Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Canadian Mixed Doubles

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 9 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-19-21 07:05PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

wow. the posts here about kaitlyn curling with her nephew are just..i dont even know. why are we searching for a reason as to why kaitlyn is "stuck" with him?. i guess its occured to no one that she enjoys curling with her nephew

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-19-21 07:07PM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

Why can't TSN simply stream the night games without anouncers. Personally, it would be an upgrade for me. The mistakes and "over Talk" is infuriating!

03-19-21 07:40PM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

For the record, I think that Kaitlyn Lawes curling with her nephew is effing fantastic and I respect the heck out of her for doing it.

I’m not sure how anyone could think otherwise.

03-19-21 10:54PM
guido is online now Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

It’s really too bad that the powers that be made up rules to make sure top curlers got in. Several of these players never had plans of ever playing mixed doubles. But, because of circumstances go to a national championship because of points gained by 4 man curling. Really shaking my head.

03-19-21 11:26PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

I'm enjoying Mudryk and Gauthier way more than Vic/Cheryl/Russ. Russ may as well be announcing a funeral he's so darn serious and Brian and Cathy keep it lighter while still talking curling. After the trials there will be players retiring, try JJones or Gushue out as 3rd announcer with those 2 and send the geezer crew off with a nice retirement party and some watches. They were fine for their time but it's time for new blood.

03-20-21 12:22AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
I'm enjoying Mudryk and Gauthier

You should go back and watch the 2019 & 2020 junior men's finals that they commentated.

In 2019, her nephew Tardi beat her son Jacques. In 2020, her son Jacques won.

03-20-21 09:50AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
I like the mixed, short ends, game moves fast, big ends galore but the lack of variety in the play is a drawback.

Essentially this sport could easily be re-titled:

CANADIAN MIXED DUB HOUSE-STACKING . . . ! ! !

03-20-21 09:57AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
I'm enjoying Mudryk and Gauthier way more than Vic/Cheryl/Russ. Russ may as well be announcing a funeral he's so darn serious and Brian and Cathy keep it lighter while still talking curling. After the trials there will be players retiring, try JJones or Gushue out as 3rd announcer with those 2 and send the geezer crew off with a nice retirement party and some watches. They were fine for their time but it's time for new blood.

Unfortunately, the youngest member of the "Geezer Crew", 55 yr old Cheryl Bernard is prolly the worst offender & has to be offed first. She's far too patronizing & once she learned the so-called "Rules of the Booth" she's unable to express any real opinions or criticisms. She just follows Grandpa Howard like his quisling. Vic is 67 - but lots of guys calling sports in their 60s & 70s. The lead NHL broadcaster on CBC/Sportsnet plus guys like Brent Musburger & Doc Emrich in the USA. Vic can go on as long as health permits. TSN doesn't like rockin' boats unless they face money crunches. Thats why they sacked Jay Onrait's partner but left Onrait intact.

I would bring Jill Officer on in the Rauter role as you need one more host to relieve Mudryk - then consider Kevin Martin as your lead commentator, replacing Russ Howard. Jennifer Jones or a number of others could easily replace Cheryl Bernard. Bernard is the easiest to replace. Rauter may prove to be the most difficult as he seems to have an immunity contract with TSN.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 03-20-21 at 02:16PM

03-20-21 10:21AM
Bmalky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Bmalky Find more posts by Bmalky Add Bmalky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Wow! Have you really listened to the Mixed Doubles telecasts? The mistakes in shot prediction, strategy analysis and shot outcomes are brutal. The "overtalking" while the athletes are speaking with useless info is so frustrating! I I cringe when they start talking!

03-20-21 11:27AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

While some television coverage is better than zippo, TSN has 5 channels in SWO. And 2 were showing the same March Madness game last night.

03-20-21 12:49PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Agree with everyone enjoying Mudryk/Gauthier commentating. Consider them excellent prefer them to the Rauter crew.

03-20-21 02:18PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Agree with everyone enjoying Mudryk/Gauthier commentating. Consider them excellent prefer them to the Rauter crew.

The beauty of the Mudryk/Gauthier crew is there's absolutely NO ROOM for a 3rd man (or woman) in . . .

Both Mudryk & Cathy G. are intense talkie-yakkies, so bringing a 3rd person in would be a terrible idea.

03-20-21 02:24PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Bit upset TSN ain't show Birchard/Schneider vs Sweeting/Kennedy.

Thats a mouth-watering game to be sure but TSN placed Little Laura Walker/Muyres vs. Selena Bunny Rabbit/Carruthers.

The 3 best female shooters in Canada are now 2 skips & a second. Birchard or Homan are the best shooters - give or take w/ Einarson next.

But the matchup would have featured Birchard the 2nd vs. her own 3rd (Val Sweeting). In any event I'm predicting Birchard overpowers Val with her vast array of shot-making skills - far better brusher doesn't hurt either!

03-20-21 10:51PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Lawes and lawes - classy
Posters whining - not so much

03-21-21 11:16AM
cnpeters is offline Click Here to See the Profile for cnpeters Find more posts by cnpeters Add cnpeters to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

I don’t know if there’s a French-Canadian equivalent to “Spanglish” but is this “Franglish?”

Also, is there no team Canada for doubles?

Last edited by cnpeters on 03-21-21 at 12:26PM

03-21-21 01:06PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Swing Artist

Does TSN get better ratings for NCAA basketball than for the Mixed curling? Is the cost of televising a curling draw so great? They can't use 1 of their 6 channels or 1 of their bonus channels (that I've only seen used for tennis) to show evening/night draws?
They could split up Brian and Cathy and have a guest analyst who isn't playing join one of them in the booth each draw and show 4-5 games. I would like to hear a guy like Kennedy in the booth, or JJ or Fry or Miskew.

03-21-21 01:11PM
Gerry is online now Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Does TSN get better ratings for NCAA basketball than for the Mixed curling? Is the cost of televising a curling draw so great?

Yes and yes.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

03-21-21 02:57PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry

Yes and yes.

thats actually depressing to hear as far as the NCAA thing

03-21-21 05:51PM
PSanders is offline Click Here to See the Profile for PSanders Find more posts by PSanders Add PSanders to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PSanders
Harvey Hacksmasher

how to make mix doubles more exciting to watch?

...so I’m sitting in the clubhouse with my buddies after golf and quite a few of them are/were recreational curlers. We got to talking about the mixed doubles and to a man/woman, they found it very boring as the shots were the same all the time and congregated on the button. I explained about the intricacies of angles, drag, slide/release, rotation and directional sweeping, but they didn’t really get it. They had some ideas about making the game more interesting – 1. move the “x” rocks to various places in the house, not always behind the button. 2. move the “x” rock further back from the button to allow room for rock movement and run-back removals. Do you think the world curling federation would be open to changes?
....on a side note, I was happy to see Darren Molding using the dreaded “half-handle” to great effect, although it could have even less rotation. You will have seen this handle at your club – it is the one that turns about half-a-turn and then goes sideways as it comes into the house. It also has to be thrown with about three feet more weight as it grabs as it slows down. Personally, I would like to see our Canadian teams using this as a weapon at the international level.

03-21-21 06:17PM
cnpeters
Hitting Paint

I actually find it quite interesting. Without two monsters carving every shot to precision, there’s a lot more mistake mitigation.

Feels like a different test of skip-skills.

03-21-21 06:26PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

From strictly a team dynamics point of view I really like the Epping - Weagle combination . . .

Lisa is a terrific lead, one of the best ever, if not the #1 girl of all-time but she's been getting coached up like there's no tomorrow from Mr. Epping.

Weagle always fits in to any situation she's placed in. Heck, if she can play for the 2 most ferocious skip-monsters in the history of women's curling (Homan, JJ) she can play with anyone.

Just don't know if she can complete those monster up-weight pool shots to win this thing - where folks like Birchard, Einarson, Sweeting, JJ & Miskew can dish out the heavy metal.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 03-21-21 at 07:03PM

03-21-21 08:18PM
guido is online now Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Does anyone know if the Moulding/ Courtney games will be counted in the standings?
Gallant/ Peterman lost to them. The other 2 teams that they are tied with didn’t play against
M/C yet. Would make huge difference in who goes forward

03-21-21 08:23PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I think the teams yet to play get the win. Not sure about games already played but I would guess they count.

03-21-21 11:45PM
Bmalky
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Does TSN get better ratings for NCAA basketball than for the Mixed curling? Is the cost of televising a curling draw so great? They can't use 1 of their 6 channels or 1 of their bonus channels (that I've only seen used for tennis) to show evening/night draws?
They could split up Brian and Cathy and have a guest analyst who isn't playing join one of them in the booth each draw and show 4-5 games. I would like to hear a guy like Kennedy in the booth, or JJ or Fry or Miskew.

I see Gerry answered yes and yes to your first 2 questions. Another example of how Canadian content on our media is a joke!
Your idea for televising the evening games is an excellent one considering the participants in the event are in a bubble and can't do anything else. Even if they streamed the other draws with no announcers, like the Scots did with earlier bonspiels this year. An announcer gave updates of other scores and certain announcements. The rest of the time one could listen to the players in the featured game.

03-22-21 12:06AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

After further inspection, I'm curious how CC decided 35 teams. Did they think double Scotties and Brier was the number? Or did they do the math and computations to include their "favourites" regardless of points or 1 year or 2 year production? 35 teams? Really? Why not 36, 24 16? It's all about the lure of the Olympic dollar. There's about 8 legit MD teams, and I totally agree with all the provinces and territories, BUT the rest are hand picked by CC. If it's for just this year of Covid that's been an excuse for everything, that's one thing, but to bring in an unnecessary 15 teams because they're popular or based on their 4 person teams is ridiculous. Earn your way playing mixed doubles. I've said it before, CC is 'gifting" teams based on popularity and perceived tv ratings, not earned spots.

Just a small rant. Go Peterman Gallant Go.