Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 2 -- Thu, Feb 20 -- 7:00pm ET
Vaughan 11  7th
Melanson
Flannery 10  8th
Anderson
Sherrard 10  7th
Aube
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2020 Provincials

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 8 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-21-20 05:36PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Hitting Paint

2020 Provincials

Since it's not the Canadian Open, we might as well create a new thread about it.

Quebec is streaming the games on their youtube channel. It's dropping a ton of frames right now

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCI...3WU8tJbpAZcOrUQ

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-21-20 06:57PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Story out of Manitoba

Calling MB a powerhouse.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...arson-1.5435371

01-22-20 09:55AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Re: Story out of Manitoba

quote:
Originally posted by CURLER1
Calling MB a powerhouse.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/...arson-1.5435371

I can't tell if you agree or disagree with the CBC reporter's premise.

Manitoba is certainly a paper tiger when it comes to women's curling. Prolly 6 teams can take the duke in Rivers (Jones, Einarson, Fleury, Ackland, Peterson, Spencer) . . . perhaps even the super-juniors Zacharias.

However strong on paper all the Manitoba teams have flaws, warts & deviations that render them paper tigers. Not really super teams like Hasselborg, TIrinzoni, Homan, even Carey & Schiedegger.

Jones reputation precedes her. The most storied women's curler in Canadian history. But time has been unkind to JJ - she's rarely hitting the broom, her weight control has been atrocious and her once amazing/aggressive strategy is now, too often used against her. Still a strong team that if her fronters go monster and Jen can somehow hold her own.

Einarson has evolved into a bit of a fly-by-niter. Superb front end, great 3rd (on paper) that doesn't live up to her billing. Einarson can be world class for a few ends, then look like a business league sophomore for a couple ends. Wildly inconsistent.

Fleury has the best balance of consistency, strategy and shot-making as Selena has really ascended to being a top level 3rd. The weakness is Liz Fyfe, a 70-75% shooter which by virtue of torques up the degree of difficulty for Selena & Tracy. McCuish is developing into a top level lead but she's not quite there yet. If someone can overpower them on the front (ie. Jones) then they are easily dethroned as Manitoba favorites.

01-22-20 06:23PM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Hitting Paint

I know that CTRS isn't the perfect format, but you have the top 3 teams in the country in Manitoba. Also, ML, we know we can't take you seriously since you mention 2 teams that aren't even at Manitoba playdowns since Zaharias is at Juniors (I think she tried to qualify for Scotties, but missed out) and Spencer didn't even enter playdowns this year.

I wonder how St-Georges will do in Quebec this year. You could argue that she had the best team in Quebec for the past 2 years but couldn't play because she was playing Canadian Juniors at the same time.

01-23-20 06:44AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by UnattachedFC
I know that CTRS isn't the perfect format, but you have the top 3 teams in the country in Manitoba. Also, ML, we know we can't take you seriously since you mention 2 teams that aren't even at Manitoba playdowns since Zaharias is at Juniors (I think she tried to qualify for Scotties, but missed out) and Spencer didn't even enter playdowns this year.

I wonder how St-Georges will do in Quebec this year. You could argue that she had the best team in Quebec for the past 2 years but couldn't play because she was playing Canadian Juniors at the same time.

yeah, i agree about st.georges. i think many consider her the uture of curling in quebec. . got a lot of talent. and, as i said in the other thread she reminds me a lot of larouche in her manerisms.

im really interested to see how she progresses in the womens tour. someone else im really interested in is justine ccomeau. i think she could be really good and put new brunswick curling in the spotlight

01-23-20 03:30PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Didn't know Spencer had semi-retired; she was a perennial contender & occasional winner in Scotties Manitoba lore.

Thought Zacharias had qualified but with the new 12 team limit, she may have run into a brick wall in a regional crossover. Her time will come in 2 or 3 yrs when Jones is gone, and only one of Einarson/Fleury are viable.

Fleury announced as the #1 seed, followed by Einarson #2, Jones #3. Is Beth Peterson #4?

Fleury buoyed by the hiring of legendary Jones player Jill Officer as their team coach. Officer was Jones' lieutenant for many years - imbuing JJ with belief she often didn't have in herself. If she can do the same for Fleury & Selena they will be a tough chore to beat in Rivers,

01-23-20 04:22PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Tv coverage

Sportsnet says they are showing alberta scot semi and final at 10 am and 6 sunday but arent those g@mes monday

01-24-20 06:29PM
UnattachedFC
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
Tv coverage

Sportsnet says they are showing alberta scot semi and final at 10 am and 6 sunday but arent those g@mes monday

No they are on Sunday. Curlingzone went from Friday to Sunday in their schedule and had no games on Saturday. Alberta Curling has games on Saturday which makes more sense. (I don't know how curlingzone scores work , but the bot is making a lot more errors these days so I try to go to provincial sources when I can get it.)

01-24-20 06:39PM
UnattachedFC
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Didn't know Spencer had semi-retired; she was a perennial contender & occasional winner in Scotties Manitoba lore.

Thought Zacharias had qualified but with the new 12 team limit, she may have run into a brick wall in a regional crossover. Her time will come in 2 or 3 yrs when Jones is gone, and only one of Einarson/Fleury are viable.

Fleury announced as the #1 seed, followed by Einarson #2, Jones #3. Is Beth Peterson #4?

It wasn't clear who they would send, because their was one zone that didn't send a team this year so they had to give it to someone, and it went to Robertson. It wasn't really clear how they got their spot outside that they had 11 qualified teams for a 12 team format and they had to give it to someone. Zacharias tried to qualify but lost (to be fair, I think only 2 teams didn't make the provincials in Manitoba this year. Zaharias (Lost their 2 games to Clark-Rouire) and Lisa Hale (lost to Janelle Vachon and Terry Ursel)

And yes team Peterson is the 4th seed per
https://twitter.com/curlmanitoba/st...076023636811776

01-24-20 08:59PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by UnattachedFC

It wasn't clear who they would send, because their was one zone that didn't send a team this year so they had to give it to someone, and it went to Robertson. It wasn't really clear how they got their spot outside that they had 11 qualified teams for a 12 team format and they had to give it to someone. Zacharias tried to qualify but lost (to be fair, I think only 2 teams didn't make the provincials in Manitoba this year. Zaharias (Lost their 2 games to Clark-Rouire) and Lisa Hale (lost to Janelle Vachon and Terry Ursel)

And yes team Peterson is the 4th seed per
https://twitter.com/curlmanitoba/st...076023636811776

I believe Peterson could run up the middle and topple the rankings in Manitoba. A very strong regional team that's started to play in bigger cash spiels. They've got all the shots, are very mature and don't seem to fold under pressure (ie. shot-pelting). Only deficiency is experience under the klieg lights/arena ice, etc.

If Peterson does win then bad news for Ms. Jones as Fleury & Einarson will play off for the play-in STOH spot.

Jones has to win Manitoba or hope Fleury or Einarson win if she doesn't. That would mean the winner goes directly to STOH as Team Manitoba - and Jones gets to play the loser in play-in.

01-24-20 10:23PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Super Casey Scheidegger on verge of being out of the Alberta Scotties.

Down 7-2 after 6 ends (games are 10 in provincials) to unbeaten 5-0 Laura Walker.

Walker can secure her spot in the finals by knocking out Scheidgger (2-3) tonite.

Not as much of a surprise as you think. While Walker is now a fixture on the cash circuit she rarely delivers tour de force performances. Kinda like a cross between Kerri Einarson & Tracy Fleury.

Scheidegger obviously not super sharp as she's recently returned to the ice lanes after a significant layoff due to childbirth.

Schiedegger must do a complete Jennifer Jones tonite. Make a roaring comeback while not at her best vs. a tenacious group trying to get to her 1st Scotties.

01-25-20 12:19AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

is casey herself actually on the ice?. i know curlingzone has her in the lineup on here but that doesnt mean a lot. they also had nina roth in the lineup earlier this year when she wasnt

01-25-20 01:22AM
UnattachedFC
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
is casey herself actually on the ice?. i know curlingzone has her in the lineup on here but that doesnt mean a lot. they also had nina roth in the lineup earlier this year when she wasnt

They mentioned that she was back, so I assume that it was true. Jessie was the bigger issue for Provincials.

01-25-20 10:36AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Schiedegger, true to all great champions put on a spirited comeback and closed Walker's mid-game 7-2 lead to 7-5 but Walker survived and put Casey down to 2-4 by taking a deuce in the 10th.

FUNNY THING - SCHIEDEGGER IS STILL NOT OUT.

Although Walker & Kelcey Rocque have skated to an easy 1-2 position in the round-robin.

4th place, the final playoff placement is still up for grabs.

Scheidegger must win her final game to get to 3-4 and hope for bad things to happen to a couple other teams - that would force a tie-breaker for the final (4th) playoff spot.

Should Casey get that - perhaps her game will come around and she'll be able to torment Rocque or Walker in the playoffs. Stranger things have happened, haven't they?

01-25-20 02:26PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I'm gonna watch the MBScotties live next week. So, theoretically, all three Fleury/Einarson/Jones can qualify for the National Scotties - but what happens if someone ELSE wins the event in Rivers. Wiill one of those three NOT qualify for nationals?

01-25-20 03:04PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelski
I'm gonna watch the MBScotties live next week. So, theoretically, all three Fleury/Einarson/Jones can qualify for the National Scotties - but what happens if someone ELSE wins the event in Rivers. Wiill one of those three NOT qualify for nationals?

If someone other than Jones, Einarson or Fleury nab Manitoba then the top 2 CTRS teams go to the play in.

Fleury is currently #1
EInarson #2
Jones #3
Homan #4 (late start in the year due to conditioning issues arising from childbirth of 2 team members)

Since only 1 team can win Manitoba (so I'm told) then the next 2 teams on the CTRS are fed into the STOH play-in automatically.

If someone other than the top 3 seeds wins Manitoba, Jones is in trouble as the STOH play-in will feature Einarson vs. Fleury.

Jones best hope is to nab Manitoba and remove all doubt - sending Einarson & Fleury to the play-in.

01-25-20 10:24PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Regardless of outcomes in Alberta, Sask, N. Ontario & Manitoba the betting favorite will no doubt be Rachel Homan, should she emerge from Ontario.

Homan is having an off year to be sure - 2 childbirths at skip & 2nd have effected team progression - but they should be solid enough to stave off all comers in Ontario and get to STOH.

Laura Walker seems poised to take Alberta for the 1st time but Kelsey Roque still in the way.

1 of Silvernagle, Englot or Anderson will emerge from Sasky - all have a few problems - Englot & Anderson are nearly masters curlers while Silvernage showed well last year - they ran out of shots down the stretch. Kristin Streifel is a good 7 or 8 end curler, not suited for the rigors of 10 ends.

Einarson, Jones, Fleury - all have provenance either thru Scotties or cash play - but Jones, the ancient veteran brings so much experience she's capable of getting by curling 75% (if she can get there)

McCarville is auto-berthed from N. Ontario. An amazing, under-played skip who should have won one by now.

Carey the defending champion is too often moody and disinterested. Got a very nice team with a quality 3rd, but when Chelsea's off, nothing matters.

While Homan is not a sure thing anymore - a 4th Scotties title (prior to age 32) would be a feather in her cap.

Homan is the one team that can shot-pelt you to death. The one team that usually feature all 4 members in the 80s - if not 1 or 2 in the 90s. Her competitors are simply not equipped and trained to survive such assaults.

01-26-20 06:29AM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Harvey Hacksmasher

How will Scott McDonald do this year? I'm still learning about curling strategies and tactics, so I still don't understand how they were able to tear through Ontario last year undefeated, primarily with how they use the tick shots from what I heard, but didn't seem to go much farther afterward.

01-26-20 09:02AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Go Colleen Go!

01-26-20 09:20AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Colleen "Coco" Jones was on fire during the Nova Scotia Scotties - at least until she ran into her old 2nd, Maryanne.

Maryanne put a stop to Coco in the round-robin.

No doubt she'll be Coco's impediment in the playoff round.

01-26-20 10:41AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

colleen jones could be the first curler ever to appear at the scotties in 5 different decades if she wins today. that would be quite something and something i dont think anyone will ever match

as much as i love colleen and can appreciate what a fantastic story it would be it has to be troubling for nova scotia that none of the younger teams are breaking through

01-26-20 10:42AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlingclips
How will Scott McDonald do this year? I'm still learning about curling strategies and tactics, so I still don't understand how they were able to tear through Ontario last year undefeated, primarily with how they use the tick shots from what I heard, but didn't seem to go much farther afterward.

they have struggled this year for sure. i still think they'll be there at the end of the week but id be surprised if they won again

01-26-20 10:56AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
colleen jones could be the first curler ever to appear at the scotties in 5 different decades if she wins today. that would be quite something and something i dont think anyone will ever match

as much as i love colleen and can appreciate what a fantastic story it would be it has to be troubling for nova scotia that none of the younger teams are breaking through

Very troubling indeed - especially with the nice young curlers coming out of their junior program.
Of course, before we have a Coco Coronation - she still has a major impediment named Maryanne to steam over!

01-26-20 02:29PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

huge upset in the quebec final with verreault taking out st.georges

bedard also in complete control over roberge in the mens final

not familiar at all with verreault. i know her third was a top junior for years

also not familiar with bedard

but this would be the first province where the favorites didnt get through

01-26-20 03:27PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Maryanne Arsenault proving to be a true COCO-MANIA spoiler in Nova Scotia.

Realistically, Jones at 58/59 can't really stay with a superior curler like Arsenault for very long. Can she win? Certainly! Maybe 1 game out of 10.

Right now, Maryanne up 5-3 over Coco, playing the 7th and Maryanne has hammer.