Spain Final
Italy (7)
Turkiye Final
Estonia (7)
Switzerland Final
France (7)
Norway Final
Japan (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 5 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-02-23 12:10PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

Brier 2023

Interesting article:
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...brier-1.6765288

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-02-23 01:38PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Curl Canada is so focused on the elite few and the qualifying process and gold medals they have lost sight of why they really exist.
And I don't blame them, they want to be judged on medals because they have absolutely failed at achiving their core mandate which is to grow the game in Canada.
Thay have been around forever. In that time the number of people who curl has gone steadily down. The demographics of the ones who still culr get older and older. Curling clubs are closing. They have utterly failed to attract young people to the game and they are even worse at attracting newcomers and ethnic groups which is the key to growing the game. Outside of a lame ad they have been running for about 3 years now I don't see any initiatives that are going to change this death spiral.
So if I was inept like they are I would want to shift the focus away from my incompetence and make it all about a medal so if/when that happens I can say I'm a success even though the game is actually worse off.
They will change the residency rules, announce the new qualifying process, pat themselves on the back for a job well done while another club closes and less players play.

03-04-23 07:24PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Why would TSN not bring Joanne back to do commentary? Gauthier and Russ need to go!

03-04-23 07:52PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Why would TSN not bring Joanne back to do commentary? Gauthier and Russ need to go!

She is a nurse and has to work.

03-05-23 02:26PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Hitting Paint

Im curious about some of the caps that some of the players are wearing. Does anyone know if they are standard issue with their uniforms ?

With the exception of the Wild Card teams those wearing caps all have their provincial/territorial emblems on them. Is this new this year?

03-05-23 04:21PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

Today's curling tip of the day: know your role.
McEwen, Fry and Laing have been to a miilion Briers between them but here's the lead who has been on the team for 2 months in his first Brier dominating the strategy conversation.
I'm guessing pops has a talk and we don't see that again for the rest of the week.

03-05-23 05:27PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1
Gushue's finished. He's telling everyone who brings a mike near him that he's chronically injured.

Probably sees the writing on the wall with Dunstone, guy from italy, Bottcher etc.

Too much competition and Harndon isn't the answer.

He got a MBA for a reason. He wants an admin job n curling. So he's throwing this team under the bus. Retired by end of year.

If Gushue is done so is curling zone. After 5 draws there are 8 posts. A few years back the Brier had over 20 pages of comments .

03-05-23 07:02PM
CURLER1
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Today's curling tip of the day: know your role.
McEwen, Fry and Laing have been to a miilion Briers between them but here's the lead who has been on the team for 2 months in his first Brier dominating the strategy conversation.
I'm guessing pops has a talk and we don't see that again for the rest of the week.

I agree, the lead was very annoying.

03-06-23 08:18AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

I gotta say I've been really impressed with Nova Scotia these first 2 draws. They keep up this level and they could very well stun and get out of the group

On the other end someone is gonna have to have a talk with BC .how you lose 10-8 after being up 6-1 is just...wow

I'd like to talk to whoever was dong stats for because somehow Jacques Gauthier was still graded at 86% after 9 ends and I can't see how

I agree Joey Hart talk to much but that's up to Mike and Ryan to silence him

Last edited by misty1 on 03-06-23 at 08:22AM

03-06-23 08:53AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jabba the hut
i beleive gushue is injured, watch how he throws, now that the gambling is involved who knows wats goin on!lol lets face it curlers arn't rich, now a days they are all good friends and splitting has been an ongoing thing for as long as i can remember. its like horse racing, not hugely popular but we can take care of our own.....who knows just a thought?

You might be right, but Gushue is missing that fire he used to have. I mean NB took them to 10 ends! I think he’s burnt out.

03-06-23 09:00AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

She is a nurse and has to work.

That's absolute nonsense. She is married to a Nephrologist who's annual salary is probably somewhere in the $400K - $425K range.

03-06-23 09:45AM
lixit74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lixit74 Click here to Send lixit74 a Private Message Find more posts by lixit74 Add lixit74 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lixit74
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'm not sure what to say this year.

I'm cheering for teams like Knapp, Gauthier and Sturmay, but I'm not sure if any of these teams will be able to get into the playoffs... Time will tell I guess. Looking @ the pools, you can probably guess 5 of the 6 teams that will make the playoffs already. The only unknown to me is Horgan or Caruthers. I'm from Nont myself, so I'm rooting for the Moose!

I really hope there are some major changes to the team selection process going forward in the national championships... I think the first step is giving the wild card teams the first 3 spots, not the last 3. Then give the remaining spots to each province? I know the argument is that if the top teams aren't at the provincial, then ratings will be down for that event. The issue is that if there's only 1 teams at the province people want to watch, why go thru the whole ordeal of having a provincial championship in the first place. If we're trying to grow the sport, like in other countries, more teams will show up if teams like Koe or Bottcher aren't playing... Just look at what happens in NFLD when Gushue is team Canada. The entries quadruple. Also, if the juniors can have multiple teams from the same province, why can't the adults? Get rid of "wildcard" and call them Manitoba 1, 2, etc...

I also read something recently on changing the entry format back to an area vs. province format. Maybe its time we do so & give provinces entry by population. The 1927 Brier had teams from both Toronto and Montreal... Maybe go to something like 3 Team Canadas (was created for the Scotties for Marketing purposes originally), 1 North (Yukon, NWT and NU), 2 East (Quebec to PEI), 3 Central (Ont, Man), 3 West (Sask to BC)... 12 teams, full Round Robin, 8 end games. 70 games total (assuming there's a page playoff) vs the 80 we have today... You could also start at least 1 day, if not 2 later... Also, eliminate the residency rules all together but allow teams to only register for 1 province OR just have the 4x competitions (North, East, Central & West) on the same weekend... They do this now in Ontario playdowns. 4x provincial qualifiers. Doesn't matter which one you go to, but you can only pick one...

The more I see the 18 team format, the more I dislike it. It made sense, I guess?, during COVID? There are sooo many teams that really have no chance of winning. At least with the 14 teams format, there was the crossover event. This way, the top teams all played each other, which eliminated lopsided pools and there was a true top 4 at the end of the round robin. It also made sure that the games at the end of the week all meant something. I know people had a hard time understanding the crossover, but it's not as confusing as the seeding game we have now (which is silly) as well as the tiebreaker rules from the Scotties...

03-06-23 11:39AM
bpm is offline Click Here to See the Profile for bpm Click here to Send bpm a Private Message Find more posts by bpm Add bpm to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bpm
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think you're going to see another step happen next year - not requiring Wildcard teams to abide by provincial residency restrictions. At all.

So top teams who don't meet residency requirements won't play in provincial playdowns - and they won't need to - because they'll just get in based on CTRS rankings.

That's what the language in the CBC article seems to be hinting at, in my opinion, anyway. They're very careful in how they talk about what type of eligibility will be impacted.

It's probably a good thing in the short term, to accommodate one or two Gushues of the world, at the top of the sport but not aligned with residency rules. Three wildcards is probably enough (although those who believe in "you should have to earn your way in" might disagree with just how that should be earned, but I digress).

But the athletes will evolve further in their non-provincial alignment, and by the next Olympic cycle those non-aligned top teams will probably outpace the number of wildcard entries available. And then how big does the competition need to grow to get them all in? 20 teams? 22? 24?

More importantly, how long can Curling Canada hold on to the increasingly incongruous objectives of retaining grassroots history and accommodating elite evolution at it's biggest event?

And in the mean time, are they even succeeding in meeting their purpose? curling.ca/about-curling-canada/what-we-do/our-mandate-and-mission/

Playdown numbers are dwindling and Canada are becoming less likely to earn medals at international competitions than ever before.
Not to mention shuttering clubs and decreased participation at the grassroots level in general. (And I won't get into viewership/broadcasts keeping up with the shift to online consumption/availability and their "more curling fans" goal).

I'm not sure how long they can keep chopping and changing this thing before it's indisputable that they've lost sight of their purpose and just want to squeeze every last drop from their golden goose at all costs.

I've always been of the opinion that they need to acknowledge the sport's new reality and separate professional from amateur.
Make the national championship professional, and keep the Brier/Scotties amateur but allow the winner/runner-up/third place teams a place at the national championship (and hey, the Bronze Medal match might mean something again).

Canada Cup becomes the national championship, and any financial windfall lost from the Brier/Scotties can be regained at that event. If they manage it right, they might even grow the pot.

In retrospect, I think the early 2000s WCT was on the right path towards this, and while I can understand why they got back together with the CCA, I think the sport would benefit from everyone taking another look at whether that might have been the right start for the roadmap of the future in Canada.

I certainly don't think they can hold on to tradition forever.

Last edited by bpm on 03-06-23 at 12:06PM

03-06-23 12:32PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Maybe it's because I'm used to Kevin talking a lot more during games. Discussing options but the chemistry on this Alberta team seems off. They dont seem to blend very well

03-06-23 03:08PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
Maybe it's because I'm used to Kevin talking a lot more during games. Discussing options but the chemistry on this Alberta team seems off. They dont seem to blend very well

And Tardi can't shoot like BJ. Maybe someday he will but you can hear the frustration in Koe's voice, as soon as Tardi releases the rock it's an exasperated "nooooo" from KK. Most of the strategy input comes from Karrick who knows his stuff but the other 2 don't say a lot which is opposite the recent Koe teams where everyone had 2 cents.

Last edited by hogged again on 03-06-23 at 03:10PM

03-06-23 03:59PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by lixit74
At least with the 14 teams format, there was the crossover event.

That was 16 teams, not 14. 8 teams per pool, then top 4 of each pool merge into 8 team crossover championship pool.

14 provincial/territory teams + Team Canada + 1 wildcard team = 16.

03-06-23 04:05PM
Love2Curl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Love2Curl Click here to Send Love2Curl a Private Message Find more posts by Love2Curl Add Love2Curl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Love2Curl
Hitting Paint

quote:
Curl Canada is so focused on the elite few and the qualifying process and gold medals they have lost sight of why they really exist.
And I don't blame them, they want to be judged on medals because they have absolutely failed at achiving their core mandate which is to grow the game in Canada.
Thay have been around forever. In that time the number of people who curl has gone steadily down. The demographics of the ones who still culr get older and older. Curling clubs are closing. They have utterly failed to attract young people to the game and they are even worse at attracting newcomers and ethnic groups which is the key to growing the game. Outside of a lame ad they have been running for about 3 years now I don't see any initiatives that are going to change this death spiral.
So if I was inept like they are I would want to shift the focus away from my incompetence and make it all about a medal so if/when that happens I can say I'm a success even though the game is actually worse off.
They will change the residency rules, announce the new qualifying process, pat themselves on the back for a job well done while another club closes and less players play.

This is bang on. Curl Canada and most of the provincial bodies have lost focus. Our city lost a club this year and chances are, will lose another in a few years.

Curl Canada is not growing the sport but promoting the elite curler. Last time I checked the elite curler does not pay the bills at the club level.

The Brier was a national event with provinces and territory's battling it out. Slams are for elite teams. Now if you want Slam teams to represent Canada at World's, that is fine.

03-06-23 06:43PM
Prawnpuller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Prawnpuller Click here to Send Prawnpuller a Private Message Find more posts by Prawnpuller Add Prawnpuller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Prawnpuller
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

And Tardi can't shoot like BJ. Maybe someday he will but you can hear the frustration in Koe's voice, as soon as Tardi releases the rock it's an exasperated "nooooo" from KK. Most of the strategy input comes from Karrick who knows his stuff but the other 2 don't say a lot which is opposite the recent Koe teams where everyone had 2 cents.

You are prolly right in your assessment of this team,however, they are a first year together team and I will give them the benefit of doubt and wait and see.They do seem to be jelling better as time goes on. The other 3 yappers he used to have on his team were hard to take..often confusing Koe so he had to decide from 3 different opinions against his own.I welcome the new “silence” on the team allowing for Koe to better call the game on his own without all the excessive input…Gushue fading..Dunstone to win..with Botcher, Koe and Horgan close.

Two things can happen..one is bad

Last edited by Prawnpuller on 03-06-23 at 06:54PM

03-06-23 07:24PM
pdwar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for pdwar Find more posts by pdwar Add pdwar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pdwar
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer

That's absolute nonsense. She is married to a Nephrologist who's annual salary is probably somewhere in the $400K - $425K range.

so she can’t have her own career? Your response is absolute nonsense.

03-07-23 09:11AM
lixit74 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lixit74 Click here to Send lixit74 a Private Message Find more posts by lixit74 Add lixit74 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lixit74
Harvey Hacksmasher

Agreed. Not sure what a spouse's job has to do with allowable vacation time of one's own career...

I think Joanne did a great job & should potentially consider a career change. It was also nice hearing things from a recent curler's perspective. I also finds she isn't biased at all towards any particular team. I do find Russ and Cathy do have their favorites they like to talk about (unconscious bias perhaps)...

Not sure what a part time broadcaster would make compared to a full time nurse though...

Not that it's any of my business...

03-07-23 09:24AM
The Waco Kid is offline Click Here to See the Profile for The Waco Kid Find more posts by The Waco Kid Add The Waco Kid to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
The Waco Kid
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by bpm
I think you're going to see another step happen next year - not requiring Wildcard teams to abide by provincial residency restrictions. At all.

So top teams who don't meet residency requirements won't play in provincial playdowns - and they won't need to - because they'll just get in based on CTRS rankings.

That's what the language in the CBC article seems to be hinting at, in my opinion, anyway. They're very careful in how they talk about what type of eligibility will be impacted.

It's probably a good thing in the short term, to accommodate one or two Gushues of the world, at the top of the sport but not aligned with residency rules. Three wildcards is probably enough (although those who believe in "you should have to earn your way in" might disagree with just how that should be earned, but I digress).

But the athletes will evolve further in their non-provincial alignment, and by the next Olympic cycle those non-aligned top teams will probably outpace the number of wildcard entries available. And then how big does the competition need to grow to get them all in? 20 teams? 22? 24?

More importantly, how long can Curling Canada hold on to the increasingly incongruous objectives of retaining grassroots history and accommodating elite evolution at it's biggest event?

And in the mean time, are they even succeeding in meeting their purpose? curling.ca/about-curling-canada/what-we-do/our-mandate-and-mission/

Playdown numbers are dwindling and Canada are becoming less likely to earn medals at international competitions than ever before.
Not to mention shuttering clubs and decreased participation at the grassroots level in general. (And I won't get into viewership/broadcasts keeping up with the shift to online consumption/availability and their "more curling fans" goal).

I'm not sure how long they can keep chopping and changing this thing before it's indisputable that they've lost sight of their purpose and just want to squeeze every last drop from their golden goose at all costs.

I've always been of the opinion that they need to acknowledge the sport's new reality and separate professional from amateur.
Make the national championship professional, and keep the Brier/Scotties amateur but allow the winner/runner-up/third place teams a place at the national championship (and hey, the Bronze Medal match might mean something again).

Canada Cup becomes the national championship, and any financial windfall lost from the Brier/Scotties can be regained at that event. If they manage it right, they might even grow the pot.

In retrospect, I think the early 2000s WCT was on the right path towards this, and while I can understand why they got back together with the CCA, I think the sport would benefit from everyone taking another look at whether that might have been the right start for the roadmap of the future in Canada.

I certainly don't think they can hold on to tradition forever.

The risk is that a change from the Brier to the Canada Cup for the national championship relegates the Brier to a 2nd tier event (i.e. with the Slam events or lower) with no event replacing it on the top tier. Are the Trials even close to the Brier in audience appeal? If not, then to play devil's advocate, the Brier stops accommodating teams that do not want to abide by the residency rules. What happens then? Teams will be closer to repping the province than they do now and they can still compete for the Trials without having to qualify for the Brier. What is the downfall from this? We aren't sending our best team to the Worlds if teams are limited to provinces rather than an all-star team. IMO, I would rather the Brier stay the way it is rather than mess around with it so we can compete at the worlds. I could care less about that and a great argument can be made that keeping the Brier intact is the best thing for the growth of curling. There is a lot to be said for cheering your provincial team at the Brier rather than watching an import or two with zero local connection.

03-07-23 10:11AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by The Waco Kid
The risk is that a change from the Brier to the Canada Cup for the national championship relegates the Brier to a 2nd tier event

Send the Brier/Scotties winners to represent Canada and wear the Maple Leaf at Pan-Continental in the fall.

The Pan-Continental is a very important event for Canada, so this is a huge honor (some would say burden) for whichever team wins. Calendar gives the teams months to prepare.

Some people say this is too risky, but this is the proof in pudding moment for Canada in my opinion. Canada has depth, so it should be able to have 2 different teams to 2 different events.

If winners of Scotties/Brier are good enough to go to Worlds to earn Olympic points, then they should be good enough to go to Pan-Continental to qualify Canada at Worlds in the first place.

Imagine an alternate reality where a grassroot provincial team like Krista McCarville won 2022 Scotties but instead of going to 2022 World Women's they went to 2022 Pan-Continental to qualify Canada to 2023 World Women's. I think we all agree that McCarville is more than capable of that task, and everyone in Canada would be cheering for them.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-07-23 at 11:10AM

03-07-23 12:41PM
hogged again
Drawmaster

I can't recall a Brier with so many terrible misses and low percentages from top players. Where's Russ to tell us "the ice is patchy, but it's perfect and the icemakers are working harder than 1 legged field goal kickers"?

Only Tuesday morning draw but the standings are shaking out pretty much exactly as expected. Bottcher probably clinches 1st in pool with afternoon win over Goo and Dunstone-Koe game will decide other bye team.

Last edited by hogged again on 03-07-23 at 12:47PM

03-07-23 01:18PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
"the ice is patchy, but it's perfect and the icemakers are working harder than 1 legged field goal kickers"

So it's not just me that noticed that there's a weird vibe whenever curlers/commentators are talking about the icemakers, right?

I wonder what's going on with that dynamic. I suspect that there's lingering trauma from some dysfunctional relationship in the past.

The one story I've heard is that Shorty Jenkins was supposedly smuggled into the building one late night and did "things" to add extra curl that hurted the hitting teams and favored the drawing teams. The hitting teams then started losing and the drawing teams started winning.

03-07-23 03:15PM
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CurlingWatcher1
Tim Horton is leaving for a reason

I don't think anyone has provided a convincing argument that Tim Hortons breaking up with the Brier is because the Brier is the problem. Whatever reason for the breakup was all Tim Hortons, in my understanding.

I do think the Brier is a weaker brand than the Scotties, though. Just look at the ice at the Brier, and compare it to the ice at the Scotties. There's nothing iconic on the Brier ice that identifies the Brier brand.

By contrast, the Scotties has the big old blue ring with 4 red hearts right on center ice, and on the buttons and pretty much everywhere.

https://twitter.com/CurlingCanada/s...668000957579273

The Brier doesn't have any iconic logo for some reason.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-07-23 at 04:08PM