Auld Final
Froud (7)
Kiemele Final
Wallingford (8)
Curtis Final
Murphy 12  (7)
Warriner Final
Deschenes (8)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Curling on TV During This HIatus

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 4 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-06-20 09:57AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I think the best fade-outs for the great competitive curlers:

1. Jeff Stoughton - always played with dignity & confidence to the end

2. Rick Folk - his best days were in Sask'n; when he bolted to BC I didn't watch him much

3. Connie Laliberte - most will say she was a broken curler when the FGZ arrived. But she was still fairly competitive and always put up a valiant fight.

4. Shannon Kleibrink - for a non-Scotties winner she was the best, the very best. Played about 2 or 3 yrs past her prime where she didn't look very good.

5. Ron Northcott - 3 Brier wins in 4 years; then kinda disappeared. Exit stage right.

6. Sandra Schmirler - remained a true monster of the game, right up to the fateful end. If she had lived - I could see Sandra easily having 5 to 7 STOH's under her belt.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-14-20 09:16PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Sunday evening games coming up:

https://www.tsn.ca/curling-encore-s...edule-1.1466181

04-15-20 03:25AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

^ Thanks for the schedule...
But I sure wish they'd go back more than 10 years. TSN has stuff in their vault - from their own broadcasts - from much further back than that.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

04-15-20 08:01AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Thanks for this information. Something to look forward to. Keep well, keep safe.

04-15-20 05:10PM
Curlwalker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Curlwalker Find more posts by Curlwalker Add Curlwalker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Curlwalker
Harvey Hacksmasher

Cancelling ten

I'm with Bell..I talked to them about some discount for the current lack of sports broadcasting but they are not interested so I am going to cancel (TSN and Sportsnet) cost upwards of $25 per month. Seems strange to be cutting back on tv channels at this time but seems like a waste of money to keep paying

Last edited by Curlwalker on 04-15-20 at 05:22PM

04-15-20 06:44PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Cancelling ten

quote:
Originally posted by Curlwalker
I'm with Bell..I talked to them about some discount for the current lack of sports broadcasting but they are not interested so I am going to cancel (TSN and Sportsnet) cost upwards of $25 per month. Seems strange to be cutting back on tv channels at this time but seems like a waste of money to keep paying

I cancelled my TSN assortment about 3 days into the Covid19 - - - switched to Hollywood Suite...wonderful restorations of old films. Today, I saw The Entertainer from 1950 with Laurence Olivier.
Tonite - the completely restored version of Gone With the Wind is on.

About 3 or 4 channels on this Shaw grid . . . . From Here to Eternity with Sinatra & Burt Lancaster and Fatso Borgnine was on last nite (FANTASTIC)

04-15-20 06:46PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Re: Cancelling ten

quote:
Originally posted by Curlwalker

I've been in touch with my cable provider. eastlink. The CEO sent a message to all yada yada we're doing what we can in these tough times........ to which I replied nice to have 30 useless trial channels, but how about boosting the broadband signal for ALL. So many people at home streaming Netflix etc that cable internet at times is like the old aol dial up
No reply yet.

Signed, bitter at home.

04-15-20 10:57PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Re: Cancelling ten

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

I've been in touch with my cable provider. eastlink. The CEO sent a message to all yada yada we're doing what we can in these tough times........ to which I replied nice to have 30 useless trial channels, but how about boosting the broadband signal for ALL. So many people at home streaming Netflix etc that cable internet at times is like the old aol dial up
No reply yet.

Signed, bitter at home.

Cable companies sell e-mail and other such services - they rarely use it themselves - OTHER THAN FOR BILLING PURPOSES.

If you're just a $100 to $200 a month mope with hi-speed (not) cable, a package of TV channels that somehow fails to include the best ones (HBO, Cinemax, Netflix, etc.) they really don't care where you go. The competitor is about the same price - or higher.

Now, if you were a $20,000 to $30,000 business or government user - THEY'D BE ON YOU LIKE A DOG ON A BONE.

04-19-20 05:51PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

What a great game just replayed on tsn. 2009 in their prime Martin and Howard toe to toe to an extra end last shot.

04-20-20 02:47AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Swing Artist

And then it was the infamous "I'm going to throw it away" from Martin in the last end of the 2009 World Championship vs. Scotland's Murdoch.
It's nice to re-live these games... but in 2009, the game was pretty close to what it is today.

I still want to see games from when it was different... I want them to go back further - back to the '80s... or at least the '90s.... Let's see games that were played differently than today's games - because the rules were different, the equipment was different, the fitness levels were different...
Let's see Russ at his best, and the Wrench, and Hemmings hamming it up at the Brier...

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 04-20-20 at 02:50AM

04-20-20 10:26AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

From approx. 1980 to today I would rank teams for entertainment value as follows:

(this is a group ranking so #1 means the same as #12)

1. Jennifer Jones
2. Ed Werenich
3. Kerry Burtnyk
4. Sandra Schmirler
5. Orest Meleschu6
6. Don Duguid
7. Pee_Wee Pickering
8. Al Hackner
9. Kerri Einarson
10. Wayne Middaugh
11. Jeff Stoughton
12. Brad Gushue
13. Kevin Martin
14. Dr. Elisabet Gustafson
15. Brad Jacobs
16. Guy Hemmings
17. Shannon Kleibrink
18. Kelly Scott
19. Marilyn Bodogh
20. Heather Nedohin
21. Matt Baldwin
22. VIc Peters

Unfortunately, there's an almost equivalent list of great teams that are exceptionally boring and tedious to watch:

1. Randy Ferbey
2. Rachel Homan
3. Russ Howard
4. Mike Riley
5. Ed Lukowich
6. Connie Laliberte
7. Randy Woytowich
8. Kevin Koe
9. The Richardsons
10. Doug Wankel
11. Tom Reed
12. Jimmy Ursel
13. Stefanie Lawton
14. Sherry Anderson
15. Linda Moore

Any I missed in either category?

04-20-20 12:28PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Unfortunately, there's an almost equivalent list of great teams that are exceptionally boring and tedious to watch:

1. Randy Ferbey
2. Rachel Homan
3. Russ Howard
4. Mike Riley
5. Ed Lukowich
6. Connie Laliberte
7. Randy Woytowich
8. Kevin Koe
9. The Richardsons
10. Doug Wankel
11. Tom Reed
12. Jimmy Ursel
13. Stefanie Lawton
14. Sherry Anderson
15. Linda Moore

Any I missed in either category?
10. [/B]

I don't find any of these teams 'boring' in the least. I love the old school skips, still doing their thing (Koe, etc), who don't feel the need to speed up the game; it's not a speed based game. It's a thinking game.

04-20-20 04:09PM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

It was sure nice and refreshing to listen to Moose Turnbull and Linda Moore. I miss them both big time.

04-20-20 05:15PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Beermaker
It was sure nice and refreshing to listen to Moose Turnbull and Linda Moore. I miss them both big time.

That was nice.

It's interesting to see how some of these players have aged; Hebert got the nickname "Meat" from how beefy he was back then. His current skip, however, really hasn't aged all that much since 2010.

04-20-20 10:48PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

PLEASE replay brier final 2004. Talk about MasterCard commercials. The look on the cockyist curler of all time after the last thrown stone, Ferbey after being outplayed, out strategized and out curled, priceless. Only thing better is when he said gushue had NO chance of winning the Olympic trials in Halifax. He was as wrong as Stoughton .

04-21-20 07:29AM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
PLEASE replay brier final 2004. Talk about MasterCard commercials. The look on the cockyist curler of all time after the last thrown stone, Ferbey after being outplayed, out strategized and out curled, priceless. Only thing better is when he said gushue had NO chance of winning the Olympic trials in Halifax. He was as wrong as Stoughton .

Stoughton was probably right about his comment, but then they recruited Howard. Sure he would not have won without his input.

04-21-20 07:53AM
On The Nose
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards

I don't find any of these teams 'boring' in the least. I love the old school skips, still doing their thing (Koe, etc), who don't feel the need to speed up the game; it's not a speed based game. It's a thinking game.

It is most definitely a thinking game. And that's what I keep telling the newer curlers at my club who say that I'm slow...
I say "Those who can think, do. Those who can't think, play fast."

Sadly, the powers that be in curling are trying to speed it up - as they are doing in other sports in order to accommodate the shorter attention spans.
But in a world where the average attention span of an adult human has decreased to approximately a pathetic 4 seconds, it's really nice to have a sport which values and respects intellectual assessment and the thought process.

04-21-20 10:57AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:

Stoughton was probably right about his comment, but then they recruited Howard. Sure he would not have won without his input.

Agreed - Brad Gushue in '04 was a rather immature curling brain. Russ Howard was a past master - who could still put in great numbers at 2nd - only drop was Russ at 51 was NOT a strong brusher. Russ inherently knew that Team Gushue had all the natural resources necessary to topple some pretty decent teams - it just had to be marshalled into consistently smart & wise decisions. Once they clicked no one could stop them - Stoughton fought valiantly but was no match for Brad's Brain (Howard)

04-21-20 11:10AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

FANTASY CURLING MATCHES I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO SEE:

MENS -

Don Duguid vs. Ron Northcott

5 Briers in 6 years between the two super-powers of curling.

Northcott's front end of Bernie & Storey were the best sweepers in the world, powerful men who could generate a storm of noise whenever they applied the corn straw to the ice.

True dat - until Pettapiece & Wood showed up. Two strapping big men who made Sparkes & Storey sound like silence!

Rod Hunter was a great third at the peak of his powers - The Owl had a variety of 3rds in his employ. Edge to Duguid.

As for Duguid & Owl - Owl was a far deeper and thoughtful curling mind, not as stressed./restless as Duguid always appeared. Owl prolly was a slightly better percentage shooter than Dugie but Duguid could complete the big shots more than Ron immo.

2 great teams with zero weaknesses. . . . . other than Duguid's restlessness. In a Best of 7 I have Duguid winning 4 games to 2.

WOMENS

4-WAY TOURNEY

Coco Jones - Jennifer Jones - Sandra Schmirler - Rachel Homan

Double knockout to eliminate 1 team - then a progressive playoff like Brier or Scotties.

In such an event I predict a couple early upsets - Coco Jones might have been able to stun Rachel Homan by using Kim Kelly's 3rd stones to seal off the house, forcing Homan to blast.

However, after an early upset I don't see Colleen able to maintain control over the other ladies - Coco would be the eliminated team from Top 3

TOP 3 - Homan finishes first based on draws to the button; leaving JJ Jones to play Schmirler in the semi-final. After getting off to a great start, up 3 at the break, Jones fails to defend the lead and Schmirler nips her in an extra end by draw the side of the button with her last brick.

In the final. Schmirler pounces on her younger prey with an early 3; an out of sorts Team Homan start bearing down, making every shot under the sun, forcing Schmirler to concede steals of 1 at various ends before Rachel makes a fantastic cross-house double on her final rock in 10 to score 1 and send things into an extra end.

In the extra end - Marcia, Joni, Jan & Sandra curl a perfect 100% end; leaving Sandra with a final stone chip out of a half open Homan stone in the 4 foot - SCHMIRLER WINS.

04-21-20 11:14AM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

I also think it would be great if the replayed all the Canadian Olympic qualifying playoff games. Start back in 88 and go right through to 2018

04-22-20 02:51PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
FANTASY CURLING MATCHES I WOULD HAVE LOVED TO SEE:

Coco Jones - Jennifer Jones - Sandra Schmirler - Rachel Homan

Annette Norberg beats them all.

Here's a challenge for you: who wins Sweden vs Canada?

Hasselborg, Norberg and Gustaffson vs Schmirler, JJones and Homan?

04-22-20 06:02PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again

Annette Norberg beats them all.

Here's a challenge for you: who wins Sweden vs Canada?

Hasselborg, Norberg and Gustaffson vs Schmirler, JJones and Homan?

That's a brilliant proposition. If I could program the games, and it was just 3 games over 1 day I'd have it as follows:

GAME 1: JJ Jones vs. Hasselborg. Obviously Anna is a far more accurate & athletic player at 29 than JJ at 45, no question. But Jones with her optimum lineup including Jill Officer at 2nd would be a pile for Anna to handle. Game could go either way but if Jones was somehow able to stifle attempts by Hasselborg for a big score I have Jones winning - either tied or 1 up coming home w/ hammer.

GAME 2: Homan vs. Norberg. Norberg is a queen when it comes to curling, most folks bow down to her. Homan would try to shot pelt Norberg early but Norberg was uniquely consistent in all aspects of the game (hitting & drawing). Rachel would eventually run out of fire-power, leaving Norberg an open hit for the win.

GAME 3: Schmirler vs. Elisabet Gustafson - two of the finest sportswomen in the history of the game. This one is almost too close to call. Having seen both I'd favor Schmirler in the end but she'd need a great shot to pull it off - either tap to the button or angle double.

CANADA 2 - SWEDEN 1

Play the games with different opponents and it could easily be 3-0 SWEDEN.

04-22-20 06:06PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Jennifer Jones - the spectacular one

Sandra Schmirler - the brilliance of determination

Rachel Homan - The Killer

Elisabet Gustafson - The Elegance of the Game

Annette Norberg - Amazingly Consistent

Anna Hasselborg - Maker of Shots

04-24-20 10:20PM
prairie guy is offline Click Here to See the Profile for prairie guy Click here to Send prairie guy a Private Message Find more posts by prairie guy Add prairie guy to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
prairie guy
Swing Artist

I am grateful that TSN is showing on Sundays games from other years besides the last couple. Good for them. However, when they choose games to show during the week why oh why does it have to be the same event(s) over and over. I don't think we need to see the 2019 Scotties again and again. Yes I know it is not really curling season anymore but with no live sports to show I would have thought they would try to be a little more flexible on filling their programming void. Oh well maybe when I can start golfing on May 15th I will be over it......

04-24-20 10:29PM
johnnysmoke is offline Click Here to See the Profile for johnnysmoke Click here to Send johnnysmoke a Private Message Find more posts by johnnysmoke Add johnnysmoke to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
johnnysmoke
Swing Artist

quote:

You sure? That's the exact statement that proved so embarrassing for Stoughton. He's still trying to live it down 15 years later.