Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

World Curling Report

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 3 of 24 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-11-20 05:43PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by UnattachedFC
Silvernagle and Hunkin are staying together which is the most surprising thing. So,I assume that she's found 2 great players in Saskatchewan or willing to move there.

I'll start the guessing game for the 2 new players. Ashley Howard and Stephanie Schmidt.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-11-20 06:37PM
JMan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JMan Find more posts by JMan Add JMan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JMan
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by MeaghanEdwards
Toronto Sun is either hinting at something or (likely) creating unnecessary speculation with this, for an article about the Brier that was interviewing Hebert who was talking about the season they've had:

"Team Canada will have to evaluate its future."

This quote wasn't from Hebert but from the journo itself; which sounds so open to interpretation. New routine, new coach, team member shuffling, changing of team members' position?

Hmmmm I actually thought Hebert wasn't at all himself in their last game. He was oddly docile, almost seemed like there was an "airing of grievances" within the team. I can't recall him being less vocal and showing such little enthusiasm. He tried to be positive with his teammates but it seemed rather forced. The entire game, I was thinking that something was really off there.

03-11-20 06:49PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2

I'll start the guessing game for the 2 new players. Ashley Howard and Stephanie Schmidt.

Something off here, I though Kara was pretty good but I felt the Team wasn’t as happy together as last year. Risky thing to do in a qualifying period. Won’t the team lose 1/2 their CTRS points?

03-11-20 07:01PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

They'll lose 20% for each player that leaves plus the 20% team points for not retaining 3 original members points for those leaving, but the new players will each bring 20% of the points from the team from which they come. So yes they'll drop a bunch of spots unless they bring in top 10 team players.

03-11-20 07:22PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Do you think Kelly Schafer has truly lost the desire. She stepped away from the Streifel team. Is she hovering in the wings? I'd say Howard and Schafer might be a fit with Silvernagle and Hunkin. Total speculation of course.

03-11-20 07:40PM
wsj28 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wsj28 Click here to Send wsj28 a Private Message Find more posts by wsj28 Add wsj28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wsj28
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

I'll throw out Jennifer Armstrong, formerly of Team Crawford in NB.

03-11-20 09:46PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

I really like the idea of Stephanie Schmidt coming on board. Ash Howard prolly moves to vice.

Wonder if Lawton keeps chugging or hooks up with Lana Vey?

03-12-20 10:17AM
UnattachedFC is offline Click Here to See the Profile for UnattachedFC Click here to Send UnattachedFC a Private Message Find more posts by UnattachedFC Add UnattachedFC to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
UnattachedFC
Hitting Paint

quote:
They'll lose 20% for each player that leaves plus the 20% team points for not retaining 3 original members points for those leaving, but the new players will each bring 20% of the points from the team from which they come. So yes they'll drop a bunch of spots unless they bring in top 10 team players.

They were far behind. I don't think it will hurt the team that much. There are only 5 teams in Canada that would be invited to the first slam next year (Rocque is 16th) Unlike the men, in women's curling, you can get away with starting a new team this late. I don't think that anybody had team Scheidegger getting in the Trials without going through Pre-Trials 4 years ago, but they did it.

I could be wrong, but the Canada Cup teams next year will be: Einarson, Fleury, Jones, Homan, Carey and Rocque. The 7th spot, if it's like in previous years will be given to the team that has the best start to the year. The team that makes it, would have a lead over other potential trials teams and would be able to even gain more where a SF at the Canada Cup would probably be enough to get a trials spot.

03-12-20 01:32PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

You're right they are way too low in the standings to qualify for the slams, and that's before they lose the team 20%. Right now curling Canada has them 10th place for ctrs. Once they lose the 20% they'll drop to lower than 20th. It is very unlikely the players coming in will have as many points as those leaving, so probably drop to 25th or lower.

Their best bet is to try and get back into the top 15 in Canada to try and get to the Olympic pretrial, with a long shot to qualify directly to the trials. Have to win next year's Scotties for that

03-12-20 02:23PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Hitting Paint

Lawton has had an excellent career but has also had the same problem plague her all throughout it--the big miss on a key draw in the late ends. I think Silvernagle will miss the veteran presence and positive attitude that she has but in the long run she will be better off.

Last edited by hogged again on 03-12-20 at 02:26PM

03-12-20 05:08PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by hogged again
Lawton has had an excellent career but has also had the same problem plague her all throughout it--the big miss on a key draw in the late ends. I think Silvernagle will miss the veteran presence and positive attitude that she has but in the long run she will be better off.

While Lawton appears mostly cool, calm and all vetted up - she unravels & gets frantic far too often. . . . almost every time Silvernagle was in trouble - Lawton was either the weak link or getting frantic on the T - far too many communication breakdowns - Robyn was relying on Lawton's veteran presence and above-average shot-making. For the most part she got some nifty shot-making but the leadership wasn't quite there; Lawton was visibly upset several times during the Scotties.

Stef Lawton will either retire, go back to skipping or try to find another top group to steer in Sask'n. Can't see her jumping provinces like Ridgeway. And I doubt she wants to vice on a developmental team.

Perhaps she'll hook up with another vet, Amber Holland. Holland used to be quite the curler, wonder if she's got anything left in the tank?

03-12-20 05:31PM
varnsey is offline Click Here to See the Profile for varnsey Click here to Send varnsey a Private Message Find more posts by varnsey Add varnsey to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
varnsey
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

Howards team is staying together.... my guess is Dayna Demers and Kristen Streifel join the team

03-12-20 06:34PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by varnsey

Howards team is staying together.... my guess is Dayna Demers and Kristen Streifel join the team

Maybe a couple SK born living away join the team. Like the 3 guys from ON that played for pei

03-12-20 07:31PM
wsj28 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for wsj28 Click here to Send wsj28 a Private Message Find more posts by wsj28 Add wsj28 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wsj28
Harvey Hacksmasher

Lisa Weagle no longer part of Team Homan

03-12-20 07:42PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by wsj28

Shocked at this. Wow.

Also kinda shocked that I have only heard of women's teams making shakeups, but no men's teams so far.

03-12-20 07:45PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

quote:

Will homan pick up a player from AB and compete from there?
Hmmm.

03-12-20 07:49PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

Team Homan post:

Team HomanLike Page
19 mins ·
It is with mixed emotions that we share news about upcoming changes to Team Homan. Rachel, Emma and Joanne are sad to announce we are parting ways with Lisa. Over the years we’ve grown together and are so proud of everything we’ve accomplished, including winning three Scotties Tournament of Hearts titles, a world championship and representing our country at the Olympics.

We value our friendship with Lisa and truly wish her all the best.

While this is a very difficult decision to make on many fronts, we are restructuring our front end to continue in our relentless pursuit of excellence. We are looking forward to the future of the team and to continue to push ourselves to be the best that we can. More information about our team lineup will come at a later date.

03-12-20 07:54PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

wow..the silvernagle announcement was shocking but this is just..mind blowing. i never saw this coming

this doesnt make it sound like lisa's choice either. this sounds like a team decision. really shocking. i dont really know who they could even pick up to get better lisa was/is one of the best leads in the world

if lisa is choosing to continue on next season she will be the hottest free agent on the market.

03-12-20 08:10PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Agree sounds like she was booted vs the old "stepping back from the game b.s." . There is NO way whomever they get to replace her will have 1/10th her resume`. Unless they get Dawn McEwen to play born in Ontario card. I do hope they curl out of AB, maybe now they can rescind the birthplace homan rule.

Hope Lisa gets on a great team and beats them. Homan would
be nowhere near where she is today without her.

03-12-20 08:19PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Agree sounds like she was booted vs the old "stepping back from the game b.s." . There is NO way whomever they get to replace her will have 1/10th her resume`. Unless they get Dawn McEwen to play born in Ontario card. I do hope they curl out of AB, maybe now they can rescind the birthplace homan rule.

Hope Lisa gets on a great team and beats them. Homan would
be nowhere near where she is today without her.

Shocking news to dump your best player...I guess now the trials spot is secured, Homan can be ruthless. No longer cheering for them.

03-12-20 08:36PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Because top teams are a business, I'd be very curious what the buyout would be . 25% of money earned ytd
plus 25% sponsorship money plus 25% curling Canada funding plus 25% sport Canada national funding plus 25% Canadian Olympic funding, less last year's expenses. Big payout. And a loss of 20% of the teams points.

Sad day for a great team.

Go Lisa go.

03-12-20 08:50PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

Shocking news to dump your best player...I guess now the trials spot is secured, Homan can be ruthless. No longer cheering for them.

Why don't we wait and see what Lisa plans on doing before making ridiculous statements like "no longer cheering for them". Maybe Lisa wants to start a family. Maybe Lisa doesn't want to play with Team Homan any longer. Maybe Lisa has decided to be a coach. Lets give Lisa and Team Homan a chance to explain the reasons.

03-12-20 09:10PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

The way the team memo was written it sure sounds like Raytch, M & Jo had a team meeting (without Li) and decided to fire her. Almost akin to Jennifer Jones firing Jill Officer (never happened) but she did fire Cathy O and about 10 to 15 other players before Cathy O.

Really wonder if Rachel will pillage another western squad like she did with Valerie Sweeting in 2014 - - - remember, Joanne Courtney was 3rd on Val Sweeting's Scotties runner-up team.

Lisa was a fabulous lead - great teammate, very cool and calm but she finished up the track at this year's event in the lead sweepstakes. But so did Dawn McEwen.

Dawn McEwen would be a slight upgrade for Lisa, but Dawn is approaching 40, Lisa was not even 35 at time of departure.

Lots of very good leads & 2nds in the west so that's what I'm thinking. Residency the main problem so long as Rachel continues to reside in Alberta.

My feeling is that it will be an existing skip with Ontario birthright or residency - someone like Laura Walker.
Walker has great demeanour and was a pleasant surprise as a skip at this year's STOH. Can't envision her winning a Scotties with her current squad.

As lead or 2nd for Rachel - sky's the limit; and they already know each other cuz they played together in juniors.

The other earth-shaker would be Rachel somehow prying Kaitlyn Lawes away from her contract with JJ. Kaitlyn, another mighty mite like Laura Walker would be a great replacement for Lisa - just don't know if Kaitlyn wants to step away from vice on a legendary team to play front end for a younger skip?

While I think the chances of Kaitlyn bolting are remote, just can't rule it out.

Last edited by Manitoba Legend on 03-12-20 at 10:25PM

03-12-20 09:12PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

Why don't we wait and see what Lisa plans on doing before making ridiculous statements like "no longer cheering for them". Maybe Lisa wants to start a family. Maybe Lisa doesn't want to play with Team Homan any longer. Maybe Lisa has decided to be a coach. Lets give Lisa and Team Homan a chance to explain the reasons.

I think you have got all the explanation you are going to get. Lisa will not speak out, due to something she probably had to sign.

Read it over, it certainly does not sound like Lisa was the one to decide.

03-12-20 09:29PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

Read between the lines and the innuendos. It is the same gobblyedygook the human resource depts use. Lisa was canned plain and simple.