Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Team Changes - Early Discussion

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 18 of 35 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-01-22 08:05PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

Wes Forget is now a free agent:

https://twitter.com/curlinggeek/sta...771097331937288

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-01-22 11:54PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Great guy. Got to meet him in Brandon. Love the big back swing. Hope you get on a great team for next year.

03-03-22 02:23PM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

Team Shuster + 1

Chris Plys from Team Shuster was just interviewed on KFAN radio in Minneapolis. While there he revealed that Team Shuster plans to stay together and compete for the next four years, but they're going to become a five-man team and add a fifth player to the mix, Colin Huffman.

03-03-22 06:46PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Re: Team Shuster + 1

quote:
Originally posted by Observer
Chris Plys from Team Shuster was just interviewed on KFAN radio in Minneapolis
Audio: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/139-...studio-93656542

//edit: I recommend against actually listening to this interview. The style is very grating, although I imagine this is probably the typical American sports radio talk style.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-03-22 at 07:24PM

03-03-22 07:14PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

True 5 person team or Jennifer Jones "We love our 5 person team...now sit on the bench for the entire Olympics please Lisa" style?

03-03-22 07:20PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by oliviertoisel
True 5 person team

Who are we to define what a true 5 person team mean? I say if a team declared themselves a 5 person team, then let them be, and let them run their team operation however they see fit.

03-03-22 09:00PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Who are we to define what a true 5 person team mean? I say if a team declared themselves a 5 person team, then let them be, and let them run their team operation however they see fit.

There is no such thing as a 5 person team. A 5 person RINK yes, 5 person tem, no.

03-03-22 10:24PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
There is no such thing as a 5 person team. A 5 person RINK yes, 5 person tem, no.

What's the difference between a 5 person team and a 5 person rink?

03-03-22 10:48PM
oliviertoisel is offline Click Here to See the Profile for oliviertoisel Find more posts by oliviertoisel Add oliviertoisel to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

quote:

Nothing. In modern parlance "team" has replaced "rink".

As for your earlier post: what the heck are you on about? Curling teams have used a 4 person plus one alternate model for decades. The alternate does not play unless required or a game is safe and the team brings them in for fun. This is not debatable. The concept of a "5 person team" is new, largely pushed by Jennifer Jones as a concept when she brought Weagle on board supported by multiple interviews about how she was not an alternate. Yet in Beijing she was an alternate and played less than 100% normal alternate Kennedy. So...what's the deal? Is Jones BSing about "5 person team" and, if so, does Shuster's use of the idea mean something different? Valid questions.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 03-03-22 at 10:55PM

03-03-22 11:38PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
The concept of a "5 person team" is new

It's relatively new, yes. I think you can argue that Tabitha Peterson's team was an earlier 5 person team with Nina Roth, Tara Peterson, Becca Hamilton, and Aileen Geving. Another example is probably Pat Janssen with Team Bottcher before Moulding's departure.

quote:
Is Jones BSing about "5 person team"

Weagle, McEwen, Peterman, Lawes and Jones made a long term commitment to each other to play as a team. That team declared themselves as a 5 person team.

Those two factors combined are good for me to accept them as a 5 person team.

If you refuse to acknowledge the designation that they have chosen for themselves, then that's on you. You obviously have a very different idea of what a 5 person team means, and you're entitled to run your own team that way.

03-03-22 11:58PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

Oh, I think Kim Eun-jung's team is also a 5 person team, going at least as far back as 2016. I can't think of an earlier precedent.

This team probably operates closer to what you expected, i.e. all 5 women played whole games at 2022 Olympics. Kim Yeong-mi legally played entire games with a black tape broom.

By contrast, Marc Kennedy played with a yellow tape broom (Brett Gallant's). Colin Hufman played with a red tape broom (John Landsteiner's).

Jiang Xindi (CHN) also played with a black tape broom. I haven't confirmed if there are others.

03-04-22 12:13AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

In Korea, Kim Min-ji has joined Gim Un-chi (which is basically Kim Eun-ji, but romanized differently).

Proof: @minji__816 is listed as member of https://www.instagram.com/curling_team_gim/

Kim Min-ji is the prodigy skip who came out of the Tier 2 grand slam and reached the final of 2020 Canadian Open against Anna Hasselborg.

Gim Un-chi represented Korea at 2014 Olympics.

They're on a mission to yoink the Korean national team designation from Kim Eun-jung.

I'm honestly not sure how I feel about this. I wish the Korean system could support two national teams instead of putting everything into one basket for an entire year.

03-04-22 12:14AM
FleuryFan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FleuryFan Find more posts by FleuryFan Add FleuryFan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FleuryFan
Harvey Hacksmasher

[QUOTE]Originally posted by curlingclips
[B]
It's relatively new, yes.

The original Team Fleury was a five player team up until they broke up in 2018. Tracy would always play, with Crystal Webster, Jenn Wylie, Jenna Enge and Amanda Gates swapping around at front end from event to event.

03-04-22 12:21AM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by FleuryFan
The original Team Fleury was a five player team

Ah, yes! I forgot about them!

GSOC feature "Five"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu6XxIN7Vvo
"Typically we only bring four players to each event"

Yep, that still counts as a 5 person team in my book.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-04-22 at 12:29AM

03-04-22 07:49AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

None of this answers what approach Shuster is taking but I guess no one knows.

Also Team Bottcher was not a 5 person team. Wtf?

In bigger news: Gushue says he's not retiring. https://twitter.com/CurlingInside/s...602583454982146

Assuming Gallant moves it would be great to see Gushue and Nichols with two NL post-junior players. There's finally a real prospect of a post-Gushue team there and Brier experience/mentorship would help a lot. Jeff Thomas coaches the current junior team NL that is at the Brier, real potential there.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 03-04-22 at 08:13AM

03-04-22 10:00AM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

John Cullen's blog about his guesses on who'll be going with, fun read, and I could see many of them happening:

https://cullenoncurling.substack.co...-best-guess?s=r

03-04-22 10:27AM
oliviertoisel
Drawmaster

Good discussion between Gushue and Bob Weeks about residency and team changes: https://www.tsn.ca/video/~2393593 (latter half of the video)

Good points made by both about how unfair residency is to smaller provinces. Sounds like Gushue is arguing against residency and in talks with Curling Canada. But sounds pessimistic. Also sounds like sticking together would be an option for them if not for residency.

I'm sticking by my earlier position that they should change residency to skip's province of residence and no other requirements. I it could allow a more realistic chance for every province to put together a competitive team. And what better time to make the change than when your dumb rules force your Olympic medalist team to split up because one member wants to live in the same province as his wife. Imagine Scotland splitting Mouat up because Bobby Lammie wants to move from Stirling to Aberdeen or something.

Last edited by oliviertoisel on 03-04-22 at 10:31AM

03-04-22 11:21AM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:

I'm a geezer and still refer to the people I curl with as a rink. At some point they started using the term team instead of rink. What's next, calling sheets lanes?? Slippery slope to absolute chaos......

03-04-22 11:32AM
hogged again
Drawmaster

If you are a Curlzone super VIP member you get access to the special page where teams post openings. The following changes have been made but not announced.
BJ is joining Jacobs. Gallant is skipping Kennedy, Fry and Walker. Howard and March are joining Epping. Tardi joining Gushue. Koe and Hebert getting the Lott brothers.
Lawes, Peterman, Mcewen gettiing Njegovan. Fleury, Cameron and Weagle teaming up in NOnt. Entire Homan team taking year off. JJones moving east to skip StGeorges. Roque to play 3rd for Scheidegger.

03-04-22 11:35AM
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
If you are a Curlzone super VIP member you get access to the special page where teams post openings. The following changes have been made but not announced.
BJ is joining Jacobs. Gallant is skipping Kennedy, Fry and Walker. Howard and March are joining Epping. Tardi joining Gushue. Koe and Hebert getting the Lott brothers.
Lawes, Peterman, Mcewen gettiing Njegovan. Fleury, Cameron and Weagle teaming up in NOnt. Entire Homan team taking year off. JJones moving east to skip StGeorges. Roque to play 3rd for Scheidegger.

I hear de Cruz will be skipping Edin's rink, too.

03-04-22 11:45AM
hoggedrock is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hoggedrock Find more posts by hoggedrock Add hoggedrock to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hoggedrock
Harvey Hacksmasher

… seriously? It seems no way those are the changes, and that they are accessible to be seen as a “VIP”.
Fleury, Cameron and Weagle is the most random pairing, which convinces me this has to be satirical.

03-04-22 01:46PM
Dangermouse is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Dangermouse Click here to Send Dangermouse a Private Message Find more posts by Dangermouse Add Dangermouse to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dangermouse
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards

I hear de Cruz will be skipping Edin's rink, too.

A Swiss player skipping a Swedish team?

03-04-22 01:51PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:

I'm a geezer and still refer to the people I curl with as a rink. At some point they started using the term team instead of rink. What's next, calling sheets lanes?? Slippery slope to absolute chaos......

We are well on the way.

03-04-22 02:21PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Jill Brothers from NS to join team Crawford in NB.

03-04-22 02:46PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
What's next, calling sheets lanes??

WCF is making a conscious effort to disambiguate terms. A rink can also refer to the building, hence now we have teams. Draws can also refer to a type of shot, hence we now sessions.

They're not doing this just to piss you off. If you're upset because there are new terms that are less ambiguous and are better understood going forward for eternity at the cost of raising the eyebrows of old school traditionalists who are dying down year after year, then that's on you.