Plett Final
Booth (8)
: Red Deer Servus U18 Men
Red Deer, AB
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: CF -- Sun, Oct 18 -- 1:00pm MT
Whittmire 10  Final
Burton (7)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Stu Sells - Weagle in w/ Jones

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
10-01-20 07:02PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Stu Sells - Weagle in w/ Jones

First major duty for Rachel Homan's latest cast-off Lisa "Lee" Weagle as she's opening up at lead w/ Peterman at 2nd, Lawes @ 3rd w/ JJ skipping.

Like most of Jones' new adds over the last 20-22 yrs I would expect Lee to struggle a bit in her opening matches. Homan might be a mean girl but she sure knew how to ice Lee so that Lee was a consistent 85-90% lead. Jones is notorious for needing time to figure out new players style, throwing pattern, tendencies, etc.

I would expect Lee to be in the 75-82% range (or lower) during their first couple matches - Jones is coming off an unbeaten tour de force in the mixed pairs w/ Hubby Laing so I expect her to cool down some.

That said, not a strong field whatsoever. I fully expect Jones to somehow wheedle way to the playoffs.

In Jones words - the object of the exercise is to set yourself up for the bigger events. This is small-fry, basically training camp.

But it sure will be something to see Lee Weagle patrolling the ice lanes with JJ, Kaitlyn & Joss.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

10-02-20 12:02AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

A better explanation is they have 2 living in Ontario and only want 2 crossing covid lines....with McEwen with young kids not willing to risk the exposure that Ontario has on her kids? Will there be 14 days self isolation in each direction, I think not, and the pandemic continues. WTF.

10-02-20 11:14AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Well 14-0 for Jones...a light workout for this team this morning.

10-02-20 04:30PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad
Well 14-0 for Jones...a light workout for this team this morning.

Who ever woulda thunk JJ enters a "Fawn Spiel" . . . ? ? ?

10-02-20 04:37PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

A fawn spiel is better than no spiel!

10-02-20 08:24PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Who ever woulda thunk JJ enters a "Fawn Spiel" . . . ? ? ?

And no similar comment about Team Jacobs??

10-03-20 08:28AM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

I watched part of the Jacobs/Steep game last night and was surprised how many curlers were not wearing masks when throwing or sweeping. What is the use of having rules if they are not enforced. I also watched adjacent games where the same was occurring.

10-03-20 08:55AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Well looks like a “fawn” beat Jones last night...but Susan Froud is pretty experienced.

10-03-20 11:19AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Well looks like a “fawn” beat Jones last night...but Susan Froud is pretty experienced.

If she plays enough games JJ will invariably lose any number of games - its basically the state of her declining game. Too many misses, bad calls, sweeping blunders, etc.

When Jones ruled the world she'd lose 1 out of 50 games to inexperienced, lesser teams.

Nowadays, at 46 with 6 Scotties, 2 worlds & Olympic Gold under her belt it prolly happens 3 or 4 out of 10 games.

10-04-20 11:41AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Well looks like Jones got her revenge on Froud...winning 10-0 in the SF

10-04-20 06:16PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

And now the remainder of this event has been cancelled due to covid.

Ok folks, seriously. Last year a person died from contracting covid at a bonspiel in the prairies. Now we have the second wave hitting harder than last spring. Case counts and deaths are on the rise...AGAIN.

You won't like it. I won't like it. But the simple truth is we need to stop pretending that we can tweak the game and play like nothing happened. The WCT, WCF and the CCA need to do tge right thing: cancel the entire season until there is a vaccine.

And they need to do it NOW. Not next week, not if Trump recovers. NOW. Before anyone else gets this, becomes seriously ill snd dies.

Doing anything else is insanity. Possibly even criminal negligence. It's a game people. And no matter how much we love it, one million stones thrown brilliantly are not more important than a single human life.

Last edited by jamcan on 10-04-20 at 06:19PM

10-04-20 06:39PM
dks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dks Click here to Send dks a Private Message Find more posts by dks Add dks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dks
Hitting Paint

I personally think curling can operate safely IF the players follow the guidelines outlined by various sport organizations. Watching part of the men’s games it was obvious that several players were not following the guidelines of CurlOn or Curl Canada. If we want to play, we have to do what the guidelines suggest. So don’t throw without your mask on, cover your nose with the mask and don’t let it hang down on your chin like a hammock. I don’t know what the rules are for the event, but, why have the second brusher follow along the player brushing? Stay in the designated area along the sidelines.

10-04-20 08:48PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Comments on the previous 2 replies. I agree with both. You wouldn't have a so called 2nd wave if the provinces took the first wave more seriously, much much earlier, AND try to reopen while you're still having hundreds of cases a day, not week, not month not year to date.
As far as the spiel being cancelled, did ALL involved follow the rules and regulations? Last week in NS Lakeshore spiel had all players show up dressed to play with shoes in hand and locker rooms closed except for bathrooms. Zero spectators allowed. Draws 4 hours apart to allow cleaning.

Did this spiel follow these rules?

Did the infected come forward? Will all those in contact with the infected self isolate 14 days when they get home.? Many of these answers will be no. And why?

10-05-20 02:21AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Did the infected come forward?

The latest news was that no participant was confirmed to test positive. It was a contact tracing app that informed one of the participants that someone they had contact with tested positive.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...erloo-1.5750016

"While no player has tested positive, we did receive an alert on their COVID Alert app, that they had been in contact with a positive case. Under protocols, this player will self-isolate, and the entire team will receive a test to ensure there was no spread."

Last edited by curlingclips on 10-05-20 at 02:26AM

10-05-20 01:15PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Most modern day curlers are trained to be indifferent and cavalier to outside threats - thus their feeble treatment of The Virus. . . ! ! !

Not many curlers in today's era would be circumspect & paranoid. I can only think of a handful - Ed Werenich, Wayne Middaugh, Myself, Heather Nedohin, Crystal Rumberg.

10-05-20 10:20PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Hitting Paint

Jones won the women's tournament, by the way. It was complicated because women's teams didn't interact with men's teams or something close to that.

The one thing that is interesting seeing the cancellation of the men's event because someone was close to another person who contracted the virus. So, any curling bonspiel will have a hard time to go on.

Team Homan already said that they're not going to the next StuSells event. I wonder if they could play the bonspiel season in Alberta since it's probably easier for them to go there than to play events in Ontario.

10-05-20 11:13PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by UnattachedFC
Jones won the women's tournament, by the way. It was complicated because women's teams didn't interact with men's teams or something close to that.

The one thing that is interesting seeing the cancellation of the men's event because someone was close to another person who contracted the virus. So, any curling bonspiel will have a hard time to go on.

Team Homan already said that they're not going to the next StuSells event. I wonder if they could play the bonspiel season in Alberta since it's probably easier for them to go there than to play events in Ontario.

Doesn't really matter - but where does Emma Miskew reside?

If Rachel is still in Alberta then most of her team are Alberta by geography - Sarah, Courtney are original albertans.

10-06-20 10:57AM
Runback is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Runback Click here to Send Runback a Private Message Find more posts by Runback Add Runback to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Runback
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Doesn't really matter - but where does Emma Miskew reside?

If Rachel is still in Alberta then most of her team are Alberta by geography - Sarah, Courtney are original albertans.

Emma lives in Ottawa. Rachel and Sarah are originally from Ontario.

10-06-20 10:22PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by dks
I personally think curling can operate safely IF the players follow the guidelines outlined by various sport organizations. Watching part of the men’s games it was obvious that several players were not following the guidelines of CurlOn or Curl Canada. If we want to play, we have to do what the guidelines suggest. So don’t throw without your mask on, cover your nose with the mask and don’t let it hang down on your chin like a hammock. I don’t know what the rules are for the event, but, why have the second brusher follow along the player brushing? Stay in the designated area along the sidelines.

Yep, I saw several male players not wearing masks but those scarves that you pull up over your face. Organizers need to put in pandemic protocols & make everyone follow them including wearing a mask

10-07-20 09:05AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Yep, I saw several male players not wearing masks but those scarves that you pull up over your face. Organizers need to put in pandemic protocols & make everyone follow them including wearing a mask

Real medical masks can restrict oxygen supply. For furious, massive brushers thats a problem.
Rule - if you don't wear, you don't sweep. Opponents have choice of declaring a rock burned that's been swept by a maskless horseman . . . ! ! !

10-08-20 02:28AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Swing Artist

Latest news is that the person who received the alert that cancelled the rest of the men's event is someone from Team Howard.

https://www.tsn.ca/player-on-team-h...ation-1.1535369

That person has tested negative for now.

10-09-20 07:40PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Looks like Jones is curling 3 no sign of Kaitlyn...

10-09-20 07:58PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

Yes Kaitlyn had to withdraw for a personal issue

10-12-20 11:40PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

T

Tough loss for JJ Jones tonite in event final. Only had a 3-man team w/ Joss & Lee Weagle tossing 6 rocks an end.

Not to worry - Jones lost to a super high calibre squad in Lauren Mann so the fact JJ was squashed 7-1 in only 6 ends means very little.

Lauren Mann now the odds-on favorite to win the Ontario Scotties after vanquishing the legendary Jones in such short order . . > > >

10-13-20 07:41AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Congratulations to Team Mann, now Homan might have some competition but...it is quite obvious how important Kaitlyn is to team Jones!