Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-21-20 09:55PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

Format

Have watched this new format for 3 years now. IT SUCKS.
Time to go back to a full round robin.
The seedlings for this years scotties was horrible, and obvious to anyone that follows curling.
For tv IT SUCKS. For some reason TSN thinks they had to put the higher classes teams on at the start of the week. We’re they worried they weren’t going to the second round.
One team played one game. 8 teams played 7 games. Why bring them if they’re only playing half a tournament?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-21-20 10:08PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

I’m not a fan of the new format either, but with 16 teams, you’d have to add more days to the event. Or get rid of Team Canada, wild card (yay!) and Northern Ontario. The powers that be would never agree to that. Not sure of the ideal solution.

02-21-20 10:28PM
guido is offline Click Here to See the Profile for guido Find more posts by guido Add guido to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
guido
Super Rockchucker

There is room to add another sheet of ice. Start on Friday (already do). 15 games per day.

02-21-20 10:43PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

That's going to add a lot more games to an already grueling championship. Not even the world championship has 16 teams at the start.

My guess is that they won't be asking teams to play in even more games unless they go to 8 ends per game, which is not going to be any time within this Olympic cycle.

02-21-20 10:58PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i hate this new format too but with 16 teams a full round robin doesnt make sense

02-21-20 11:10PM
MeaghanEdwards is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MeaghanEdwards Find more posts by MeaghanEdwards Add MeaghanEdwards to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MeaghanEdwards
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
i hate this new format too but with 16 teams a full round robin doesnt make sense

Yeah that just sounds so exhausting.

02-22-20 12:03AM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Is 14 games in 9 days too many?
15 in 10 ?
17 in 10?

Maybe the 5th player would be more than a broomboy/girl.

02-22-20 12:45PM
hogged again is offline Click Here to See the Profile for hogged again Find more posts by hogged again Add hogged again to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hogged again
Drawmaster

The solution is quite simple. You go to 8 end games (which is going to happen sooner or later) and have a 14 team round robin. Right now teams play up to 110 ends pre playoffs, this would be 104. The wild card goes away and I'm sorry but I looked at a map of Canada for 2 hours and there is no province of Northern Ontario. All 3 territories stay in and you have a true national championship where everybody plays everybody else.

02-22-20 01:03PM
Qtownranger is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Qtownranger Find more posts by Qtownranger Add Qtownranger to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Qtownranger
Harvey Hacksmasher

Before changing again we should be clear on how any new format would be an improvement on the current approach. Goals as I see them are to have a fair process to determine a national champion, and that team will also be our best representative at the worlds.

It's not clear to me that eliminating Northern Ontario and the wild card team, going to a full round robin, or playing 8-end games would improve on the achievement of our goals.

Looking at who made the playoffs this year, I think we have the four best teams, any one of which could be a good rep at the worlds.

02-22-20 02:36PM
curlingclips is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlingclips Find more posts by curlingclips Add curlingclips to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlingclips
Super Rockchucker

8 ends per game would only make sense to conform with WCF when it makes that call, which won't be within current Olympic cycle.

The debate on whether 8 is better than 10 is a separate issue. When the time comes, the decision is automatic by Canada simply to conform to WCF, for better or for worse. It would make absolutely no sense for the Scotties/Brier to be 10 ends if the world championships and Olympics are 8 ends.

02-22-20 04:50PM
guido
Super Rockchucker

Also, there would be no need for a wildcard team.
14 games 8 ends equals 112 ends.
Compared to
11 games 10 ends 110 ends.

Makes way more sense.
Play everyone once

02-22-20 10:45PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by fresca

Scottie and brier used to fill the barn with regulars that went to e

I cant believe how many of my friends are still taking trips - 30 relatives and 20 plus close friends traveling to phx , africa , texas , hawaii , palm desert , , naples fl, in next week - i am careful to avoid people already

Soon the crowds will be like italy 2006 - nil

Wise move to stay right where you are for the time being. Also, you get to watch the Brier next week.

02-22-20 10:55PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

I watched the cdn juniors, and the other cdn national events where in the seeded pools, all games matter for the first goal: Qualify for the Championship Pool. Check. #DidIt. Then the focus is on the next goal: Qualify for the Playoffs. Check. #DidIt. Nobody wants meaningless games, so every game in Pools A and B matter. Every game, and there were upsets. The lower seeded teams had their effect on the outcome, by winning a few games. In the Juniors (and I think others) there is a Seeding Pool, where the weaker teams playoff for ranking. I don't think that is useful for the Scotties/Brier. But the staged goals: Step 1. Step 2. I think it is an okay system.

02-23-20 05:58PM
EndTheProvinces is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EndTheProvinces Find more posts by EndTheProvinces Add EndTheProvinces to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EndTheProvinces
Knee-Slider

National Championship

So, I've been viewing this debate from a distance, and while I understand the tradition surrounding the Brier and Scotties, I think that there are still too many teams that attending our national championship that have virtually zero chance at becoming the champion.

The fields at this year's events are both very strong, with a number of top teams attending, but there are still some gaps. The number one women's team in the country was eliminated from the national championship in a one-game playoff simply because she happened to play out of the same province that had the #2 and #3 women's teams in the country.

Having said that, the Brier/Scotties are viewed not only as a national championship, but also as a celebration of curling across the country, so simply grabbing the best teams on tour has the potential to take away from that. So, the key is to find some sort of balance.

With that in mind, I would propose a return to the round robin format, with 12 teams getting the opportunity:

Defending Champion (aka Team Canada)
Canada Cup Winner
CTRS #1 Ranked Team
CTRS #2 Ranked Team
CTRS #3 Ranked Team
Host Province's Provincial Champion
BC/Alberta Regional Champion
Manitoba/Saskatchewan Regional Champion
Ontario (including Northern Ontario)/Quebec Regional Champion
Maritimes Regional Champion
Territories Regional Champion
Last Chance Qualifier*

*The last chance tournament would include the 5 regional runners-up, the top CTRS team not to qualify, an invited team of the host committee's choice, and last year's Canadian Junior champion.

If we could (ideally) feasibly have a 14 team round robin, I would add the CTRS #4 ranked team and a second team from the last chance tournament.

Now, given that the provincial organizations hold the balance of power at Curling Canada, this format change is unlikely to ever take place (it's the same reason that Northern Ontario isn't going away anytime soon).

Regardless, it is fun to dream.

02-23-20 09:56PM
RMc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for RMc Click here to Send RMc a Private Message Find more posts by RMc Add RMc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RMc
Knee-Slider

Re: National Championship

quote:
Originally posted by EndTheProvinces

With that in mind, I would propose a return to the round robin format, with 12 teams getting the opportunity:

Defending Champion (aka Team Canada)
Canada Cup Winner
CTRS #1 Ranked Team
CTRS #2 Ranked Team
CTRS #3 Ranked Team
Host Province's Provincial Champion
BC/Alberta Regional Champion
Manitoba/Saskatchewan Regional Champion
Ontario (including Northern Ontario)/Quebec Regional Champion
Maritimes Regional Champion
Territories Regional Champion
Last Chance Qualifier*

*The last chance tournament would include the 5 regional runners-up, the top CTRS team not to qualify, an invited team of the host committee's choice, and last year's Canadian Junior champion.

If we could (ideally) feasibly have a 14 team round robin, I would add the CTRS #4 ranked team and a second team from the last chance tournament.

Excuse me while I throw up in my mouth a little bit.

As someone from a so-called have-not province, this would lose me for good. Why not just award the World's spot to the winner of the Canada cup? Or a random slam event. This wouldn't be the Brier/Scotties.
Does the winner of the sask/toba region get to wear nice green/yellow jackets?

If we're really going to do this, change dates, and have the Brier/Scottie winner join the top 6 ctrs teams for the Canada Cup to decide a world's Rep.. Still ruins the the event.

I don't understand the hate from the pools. Every game matters, the CCA gets to save money on hotels and TSN doesn't have to waste their precious TV games on NB vs PEI... Lord knows they only have so many.

My take is get rid of "wildcard" and add team "underdog" the 2nd place team of the host province, maybe this gets some butts into the seats..
Every year the best teams are around at the end, so what does it all matter in the end? The best games this week were watching nunavut making teams sweat.

Make it ctrs based and we lose great stories like PEI, NOnt, NS, etc. and we just give it to Manitoba every year.