W: Morris MJCT Spring 2020
Morris, MB
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 1 -- Fri, Mar 13 -- 6:00pm CT
Jensen  
Ogg  
Tober  
Stobbe  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 15 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
05-01-21 08:55AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Einarson & team were much sharper against Czech Republic last night. Kerri seemed more serious. Val curled 77% ok against that team but not good enough for the top teams.

Good to see them come back.

Your point on Val does not fall on deaf ears. Val has morphed from a timid & meek young rock-tosser to an able vice w/ many great leadership qualities, particularly in reading ice & weight. Her strategery is almost on par with Einarson.

However, for the most part Val puts out mostly 70 to 80% games. Only running at 77% vs a lower tier team like Czechs is more the norm for Val. When the top monsters put immense rock placement pressure on her the percentages will drop even more. What keeps them in the games vs. monsters is Kerri stepping up to the plate and putting up some huge numbers.

Also noticed that Birchard is playing with her Chubby Checker "Twist 'n Shout" release more than ever. I don't think I've ever seen anyone as handsey on a rock handle than her.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-01-21 02:53PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

After only a couple games I'm switching out my favorites.

Before it started I had Einarson at around 44% to win gold, Hassleborg at 35%, Tirinzoni/Patz at around 11%, Muirhead 7% and the rest of field 3%

If Sara McManus continues to kick things into gear and fulfills her promise as the #1 world 3rd I have to switch out the Top 2, especially if Birchard is starting to fuss with her releases.

The premise of Kerri/Val being #1 was based upon Val being able to hold up her bargain vs Sara. Now, its clear that Sara will consistently out-curl all comers at this event, including Val.

Front ends are pretty close - I'd have ranked Canada #1 & Sweden #2 but now not so sure. If Birchard is fussing up then Agnes & Sofia are at least equal. They are also very powerful brushers - the combo might even be a tad better than Briane/Shannon.

That means the entire affair falls to Kerri E. I suspect she'll be facing tons of hi degree of difficulty shots like she did in her opener w/ Sweden. If thats the case I don't know if Kerri can provide enough help to overcome the deficit of Sara burying Val in constant torment.

However, thats pre-supposing the 2 teams will meet again - either in semis or final.

We know Sara & the Swedish front end have come loaded for bear. If Anna Hasselborg is on her game it would be stunning if that team loses more than 1 game overall.

05-01-21 02:56PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

The other intangible is coaching. I don't think you can even begin to compare Swedish coach Wayne Middaugh to Team CAN coach Heather Nedohin. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Obviously they don't listen to a guy punching out keyboard space on the CZ but you'll remember I did recommend brining Brad Gushue aboard as coach.

I'm more comfortable with Krys Karwacki being 5th player than Heather coaching. Big advantage to the team with Middaugh as the HC.

05-01-21 04:40PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Well I have to agree with you ML. Wayne did something at the break to pump team Sweden up. I’m surprised Kerri dumped her coach from last year Patti Wuthrich unless Patti retired.

05-01-21 05:41PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Canada w/ mild control of Team Suisse at the break. But the Suisse know the secret's out on beating Einarson. Torque up the difficulty on Val, then leave Kerri with Hail Kerri shots.

What would be devastating, even though its only one game is for Canada to mess up badly down the stretch and let Suisse steal a W.

Silvana & Alina don't look like monsters - BUT THEY ARE. THEY'RE AS VICIOUS AS THEY GET ON A CURLING SHEET.

05-01-21 06:30PM
southerncurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for southerncurler Find more posts by southerncurler Add southerncurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
southerncurler
Hitting Paint

Two baddddd misses in the ninth end from Kerri

05-01-21 06:33PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Kerri looked golden thru 7 ends curling at around 98% - but she's presenting a Reverse Jennifer Jones syndrome. Jones would curl 33% for 5 or 6 ends - then roar like a White Lion down the stretch, curling 85 to 95% to take over games.

Kerri appears really down on herself, missing her first draw by 12 feet and then losing focus on the hit facing 3 and barely moving shot stone to allow Patz a steal of 2 and an 8-5 lead comin' home. Pretty basic stuff for Patz to machine out the Canadians in 10 - Kerri is one burned out curler!

btw - not quite as devastating as missing a basic last rock. Kerri & Val were totally overpowered & brutalized by both Silvana & Alina in this one. So no shame. You got out-curled like crazy.

Try again next time!!!

05-01-21 06:47PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Suspect Team Canada will now feed Briane or Shannon to TSN for post-game comments.

Val & Kerri appear shaken!

05-01-21 07:07PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

Canada's game against the not Russians will be very interesting. If we lose that one watch out.

05-01-21 07:19PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Suspect Team Canada will now feed Briane or Shannon to TSN for post-game comments.

Val & Kerri appear shaken!
[/QUOTE
An understatement. At least the giggling stopped . Now to stop the low fives. That went out 10 years ago. Every seen a man's team do it.

05-01-21 09:14PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

Watched the SWE-DEN game. The Danish women are not bad but they're getting bad advice from their coach.
They had Sweden on the ropes at one point and needed an aggressive draw into the rings.

Their coach suggested putting up a useless guard, just in case they might give up two, conceeding an easy one.
It could have been a steal of 2.

They let the Swedes off the hook and it was all downhill from there.

05-01-21 10:25PM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

Well... Canada is somewhat comfortably ahead 5-3 after 5 vs. RCF, and with hammer in the 6th.
So, based on how previous games went, this means it's not looking good...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

05-01-21 10:35PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

I wonder if there's something different with how WCF and Curling Canada administer half-time breaks, and if that's part of the reason why Einarson's performance degrades in second half.

I've always wondered if there's a correlation between what nutrition you take at the break and performance, for example. Watching 2018 Olympics was interesting, because some teams eat proper food, some suck on gels from pouches, some just use drink mixes, etc.

05-01-21 10:45PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
Curlingclips, I was intrigued by your recent post which suggested that Sarah Wilkes was being "underutilized" on Homan's team.

Are you in effect implying that if she were to play vice, the team's overall performance would improve? Or ??

this was me. I think she’s a better brain than a sweeper. She seems like a smart cookie, but not my first choice if I want to melt a glacier (although she ain’t bad at that). I just think she seems like a really great curling mind and that’s better suited to be third or a skip.

Haven’t caught up on posts though so this post may already be outdated.

05-01-21 10:47PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

ML fancies himself as the entertainment of this forum. To save everyone the trouble, let's just call him the class clown. He demeans woman, gives them the ridiculous nick names and just assumes the public will follow him. NEWS BULLETIN...ML grow up.

I haven’t seen ML afraid to give a man a ridiculous nickname. He seems like a straight shooter to me. Not sure why people have an issue here.

05-01-21 10:56PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

I've always wondered if there's a correlation between what nutrition you take at the break and performance, for example. Watching 2018 Olympics was interesting, because some teams eat proper food, some suck on gels from pouches, some just use drink mixes, etc.

Agreed.
Team Canada needs to stop carbing up with those giant plates of pasta at the 5th end break.

05-01-21 11:20PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Its not over yet but Canada seems to be like the professional boxer who dominates a fight for 10 rds but fades badly in late rounds and gets TKO'd or stopped on cuts in the 11th or 12th round.

And I thought rock positioning nightmares were exclusively a Jennifer Jones problem. Einarson & Sweeting are just crap at rock placements. Lots of screwups too numerous to mention!

05-01-21 11:36PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

9th end looked like deuce (or even 3) for Canada all day and all week
BUT Val stuffs her runback after a nice double with her first and Kerri goofed up miserably with her final brick, overthrew the darn thing and rolled a few inches too far in what should have been a near routine deuce!

RCF skip is a killer so Team Einarson setting themselves up for another L in 10.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 05-01-21 at 11:58PM

05-01-21 11:57PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Given Einarson's level of play and double conquest of Rachel Homan, I thought a minor disaster would be starting 2-2.

Didn't see 1-3 coming. Apparently, neither did Ms. Einarson.

She's a bundle of nerves & jitters right now. Sweeting ain't much better.

If Tabby beats them tomorrow, sending EInarson to 1-4, then not only are Canada's medal chances crippled - they risk losing Canada's Olympic spot.

05-02-21 12:03AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
they risk losing Canada's Olympic spot

Wording matters. You can't lose what you don't have. Olympic spot has to be earned, either by qualifying, or by hosting, and maybe some other ways I'm not aware of.

05-02-21 12:10AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

If there was any doubt that Canada is over-thinking things after blowing two comfortable leads in the first 3 games, the 4th game - and 3rd blown lead - erases all doubt.
They are clearly nervous to the point of it affecting their play negatively.

The tendency was to think that, because Canada has spent so much time in the 'Calgary bubble', with the 'Scotties' and the grand slams, they'd have an advantage over the other teams who haven't spent as much time in that unnatural environment.
But perhaps the opposite is true... maybe the restrictions of 'bubble life' are wearing thin on Canada, and they are simply psychologically tired. And when that happens, nerves kick in, and you miss some shots, and it just snowballs.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

05-02-21 12:12AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips

Wording matters. You can't lose what you don't have. Olympic spot has to be earned, either by qualifying, or by hosting, and maybe some other ways I'm not aware of.

Wording does matter. However, Canada as always taken its Olympic curling invitations for granted. Based on how Einarson is playing - and assessing her completely shaky demeanor I would say Canada might be in a torrid battle for something between 6th & 8th place at this event.

05-02-21 12:20AM
curlingclips
Swing Artist

quote:
Wording does matter.

And yet you said this:
quote:
they risk losing Canada's Olympic spot.

Team Einarson does not risk losing Canada's Olympic spot, because (i) you can't lose what you don't have, and (ii) if Canada places outside of playoff, there's a qualification event later in the year.

Wording matters. Canada does not risk losing its Olympic spot as a result of what happens in this competition.

05-02-21 09:12AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Wouldnt bother me if Canada pulled out of the olympics and worlds

About 5 years of brier and scotties and slams with excllusive Canadian teams would put an end to 15 countries , some of which dont have a curling rink, and most not having more than 2 competitive govt sponsored professional teams .

The slam spots would help build the sport by allowing young teams to compete before at age 26 they realize they are wasting their life .

The $100,000 scott and brier funding should be stopped - and cc be not allowed to train and fund a select few - that accumulate points that 99% of teams arent eligible for .

Curling is watched by a million people - most who live in Canada and are old . They are generally cheap in that they dont attend live games and pay $10 because its free on tv .

Its quite boring compared to most sports so its unlikely as every year clubs close - to get more popular.

Its played quite well by non athletic people - 80% practise , 10% concentration and 10% brains . In recent years the committed teams have started to exercise which gives an advantage to about 20 people on 10 teams that can drag a rock an extra 5 feet - and even carve it . This is more than the ice can bare and leads to runs in the ice - edge of the 4 is fast 15 seconds - edge of the 8 can be normal 13 seconds ( simplified )

Teams that draw the pot usually for last rock , never worse than the 4 - suddenly in 4th or 8th are 6 feet heavy or light on a rock resulting in a game deciding 3 ender . Another great equalizer . The worst equalizer is the 5nrock rule that results in teams forced to play junk - guards and draws to pot - every end they play flluky pool shots - quite exciting to tv viewers when they are made 30% of the time .

So no free guards in last 3 ends and the best team will win more often - but we will only need 1 announcer - win - win .

Curlers are not generally athletes born with natural ability - more like bobsledders and golfers - where average people practise and become competent - im guessing kevin martin could go 5-5 in next yrs brier . Curled 80- 90% 50 years ago with no practise - didnt throw a rock for 20 years and then 5 years ago paid $5 for a $10,000 draw to the pot - no practise , no sweeping - the rock passed over the pot and bit the back of the pot .

Reminds me of rich guys that think they are athletes after they buy $20,000 snowmobiles and go fast .

Like bench clearing in baseball and fights in hockey - bread and circus

Last edited by fresca on 05-02-21 at 09:28AM

05-02-21 09:30AM
johnnysmoke
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
The slam spots would help build the sport by allowing young teams to compete before at age 26 they realize they are wasting their life . .

Well.....there's a lot to unpack in that dour and bleak stream of conciousness so I'll just comment on this quoted part.

Can't you say one is wasting their life on pretty much anything they do; any activity, other than sleeping, eating, breathing, and some other functions neccessary for living?