Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Brier 2018

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 5 of 7 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-09-18 11:47AM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
McEwen coming off as a provincial embarrassment - a sad sack skip who's too pooped to pop. Team has abandoned him for all intents and purposes - allowing them to be eaten alive by the Jacobs gang.

That group won't be curling together next year. The Neufelds might try to form their own team - I think BJ is still salvageable - not a great curling mind but a great hitter (where have I heard that one before?)

McEwen might be able to cobble forward with some fresh juniors looking for a "proven" skip - although at this point McEwen is a "broken" man.

With McEwen broken, Reid faltering, Jamie not really a threat and the possibility of Epping going into slump there exists a strong possibility of a FINAL 4 featuring - Gushue, Jacobs, Bottcher & Dunstone

Dunstone might have to battle thru a tie-breaker if he doesn't win out - but that team is young and bullish enough to do that - especially if he only has to beat Reid, Epping or Jamie.

Not all Mike's fault - he was really ill coming off the Manitoba championships - still has poor liver levels and he's become exhausted in Regina - but BJ hasn't been much help and Matt looks like he's ready to explode even more than he has!
I said they wouldn't win any more games - but knowing they're dead duckies - they just might be able to sum up enough shots tonite to snuff out Reid's dream for bronze!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-09-18 12:13PM
BMalc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BMalc Click here to Send BMalc a Private Message Find more posts by BMalc Add BMalc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BMalc
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:

I'm not saying they're bad. Actually, they were quite refreshing today. . . . . Cathy is far more assertive than Cheryl - who always seems to wait for her cues from Russ. Obviously Bryan isn't at the level of Vic Rauter as a professional broadcaster (Vic is older than water, Bryan is fairly green) but he does a good workmanlike job in the 2 man crew situation . . . .

They might want to elevate Cathy Go to their #1 crew next season - she's clearly superior to Cheryl but Cheryl has more of a national profile. Next year they'll have a few retired girls to chose from - ie. Sherri Middaugh, Sherri Singler, Jill Officer, etc.

Cathy and Bryan are brutal. Cathy has verbal diarrhea. Both constantly talk over the players discussions. They might as well not mike the players in the morning.
Her analysis states the obvious or is totally wrong. Several times this week she mentioned a double attempt that would leave the thrown rock buried. Given the angle of the target rocks, there was no what the thrown rock would end up buried, which is what happened every time.
Give me Cheryl and Russ any day. They discuss alternatives to shots and the results each would produce.

03-09-18 12:25PM
irvinm1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for irvinm1 Find more posts by irvinm1 Add irvinm1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
irvinm1
Harvey Hacksmasher

What is this "placement draw" of the lower ranked teams currently on Friday morning? Not seeing anything on the Brier website about it.

03-09-18 01:33PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by irvinm1
What is this "placement draw" of the lower ranked teams currently on Friday morning? Not seeing anything on the Brier website about it.
Finalizes who finished 9-16. For $$$ payouts and points towards the various cups that are handed out to the MA's in the off-season.

03-09-18 01:56PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

Anybody see Gushue yelling at Gallant that he had to hit the other rock first (when he tried to double off the Sask guards last night.) I get it Brad, Gallant hit the wrong rock first and you had to throw him under the bus on national tv because perish the thought you might have called the wrong strategy. I really don't see how Gushue has a much better reputation as a "nice guy" than others. He is smug and self-serving.

03-09-18 03:41PM
BMalc is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BMalc Click here to Send BMalc a Private Message Find more posts by BMalc Add BMalc to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BMalc
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Three
Anybody see Gushue yelling at Gallant that he had to hit the other rock first (when he tried to double off the Sask guards last night.) I get it Brad, Gallant hit the wrong rock first and you had to throw him under the bus on national tv because perish the thought you might have called the wrong strategy. I really don't see how Gushue has a much better reputation as a "nice guy" than others. He is smug and self-serving.

One of the best posts I've seen in a long time. It's not the first time he's called out a teammate on the ice. I guess he forgot who single handedly brushed his last shot to a Brier win last year.

03-09-18 03:59PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the thing about brad is he's very passionate. i know a lot of guys are but brad is just really competitive. i've met him in person and he's such a nice guy. he's just one of those people who, when they get out there it's all the competition. when he gets frustrated it shows. the guys in front of him know that. if he was as bad as some people think there's no way anyone would put up with him for a significant period of time.

brad wants this badly. last night was just a bad reaction to a mistake.

03-09-18 04:02PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

the 4 loss teams are still alive. they need bottcher to lose both his games to epping and jacobs, which is definitely possible. then they need to win out. mcewen had a tough loss yesterday. combine that with not enough time to get over it and they came out flat against jacobs

but i trust they'll put yesterday behind them and come out knowing they aren't out yet .

the only team mathematically eliminated in the championship pool at this point is nova scotia.

03-09-18 05:27PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
the 4 loss teams are still alive. they need bottcher to lose both his games to epping and jacobs, which is definitely possible. then they need to win out. mcewen had a tough loss yesterday. combine that with not enough time to get over it and they came out flat against jacobs

but i trust they'll put yesterday behind them and come out knowing they aren't out yet .

the only team mathematically eliminated in the championship pool at this point is nova scotia.

While McEwen & Reid aren't mathematically done - they may as well be. One of them might be able to slither into a tie-breaker for 4th spot - but I don't like either ones chances against any of the Top 3 or 4 teams at this event. Neither can stand up to Gushue, Jacobs, not even Botchcub or Johnny Ace.

03-09-18 06:34PM
CURLER1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CURLER1 Click here to Send CURLER1 a Private Message Find more posts by CURLER1 Add CURLER1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CURLER1
Drawmaster

quote:

While McEwen & Reid aren't mathematically done - they may as well be. One of them might be able to slither into a tie-breaker for 4th spot - but I don't like either ones chances against any of the Top 3 or 4 teams at this event. Neither can stand up to Gushue, Jacobs, not even Botchcub or Johnny Ace.

Also, Manitoba plays McEwen tonight - so another loss for one of them.

03-09-18 06:50PM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
too many posters on here appear to have more opinion than ability - or class

anyone who has ever played at a high level never uses the word choke or runs down a player or team over a bad shot or a couple of losses ..

quit posting like your a former champions - your anonymous -- doesnt mean you have to be classless..

they drag out this brier then give a team 2 hours between games - the whole system is designed to get multiple winners for tv

3 teams can still make the final 4 - the ones that dont , can easily win $100,000 in a slam next week

none of them should break up - no one posting on here could ever beat any of these teams - some of you wouldnt score in 100 end game

This brier topic should have 60,000 hits. - doubt that anyone needs to read the snarky stuff we get here

My opinion .

03-09-18 08:40PM
BMalc
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
the thing about brad is he's very passionate. i know a lot of guys are but brad is just really competitive. i've met him in person and he's such a nice guy. he's just one of those people who, when they get out there it's all the competition. when he gets frustrated it shows. the guys in front of him know that. if he was as bad as some people think there's no way anyone would put up with him for a significant period of time.

brad wants this badly. last night was just a bad reaction to a mistake.

Everybody out there is highly competitive.Which skip doesn't want it badly? He called out a team mate in front of everyone. This is not the first time he's done it. Gallant knows he made a mistake. He doesn't have to be centred out. Having played with many competitive skips, I've never had one do this to me. BTW, 99% are nice guys off the ice.

03-09-18 08:42PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by BMalc

Everybody out there is highly competitive.Which skip doesn't want it badly? He called out a team mate in front of everyone. This is not the first time he's done it. Gallant knows he made a mistake. He doesn't have to be centred out. Having played with many competitive skips, I've never had one do this to me. BTW, 99% are nice guys off the ice.

yeah, but in the heat of the moment people do make mistakes.

03-09-18 10:50PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

enjoyable win by botcher

would like to see new blood with epping v botcher final

seldom predict right thou !

03-09-18 11:19PM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Moulding & Bottcher will be OK. They're young bucks, finding their way in a man's game. Mostly even keel, the thing that hurts them is rather abrupt decision-making & not enough completed shots.

Obviously they wouldn't be here if Koe had competed for the Alberta title.

I suspect they'll be back at this thing a few more times - at least!

As for misty's comments about Epping & Reid -

1. Epping has really never broken thru - he's here because Glenn Howard has hit the end of the trail. But I don't think he's a complete choke artist. He'll find a way to rally.

2. Reid is very good. Fortunate to have the best 3rd in this event in Giant Moskowy. Great brushers and superb team attitude. Reid will have to crash to earth for this group to miss the semi-finals.

Almost my best predictions ever . . . . Goo finishing on top a foregone conclusion . . .

Had Jacobs sliding into the 2-spot but key injury to #1 brush man Ryan Harden relegates Brad to the 3-4 match.

As predicted Epping rallied. Bottcher stepped up before his time and now presents the most clear and present danger to Gushue going back to back Brier wins.

Reid crashed. Badly.

Mikey lost one too many games - has a solid alibi vis a vis the chicken pox.

Its all gravy here on!

03-09-18 11:57PM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by fresca
enjoyable win by botcher

would like to see new blood with epping v botcher final

seldom predict right thou !

classy.

03-10-18 07:51AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

John really gave brad all he could handle in that game. now they get the immediate re-match in the 1 v. 2 game. alberta v.s northern ontario in the 3.v s 4 game

i'm with fresca. i hope to see ontario v.s alberta final. unfortunately i'm still thinking it'll be canada v.s northern ontario or canada v.s somebody else but hopefully i'm wrong.

03-10-18 09:59AM
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

Handicapping Brier Final 4

3 x 4 --- Classic Wolf vs. Cub matchup; key question is whether the wolves (Jacobs) show up hungry cuz the cubs have been experimenting with wolf meat all week long. Ryan Harnden is a big miss for Jacobs if he can't go - Horgan looked gassed w/ EJ trying to work a double-shift.

1 vs. 2 ----- Curling's Bobby Fisher (Gushue) vs. The Man Nobody Thought Possible ---- Epping is having the week of his life - but he still lost 2 games during r.r. play and McEwen should have bested him a 3rd. At their best the Goo4Gold guys are unbeatable - can they stay the course. Don't get into 3-D chess with Brad Gushue.

If form chart holds - Goo should take down Epping in a barn-burner; while the Alberta Panda Cubs break down a Ryan Harnden free Jacobs gang.

SEMI - Epping vs. Bottcher is too close to call; might come down to who has hammer in 1st end (LRFE)

FINAL - Gushue would have to beat Epping 3 times to win his 2nd straight Brier - that's a huge chore but in Goo-Land everything's possible.
Gushue vs. Bottcher is a classic East/West final - Young louts vs. middle-aged guys.

03-10-18 12:52PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Unless Gushue wins this year, the pool NL is in next year it will be the pool of death based on the poor seeding results that young Smith put up ( of course Brad may retire).
Smith needs to cool down his theatrics. Good entertainment when you are winning but no replacement for talent.

03-10-18 02:38PM
drawthepin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for drawthepin Click here to Send drawthepin a Private Message Find more posts by drawthepin Add drawthepin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drawthepin
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by decade
Unless Gushue wins this year, the pool NL is in next year it will be the pool of death based on the poor seeding results that young Smith put up ( of course Brad may retire).
Smith needs to cool down his theatrics. Good entertainment when you are winning but no replacement for talent.

Fairly certain for the Brier and Scotties, next years pools are not based on this years results

03-10-18 04:43PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Click here to Send IN-OFF-FOR-2 a Private Message Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by drawthepin

Fairly certain for the Brier and Scotties, next years pools are not based on this years results

Then why would they bother with that "placement" game for the teams 9-16?

03-10-18 05:33PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Brutal Bottcher and getting zero help from Moulding. Surprised the score is still close.

03-10-18 05:58PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Botcher makes THE most perfect double in Brier history

A 1/111116 th of an inch either way he misses ...

And a nice smile
Go get em tiger

03-10-18 06:16PM
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Then a perfect draw in 11

I’m all misty eyed

Love the brier !!!!

03-10-18 06:16PM
EPMD is offline Click Here to See the Profile for EPMD Click here to Send EPMD a Private Message Find more posts by EPMD Add EPMD to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
EPMD
Harvey Hacksmasher

Bottcher is really good. His team needs to provide better support, but wow, Bottcher really pulled out that quarterfinal on his own.

Also, Team Jacobs really botched the 10th end lead rocks. Not sure why they staggered two in the house. Big mistake.