Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Changes - Early Discussion

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 9 of 35 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-17-21 12:04AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Not a team change but I've been enjoying watching Carter Rycroft play with Team Koe this evening on the ATB Banff Classic. JMo won't be playing many games in this event due to injuries, nice spare. Would be nice if he maybe alternates with Denni Neufeld as a spare. Howsabout a six person team?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-17-21 01:42AM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Swing Artist

Jannsen wasn't playing outside of mixed doubles and Bottcher had a team full of Albertans, so they can take their fifth from outside of Alberta.

I don't see 6 person teams being viable and the reason for that is you always need 3 of your 4 to play. I think it's fine for a bonspiel if you know at least 3 are commited, but your 4th can't and after it comes down to who you can call. Denni could spare at Trials but couldn't spare for Koe at the Brier because BJ's an import, but Rycroft could. I think fifths for Trials is something teams often use because they don't have a provincial restriction there.

12-20-21 12:49AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Team Bottcher posted about a sock giveaway, but nada about who's joining them.

12-20-21 10:09AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Kennedy is the Gushue fifth. An impeccable choice but one has to wonder where it leaves Jacobs. Kennedy can certainly still play the Brier (and he's Mixed Doubles eligible still) but will fatigue be an issue?

12-20-21 10:55AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Tanner Horgan was fifth for Jacobs in 2018. Maybe he can fill in for Kennedy? I don't know who else would fill that position otherwise.

I'm not sure what the Horgan/Beuk situation is like (I haven't followed this combo at all), but one would think that Horgan has better chance winning NO with Jacobs than winning ON with Beuk.

12-20-21 11:07AM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

But can Horgan, who is clearly declared for Ontario, now able to play in NO?

Jacobs can likely with NO with 3 players if we're being practical. But it's January 4-9 so Kennedy can easily pay in provincials. The bigger problem is the MD trials end just 2 days before.

12-20-21 11:20AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Gushue said Kennedy is still playing with Jacobs for provincials

12-20-21 11:23AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Team Jacobs: "We are excited for Marc & we wish him & @TeamGushue
all the best in Beijing. Also, Marc will still compete with us during all remaining competitions (Grand Slams, Provincials & Brier if we qualify)"

https://twitter.com/TeamBradJacobs/...959084940959753

Einarson gets Jacobs and Gushue gets Kennedy. Seems fair!

12-20-21 12:30PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Does anyone know if Gushue's team has made a decision yet about entering Newfoundland Brier playdowns??

12-20-21 02:58PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
Kennedy is the Gushue fifth. An impeccable choice but one has to wonder where it leaves Jacobs. Kennedy can certainly still play the Brier (and he's Mixed Doubles eligible still) but will fatigue be an issue?

I don't think so. He's the fifth so won't be playing "hopefully".

12-20-21 03:39PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by prairie guy
Does anyone know if Gushue's team has made a decision yet about entering Newfoundland Brier playdowns??

Since regisration is now closed, someone must know. The teams in the Scotties are listed but not yet for the Tankard.

12-20-21 04:09PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Gushue is registered for the tankard. Go to the team Facebook page and watch the update from today. Answered a bunch of questions. Very good update.

12-20-21 04:32PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
But can Horgan, who is clearly declared for Ontario, now able to play in NO?

Depending on timing, the answer is an easy yes. You can switch province from year to year. This is how Ryan Fry and Adam Casey has 4 provincial crests each. (Ryan Fry would like to point out that he also has Team Canada crest, so he "wins" that contest).

So the question is, did Horgan declare himself for Ontario this year?

I'm honestly not sure if he ever did. There hadn't been any Ontario playdown process due to COVID, I think. The trials/pre-trials have no residency requirements. He had never officially represented Ontario in any event.

Even if he did declare himself for Ontario, he may or may not be able to simultaneously declare himself for Northern Ontario as well (ala dual citizenships). From my reading of the rules (which I admit is very confusing), this is acceptable.

What is NOT acceptable is to participate in two playdown processes in the same season. As far as I can tell, Horgan hasn't yet participate in either.

If Horgan played with Team Beuk in ON playdown and lost, then he is definitely not eligible to be fifth man for Team Jacobs. But, as it stands now, since neither ON or NO playdowns have officially started yet, I think Horgan can still join Jacobs out of NO.

I could be wrong, though. Let me know if you have different reading of the rules.

https://www.curling.ca/team-canada/...esidency-rules/

12-20-21 04:37PM
DrB is offline Click Here to See the Profile for DrB Click here to Send DrB a Private Message Find more posts by DrB Add DrB to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrB
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Depending on timing, the answer is an easy yes. You can switch province from year to year. This is how Ryan Fry and Adam Casey has 4 provincial crests each. (Ryan Fry would like to point out that he also has Team Canada crest, so he "wins" that contest).

So the question is, did Horgan declare himself for Ontario this year?

I'm honestly not sure if he ever did. There hadn't been any Ontario playdown process due to COVID, I think. The trials/pre-trials have no residency requirements. He had never officially represented Ontario in any event.

Even if he did declare himself for Ontario, he may or may not be able to simultaneously declare himself for Northern Ontario as well (ala dual citizenships). From my reading of the rules (which I admit is very confusing), this is acceptable.

What is NOT acceptable is to participate in two playdown processes in the same season. As far as I can tell, Horgan hasn't yet participate in either.

If Horgan played with Team Beuk in ON playdown and lost, then he is definitely not eligible to be fifth man for Team Jacobs. But, as it stands now, since neither ON or NO playdowns have officially started yet, I think Horgan can still join Jacobs out of NO.

I could be wrong, though. Let me know if you have different reading of the rules.

https://www.curling.ca/team-canada/...esidency-rules/

Horgan is registered for Ontario playdowns and played a provincial entry cash spiel last weekend. Kennedy is still playing with Jacobs.

12-20-21 05:42PM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Will Rycroft (or someone else) be with Koe again for the Provincials? Just thought of the timing between that event and the MD Trials which starts on Dec 28th, which Morris will be participating in.

12-20-21 06:56PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by DrB
Horgan is registered for Ontario playdowns and played a provincial entry cash spiel last weekend.

That's new information for me. It does sound like Horgan has officially participated in a provincial playdown process and is locked in ON for this year's Brier, if I understand the rules correctly.

12-20-21 07:30PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:

[/url]

Casey has bragging rights for most provinces represented though.

12-20-21 08:24PM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

That's new information for me. It does sound like Horgan has officially participated in a provincial playdown process and is locked in ON for this year's Brier, if I understand the rules correctly.

Yes; Horgan lost the final of the CurlON Cash Spiel qualifier: https://www.curlingzone.com/game.ph...gameid=295688#1

12-20-21 08:32PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Yes; Horgan lost the final of the CurlON Cash Spiel qualifier: https://www.curlingzone.com/game.ph...gameid=295688#1

I concede that Horgan is probably locked for ON, but for the sake of arguing technicality, there may be some leeway depending on how Curling Canada define "participating in playdown process".

That game is 8-ends, for example. I realize it's a qualifier to get into CurlON provincial, but is that game itself sanctioned by CurlON? Does CurlON even sanction 8-end games at this level?

If this is an Ontario Curling Tour event, and not a CurlON Association event, does that count as participating in the playdown process?

At this point I'm just rambling. I honestly don't know how the residency rules work in Canada. I doubt many people actually do.

//edit: CurlON does have this event on their curling.io registration website, so I guess it probably was a CurlON-sanctioned event.

https://on.curling.io/en/events/916...-s-cash-spiel-1

Last edited by curlingclips on 12-20-21 at 08:52PM

12-20-21 08:51PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Of course Curl ON sanctioned these provincial qualifiers.

Last edited by decade on 12-20-21 at 08:54PM

12-20-21 08:53PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Gushue is registered for the tankard. Go to the team Facebook page and watch the update from today. Answered a bunch of questions. Very good update.

Thanks!

12-20-21 09:00PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Of course Curl ON sanctioned these provincial qualifiers.

I'm not sure if this is 100% true.

WCF does not sanction all the qualifier events to get to Worlds. For example, WCF does not sanction the Brier/Scotties.

Curling Canada does not sanction all the qualifier events to get to the Brier/Scotties. For example, Curling Canada does not sanction Ontario Scotties/Tankard.

Similarly, maybe CurlON does not sanction all the qualifier events to get to the Ontario Scotties/Tankard.

There's a curler, I forgot who (Warren Hansen? Russ Howard?) who exemplified these layers of sanctioning bodies. This curler won the provincial under one set of rules, won the Brier under another set of rules, and then played in World under yet another set of rules. This is still happening now at some nitpicky level, but this was a significant rule that was being discussed (hog line violations? FGZ? I forgot, sorry!), hence its notability for playing under 3 completely different sets of rules in one season.

Last edited by curlingclips on 12-20-21 at 09:17PM

12-20-21 09:17PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I'm not sure if this is 100% true.

WCF does not sanction all the qualifier events to get to Worlds. For example, WCF does not sanction the Brier/Scotties.

Curling Canada does not sanction all the qualifier events to get to the Brier/Scotties. For example, Curling Canada does not sanction Ontario Scotties/Tankard.

Similarly, maybe CurlON does not sanction all the qualifier events to get to the Ontario Scotties/Tankard.

There's a curler, I forgot who (Warren Hansen? Russ Howard?) who exemplified these layers of sanctioning bodies. This curler won the provincial under one set of rules, won the Brier under another set of rules, and then played in World under yet another set of rules.

Go to curling Canada site and read the rules. Rules state a player can only register and play for ON E member association. They must register for ONE only and can not play for another in the same season. I don’t get all the speculation with Horgan whilst Kennedy is PLAYING with Jacobs. Give it up.

12-20-21 09:20PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Give it up.

I did give it up. I conceded that Horgan is probably locked for ON. I'm just exploring technicalities of the rules, which is something that I enjoy doing probably more than most people.

quote:
Rules state a player can only register and play for ONE member association.

This is a mischaracterization of the rules. No where in the rules does it say anything about this one-registration principle.

The rule does say that you can only participate in one playdown process. I would argue that's different than saying that you can only register to play for one member association. Registering does not equal participating, at least based on my understanding of the how the words are defined.

https://www.curling.ca/team-canada/...gibility-rules/

Last edited by curlingclips on 12-20-21 at 09:40PM

12-20-21 11:17PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

This time I give up. Every time you post , you make a statement, people respond, and then you react with bs. Read the rules. They’re posted in English. You can’t represent more than one member association. Not only are you blind, but also argue with everyone until you’re blue in the face.
Babe the ox called. He says you’re chopping down the wrong tree, again.