Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

Curling Scores

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2021 World Mixed Doubles Curling Championship

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-22-21 06:40PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they use DSC when comparing across pool, instead of using the Win-Loss record within their own pools.

So the reseeded ranks are

#1 B1 SWE 9W-0L 25.02
#2 A1 SCO 8W-1L 27.73

#3 A2 CAN 7W-2L 20.21
#4 B2 NOR 8W-1L 34.73

Thus, 1v4 is SWE vs NOR, and 2v3 is SCO vs CAN.

As far as I know, DSC is only used when H2H results can't break a tie when two teams have the same record.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-22-21 07:12PM
curlingclips is online now Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP
As far as I know, DSC is only used when H2H results can't break a tie when two teams have the same record.

For round robin, yes (e.g. World Men's & Women's). Or from within pool (e.g. A7:AUS, A8:HUN, A9:KOR this year).

In this playoff reseeding case, there is no head-to-head results for A2:CAN vs B2:NOR. They come from 2 different pools, so you can't rank them by their Win/Loss records. You can only rank them by DSC, which is universal measurement regardless of pool.

In other words, the reason B1:SWE is ranked #1 is not because it was the only undefeated team, but because it has better DSC than A1:SCO.

Had A1:SCO had the better DSC, it would have been ranked #1, in spite of having a loss coming out of its pool.

Here's the official explanation:
https://worldcurling.org/2021/05/wm...-qualification/

quote:
At the conclusion of the round-robin stage, once the Group Rankings have been determined the two groups are merged into a single group ranking table. This determines their final ranking position in the round robin, from 1–20.

This ranking is set by comparing the Draw Shot Challenge results of teams who hold the same rank in both groups.

For example: A1 and B1 have their Draw Shot Challenge result compared, with the better result earning the first-placed rank while the other earns the second-placed rank. This process is applied for each of the ten group positions.

Last edited by curlingclips on 05-22-21 at 07:38PM

05-22-21 07:47PM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Harvey Hacksmasher

Thanks for all the help with the ignore function Albetts, In off for two and curling clips.

Im disappointed to see Kerri and Brad won’t advance but they had a good run.

05-22-21 07:59PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

Yes good run for Einarson/Gushue. I'm thinking both but especially Kerry does not want to see a curling rock for a long long time.

05-22-21 08:00PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

And yes I know they still have to play for the bronze not a big fan of that game.

05-23-21 05:10AM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

For round robin, yes (e.g. World Men's & Women's). Or from within pool (e.g. A7:AUS, A8:HUN, A9:KOR this year).

In this playoff reseeding case, there is no head-to-head results for A2:CAN vs B2:NOR. They come from 2 different pools, so you can't rank them by their Win/Loss records. You can only rank them by DSC, which is universal measurement regardless of pool.

In other words, the reason B1:SWE is ranked #1 is not because it was the only undefeated team, but because it has better DSC than A1:SCO.

Had A1:SCO had the better DSC, it would have been ranked #1, in spite of having a loss coming out of its pool.

Here's the official explanation:
https://worldcurling.org/2021/05/wm...-qualification/

Thanks for the info.

That is one of the most convoluted and dumbest things I have ever heard of in my life. Whoever signed off on using that as a method of ranking the teams is an idiot.

05-23-21 05:30AM
GregJP
Swing Artist

This method was completely unfair to Norway. They went 8-1 and the only team they lost to was 9-0 Sweden. So what was their reward for that? Meeting the Swedes again the semi-finals and not crossing over and playing Scotland. By this method the possibly second best team in the tournament can get eliminated by losing only to the best team twice and never playing the top two teams in the other group. As it turned out, it ended up being unfair to Sweden as well. They had to face an 8-1 team that they had already beaten instead of a 7-2 team that they hadn't played yet.

DSR is fine if you have no time for tiebreakers and two teams have the same record. In fact I prefer DSR to H2H result between teams. But when one team clearly has a better record (even in another pool) that should take precedence over DSR. And you should always avoid A1 vs A2 and B1 vs B2 in the semi finals. Sometimes the two best teams are in the same pool and having them face each other in group play and in the semi-finals is unfair to both of them.

05-23-21 05:46AM
GregJP
Swing Artist

There is no way to prove it, but I'm pretty sure that Oskar Erikkson is the best individual curler in the world at the moment. And Bruce Mouat isn't far behind. It's just too bad they can't go head to head in the gold medal game. One very unfortunate missed draw to the 8 foot. I think De Val is going to be having nightmares about that shot for a long time. She's had a fantastic tournament. By far the best women's player.

Sweden Almida de Val 87.6
Scotland Jennifer Dodds 80.7
Switzerland Jenny Perret 78.8
Norway Kristin Skaslien 78.5
United States Tabitha Peterson 75.5

Sweden Oskar Eriksson 87.8
Norway Magnus Nedregotten 85.8
Scotland Bruce Mouat 84.9
Italy Amos Mosaner 81.4
Canada Brad Gushue 80.8

05-23-21 09:52AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I usually don't take up words like sick or twisted (unless describing GeeDope) but pitting Sweden up vs. Norway was a colossal mess up, despite the tissues of excuses.

The most vulnerable team to reach the semis was Canada - and Scotland got the surprise present of meeting them. Erratica Einarson was still operating on only 4 cylinders (while the top female skips varied from 6 to 8) plus Gushue no longer able to stand up to top guys like Oskar or Mouat.

Biggest surprise of the entire thing was NOT, however how badly Canada crashed (they did well to finish 3rd or 4th). . . . but the amazing round-robin performance of young Swedish skip, Almida De Val who finished the round-robin with 87% scoring accuracy. Thats amazing, given the difficulty faced on the skips final stone - anything over 80% is amazing, 87% is near perfection.

If the scoring was realistic, Einarson prolly finished around 45 to 55% vs. Scotland in the semi-final, especially when gassing a couple terribly key shots early.

Goo not much better, perhaps 63 to 74% but no match for the superior man, Bruce Mouat.

Should note Canada might have a chance for bronze as so-called near perfect De Val squanched her final stone draw (with backing she ignored) to the 8 foot by 2 inches heavy. Almida De Val might have PTSD trauma after that miss so lets see how she fares against Erratic Einarson and Brad "When's my flight back?" Gushue this morning.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 05-23-21 at 11:10AM

05-23-21 10:29AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Lots of luck in curling , norway gets a 8' draw to win miss and advances , a wick and a tick

Lots of teams 90% average

It usually comes down to last rock and a 100% game usually beats a 57% game

05-23-21 11:02AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Mouat now understands what it's like to have your partner shoot 69% rather than 81%.

05-23-21 11:13AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I can only imagine Mouat's head exploding if SCF saddled him with Eve Muirhead or Anna Sloan.

05-23-21 11:47AM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

But unlike Gushue, he was able to overcome.

05-23-21 11:50AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I think Ms. Skaslien came within a 1/16 of an inch from making one of the more remarkable winning deuces of all-time. I didn't see it come - BUT IT WAS OBVIOUSLY THERE!

05-23-21 11:56AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Not sure how ascorekeeper can score a game accurately

Seems like abt a dozen shots a game only the playersknow what they are playing

Does norway get 0 for the lastshot or 3 of 4 or 4.99 of 5

Now that curlings over , does anyone else find " prince harry " to be pathetic and not smart in his choice of a witch ?

Last edited by fresca on 05-23-21 at 12:01PM

05-23-21 12:12PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
But unlike Gushue, he was able to overcome.

Jen Dodds was a bit shaky off the hop - but in the end she regained status as "Steady Eddy", enough for Mouat & her to secure gold.

05-24-21 08:33PM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP
There is no way to prove it, but I'm pretty sure that Oskar Erikkson is the best individual curler in the world at the moment. And Bruce Mouat isn't far behind. It's just too bad they can't go head to head in the gold medal game. One very unfortunate missed draw to the 8 foot. I think De Val is going to be having nightmares about that shot for a long time. She's had a fantastic tournament. By far the best women's player.

Sweden Almida de Val 87.6
Scotland Jennifer Dodds 80.7
Switzerland Jenny Perret 78.8
Norway Kristin Skaslien 78.5
United States Tabitha Peterson 75.5

Sweden Oskar Eriksson 87.8
Norway Magnus Nedregotten 85.8
Scotland Bruce Mouat 84.9
Italy Amos Mosaner 81.4
Canada Brad Gushue 80.8

Could you possibly indicate the percentages of the remaining players who participated in this event? Tks.

06-05-21 08:54AM
GregJP
Swing Artist

Those percentages were listed on Wikipedia. To find the rest you can go to the WCF website and try to find reports for the event. I'm afraid the website is such a disaster that your task might be a bit difficult.

06-05-21 09:25AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

De Val was obviously the big revelation for Swedish curling in this event. She's a 3rd for Isabella Wrana, the swedish 2nd or 3rd team. Not bad but so long as Hasselborg has her current team - pretty tough to emerge as a world 4-player threat.

De Val's percentages (87% overall) were so astounding because there was only 1 other female skip who was above 80% (barely) but I'm sure she was buoyed by having a man with both the shot-making skills & cool temperament as Oskar Erickson. That guy is a true master of the game!

If Swedish curling was run like Scotland I'm sure we'd see the executives replace Sara McManus with De Val to try and get Hasselborg competitive with the Swiss super-squad led by Tirinzoni.

Finally, yes De Val was a revelation but she missed a rather simple draw to secure a berth in the golden game.

Skips like Jennifer Jones may now be a shadow of their former selves but Jones could curl a miserable 65 or 70% but would be 100% on shots that made a difference. Once De Val gets that idea - she'll be near invincible, given the right group around her.

06-05-21 01:06PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Give it a rest.

06-05-21 01:17PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Its Me!