Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Curling Canada Aims To Hold Series Of Events In Hub City

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
12-03-20 07:33PM
alex is offline Click Here to See the Profile for alex Click here to Send alex a Private Message Find more posts by alex Add alex to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alex
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
there's no reason that, now that teams know dates they cant plan to come earlier and do that 2 week quarantine

Except a lot of the players work. Would eliminate them.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-03-20 09:56PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Grand Slam may hold two events in the "bubble"

https://thegrandslamofcurling.com/g...curling-bubble/

12-04-20 03:06PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by alex

How many of them work from home? And if they can work from home, why couldn't they work from the hotel? So, it might not be as much as one would think.

12-04-20 03:20PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by UnattachedFC

How many of them work from home? And if they can work from home, why couldn't they work from the hotel? So, it might not be as much as one would think.

Guess Old Glenny could run the Beer Store from the hotel - should he be able to topple The Almighty John Epping in a rag-tag provincials . . . ? ? ?

12-04-20 04:09PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by alex

yeah, thats true. but they're going to need to negotiate time off from work as it is.

12-04-20 05:02PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Guess Old Glenny could run the Beer Store from the hotel - should he be able to topple The Almighty John Epping in a rag-tag provincials . . . ? ? ?

Glen is retired! So he can go anywhere anytime

12-05-20 09:52PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Got a good chuckle out of today's 2015 Grand Slam replays. Einarson (old team w/ Selena, etc.) vegetabled Chantal Eberle w/ Amber Holland at skip but the real fun was watching the human machine-gun Rachel Homan squander a 3 pt lead and cuff her last rock (come around tap for the win that she under-threw and it curled by the shot stone and a few inches too far so that Tiny Tirinzoni stole a deuce in 8 for a 6-5 win.
Rachel did NOT get mean after it was obvious she missed the rock and it curled over to give Tirinzoni the W.

Major disappointment for Courtney as she brushed the beejeebers out of Rachel's fatally flawed last stone - she refused to give up on the losing stone even when it was obvious the rock was veering off line. Even Emma went vicious on short strokes as she tried to defy the obvious outcome. In the end Rachel alone showed some humanity as she kinda laughed off the outcome of her final stone.

Never seen Tirinzoni's group that jubilant. Normally, they're grim-faced automatons - but when Rachel missed her final stone - it was like the stroke of midnite, New Years Eve in Times Square . , . ! ! !

12-06-20 06:44PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i appreciate sportsnet showing games from up to 5years ago. it seems like TSN has a short memory. they've basically showed the same 5 games over and over again

the scotties finals and briers finals of the last 2 years and 2018 womens worlds final

i mean, i know TSN only fairly recently took curling over but they could go as far back as 2008 if they wanted to . they just dont seem to want to for some reason

12-07-20 09:36AM
RMc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RMc Click here to Send RMc a Private Message Find more posts by RMc Add RMc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RMc
Knee-Slider

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i appreciate sportsnet showing games from up to 5years ago. it seems like TSN has a short memory. they've basically showed the same 5 games over and over again

the scotties finals and briers finals of the last 2 years and 2018 womens worlds final

i mean, i know TSN only fairly recently took curling over but they could go as far back as 2008 if they wanted to . they just dont seem to want to for some reason

I too wish there was a little more variety in what they are showing during this time of no live curling. There are a couple of Youtube Channels with plenty of old games that I've been diving into to supplement my curling addiction. I've recently been watching old TSN Skins games and it's amazing to see how much the game really has changed yet how much is still the very same.

As for the topic at hand, as an aspiring Brier participant in a "have-not" curling province, I can assure you most competitive curlers want this to happen. Calgary was an obvious/easy choice despite the rising cases, as it's likely one of the only provinces that would allow it and is "Central" to what Curling Canada deems as it's base. I think you'd be hard pressed to find many competitive curlers that aren't excited about this and think it can be pulled off safely and effectively. The info we've received from our MA and Curling Canada is promising and I think most players would jump at taking off 3-4 weeks for an opportunity to play in what may be the most memorable Brier of all time, for unfortunate reasons. What's more unfortunate is that many great teams will not have the opportunity to play down to get into this event, but that's the least of bad things Covid has brought to our world.

Bring on the Bubble!

12-08-20 04:03PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Penalties for curlers stepping outside the "bubble"

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...eroux-1.5832584

12-08-20 08:47PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

with alberta amping up restrictions its entirely possible that this is all shut down . id say its a distinct possibility now

wouldnt that be something

12-08-20 08:51PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Jacobs gets a bye into the maybe brier*

12-08-20 10:17PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
Penalties for curlers stepping outside the "bubble"

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...eroux-1.5832584

I'd be curious if all the CC red coats are STILL flying in and going into quarantine, then come and go from all the draws and slop up the gravy at the bubble hotel. In these "Trying times" and zero paying fans, will CC saunter up to the trough, or, for fiscal responsibility stay the blazes home. Things that make you say hmmm. Time will tell.

12-09-20 09:22PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

For $165 there are 500 seats available that you can buy at brier and scottie and they will put a blowup faceshot of you

ANOTHER $25 and they will mail the pic to you at the end of events

Im investing $400

Wife is shy so im gonna sit beside trumps picture

12-09-20 09:43PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i mean , its not a bad idea but the price is absurd.

i dont have 165 dollars to throw away on a piece of cardboard

12-10-20 04:27PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

MIsty, I agree too expensive. It is generating funds for the foundation. I am assuming this is not the Shmirler Foundation who would be losing a lot of money if the telethon does not happen.
Tape a picture of your head to your television when the game is on and then take another pic. Much cheaper.

12-10-20 09:08PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

1% of curlers are big spenders

To qualify as big spender you have to have bot a weeks package to brier or scott

Assuming 1 mil fans watch tsn or rsn cbc

10,000 big spenders

60, 000 belong to a club $300 per year - prob 5000 are big spenders

935,000 Are. Carefull*

* cheapskates

12-11-20 03:36PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
1% of curlers are big spenders

To qualify as big spender you have to have bot a weeks package to brier or scott

Assuming 1 mil fans watch tsn or rsn cbc

10,000 big spenders

60, 000 belong to a club $300 per year - prob 5000 are big spenders

935,000 Are. Carefull*

$300 per year? Our dues haven't been that low for 20 years.

* cheapskates

12-11-20 06:39PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Granite in Winnipeg starts at $150 weekdays to $330 5:45 weekdays

9 sheets , cafeteria with excellent french fries and chocolate sundaes for 65 years, 12’ pool tables , terrific dining room

1 block from gwl and legislature

12-11-20 08:39PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

yes, i get it.

however its still absurd to charge that much for a piece of cardboard then try and make it sound like the money is going to a good cause. why does it have to be so much. they could do the same thing for half the cost

12-12-20 05:07PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Buy not buying a piece of cardboard does not prove your cheap. It proves your smart. Nobody in their right mind would buy one. Now if they made it a 50/50 draw, at least you would have a chance at winning something. Still a big gamble to get NOTHING for your money.

12-12-20 08:31PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Like i said ...... cheap cheap cheap .. lol

12-12-20 10:04PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I actually think several 100 folks will purchase cardboard cut-outs to be used as audience replacements.

Why?

#1 - its really not that expensive, in the scheme of things, CCA will take the e-mailed pics and create the materials in their print shop for use during broadcasts.

#2 - Excellent advertising. Might even have to limit the # of cut-outs as guys like Arnie Asham will see this strictly as an advertising opportunity, Very cheap I might add.

#3 - In addition to advertising, old CCA guard like Resby Coutts will purchase these as self-gratification, whispering his innuendos into innocent champion curlers ears (female)

#4 - Political publicity. Premiers and sitting MPs (Parliament) will chump change in to get some political mileage out of the deal

#5 - Covid remembarances. What better way to recognize our fallen covid warriors and curling fans by taking out a cardboard cut-out of the fallen curling fan. I rather think this is a grand idea.

#6 - in conjunction with #5, a few cut-outs of front-line doctors, nurses, care-givers that deserve more recognition than anyone, including me.

12-13-20 05:56AM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

You forgot the wavers - those that buy tickets to beon tv

Generally low iq types that wave as soon as they see themselves on the jumbo - they dont realize that as soon as they wave the director cuts to another camera - had they just ignored the camera or picked their nose they would be on for 5 more seconds

12-13-20 08:53AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
I actually think several 100 folks will purchase cardboard cut-outs to be used as audience replacements.

Why?

#1 - its really not that expensive, in the scheme of things, CCA will take the e-mailed pics and create the materials in their print shop for use during broadcasts.

#2 - Excellent advertising. Might even have to limit the # of cut-outs as guys like Arnie Asham will see this strictly as an advertising opportunity, Very cheap I might add.

#3 - In addition to advertising, old CCA guard like Resby Coutts will purchase these as self-gratification, whispering his innuendos into innocent champion curlers ears (female)

#4 - Political publicity. Premiers and sitting MPs (Parliament) will chump change in to get some political mileage out of the deal

#5 - Covid remembarances. What better way to recognize our fallen covid warriors and curling fans by taking out a cardboard cut-out of the fallen curling fan. I rather think this is a grand idea.

#6 - in conjunction with #5, a few cut-outs of front-line doctors, nurses, care-givers that deserve more recognition than anyone, including me.

for what they are giving it is actually very expensive. its a piece of cardboard. thats ridiculous.

i have no doubt they wont have trouble finding people willing to throw away this money. sports fans are, more than most seemingly willing to piss money away even if they cant really afford it