Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Canadian Mixed Doubles

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-22-21 04:37PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Mixed 4 Doubles - - - let the hand-pickin' begin . . .

Its hand-pickin' cuz your pickin' from the same pool of sharks, known professional or semi-pro curlers with name recognition in the sport. . .

Back to this week's event. Laura Walker looking and talking like a champion - machining off a tough team in Briane Meilleur/Mark Nichols with relative ease. Meilleur looked out of synch with Nichols to be sure. Whisperin' Duke Muyres appears creepy at times with his incessant whispering; Laura called him on it at least once, which was very funny!

Laura gradually morphing into one of women's curling's top monsters. The game seems to have finally gelled in her mind.

The real tell on these teams is the lady curler. Lots of them pretty great with their first stone but don't have the innate ability to close the deal with their last. Look at the stats sheets. Walker, Birchard, Einarson very consistent numbers between their lead rock and their skip rock. Thats a big tell. Meilleur, Selena, Val, many others unable to close the deal with last rock.

Jury is still out on Lisa Weagle. She may be able to get over the hump and turn into a FINAL 4 competitor this go round.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-22-21 04:48PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Other prominent women & men NOT playing MD = [...] Coco Jones, [...], Gunner

You are just making stuff up.

Assuming Coco Jones is Colleen Jones, she played in 2020 NS championship with her son. They would've been in this championship had they won.

https://www.curlingzone.com/event.p...1&teamid=143624
https://www.curling.ca/blog/2019/11...-in-the-family/

Moreover, Jason Gunnlaugson played 2020 MB championship with his wife. They would've been in this championship had they won.

https://mb.curling.io/en/events/574...mpionship/teams

They were in 2018 championship. In 2017 and in the Olympic trials, Gunnlaugson played with Shannon Birchard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_...ng_Championship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_...ng_Championship
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ 2018...c_Trials

Let's put some effort in the posts and not just make stuff up.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-22-21 at 06:15PM

03-22-21 05:41PM
hogged again is online now Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

The playoff format is bizarre. You can win your group and still end up with the group of 7 2nd and 3rd place teams in a qualifier.
Top 4 group winners go to final 8.The 5th group winner plays the #12 team (a 3rd place finisher) while the 5 2nd place teams and 1 other 3rd place team play and the 4 winners go to the final 8.
Winning your group should have the same reward, a spot in the final 8. If you let all 5 group winners into the final 8 then the 5 2nd place finishers and 1 3rd place team would play for the other 3 spots. 11 playoff spots instead of 12.

03-22-21 07:52PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Gushue

Was going to live stream his game on Facebook and TSN said no. You would think that the sponsors would be ok with it as extra on ice free ads that wouldn't normally get shown. And they usually get over 1000 viewers for regular spiels I can only imagine way more for this.

TSN, we WON'T show it, and nobody else can either.

Maybe we need Kramer to sneak in and film it.

03-22-21 08:30PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Hey curling clips

Talk about the pot calling the cat black

Werent you the naive little twit that turned out to be the know it all sea lawyer
Take a hike dipstick

03-22-21 08:37PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

I've been mostly fascinated by the brooms that people are using. This morning, Gallant used his Team Gushue broom. Most people have been using some generic brooms. Jones was delivering with hair broom in the Scotties, but she uses her sweeping broom for mixed doubles.

I wonder how many brooms there are in that quarantine hotel.

I noticed that for 2018 Olympics, Team Koe brought 7 brooms to most games. Laing was the only odd man that didn't have his own delivering broom.

03-22-21 08:46PM
curlingclips
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by fresca

Manitoba Legend claimed, without evidence, that Jason Gunnlaugson does not play mixed doubles.

I counterclaimed, with evidence, that Jason Gunnlaugson played in 2017 championship with Shannon Birchard. He also played in 2018 Olympic trial with Birchard. He played in 2018 championship with his wife, and had they won MB in 2020, they would've been in this year's championship.

That is not a 'pot calling kettle black' situation.

On a personal note, I recommend that you watch any Gunnlaugson/Birchard games you can find. Those two had excellent team dynamics.

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-22-21 at 08:49PM

03-22-21 08:47PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Hey curling clips

Werent you the naive little twit that turned out to be the know it all sea lawyer
Take a hike dipstick

Curly Clipboard was the hate-farmer formerly known as Nine-Ender. Lots of similarity - this one trying to pretend he (its) an American newbie . . . ! ! !

03-22-21 08:55PM
curlingclips
Swing Artist

I don't hate anyone here. I just want us to have quality discussion with factual basis. No making stuff up as you go along. No conspiracy theories.

//edit: here's a gift/peace offering for those who have never seen Gunnlaugson play mixed doubles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgSNW7GLF7M
https://www.curlingzone.com/post.php?postid=884

It's a quad takeout against Jamie Sinclair/Korey Dropkin. Gunnlaugson/Birchard went undefeated 6-0 and won the event.

Also, for the Jim Cotter fans, if you didn't already know, he played in the 2016 championship with his daughter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAopS5jnm0M&t=6m51s
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sask...ition-1.3518261

Last edited by curlingclips on 03-22-21 at 09:46PM

03-23-21 09:40AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Hope this doesn't set off Curling Clipboard's trigger-temper as its simply an expression of opinion (like the vast majority of my posts) vs. a stated fact. . . .

No secret the odds-on favorite to win the MD gold - Little Laura Walker & Duke Muyres.

Not only because they're unbeaten and already qualified to advance but more their variety of skills.

Walker, after several years of frustration and working with weaker teams is now a legit Top 5 Canadian women's skip - some would even have her 3rd behind Einarson & Homan but I've still got her in 4th or 5th, exceeded by JJ & Kris McCarville. If she could parachute her current 3rd (Kate Cameron) and find herself a Birchard/Lawes/Miskew type she'd be very competitive with the Top 2 for the next several years.

Muyres may have an odd strategical process but in the end he works well with Walker and as a former top skip in SK he makes a ton of hits and now, as a 2nd for Dunstone he's a super strong brusher.

Walker is an unexpectedly tenacious brusher, sort of a hybrid between Kaitlyn Lawes (size) and Jo Courtney (power)

At this point I think only Einarson/Gushue, Jones/Laing, Peterman/Gallant are equipped to take them on.

I suspect your Canadian Mixed D final will feature:
Walker vs. Einarson, even though Brad Gushue seems to be a broken man after bowing out of the Brier and Einarson seems to be using this event to prep for worlds after coming off her incredible squashing of Rachel Homan in 2 straight Scotty finals.

03-23-21 10:04AM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

I find md hard to watch

They all seem to dump every rock into 4 ft then play fluke shots the last few rocks

Its dragged out as are all cc events - the first 4 day is betterthan endless covid , murder , basket ball and nightly repetitive jets games playing same teams - some femes scream to much - if gallant is pounding it at the hog the screaming is just i gnorant

Hilarious that the females all seem to be chatty cathy knowitalls and the men put up with it - you an tell a few men are annoyed - speaking of curling clips .................
He is quite unbareable too

03-23-21 10:37AM
Maggie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Maggie Find more posts by Maggie Add Maggie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maggie
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
I find md hard to watch

They all seem to dump every rock into 4 ft then play fluke shots the last few rocks

Its dragged out as are all cc events - the first 4 day is betterthan endless covid , murder , basket ball and nightly repetitive jets games playing same teams - some femes scream to much - if gallant is pounding it at the hog the screaming is just i gnorant

Hilarious that the females all seem to be chatty cathy knowitalls and the men put up with it - you an tell a few men are annoyed - speaking of curling clips .................
He is quite unbareable too

Ah, Fresca. Irony is dead. You’re chirping at another poster for being unbearable while you make misogynistic posts about women. The men holler to sweep, too.

Fun fact: when referring to humans female is not a noun.

03-23-21 10:47AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Whats this all about?
No draw on TSN this a.m.

Did TSN pull the pin on MC, perhaps after Gushue threatened to facebook live one of his evening (no TV) matches?

Or TSN tall foreheads figured there were no games worth televising this a.m.

What gives?

I have all 5 TSN channels. . . ! ! !

03-23-21 10:53AM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Click here to Send Qtownranger a Private Message Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

TSN is still bringing three games today, just later so they can pick up the first playoff round at 8:30 eastern.

Generally agree with your favourites but Morris/Schmieman has a shot too.

03-23-21 11:05AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Hope this doesn't set off Curling Clipboard's trigger-temper as its simply an expression of opinion (like the vast majority of my posts) vs. a stated fact. . . .

No secret the odds-on favorite to win the MD gold - Little Laura Walker & Duke Muyres.

Not only because they're unbeaten and already qualified to advance but more their variety of skills.

Walker, after several years of frustration and working with weaker teams is now a legit Top 5 Canadian women's skip - some would even have her 3rd behind Einarson & Homan but I've still got her in 4th or 5th, exceeded by JJ & Kris McCarville. If she could parachute her current 3rd (Kate Cameron) and find herself a Birchard/Lawes/Miskew type she'd be very competitive with the Top 2 for the next several years.

Muyres may have an odd strategical process but in the end he works well with Walker and as a former top skip in SK he makes a ton of hits and now, as a 2nd for Dunstone he's a super strong brusher.

Walker is an unexpectedly tenacious brusher, sort of a hybrid between Kaitlyn Lawes (size) and Jo Courtney (power)

At this point I think only Einarson/Gushue, Jones/Laing, Peterman/Gallant are equipped to take them on.

I suspect your Canadian Mixed D final will feature:
Walker vs. Einarson, even though Brad Gushue seems to be a broken man after bowing out of the Brier and Einarson seems to be using this event to prep for worlds after coming off her incredible squashing of Rachel Homan in 2 straight Scotty finals.

I don't know. Mixed doubles is very hard to call. I dont think there's a favorite. On paper you might say einarson/gushue or sweeting/Kennedy but you can't outbound the experience teams like walker/muyres , peterman/gallant, martin/griffith and Epping/Weagle have together. Then there's the fact that seemingly whoever John Morris curls with does great. Then the dark horse like sahaidak/lott. Also look out for st.georges/asselin and birchard/Schneider if they can somehow squeak in. oh and let's not forget jones/laing who are quietly storming through this field so far.

Its very hard to call and no one really stands out as favorite to me.v8f 8 had to pick a winner right now, just based on all I've seen this week itd be jones/laing

03-23-21 11:16AM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

I don't think you can necessarily count Nancy Martin out either, particularly if they can beat Walker/Muyres later today, which would win her the pool. I mean, they're the last runners up at this thing, and they had to beat Jones/Laing and Shannon Birchard last time to get that far.

That better be the flipping 4:30 game this afternoon.

03-23-21 01:47PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Qtownranger
TSN is still bringing three games today, just later so they can pick up the first playoff round at 8:30 eastern.

Generally agree with your favourites but Morris/Schmieman has a shot too.

Thanks for the quick answer. They prolly promoted this change during their final draw yesterday but I wasn't watching. Should have run a chiron across the screen with notification this a.m. so stoops like me didn't stay for 10 minutes thinking the broadcast was late or had technical issues.

As far as predictions I've laid mine down - Jennifer JJ chose her angle this week, starting like a house on fire. Sometimes she plays the draw, sometimes she goes all out (like the 2013 Olympics). Just don't know if JJ can sustain or make the required pool shots at the end of the day like she used to do with her eyes closed and one hand tied around her back.

Felt sorry for Kaitlyn & The Kid going down again this a.m. I wonder if Kaitlyn will still be able to re-unite with Superstar Morris for the Olympic Trials or Lang & Stoughton will saddle her up with another relative?

03-23-21 02:25PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Thanks for the quick answer. They prolly promoted this change during their final draw yesterday but I wasn't watching. Should have run a chiron across the screen with notification this a.m. so stoops like me didn't stay for 10 minutes thinking the broadcast was late or had technical issues.

As far as predictions I've laid mine down - Jennifer JJ chose her angle this week, starting like a house on fire. Sometimes she plays the draw, sometimes she goes all out (like the 2013 Olympics). Just don't know if JJ can sustain or make the required pool shots at the end of the day like she used to do with her eyes closed and one hand tied around her back.

Felt sorry for Kaitlyn & The Kid going down again this a.m. I wonder if Kaitlyn will still be able to re-unite with Superstar Morris for the Olympic Trials or Lang & Stoughton will saddle her up with another relative?

Shut up with the Kaitlyn rambling.

03-23-21 02:59PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters
I don't think you can necessarily count Nancy Martin out either, particularly if they can beat Walker/Muyres later today, which would win her the pool. I mean, they're the last runners up at this thing, and they had to beat Jones/Laing and Shannon Birchard last time to get that far.

That better be the flipping 4:30 game this afternoon.

They'll he getting the featured game. They heard you ;)

Last edited by MeaghanEdwards on 03-23-21 at 03:04PM

03-23-21 03:58PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
They'll he getting the featured game. They heard you ;-)

edit - I had to add a nose to your smiley so it wouldn't take up the whole screen

:-) Great!

One of my favorite parts of the Scotties this year was the coverage of the Sasketchewan team. At various points when they were covering team Anderson, they would talk about how the team was put together. And they were very polite in how they said it but it always came down to each individual member saying something like "Nancy took me out drinking and I agreed to join the team."

So I have a soft spot for team Martin, as I have to assume I know how the doubles team came together years ago.

Plus, she's not one of the hot shot professionals, but she's on the edge of "good enough to win it." I mean, at a casino she'd be like 30-1. I'd totally put $100 those odds.

03-23-21 04:07PM
Bulls Eye is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bulls Eye Find more posts by Bulls Eye Add Bulls Eye to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bulls Eye
Harvey Hacksmasher

Does anyone know where the teams stand with the LSD? Four teams are already finished at 4-2 but I believe the two with the largest LSD are already eliminated.

03-23-21 04:14PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Bulls Eye
Does anyone know where the teams stand with the LSD? Four teams are already finished at 4-2 but I believe the two with the largest LSD are already eliminated.

https://www.curling.ca/files/2021/03/LSD27.pdf

NL looking good to advance at 4-2 with the best draw total of teams that could finish 4-2

03-23-21 04:18PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Bulls Eye

they're on the curling canada site

but i have taken a look at the lsd and compiled a list of the top 12 in order

Peterman/gallant
Einarson/Gushue
Walker/Muyres
Mitchell/Smith
Meilleur/Nichols
Tran/Sluchinski
Sahaidak/Lott
Birchard/Schneider
Karwacki/Samagalski
Jones/Everist
Jones/Laing
Tuck/Tuck

now, obviously some of these dont matter because some of these teams are out. it boed well for birhcard/schneider if they can win their last game because, based off lsd they'd be one of the next 8 best as would weagle and epping

03-23-21 05:08PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

I'm only using the female's names for ease of typing here.. Here's the situation if Walker wins - based on last stone tiebreak for seeding after head to head breaks pool ties...

If Walker wins...
#1 Walker
#2 Peterman
#3 Jones
#4 Schmeimann

Then the last pool winner
#5 Miskew
And the next 7
#6 Einarson
#7 Sahaidak
**#8 Sweeting
#9 Weagle
#10 Mitchell
#11 Tran
#12 Winner of Karwacki v. Birchard

If Sweeting loses, she moves to the bottom, 9-12 move up one, and depending on Sweeting's draw to the button - it's between her and Njegovan for the last spot.

If Walker loses and Martin wins...

#1 Peterman
#2 Jones
#3-4-5 Jones/Schmeimann/Martin based on the Martin team draw to the button today

And the next 7
#6 Einarson
#7 Walker
#8 Sahaidak
**#9 Sweeting
#10 Weagle
#11 Mitchell
#12 Tran

If Sweeting loses, she's out, 10-12 move up one and the winner of Karwacki v. Birchard is #12

At least, I think that's what I've figured out.

03-23-21 05:20PM
curlingclips
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by cnpeters

So I have a soft spot for team Martin, as I have to assume I know how the doubles team came together years ago.

She briefly talked about her partnership with Griffith in the pre-game interview before a crazy game vs Homan/Morris last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrCoGjnqlJU