Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2 Pools in 2018 Brier and Scotties

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-30-16 02:32AM
Marco2010 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marco2010 Click here to Send Marco2010 a Private Message Find more posts by Marco2010 Add Marco2010 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

2 Pools in 2018 Brier and Scotties

There won't be relegation in 2018. All 14 member associations will have direct entry. Add Team Canada with most probably a Team Tour and we'll have 16 teams at the Brier and the Scotties. Team Tour being the best team on Tour that didn't qualify via the provincials.
Do you split the teams in 2 equal pools of 8? As a fan I hope not.
I enjoyed seeing all the top teams playing each other at tbe Ottawa Brier. If you split the top teams in 2 pools chances are that some great games just won't happen and a lot of blowouts may occur.
What about having an A pool made up of the stronger teams and the B pool made up of the weaker teams. Let's say 10 teams in pool A and 6 teams in pool B. Pool A plays a 9 game round robin and pool B a double round robin of 10 games (2×5).
Pool A guarantees great games every draw for fans and TV. Teams in pool A have tough competition to prepare them for the playoffs. Pool B teams have 10 games that they can be competitive in.
4 teams qualify out of the A pool and 1 team qualifies out of the B pool. A1 plays A2 with the winner going to the final. B1 plays A4. The winner then plays A3. The winner of that game plays the loser of A1 vs A2 to determine the other finalist.
So top teams still qualify 4 for the playoffs like we had in Ottawa. Weaker teams also have a shot BUT they have to beat A4, A3, A2 and A1 in a row to win the Brier.
What do you think?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-30-16 05:44AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

I think you make great hacks. Stick with that.

But I think we'd all like to know why you have suddenly come out of the woodwork, decades later, with a whole bunch of never before expressed opinions about the game. Which seem to jibe with the latest WCT press releases.

Seems more than a little contrived. I mean,seriously, I've been on here since 2002 with almost 2000 posts. Your hacks have been in place since what? 1992 or earlier? And only now you discover social media?

It's tough enough trying to decipher who is real here and who is faking to push their agenda. Hopefully you aren't another fake one.

Last edited by jamcan on 03-30-16 at 05:59AM

03-30-16 08:27AM
Marco2010 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Marco2010 Click here to Send Marco2010 a Private Message Find more posts by Marco2010 Add Marco2010 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

But I think we'd all like to know why you have suddenly come out of the woodwork, decades later, with a whole bunch of never before expressed opinions about the game. Which seem to jibe with the latest WCT press releases.

Seems more than a little contrived. I mean,seriously, I've been on here since 2002 with almost 2000 posts. Your hacks have been in place since what? 1992 or earlier? And only now you discover social media?

It's tough enough trying to decipher who is real here and who is faking to push their agenda. Hopefully you aren't another fake one.

What agenda ? Contrived ? How could I benefit in any way by expressing opinions and sharing ideas? Humm. Fake what? My name is Marco Ferraro so Marco Hack & Marco 2010. I guess attending the Brier in Ottawa got me going. You would think that different points of view would be encouraged and generate debate. In a nutshell: 1 hack in the middle, no blank ends, A & B pools, last rock to the team behind in the score, 2 guard rule.

03-30-16 09:26AM
ott-am is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ott-am Click here to Send ott-am a Private Message Find more posts by ott-am Add ott-am to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ott-am
Swing Artist

Hey Marco. I thought I saw you from a distance at the Brier, but sorry we did not have a chance to chat.

I am not sure why jamcan does not think you can express your opinion because you have not had 2000 posts in the last 15 years?

03-30-16 11:47AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

Hey Marco, glad you are posting ideas. I think pool play for Brier or Scotties is dumb. You can see my rant in this older thread...where some ideas are kicked around.

http://www.curlingzone.com/showthre...25&pagenumber=1

I think 10 Provs, Northern Ont, Team Canada, + One Territory is the way to go. Yes it adds another game to the round robin, so you have to find room for 12 more games. There is room on the first Saturday for 6 of those games (add third draw). 4 more games come in the first Monday which only has two draws. Leave room for up to three tie-breakers by squeezing in a fourth draw one day to make up the remaining 2 games. Not great, but way better than two pools.

Or get rid of Northern Ont and go with current schedule, the Ontario women ran like this for decades until recently.

03-30-16 12:21PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

Or get rid of Team Canada and run it the way it ran before this fiasco.

03-30-16 12:23PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

I want to post on this thread but need to check with JAMCAN to make sure 7 years and 356 posts qualify to have an opinion.

03-30-16 01:14PM
gameon is offline Click Here to See the Profile for gameon Click here to Send gameon a Private Message Find more posts by gameon Add gameon to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gameon
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Three
Hey Marco, glad you are posting ideas. I think pool play for Brier or Scotties is dumb. You can see my rant in this older thread...where some ideas are kicked around.

I think 10 Provs, Northern Ont, Team Canada, + One Territory is the way to go. Yes it adds another game to the round robin, so you have to find room for 12 more games. There is room on the first Saturday for 6 of those games (add third draw). 4 more games come in the first Monday which only has two draws. Leave room for up to three tie-breakers by squeezing in a fourth draw one day to make up the remaining 2 games. Not great, but way better than two pools.

Or get rid of Northern Ont and go with current schedule, the Ontario women ran like this for decades until recently.

I’ve been in the curling game for what seems like a century and seen a lot of changes over the years. When they changed the brier format and implemented the relegation round, I was totally upset and didn’t like the change at all. That being said, luckily they have decided to get rid of this one and move on.

Well fortunately my team actually played in a Nat for the Masters under the new format of having two pools… again I was totally peeved because it wasn’t a full roundrobin, but I have to admit after playing in the championship and actually experiencing what it is like with two pools… (hey, I don’t admit being wrong easily so I choose my words carefully) well I have to admit the system is good… K, it is maybe better than the old roundrobin, so hope that makes some happy.

This is what happened… we played a full roundrobin in our pool and let’s say it was the new format with either 6 or 7 teams per pool ( as either works great)… the top four teams then move into the championship round consisting of 8 teams no matter how many start the championships, and the bottom two or three depending on the number of teams, then move into an also-ran pool, as I would call it. So the only two or three teams we didn’t play were the bottom teams from the other pool. Then we played the top four teams from the other pool to end the roundrobin portion of the championships, but not the other 3 teams from our original pool because we had already played them.

After the last four games, the highest ranked teams… 3 or 4 depending on the actual playoff to decide the winner, then play for the trophy. If you look at it as the brier, the top teams play every team except the lowest teams from the other pool, which is great because those games are likely not worth watching anyway.

In the end, all of the good teams will play all teams except the lowest 2 or 3 from the other pool. You can think of this as the relegation section of the championships, but also consider you’re now enabling the lower teams to play at least 4 good teams from across Canada in the first roundrobin portion… so they gain a lot more experience than in the present relegation round.

Hope this makes sense, as it didn’t before I attended the Nats with the newer format, but after the fact, I now think this new championship with pools is even better than the older, full roundrobin. Hey, this one allows you to include more teams without adding to the length of the championship, which is also great.

Last edited by gameon on 03-30-16 at 01:19PM

03-30-16 01:19PM
Marco2010
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Hi Three. I'm not a fan of pools either and I'm also uncomfortable with new regional associations getting direct entry to the Brier/Scotties. Since there will be a minimum of 14 teams and probably 16 teams in 2018 my suggestion of A & B pools is just an attempt to maximise interest for the fans and offer a challenge during the week for all teams.

03-30-16 01:40PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by biterbar
I want to post on this thread but need to check with JAMCAN to make sure 7 years and 356 posts qualify to have an opinion.

lol for real !

03-30-16 01:48PM
Sasquatch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sasquatch Click here to Send Sasquatch a Private Message Find more posts by Sasquatch Add Sasquatch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sasquatch
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13

I'd rather see them get rid of Northern Ontario and only allow one entry for the province. No reason it should get two.

03-30-16 02:59PM
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by gameon

I’ve been in the curling game for what seems like a century and seen a lot of changes over the years. When they changed the brier format and implemented the relegation round, I was totally upset and didn’t like the change at all. That being said, luckily they have decided to get rid of this one and move on.

Well fortunately my team actually played in a Nat for the Masters under the new format of having two pools… again I was totally peeved because it wasn’t a full roundrobin, but I have to admit after playing in the championship and actually experiencing what it is like with two pools… (hey, I don’t admit being wrong easily so I choose my words carefully) well I have to admit the system is good… K, it is maybe better than the old roundrobin, so hope that makes some happy.

This is what happened… we played a full roundrobin in our pool and let’s say it was the new format with either 6 or 7 teams per pool ( as either works great)… the top four teams then move into the championship round consisting of 8 teams no matter how many start the championships, and the bottom two or three depending on the number of teams, then move into an also-ran pool, as I would call it. So the only two or three teams we didn’t play were the bottom teams from the other pool. Then we played the top four teams from the other pool to end the roundrobin portion of the championships, but not the other 3 teams from our original pool because we had already played them.

After the last four games, the highest ranked teams… 3 or 4 depending on the actual playoff to decide the winner, then play for the trophy. If you look at it as the brier, the top teams play every team except the lowest teams from the other pool, which is great because those games are likely not worth watching anyway.

In the end, all of the good teams will play all teams except the lowest 2 or 3 from the other pool. You can think of this as the relegation section of the championships, but also consider you’re now enabling the lower teams to play at least 4 good teams from across Canada in the first roundrobin portion… so they gain a lot more experience than in the present relegation round.

Hope this makes sense, as it didn’t before I attended the Nats with the newer format, but after the fact, I now think this new championship with pools is even better than the older, full roundrobin. Hey, this one allows you to include more teams without adding to the length of the championship, which is also great.

Great to hear the perspective from somebody who has gone through it. My biggest beef with two pools is the teams that go to the "Seeding Pool" are sort of playing meaningless games. To me its interesting when a team with a not so good record plays well on a Wed or Thursday and plays spoiler.

Also, and much more importantly I really don't think seeding pools work as advertised. Take this year for instance, if the Ontario Women's team is Homan next year it is dumb to give them the seeding earned by Jenn Hanna's team. Really shortsighted. Seeding should be determined by the teams themselves before the tournament begins. All teams seed all other teams in the tournament and then those "votes" deterine the final seeding. (This is done in some provincials I think.) Either this or use YTD OOM points. If the seeding is done using the previous year's representative one could easily put the best four or five teams in one pool which defeats the point of pool based seeding. If Curling Canada is going to two pools the seeding can't be like it is done for Juniors and Seniors. My two cents.

Doing this of course makes the "Seeding Pool" truly meaningless so I can't see Curling Canada doing it the way I suggested as what would be the point in playing those games then ?

Last edited by Three on 03-30-16 at 03:13PM

03-30-16 04:27PM
Guest is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Guest Click here to Send Guest a Private Message Visit Guest's homepage! Find more posts by Guest Add Guest to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

You make great toasters ...

03-30-16 06:55PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13

Likely wishful thinking but getting rid of Northern Ontario and combine the Territories as one would be a better option.

03-30-16 10:07PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Last year my wife and I drove from Toronto to the west coast-believe me, Northern Ontario is a separate district.

First of all, a couple of questions for the group:

1. Do we really need Team Canada? Remember it was originally established because WOMEN weren’t getting enough promotion. I would suggest that, with the advent of the pro tour more and more female curlers are becoming familiar with curling fans (that doesn’t sound quite right...)
2. What about those darned territories? Well Mr. Koe (of the North) has bought time for NWT. I’ll discuss Nunavut at the end.

Now let’s run some numbers-if we were to drop Team Canada while including all 10 provinces, Northern Ontario and 3 territories, we have 14 teams; a round-robin schedule would entail 91 games (unlike the other national competitions who use pools-only 42 games total). How can we do this, you ask?

1. If we were to maintain the current draw format, the round-robin would take 7 ½ days...unless the local hockey/basketball/lacrosse/pro wrestling franchise might take issue-not to mention fans who would have to book extra vacation time.
2. Can the draw be expanded to 4 a day? Consider 9:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 5:00 PM and 9:00 PM. The icemakers wouldn’t be happy, and the TSN crew would have to add a couple of faces (they appear to be working new faces in already), but the entire draw could be handled in just over 5 days, leaving Monday morning open for the ice to “breathe” and “tiebreak” time on Friday afternoon. The number of ends could be reduced to 8, like the pros. Remember, curling used to be 18 ends.
3. Finally (and the icemakers will be getting in line) what if we returned to 5 sheets of ice? You still wouldn’t have enough time to complete the schedule with 3 draws a day, but with 4 draws and 5 sheets, you would have enough available sheets to play a full round-robin without dropping Team Canada.

Now, what about Nunavut (and to a lesser extent Yukon) you ask? I’ve seen the scores from the Seniors & more importantly the Juniors. How can rinks from Nunavut improve when the nearest “Rival Club” can only be accessed by plane? The odds of staging a meaningful bonspiel are greater in a place like Phoenix, Arizona than Iqaluit...what’s that you say? Oh... 
Anyway I would contend that they’re no less entitled to a spot than any other association-as long as they pay their dues. TSN could show their game against Yukon on Sunday morning (up in the high number channels, while they show soccer or F1 on the main station).

As I’m prone to say-fire away!

03-31-16 01:12AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by ott-am

I am not sure why jamcan does not think you can express your opinion because you have not had 2000 posts in the last 15 years?

^ The most plausible reason that I can see for Jamcan's persistently disrespectful behaviour is that he/she desperately requires attention, and he/she has not yet attained the level of maturity which permits him/her to gain positive attention (as with intelligent, well thought out posts which demonstrate at least a basic respect for others). And so he/she is taking the path of expedience and attracting attention in the easiest manner possible - by being arrogant, belligerent, and disrespectful. To those who realize themselves incapable of attracting positive attention, negative attention suffices.
I suppose it's possible that Jamcan sees this method working for Donald Trump, and so...

Or, possibly, he/she is simply mimicking his/her apparent hero Hunter Thompson, who relished negative attention as a means of feeling 'superior' to the masses.

Either way, as can be seen by the previous comments here, his/her act is getting old very quickly.

Keep posting, Marco. Your thoughts and ideas are welcome by those of us who are beyond the age of adolescence.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-31-16 at 01:41AM

04-20-23 10:07PM
otis is offline Click Here to See the Profile for otis Find more posts by otis Add otis to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
otis
Knee-Slider

Having two pools in a tournament can allow for more teams to participate and can provide a more diverse range of opponents for each team to play against. However, retro bowl as you mentioned, it can also lead to some teams not playing against certain top teams and potentially more blowout games.

04-25-23 03:40AM
zeldatri is offline Click Here to See the Profile for zeldatri Find more posts by zeldatri Add zeldatri to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zeldatri
Knee-Slider

This article has inspired me to learn more about 2048 cupcakes the subject matter. The author's passion is contagious and has sparked a newfound curiosity in me.

04-27-23 03:09AM
cilinon799 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cilinon799 Find more posts by cilinon799 Add cilinon799 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cilinon799
Knee-Slider

Overall, wordle today is a fun and addictive online word game that provides hours of entertainment and challenging gameplay.

05-23-23 10:38PM
spinabove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for spinabove Find more posts by spinabove Add spinabove to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spinabove
Knee-Slider

It is imperative that we read blog post very carefully. I am already done it and find that this post is really amazing. x trench run

06-03-23 05:09AM
andree23 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for andree23 Find more posts by andree23 Add andree23 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
andree23
Harvey Hacksmasher

I appreciate how this article tackles a contentious shell shockers issue with sensitivity and respect for differing opinions.

07-02-23 11:00PM
lorde is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lorde Find more posts by lorde Add lorde to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lorde
Knee-Slider

quote:

http://www.curlingzone.com/showthre...25&pagenumber=1 melon playground

Your suggestion of having 10 provinces, Northern Ontario, Team Canada, and one territory sounds like a viable option. It would require adding more games to the round robin, but you've outlined a potential schedule to accommodate them. Another alternative you mentioned is following the current schedule and removing Northern Ontario, similar to how the Ontario women's event used to run.

07-13-23 03:10AM
ifeeney is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ifeeney Find more posts by ifeeney Add ifeeney to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ifeeney
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by Marco2010

Hi Three. I'm not a fan of pools either and I'm also uncomfortable with new regional associations getting direct entry to the Brier/Scotties. Since there will be a minimum of 14 teams and probably 16 teams in 2018 my suggestion of A & B pools is just an attempt to maximise interest for the fans and offer a challenge during the week for all teams.

Soon, the two terrible gods of the pool will be known by the names Eklent Kaci and Fedor Gorst. After allowing the geometry dash error of touching his hand, he had the impression that he didn't want to battle anymore.

08-16-23 12:51AM
lilycollins is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lilycollins Find more posts by lilycollins Add lilycollins to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lilycollins
Harvey Hacksmasher

great

I have found a lot of useful and fascinating slope information from your article, especially the practical examples and illustrations.