the perfect pair of shoes to complete your look.

02-14-24 03:28AM
declare is offline Click Here to See the Profile for declare Visit declare's homepage! Find more posts by declare Add declare to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
declare
Harvey Hacksmasher

Women Clothing Brands

Explore the top Women Clothing Brands in terms of design, craftsmanship, and price. Shop now for classic dress and on-trend styles. Today, update your wardrobe with the best women's fashion brand!

02-14-24 05:30AM
chahyay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for chahyay Find more posts by chahyay Add chahyay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chahyay
Harvey Hacksmasher

Discover a wide range of the ordinary niacinamide, including The Ordinary Serum and The Ordinary Niacinamide serum, at Chahyay. Shop now for all your skincare needs.

02-14-24 06:54AM
servisshoes is offline Click Here to See the Profile for servisshoes Find more posts by servisshoes Add servisshoes to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
servisshoes
Harvey Hacksmasher

sports wear

Explore our online shop to get the best sports wear for your active lifestyle. We have everything you need, from stylish training clothing to cozy athletic wear. Shop our stylish and high quality sportswear collection now to boost your performance.

02-15-24 02:18AM
nayzaofficial is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nayzaofficial Find more posts by nayzaofficial Add nayzaofficial to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nayzaofficial
Harvey Hacksmasher

gym dress for ladies

Discover and shop the latest trends in gym dress for ladies at Nayza. Find stylish and comfortable gym dresses, fitness wear, and more to elevate your workout wardrobe.

02-15-24 02:44AM
Ammarakhan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ammarakhan Find more posts by Ammarakhan Add Ammarakhan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ammarakhan
Harvey Hacksmasher

velvet dresses

Discover Ammara Khan's exquisite collection of velvet dresses. From stunning designs to traditional Pakistani velvet dresses and luxurious velvet kaftans, find your perfect style.

02-15-24 03:50AM
herbeauty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for herbeauty1 Find more posts by herbeauty1 Add herbeauty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
herbeauty1
Harvey Hacksmasher

glass skin products

Transform your skin with our range of high-quality glass skin products. Discover the secret to achieving a flawless and radiant face with Her Beauty.

02-15-24 05:06AM
Nishat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nishat Find more posts by Nishat Add Nishat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nishat
Harvey Hacksmasher

Shop the latest trends and styles from Nishat Linen, one of the best clothing brands in pakistan. Discover a wide range of Pakistani clothing brands online and elevate your fashion game with our premium collection.