Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

Curling Scores

(WATCH LIVE!) (WATCH LIVE!) (WATCH LIVE!) (WATCH LIVE!) (WATCH LIVE!) (WATCH LIVE!) (WATCH LIVE!) (WATCH LIVE!) (WATCH LIVE!)
W: King Cash Spiel
Maple Ridge, BC
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Fri, Dec 3 -- 8:00pm PT
Kristen Ryan Final
Amy Wheatcroft (7)
Gushulak Final
Taylor Reese-Hansen (8)
Shiella Cowan Final
Shawna Jensen (8)
M: Lakeview Insurance Brokers Senior Men
Martensville, SK
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 1 -- Fri, Dec 3 -- 7:00pm CT
Brian Humble Final
Jim Wilson (6) Watch Live Curling!
Lloyd Fell Final
Shawn Joyce (7) Watch Live Curling!
Eugene Hritzuk Final
Brad Heidt 10  (7) Watch Live Curling!
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Olympic Trials - Early Line

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 20 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
11-08-21 09:43AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Olympic Trials - Early Line

Thinking there's about 3 teams (of 9 booked) that have no chance in the men's side.

On the women's side - very hard to write off anyone, except perhaps Jacquie Harrison - and like the saying goes "there's a chance".

Right now, the BIG 3 in Canadian women's curling seem to be slumping (or sleep-walking). Rachel Homan is routinely dropping games. Kerri Einarson appeas to be a nervous wreck - and Queen Jennifer Jones only has one obvious weakness - NOT MAKING ENOUGH SHOTS.

Never know if obvious repairs can be initiated and hold for Olympic trials to these 3 big teams. Jones erraticism is hardest to cure as its been on display the last 2 or 3 yrs. Now, she's holding timeouts on just about every shot, she's so rattled. Trying to make perfect shots every shot - thats not a good way to harness a still effective team.
Einarson seems to have fallen out of her euphoria after knocking the bejeebers out of perennial machine curler Rachel Homan at last two Scotties. Its really making it difficult for Val Sweeting, too as Val is not yet known as a superstar 3rd, Val is a sturdy watchman of the ice but if Einarson is missing the broom or failing to adjust her weights, Val is virtually useless.
Team Homan still houses all Canada's known power-curlers. But hard times have beset her recently. Axing Lisa Lead (Weagle) was perhaps the last straw. Jo Courtney just isn't able to do the things Weagle could do with a rock. While Sarah Wilkes is almost as physically imposing as Courtney, she's not quite the 2nd stone Courtney was.
M Miskew, long considered the elite 3rd in Cdn women's curling is no longer (same holds for Kaitlyn Lawes). Too many missed shots at inopportune times have beset their games.
As for Rachel - who knows? She used to be laser-focused 101% on the game at hand. Seems to have slightly diminished focus now. Seems they are more a team of skips & 3rds than even Team Einarson. Remember, Sarah Wilkes was a top hand 3rd for Chelsea Carey and before Rachel grabbed Courtney from Alberta, Courtney was firing 3rd stones for Val Sweeting.
I'll talk about the other 6 teams shortly!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

11-08-21 11:14AM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

Jacobs is going to beat Koe in the men's and Walker will surprise all with a win over Jones in the women's.

11-08-21 12:59PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Jacobs is going to beat Koe in the men's and Walker will surprise all with a win over Jones in the women's.

If Team Jacobs are all on their games, thats an easy one. They are Canada's true monsters - they'll beat the former monster Koe in the final. Only chane-up is if Gushue & Co. curl up a storm and ask Jacobs or Koe the question.

Walker is a reasonable darkhorse bet in womens. No longer everyone's friend and The PR Dream - Laura Walker has evolved into a solid mini-Killer. If Jones manages to stumble her way into the event final - I agree, Walker will TKO her despite her lack of success on the international front and never having won an STOH championship.

11-08-21 07:55PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

5th for Epping

Glen Howard will be 5th for Epping, what a great choice.

11-08-21 08:24PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Truth or speculation?? Very intriguing if true. An older version of Russ with Gushue

11-08-21 08:38PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Truth or speculation?? Very intriguing if true. An older version of Russ with Gushue

what the hell - truth! I do not speculate in forums.

https://www.tsn.ca/glenn-howard-to-...oCPGGqt4BlyXhuo

11-08-21 09:52PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Trials

Mens' side: hard to bet against Gushue. Jacobs or Koe could win if Brad G is off even a little. The boys from the Rock looked pretty solid this weekend, even trimming Mouat in the final. Horgan will upset a few teams.

Womens' side: Any of Homan, Einarson, Fleury, Jones would be favoured. Walker, McCarville, Roque are only a step behind. Curling is a darn hard game to predict at one event.

11-08-21 10:54PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

I handicap weekly events for my curling group on FB (Rockheads!) and I'm going to have some fun with this one. I can def see Homan and Koe hungry for that Oly spot again, could make a great "redemption story.

11-09-21 09:47AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

With the Wizard of Winter on board, Epping has gone from also ran to contender. Smart move. We can’t discount Team Fleury either. A slight hiccup this past weekend but if coach Sheri can stop curling and give them some coaching, they’ll be in the mix.

11-09-21 09:52AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
With the Wizard of Winter on board, Epping has gone from also ran to contender. Smart move. We can’t discount Team Fleury either. A slight hiccup this past weekend but if coach Sheri can stop curling and give them some coaching, they’ll be in the mix.

Yeah, no one needs a great coach more than Tracy Fleury. She's fairly careful and a true by-the-book skip. Too bad none of the Canadian teams (mens or womens) snatched up Wayne Middaugh as their coach. Sweden's Hasselborg did.

Jones & Homan are pretty much self-coached. Rachel often sneers at her coach during timeouts. Jones is in her own asteroid belt.

Einarson/Val also need a good coach - if nothing other than to stem the giggling!

11-10-21 09:14AM
Observer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Observer Find more posts by Observer Add Observer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Observer
Swing Artist

On the women's side, I'll say the top 3 will be Fleury, Einarson, and McCarville. Whoever comes out of that is a toss-up.

11-10-21 11:30AM
abcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for abcurler Click here to Send abcurler a Private Message Find more posts by abcurler Add abcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
abcurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'll throw my guesses in for fun
Mens final 3
Jacob's
Koe
Gushue / Bottcher

Women's
Fluery
Homan
Mccarville / Scheidegger

11-10-21 01:37PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Hard to rule out any of the women's teams, especially considering how the top ladies have been spilling out on the ice of recent.

Even Jacquie Harrison, the lowest seed might be no worse than 15-1 to win the Trials.

Never rule out Homan - basically due to her machine-like shot-pelting approach. She'll bow out if someone like Scheidegger, McCarville, Fleury, etc. can set enough traps for her.

I'd place Fleury as the pre-event favorite, not because she's a super strong, hi-percentage skip. She's not. But she's steady and has had the best lead up to the event.

Fleury - 5-1
Homan - 6-1
McCarville - 8-1
Scheidegger - 9-1
Jones - 10-1
Walker - 10-1
Einarson - 10-1
Rocque - 12-1
Harrison - 15-1

11-10-21 02:38PM
abcurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for abcurler Click here to Send abcurler a Private Message Find more posts by abcurler Add abcurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
abcurler
Harvey Hacksmasher

I'd like to add in. Ypu know that for homan einerson etc their focus is 110 percent on the trials not the lead up. Remember in 2017 homan didn't exactly set the tour on fire and she won the 2017 trials. The event she wanted the most. There's a handful.of teams whose focus is 110 percent the trials.

11-10-21 03:12PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Not trials related but after not being selected to play in Europeans, it seems Lauren Grey is leaving the game

https://www.britishcurling.org.uk/n...ritish-curling/

Last edited by curlerbroad on 11-10-21 at 04:22PM

11-10-21 10:43PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is online now Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I’ll take a stab. Best chance for Canada to medal would be Gushue or Jacobs on the men’s side . Ladies Homan and Einarson. Outside shot and hoping for Fleury. Too bad Carey was on the outside looking in. Good team.

11-11-21 12:34AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by abcurler
There's a handful of teams whose focus is 110 percent the trials.

I don't remember in which interview he said this, but Bottcher himself said that his team knowingly starts cold/lukewarm at the beginning of this season, so they can peak red hot at the trials.

I'm not a sports performance expert, but I think the idea of timely peaking has now been acknowledged. This is one reason why the trial vs Olympics schedule is a contestable issue (it's very difficult to peak twice in quick succession, or to extend one long peak to cover both events on the calendar).

Team Einarson has acknowledged that their 2018-2019 season was a case of peaking too early. They started red hot by winning 4 consecutive events in 3 weeks, but then failed to make it to the Scotties.

11-11-21 04:55AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
I’ll take a stab. Best chance for Canada to medal would be Gushue or Jacobs on the men’s side . Ladies Homan and Einarson. Outside shot and hoping for Fleury. Too bad Carey was on the outside looking in. Good team.

Outstanding analysis. Fleury is such a nice person - never much sign of an ill temper, unlike Jones or Homan. Rarely shell-shocked like Einarson.
Carey is perhaps the most enigmatic skip in women's curling history. When Chelsea is on - she's really on. She makes shot after shot and difficult shots are made with relative ease. But when the lights go out - they really go out. She then curls like a helpless fawn. Perhaps the reason she;s known as curling's 'Traveling Nomad'- aka "HAVE SLIDER, WILL TRAVEL"

11-11-21 08:55AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Chelsea's problems with players fleeing her sinking ship can be summed up with one word " dad".

11-11-21 10:20AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Chelsea's problems with players fleeing her sinking ship can be summed up with one word " dad".

Perhaps I should change her slogan to:

"HAVE DAD. WILL TRAVEL"

11-11-21 11:59AM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by decade

X2

11-12-21 01:32PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

TRX-30

Just a quick shout-out to some of the women's teams we'll most miss at this year's trials.

1. Sherri Middaugh - Sherri was always good for terrifying a couple top teams but her kryptonite finally caught up with her. Lower than required shooting percentages + age.

2. Laurie St. Georges - the new one from Quebec just didn't have enough back-fill to nab a spot on points. Would have given half the field a run for their money!

3. Suzanne Birt - lots of fans for the smooth sliding Maritimer but again, not enough shots in the quiver.

4. Lawton/Silvernagle/Anderson - the Sask'n girls just haven't been able to piece together a formidable squad since the halcyon days of Schmirler the Curler. Lawton was almost always a nervous wreck skipping, Silvernagle seems headed for glamor curler status and Anderson is one of the most storied curlers in Canada - just real tough to get in at 57/58.

5. Chelsea Carey - unable to carry forward points was her undoing. However, when you go full nomad you pay the price.

6. Hollie Duncan - not enough power on her team, but certainly no worse than at least 2 squads already booked in.

7. Mack Zacharias - not quite ready for the bigs. . . . but getting closer all the time. Might be able to rep Manitoba at this year's STOHs as a consolation.

8. Corryn Brown - the top BC team PLUS the usual characters we've come to know and "love" over the years: Cheryl Bernard, Amy Nixon, Kelly Scott, Colleen Jones, Kim Kelly, Jeanna Schroeder, Andrea Crawford, etc.

11-12-21 07:05PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Here's perennial contender Krista McCarville's Trials schedule:

Trials Schedule
Nov. 20 – Jennifer Jones
Nov. 21 – Rachel Homan, Casey Scheidegger
Nov. 22 – Tracy Fleury
Nov. 23 – Jacqueline Harrison
Nov. 24 – Kerri Einarson
Nov. 25 – Kelsey Rocque, Laura Walker
Nov. 26 – Off Day

Krista could easily be 4-1 before she pits up against Kerri Einarson Nov. 24.
Should have little problem pounding Jennifer Jones into submission on the opening draw. Big test on Day 2 with both Scheidegger & Homan - they might split the pair. The biggest early test will be against Tracy Fleury in their 4th game. If they can slip by Fleury they'll be 3-1 and playing Jackie Harrison to go 4-1 the next day. That would put them in excellent shape to make playoffs. Then, who knows?
Immo the game against Fleury will decide their fate!

11-12-21 09:00PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Here's perennial contender Krista McCarville's Trials schedule:

Trials Schedule
Nov. 20 – Jennifer Jones
Nov. 21 – Rachel Homan, Casey Scheidegger
Nov. 22 – Tracy Fleury
Nov. 23 – Jacqueline Harrison
Nov. 24 – Kerri Einarson
Nov. 25 – Kelsey Rocque, Laura Walker
Nov. 26 – Off Day

Krista could easily be 4-1 before she pits up against Kerri Einarson Nov. 24.
Should have little problem pounding Jennifer Jones into submission on the opening draw. Big test on Day 2 with both Scheidegger & Homan - they might split the pair. The biggest early test will be against Tracy Fleury in their 4th game. If they can slip by Fleury they'll be 3-1 and playing Jackie Harrison to go 4-1 the next day. That would put them in excellent shape to make playoffs. Then, who knows?
Immo the game against Fleury will decide their fate!

I like McCarville's team and attitude but 1-4 start is way more likely than 4-1. She is underdog in 3 games, pickem vs Scheidegger and slight fave over Harrison.

Last edited by hogged again on 11-12-21 at 09:05PM

11-12-21 09:08PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

I like McCarville's team and attitude but 1-4 start is way more likely than 4-1. She is underdog in 3 games, pickem vs Scheidegger and slight fave over Harrison.

The worst McCarville will be after 4 games - 2-3; she'll dispose of Jones with little to no problem. See Jones finishing up the track 2-5, 3-4 at best.
If she splits w/ Scheidegger & Homan she'll be 3-2. Like I said the game vs. Fleury is the one that most determines her fate.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 11-13-21 at 02:42PM