Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Thu, Feb 20 -- 7:00pm ET
Vaughan 11  7th
Melanson
Flannery 10  8th
Anderson
Sherrard 10  7th
Aube
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2020 Provincials

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-26-20 03:32PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Assuming Homan emerges from Ontario the Scotties seedings should be something like:

1. Homan
2. Carey
3. Jones (if she gets thru)
3. Einarson (if she gets thru)
3. Fleury (if she gets thru)

If two of the 3 get by the #3 will default to Jones, assuming Jones is one of the 2.

If Jones buried in Manitoba event, then Fleury will take #3, even if she has to slither in thru the play-in.

Einarson prolly gets a clean #3 if she wins the play-in.

#6 - McCarville
#7 - Sasky (Silvernagle, Englot, Anderson)
#8 - Rocque or Laura Walker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-26-20 03:44PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

well, unless something drastic happens its not looking like colleen will get to the scotties for a 5th decade. unless maryanne takes her as her 5th..

01-26-20 03:48PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Assuming Homan emerges from Ontario the Scotties seedings should be something like:

1. Homan
2. Carey
3. Jones (if she gets thru)
3. Einarson (if she gets thru)
3. Fleury (if she gets thru)

If two of the 3 get by the #3 will default to Jones, assuming Jones is one of the 2.

If Jones buried in Manitoba event, then Fleury will take #3, even if she has to slither in thru the play-in.

Einarson prolly gets a clean #3 if she wins the play-in.

#6 - McCarville
#7 - Sasky (Silvernagle, Englot, Anderson)
#8 - Rocque or Laura Walker

How will 3 MB teams get in, I can see 2 - 1 MB winner the other the play in winner.

01-26-20 05:36PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

How will 3 MB teams get in, I can see 2 - 1 MB winner the other the play in winner.

Only 2 Manitoba teams will get in - the loser of the play-in game will no doubt be the 3rd Manitoba team - but they won't be playing round-robin once they've lost the play-in.

01-26-20 06:50PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Only 2 Manitoba teams will get in - the loser of the play-in game will no doubt be the 3rd Manitoba team - but they won't be playing round-robin once they've lost the play-in.
Okay. I thought there was a High CTRS points spot as well as the play-in. So, MB rep and two CTRS teams play off. No other spot. Thanks.

01-26-20 09:54PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Don't think I've ever seen as emotional outpouring as Laura Walker after capturing her first provincial title and going on to represent Alberta at the STOH.

Laura is almost all business in the hack and on the tee. Very classy performer who's bounced around various teams and combinations over the years.

I've been as hard as others on her - even though I like and respect her very much - - - I've said she rarely delivers those 85 and 90% performances the top guns have to.

And I think Laura has heard all the whispers about her abilities as a skip, too.

Tonite in Okotoks, Alberta she proved me wrong. She proved all the critics wrong. She stayed strong and kept on keeping on.

Well done Laura. Don't think Alberta could have a better representative at the Tournament of Hearts.

01-28-20 10:37AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Wonder if Homan could somehow overtake Jennifer Jones in CTRS points based on play at their respective provincials.

#1 question - do teams receive CTRS pts based on provincial playdowns?

#2 question - if they do, and since Homan is only 31 pts behind Jones for #3 in CTRS Canada, would Homan exceed Jones if she did well in the Ontario playdowns (runner-up) while Jones took a belly-flop and didn't even make playoffs in Manitoba?

All that said - if Einarson or Fleury win Manitoba, only was Homan, who should win Ontario in a cakewalk, but if somehow she doesn't - can get into the STOH play-in is if she has more CTRS pts than JJones.

In reality - Homan should be a heavy favorite in Ontario - and a slight favorite in Moose Jaw.

Silvernagle will prolly win Saskatchewan and Manitoba will send two of their 3 top teams to Moose Jaw.

Smart money still on the well-balanced and positive Tracy Fleury. After that Jones & Einarson would make for one heckuva catfight play-in. The dour and listless Einarson, who still makes some exceptional shots vs. the screaming hell-raiser of Manitoba curling, Jones who is frantically fighting her decline.

When all is done - neither Einarson (flubbed shots at critical points) or Jones (low percentages and now too easy to steal against) should medal in Moose Jaw.

The top contenders in STOH will be:

Homan - Silvernagle - Carey - Fleury - McCarville . . . . outside chance Fleury weasels into the Top 3.

01-28-20 06:42PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Hitting Paint

quote:
Wonder if Homan could somehow overtake Jennifer Jones in CTRS points based on play at their respective provincials.

#1 question - do teams receive CTRS pts based on provincial playdowns?

#2 question - if they do, and since Homan is only 31 pts behind Jones for #3 in CTRS Canada, would Homan exceed Jones if she did well in the Ontario playdowns (runner-up) while Jones took a belly-flop and didn't even make playoffs in Manitoba?

1) Yes, they do

2) Where do you get your 31 points? She's behind by 48 points. Even if Homan won Ontario and Jennifer went 0-5, she couldn't even get past Jones.

01-29-20 08:07PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

wow. ackland with the upset over einarson in their first game

does anyone else think its possible that, should einarson ail to make the scotties again this year that this team could break apart. i mean..it was put together for a reason. 2 seasons together without the desired result could be hard to take

01-29-20 08:52PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Too soon. It's one game. Come back in a couple days. Still a looonnggg way to the finish.

Go Fleury.

01-29-20 09:09PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
Too soon. It's one game. Come back in a couple days. Still a looonnggg way to the finish.

Go Fleury.

Agree. Too soon to make that call, imo. All teams have their off days/moments, without being able to see what was going on there could have been a pick etc that could have factored into that loss.

There are some teams I wouldn't be too shocked if they do make changes but never thought of Einarson being one of them.

01-29-20 09:17PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Does anyone have links to streaming games? SK streamed the women's but nothing here yet for any others. My laptop died and it's way too difficult to search all the sites using my phone. MB and AB will have later tv coverage I think but nothing in the early games.

01-29-20 09:25PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

No feed unfortunately for MB (huge oversight), but here are the feeds I've found:

Saskatchewan:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7...fXkfLhAOgB1nJdg

Ontario:
https://www.titlesportslive.ca/go-live

Northern Ontario:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6...VW51EKFHrOrAIBQ

New Brunswick(multiple camera views) :
[url]http://webcast.3sixty.live/Player/Player/253?fbclid=IwAR2HEnq0D8- 8_BCr8ax2jDzId9UgRRVdNaOLcqpmNal7Bky3f_0ZTmOUwrw#[
/url]

01-29-20 09:50PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Hitting Paint

There is way too much riding on team Einarson. They are at worse a top 5 team in Canada, so even if it goes poorly, they did some right things in the past 2 years. If the team was an epic failure on the tour and in CC events, I'd think about this, but as of now, just trust the process and reevaluate how you build your next 2 years.

01-29-20 10:09PM
curlingclips is online now Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Harvey Hacksmasher

These provincial streams are fun to listen to! These aren't the professional televised productions, so there's a lot of hot mic moments that you rarely hear on TSN/Sportsnet.

A couple of good ones I've heard so far are some gossips about Scott Chadwick being a beast sweeper, and Taylor McDonald looking like Snow White.

01-29-20 11:23PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Yeah. So no cameras set up at the MB Scotties, at least not yet. Thinking an overnight crew might do it tonight. Einarson threw a stinker on her hammer to lose to Ackland. Place was almost full for the morning draw. Capacity 1300, but only 800 seats, so standing room only is my prediction for Friday. All the locals are swamping this event. They are in the middle of curling country. Great spacious venue.

01-29-20 11:48PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
Yeah. So no cameras set up at the MB Scotties, at least not yet. Thinking an overnight crew might do it tonight. Einarson threw a stinker on her hammer to lose to Ackland. Place was almost full for the morning draw. Capacity 1300, but only 800 seats, so standing room only is my prediction for Friday. All the locals are swamping this event. They are in the middle of curling country. Great spacious venue.

Rivers is only 20 miles from Brandon. Remember when Doug Carvey was their top curler (about 35 to 40 yrs ago)

About same distance from Minnedosa, little further to Neepawa. Virden about an hour away.

Abby Ackland wasn't even at the helm when Einarson blew up on her last rock. Hailey was skipping.

Team Einarson is not a great fit. Having a listless, disinterested skip who occasionally shoots the lights out combined with a semi-listless, average shooting import 3rd (Val) isn't a recipe for success.

No matter how great the front end of Meilleur & Birchard are.

Next year if Jones washes out and Einarson is jettisoned I can see
Birchard skipping
Lawes or Meilleur at 3rd
Meilleur or someone else 2nd
Dawn McEwen lead
Jilly Officer - coach

Now that would be a team.

Of course, not sure Lawes will recover from her staggering last couple years of failure w/ Jones.

01-30-20 10:35AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

GOOD NEWS - BAD NEWS

THE BAD: Super-Sub Cathy Overton has retired from Curling; hasn't thrown a rock this year and recently broke her leg in 3 places stepping on a dog bone at home.

THE GOOD: Cathy O made her way to Rivers and is coaching the 4th ranked Beth Peterson team; having worked with 2nd Katherine Doerksen & 3rd Jenna Loder before. Cathy O also has a contract with U.S. curling to coach their championship team skipped by Jamie Sinclair.

Kudos to Cathy for getting to Rivers in a leg cast and working with a highly ranked squad.

btw - Cathy is only 50 or 51, I don't believe she's fully retired. If a sub opportunity arises she'll grab it - obviously not this year.

She should also keep her schedule open for senior women's curling. She'd excel at that level.

01-30-20 03:06PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
These provincial streams are fun to listen to! These aren't the professional televised productions, so there's a lot of hot mic moments that you rarely hear on TSN/Sportsnet.

A couple of good ones I've heard so far are some gossips about Scott Chadwick being a beast sweeper, and Taylor McDonald looking like Snow White.

Actually yes, then some mispronouncing of names, positions and who has the hammer!

From what I see, Homan could be challenged by Duncan & Murphy, looks Balsdon tried. But it's not so much that Homan is playing the lights out, it's that the other teams are missing shots they shouldn't. Light on key draws, flashing hits, throwing through or deep...not sure if its ice or nerves. But I much appreciate the online broadcasts!

01-31-20 10:15AM
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by nelski Capacity at Riverdale Arena 1300, but only 800 seats, so standing room only is my prediction for Friday. All the locals are swamping this event. They are in the middle of curling country. Great spacious venue.
So, apparently Thursday was SRO so the crew set up another set of bleachers - now 900 can sit... 400 can stand. They have Hydro spools for beer drinkers around the corners of the ice. Guaranteed packed house tonight for Jones/Einarson bout. Rumour is final will be televised but I haven't seen cameras yet. Maybe no overhead... ends only.

01-31-20 10:45AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Face it. The talent pool in Ontario is pretty thin. When teams like Brandwood/Hastings/Harrison who are getting long in the tooth can only amass a total of 3 wins it does not bode well for the future here in ON. There is only one team from ON that has a hope of contending at the Scotties and that is Homan.

01-31-20 11:04AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Even a sour & out-of-sorts Homan would accumulate 7 to 9 wins at STOH and easily glide into playoffs where they'd have to confront fellow Canadian women monsters like:

Fleury, Einarson, Jones, Silvernagle, Carey, McCarville.

Homan has to use all her terrific skills to stay alert and interested in the games at hand in Ontario.

Suspect Ontario comes down to Rachel Homan vs. Hollie Duncan. I'd say Homan easily an 85%+ favorite to take the duke.

Only way Duncan wins is by playing a bit above their heads - while Rachel has a very off game (ie. sub 75% at Skip and/or 3rd.

Nice to see Rivers, MB going Curling GaGa for the Manitoba Scotties - shame it won't be televised until semi-finals.

01-31-20 12:45PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
So, apparently Thursday was SRO so the crew set up another set of bleachers - now 900 can sit... 400 can stand. They have Hydro spools for beer drinkers around the corners of the ice. Guaranteed packed house tonight for Jones/Einarson bout. Rumour is final will be televised but I haven't seen cameras yet. Maybe no overhead... ends only.

Sportsnet is televising Sun. Manitoba semi and final.

which shows on the draw schedule at 9:00 and 2:00.

I did scroll through to Sunday on Sportsnet and saw it.

01-31-20 01:33PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1

Sportsnet is televising Sun. Manitoba semi and final.

which shows on the draw schedule at 9:00 and 2:00.

I did scroll through to Sunday on Sportsnet and saw it.

The newspaper and curlmanitoba draw has the finals at 4pm Sunday. I'm thinking 2 is the usual time and it avoids the Super Bowl but not 100% sure. Need to plan drinking/food delivery schedule.

Last edited by hogged again on 01-31-20 at 01:35PM

01-31-20 04:05PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

I’ve seen lots of empty seats at Cornwall (ON), I hope it’s just the angle of the tv cameras.