Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

Curling Scores

Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Handicapping 2021 Scotties

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 3 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-07-21 12:52PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

It was but I’d hardly call her a deadbeat but CC didn’t handle things well.

As a 5th I would. Obviously Team Homan didn't think they would need a player and just took Bernard to act as extra coach as she had olympic experience.. She only plays skip and would be zero help judging rocks if thrown in at other position and she hadn't been playing at a top level for several years.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-07-21 04:37PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Don't know if there's quite enough votes in the Scotland Curling congress to send Aitken to Worlds.
Even if they do send Ms. Aitken I suspect they'll cut the baby in half - and force Aitken to accept Eve as their 5th player at worlds - to be deployed only if Aitken gets off to a sour start . . . ! ! !

You're probably right but you'd like to think these past events meant something. It does say in the guidelines for how the teams are selected that these events would be used to do that

02-07-21 06:51PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Muirhead
Eve is such a superior player she used to need just a group of semi-polished club curlers to shoot the 1st 3 positions.

However, over time Eve was properly scouted by top opponents. They realized they had to tie up ends early while the lesser girls were shooting. Once done, they left Eve with incredibly difficult raises or in-offs, eventually Eve would miss and Scotland would go down.

Might be better to lessen their reliance on Eve and let new blood into the arena - even if they get a bit bloodied their first time out. Only learn by playing.

02-07-21 09:25PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

You're probably right but you'd like to think these past events meant something. It does say in the guidelines for how the teams are selected that these events would be used to do that

Same thing happened a couple years ago. A young ladies team, and I do apologize I forget their names, beat Muirhead in the finals. That same young team was also representing Scotland at the World University games the same year, I think 2 weeks prior to worlds. The geniuses at the Royal curling ass(ociation) deemed that seeing as the young team had already committed the the university games that they would "gift" a free pass to Muirhead to the worlds, even though they lost the finals. After OUTRAGE from the Scottish curlers and sponsors and supporters, they succumbed and allowed the "real" winners go to the worlds.

In Canadian terms, this would be the same as if the young Zacahrias wins the Scotties but CC butts in and says no we'll send Team Einarson because she's the highest ranked. I'd like to believe that never happen in Canada.

02-07-21 09:30PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

yeah, I remember that. that young lady was sophie jackson. sophie is retired and her old front end curls for gina aitken now

02-07-21 09:59PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
yeah, I remember that. that young lady was sophie jackson. sophie is retired and her old front end curls for gina aitken now

You've made me feel bad on behalf of Sophie Jackson!

02-08-21 09:28AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

The cancellation of the worlds will put more pressure on the Scots to send a seasoned team to the Olympics.

02-08-21 09:38AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by decade
The cancellation of the worlds will put more pressure on the Scots to send a seasoned team to the Olympics.

im still thinking that there will be some kind of event in the fall. there has to be some way of qualifying them.

ofcourse if tehre hand is forced and they have to use just last year then the 9 would be

sweden
south korea
switzerland
russia
japan
united states
canada
germany
scotland

scotland would JUST get in. if they were to take 2018 into consideration czech republic might actually edge them out

02-09-21 12:57PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Hitting Paint

Scotland is stuck in the past. Anyone who doesn't have a clear route to the worlds or olympics--win this and you're in--is making a mistake. You can't have some select group picking entries (or foisting players onto the team like CC does as well). They had some competitive men's teams at world's in the past and after a rough start started switching lineup around apparently without the player's input.
What kind of message are you sending to younger teams? Beat everyone and we still might send the team you beat because they have experience?

02-10-21 11:35AM
c_anabranch is offline Click Here to See the Profile for c_anabranch Find more posts by c_anabranch Add c_anabranch to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
c_anabranch
Harvey Hacksmasher

Team Changes

Some interesting last minute changes. Team Beth Peterson have had to replace lead Melissa Gordon. Brittany Tran from Alberta is stepping in for her. She is a past Canadian junior champ with Jocelyn Peterman. She played the 2019 Scotties with Team Galusha. She is part of Alberta's mixed doubles team.

Nadine Scotland with Team Walker announced yesterday she was pregnant and decided not to enter the bubble. Replacing her at lead is Rachelle Brown. Dana Ferguson will be the alternate. Pretty nice veteran additions.

02-10-21 01:04PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Team Changes

quote:
Originally posted by c_anabranch
Some interesting last minute changes. Team Beth Peterson have had to replace lead Melissa Gordon. Brittany Tran from Alberta is stepping in for her. She is a past Canadian junior champ with Jocelyn Peterman. She played the 2019 Scotties with Team Galusha. She is part of Alberta's mixed doubles team.

Nadine Scotland with Team Walker announced yesterday she was pregnant and decided not to enter the bubble. Replacing her at lead is Rachelle Brown. Dana Ferguson will be the alternate. Pretty nice veteran additions.

Walker just upgraded big-time!

Rachelle Brown & Dana Ferguson are on of the greatest front ends in recent women's curling history.

Obviously the #1 & #2 front ends are:

- Wilkes & Courtney (Team Homan)
- Birchard & Meilleur (Team Einarson)

Brown & Ferguson aren't 90% shooters but they're always in the game, great positive attitude, above average brushers. Too many positives to ignore!

PS. I would still put Officer & McEwen (Askin) ahead of the two I currently have at 1+2 but not by much . . . ! ! !

02-11-21 09:34AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Really sucks that Melissa Gordon had to pull herself out of the Alberta bubble for Team Beth Peterson.

Its a personal decision as she obviously feared loss of job with the extended 27 day bubble (including pre & post-event buffer quarantine). Wouldn't mind knowing the name of Gordon's employer - what kind of heart have they?

Anyways, seems like the biggest downer for Peterson but on a positive note Brittney Tran is a well-trained & resourceful front-ender. Having a new player on the roster might kick Peterson in the butt and remove the lethargy she's been operating in for the last couple years. Good young team but can't quite get over the top against the better teams.

That said, Peterson's team does not lack for youthful enthusiasm, athleticism, skill + training. Evidently, Skip Beth is a bigger screamer than Jennifer Jones. Major problem is Peterson and her 3rd Jenna Loder just don't make as many shots as their higher-ranked opponents (ie. Homan, Jones, Einarson, Walker, Schiedegger, etc.)

If Kaitlyn Lawes somehow obtains her freedom from JJ in next year or so expect Kaitlyn to draw upon at least one, perhaps two members of Team Petey to form her new squad should she remain Manitoba-based.

If Lawes goes national - that idea is probably off. More name curlers available than you could shake a stick at.

02-11-21 12:58PM
hogged again
Hitting Paint

quote:

If Kaitlyn Lawes somehow obtains her freedom from JJ in next year or so expect Kaitlyn to draw upon at least one, perhaps two members of Team Petey to form her new squad should she remain Manitoba-based.

If Lawes goes national - that idea is probably off. More name curlers available than you could shake a stick at.

They will stick together for olympic trials next year. Even if Jones doesn't retire and wants to pull a Sherry Anderson and keep on keepin on I think Lawes will look elsewhere for better opportunities. I don't see her as a skip but she will have a ton of asks to play 3rd.

02-11-21 01:46PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

They will stick together for olympic trials next year. Even if Jones doesn't retire and wants to pull a Sherry Anderson and keep on keepin on I think Lawes will look elsewhere for better opportunities. I don't see her as a skip but she will have a ton of asks to play 3rd.

Great point about the Oly Trials. JJ will try to keep things together, even at 48 she's full of spit 'n vinegar and my o my all that experience. Still an amazing player, despite obviously declining shooting percentages.

Also wonder how long one of Canada's greatest players can be held back as a front-ender?
Her name = Shannon Birchard.
Birchard w/ Lawes at 3rd might be a force. Katherine Doerksen at 2nd, Lee Weagle or Bree Meilleur at lead.

02-11-21 05:41PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Hardly think she's being 'held

back', but to a large extent I

suspect it will depend if Einarson

wins the Canadian championship

again this year.

02-11-21 08:47PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i dont know, i can see kaitlyn skipping again once her time with jenniffer is done. she was a very successful skip in juniors

02-11-21 08:57PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
i dont know, i can see kaitlyn skipping again once her time with jenniffer is done. she was a very successful skip in juniors

I agree. Kaitlyn won Olympic gold skipping John Morris in mixed doubles. She made a ton of key shots and worked well with a troublesome personality like Johnny Mo.

However, if it came down to 33 yr old Kaitlyn or 27 yr old Shannon Birchard I'd try Birchard every day of the week - with Lawes remaining as the resilient and shot-productive 3rd.

But if Birchard wins another Scotties front-ending for Einarson - I think thats makes them the favorite going into Canada's Olympic Trials - even over Homan, definitely over Jones and all other current comers.

My fantasy Kaitlyn Lawes all-star team would be:

Skip - Shannon Birchard
3rd - Kaitlyn Lawes
2nd - Sarah Wilkes
Lead - Joanne Courtney

Unfortunately I don't see that team coming together unless Rachel Homan suddenly decides to retire at 32/33 and Jones lets Lawes out of her contract.

02-12-21 11:03AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

I agree. Kaitlyn won Olympic gold skipping John Morris in mixed doubles. She made a ton of key shots and worked well with a troublesome personality like Johnny Mo.

However, if it came down to 33 yr old Kaitlyn or 27 yr old Shannon Birchard I'd try Birchard every day of the week - with Lawes remaining as the resilient and shot-productive 3rd.

But if Birchard wins another Scotties front-ending for Einarson - I think thats makes them the favorite going into Canada's Olympic Trials - even over Homan, definitely over Jones and all other current comers.

My fantasy Kaitlyn Lawes all-star team would be:

Skip - Shannon Birchard
3rd - Kaitlyn Lawes
2nd - Sarah Wilkes
Lead - Joanne Courtney

Unfortunately I don't see that team coming together unless Rachel Homan suddenly decides to retire at 32/33 and Jones lets Lawes out of her contract.

I agree I see Shannon returning to skipping once her time with kerri is up however long that may be. Think her and Kaitlyn on the same team could be a powerhouse but I don't see it ever happening

02-19-21 01:46PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Einarson vs. Zacharias

Should be the obvious feature game for TSN tonite. Not only is Einarson the defending Canadian champion - she's one of the highest ranked ladies teams in the world.
Zacharias is a world champion junior skip and her 3rd, Karlee Burgess has scored 3 world championship rings, one with legendary Dr. Mary Fay.

But you never know - TSN tall foreheads are quite capable of over-thinking the situation - - - but its kinda tough to do that because neither of the so-called HEAVY TV FAVORITES, JJ Jones nor Rachel Homan are on the draw.

Comparisons - Einarson obviously has a vast experience edge over Zacharias but the Altona lasie will hang tough - she'll open a lot of eyes, mostly for her clutch shot-making but also her veteran like strategy. If she falls behind by 1 or 2 without hammer she won't throw caution to the wind like JJ always does. She'll just stick to Einarson and wait for misses.

NB. She might not get the misses she expects.

Front end - huge edge to Team Einarson. Meilleur & Birchard are the best of the best. And that should make life a bit easier for Einarson 3rd Val Sweeting in her 3rds battle with 3-time world champion Karlee Burgess. If Burgess can't extricate Zacharias from early end trouble then watch for an Einarson pull-away from The Little Rascals.

02-19-21 01:58PM
hogged again
Hitting Paint

Curling returns and the Jets game is on, gonna be a decent lockdown Friday for once.

02-19-21 02:06PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Savvy curlers would probably agree that an All-Star team consisting of Courtney, Wilkes and Lawes would present a very formidable challenge every time they stepped onto the ice.

But to select Birchard as Their Skip, a curler who has yet to prove she can compete as a Skip - above the Junior level - is more than questionable, even meritless.

02-19-21 02:17PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
Savvy curlers would probably agree that an All-Star team consisting of Courtney, Wilkes and Lawes would present a very formidable challenge every time they stepped onto the ice.

But to select Birchard as Their Skip, a curler who has yet to prove she can compete as a Skip - above the Junior level - is more than questionable, even meritless.

Birchard was a proven skip in juniors and during 3 strong years as a Manitoba ladies contender - even if she had rather mediocre teams under her control. Helping JJ win her 6th Scotties has to be her major accomplishment to date, and that enabled JJ to shake off major gremlins by coasting to a 2nd world title.

Birchard is prolly worth a shot - Courtney is not a skip to be sure, she's a massive muscle girl who can shot well above average percentages at lead or 2nd. Wilkes was a decent 3rd for Chelsea Carey but no real indicators of skipping potential. Kaitlyn could perhaps assume the mantle of skip if this super-team was ever assembled but Kaitlyn is a proven all-star 3rd. Why change at 32?
Birchard deserves her shot. But like most say - she won't get it until she's 28 or 29 as Jones will hold Lawes, Dawn & Weagle to their contracts until the Olympic Trial cycle completes. Same with Rachel and her charges - Emma, Courtney & Wilkes.

02-19-21 03:16PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer

I'm not sure this combo would work. You either have to have 3 living in the same province or born in the same province with one import allowed. Someone would have to move from MB to AB or AB to MB to meet the requirements. Or am I missing something?

02-19-21 06:57PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I really think Zacharias drawing The Defender (Einarson) in her first draw is a very good thing - even if she goes down!

Einarson has quietly built an amazing and wonderfully powerful team. While Rachel Homan is equally powerful, the Ottawa 4 are so laser-focused on end-after-end shot-pelting Einarson is more of a game crafter who takes the odd risk and more often than not is rewarded for such.

Team Homan too easily gets caught on auto-pilot . . . .Jo Courtney was brought on board to snap them out of it with her avid aggression but Courtney, too gets caught up in the shot-pelting.

Team RH didn't know what hit them when Einarson came out like a house on fire in last year's golden game. By the time they found themselves 3 or 4 pts down it was almost too late. Yes, Homan rallied _
& made 24 consecutive perfect shots in the last 3 ends, forcing Einarson to bite the button in a tension-packed extra end. . . . which she did.

Zacharias is better off playing a shot-crafter like Einarson than a shot-pelter like Homan for various reasons. Don't know if Zacharias could hang with shot-pelting Rachel (especially if Rachel is ON) but she might have a slightly better chance to gauge her wares vs. Einarson. The Little Rascals are out of their leagues vs. both Einarson & Homan's front ends but Karlee Burgess might be able to turn things around if Val isn't quite tuned in.

Regardless, should be a good game to get things started and give us our curling back!!!

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 02-19-21 at 07:05PM

02-20-21 11:11AM
Deliverer
Swing Artist

Wilkes as been residing in

Alberta for 10 years or so and

Courtney just about forever.

So all that needs to be done is

for Lawes to upgrade her

standards and move to AB

leaving Birchard, the import,

back in the 'Peg' to enjoy all

that balmy weather. lol