Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 4 of 8 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-28-16 08:57PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by curlky

Hasnt he been a skip twice in teh Olympics (2010 & 2014)? While not exactly the worlds, the Olympics are basically equal to the Worlds. How did he fair in his two Olympic Skipping experiences?

He has but again they're experiences that are 4 years apart. The pressure of playing at a high level can't be replicated very well in practice. You have to go out there and do it and for Shuster, he's been to International competitions fairly sporadically and it's this experience he's needed more of.

You need to remember there are several high level Canadian skips who have been labeled "chokers" until they got the experience and did it a few times, who went on to win World Championships.

Some players naturally perform under these high pressure situations and some need to experience it a few times before they can excel in it. I see John becoming a player who can learn from his past experiences and use them to be better under pressure in these situation.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-28-16 10:26PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Can anybody PLEASE tell me if the Meyers Rule (2 loss provision) applies to Men's and Women's?

01-29-16 12:17AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Can anybody PLEASE tell me if the Meyers Rule (2 loss provision) applies to Men's and Women's?

It does not apply to Men's and Women's Nationals.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

01-29-16 09:25AM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I'm calling that we have a combination of the old guard and new guard in the playoffs...

Shuster, Heater, Dropkin and Clawson in the final four (in what order? beats me...I'm playin the box here).

Shuster ends up as the World Rep, deservedly so as he takes the title...

01-29-16 10:10AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I got you down, Alan. Trifecta box keying Face on top with bombs underneath.

MacNeil likes the Junior teams here. Me? Not so much. When Juniors face older teams, they pretty much have to prove it to me first by beating them regularly through the year. It's a big step up. Mistakes you can get away with suddenly turn very important.

I'm not saying that they aren't talented or aren't great kids or don't have a very bright future. I'm just saying that it would mildly surprise me. I'd love it if one or both mildly surprise me. Playoffs or not, they have a wonderful opportunity to grow.

The Ladies' side is a different story. That Junior team has shown they can beat the Women.

I feel just terrible. Earlier, some Eastie asked if a Junior team making it to Men's Nationals happened very often. There was a very good young team out of Madison that was coached by Mark "Giz" Hartman. I called their game in Philly, but the names escape me. They twice came through the Challenge Round to earn a berth. Once they beat Boo Boo Birr on his home Mankato ice to get a spot. Very good team with excellent teamwork. I think the lead ended up curling out of Potomac. The skip and third shot front end for Erik Fenson for a year or two.

Somebody help me out and remind me of their names. Lordy, I'm slipping. I don't keep files like I used to when the TESN guys would treat me like a slave.

Ben Tucker

01-29-16 10:39AM
youngen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for youngen Click here to Send youngen a Private Message Find more posts by youngen Add youngen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
I got you down, Alan. Trifecta box keying Face on top with bombs underneath.

MacNeil likes the Junior teams here. Me? Not so much. When Juniors face older teams, they pretty much have to prove it to me first by beating them regularly through the year. It's a big step up. Mistakes you can get away with suddenly turn very important.

I'm not saying that they aren't talented or aren't great kids or don't have a very bright future. I'm just saying that it would mildly surprise me. I'd love it if one or both mildly surprise me. Playoffs or not, they have a wonderful opportunity to grow.

The Ladies' side is a different story. That Junior team has shown they can beat the Women.

I feel just terrible. Earlier, some Eastie asked if a Junior team making it to Men's Nationals happened very often. There was a very good young team out of Madison that was coached by Mark "Giz" Hartman. I called their game in Philly, but the names escape me. They twice came through the Challenge Round to earn a berth. Once they beat Boo Boo Birr on his home Mankato ice to get a spot. Very good team with excellent teamwork. I think the lead ended up curling out of Potomac. The skip and third shot front end for Erik Fenson for a year or two.

Somebody help me out and remind me of their names. Lordy, I'm slipping. I don't keep files like I used to when the TESN guys would treat me like a slave.

Ben Tucker

Team Morton

Good, fun kids. I remember getting to talk with them a little in the player's suite at the hotel in Philly.

01-29-16 10:43AM
youngen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for youngen Click here to Send youngen a Private Message Find more posts by youngen Add youngen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ok, I had to look up the names of 2 of them before I posted, as I only remembered half the team...

Blake Morton, Marcus Fonger, Tommy Juszczyk, Calvin Weber

01-29-16 11:27AM
mattrhames is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mattrhames Click here to Send mattrhames a Private Message Find more posts by mattrhames Add mattrhames to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattrhames
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
Something to consider, John Shuster has only been to Worlds as a skip twice. Back in 2009 and then again last year. This is not a lot of experience at that level, but they reached tiebreakers both years.

Should John be able to finish the job again this year and it's looking really good, they'll be going in with more experience that should set them up for success.

Many other countries send experienced opponents with the limited number of elite teams in their countries and being there before is an advantage.

I'll add this from the arm chair: IMHO, success in Curling comes down to two things:

1. Repeatability. Curling is a classic Scottish repeatable game. Like the driving range, to win at this game, one needs to throw hundreds of draws. Practice.

What one can't practice, is throwing draws in context. As Gerry says, there's an advantage to being there, and the advantage is in repeating the shot. The advantage of playing spiels in Canada is playing on ice that will more-likely represent ice at the worlds, and playing pressure shots. One could throw hundreds of rocks at their curling club, and one should, but since the ice might not be scraped, or fast, or swingy, that is only one part of preparation. Yes, talking to someone helps with jitters. But they'll tell you to draw on shot catalogues. Only way to do that is having shots in context.

2. Strategy. This is where things get squishy. As yourself, why do the usual suspects win curling games? Is it because they have the first part locked up better than the second? Maybe. IMHO, It is because there are moments in curling ends when making the wrong shot costs you more points than missing. There is often a better shot in an end, and having watched him, John knows them.

Playing 90% in a ten end games means two missed shots. 80% means 4. How you miss, and how you make shots goes a long way towards success. That also comes from watching games, seeing patterns, learning what to do, and what not to do. Knowing where to put the rock when you're drawing to sit three on skips first. Knowing where not to put it. You can't practice that. But this is 2016, and we have the Internet. So watch games and talk to coaches/players/people.

Back to the arm chair.

01-29-16 12:14PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Hames? I thought he was dead. Last I heard, he walked away from Gemmell/Stopera to focus on his career. Just as well. The way he'd take his eyes off the broom and look at his release at the last second drove me nuts. He seldom missed the broom, but it drove me nuts. My sanity is a fragile thing.

Blake Morton! Sorry about the memory lapse, curlingzone. Very comparable to the Clawson team. The cheeseheads were probably more advance on hitting, strategy and experience, but the Easties have the touch. Both teams have a key component: They were both coached by great guys who teach more than strategy and delivery. Both coaches teach communication and teamwork and that character supersedes wins...although neither teams needed help with that last one.

So I'm glad Hames isn't dead and that the Morton rink isn't forgotten and that the Clawson rink is packed with talent. Maybe Hames will get out of his armchair someday and curl or coach or get a Senior team cranked up (45 years old now???). Who am I to talk? My armchair feels pretty good.

Ben Tucker

02-03-16 03:44PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

CRITICALLY IMPORTANT ASPECT TO THIS YEAR'S NATIONALS:

The paths to the next Olympic Trials are few and narrow. 1 (and only 1) team can get in by finishing extremely high in the Order of Merit. Another 1 (and only 1) can qualify by finishing extremely high on the OOM Year-To-Date standings. (Top 15 for both)

The rest of the field for our Olympic Trials will be selected by the HPP.

Since the "earn your own way" paths border on the impossible, it then becomes mandatory for any team with Olympic dreams to put themselves in the forefront of USA curling and to do so immediately.

Yes, the Trials will be in November of 2017, but if you have the dream it's time to start planning. Only 3 to 5 teams of each gender will be allowed. Here is the plan:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Curling/...m-Trials-update

Ben Tucker

02-03-16 03:52PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

So you can win our National Championships both this year and next and not even get an INVITE to compete for the Olympic Slot?

That sounds an *AWFUL* lot like a violation of the Stevens Act (which allegedly guarantees that international sports representatives are to be determined on the Field of Play.

Admittedly, even I, who have about as low an opinion of the administration of the HPP as is possible, doubt that they'd be stupid enough to not have the 2 time defending National Champion in the HPP...I notice that Shuster got invited to the HPP pretty damned quickly once he won Nationals...but for there to even be a *possibility* of it is beyond the pale.

Allow Open Competition. The system works, if you allow it to. Yep, occasionally someone will rise up and then lay an egg at World's or the Olympics...guess what? That still happens with the HPP.

02-03-16 05:09PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Whether you like eligibiilty criteria to enter or not alanmacniel, this format will still have our rep be determined on the field of play.

02-03-16 06:50PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I must wonder about your definition of "determined on the field of play", curlky.

If you clicked the link and read it all, you'll notice that a Top 5 finish at Worlds will also qualify a team automatically. It's not that the HPP (all the decision makers are listed in the article) declare that only their players will play. They do leave room for teams to meet standards. Granted, unreasonably high standards...but there are paths.

Note also that the field size will be 3 to 5 teams for each gender. So it's likely that a non-HPP team or two will be invited.

The dream need not be dead for those outside the HPP. The standards are just very high. You'll need to be a dedicated team; hopefully with access to travel/entry money. Erika Brown's team would have achieved it this year. Face Team would have been very close last year on points and did get Top 5 at Worlds. You can also just do very, very well.

My point was not to start a debate about access to The Trials. My point was that Jacksonville is an important start to the process. For those not curling in Jacksonville, either get into the HPP or hit the ground running next fall.

Ben Tucker

02-04-16 11:55AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

The HPP staff, coaches and advisory committee are not stupid people. Nor do they hate curling. Quite the opposite; they are smart and they love curling and only want what is best for USA curling.

True, some people (like myself and dbsdbs and many others, sometimes ad nauseam) totally disagree with the direction of the program, but that doesn't mean that the people running it are unredeemable.

For instance:

Since its inception, the HPP has been faced with the Self-formed/Handpicked team dilemma. Handpicked can get you a bunch of talent. Self-formed gets you chemistry and the ability to weather the tough stretches.

To their credit, they've eased towards the Self-formed way of thinking. Face Team insisted upon being accepted in total and they quickly agreed. Fenson's squad, until the departure of Brunt and the addition of Smitty, was largely the team that Pete would form. Brownie has kept Kroy.

So we can go back to making bad bets on Jacksonville and leaving HPP plans for next month. I didn't mean to distract the conversation.

Ben Tucker

02-05-16 08:38AM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

I know one thing to the degree that I'm not even betting on it, I'm just saying it...

There's gonna be a *LOT* of US government workers/contractors watching TESN Wednesday at 10AM for the Clawson v Shuster match.

Nothing like making your TESN US nationals debut on the big stage against the biggest dog in US curling at the moment...

PCC sent our half of team Clawson off with best wishes and good cheer last night...they're as ready as they're gonna be.

02-06-16 12:22AM
peglegg is offline Click Here to See the Profile for peglegg Find more posts by peglegg Add peglegg to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
peglegg
Hitting Paint

All the more reason why the current regime must be changed out sooner rather than later. Never a fan of adding to the ranks of the unemployed but maybe this one wouldn't count.

02-06-16 05:42PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Dropkin Brown, 4th end, Dropkins Vice, second rock. Ended up with 2 dropkin players sweeping behind the Tee. Isnt that a violation of some sort?

02-06-16 06:36PM
ptg13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ptg13 Click here to Send ptg13 a Private Message Visit ptg13's homepage! Find more posts by ptg13 Add ptg13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ptg13
Harvey Hacksmasher

A good read:

https://glenmckenna.wordpress.com/2.../the-nationals/

02-07-16 12:02PM
ref_hater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ref_hater Click here to Send ref_hater a Private Message Find more posts by ref_hater Add ref_hater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ref_hater
Harvey Hacksmasher

Strategy Lesson from Craig Brown

I loved watching the strategy which Craig Brown played in draw 1 against Dropkin. He played very defensive and was comfortable playing for a blank until Dropkin's team made a mistake and then would take his two. That is perfect round robin strategy to ensure he wins the games he should to qualify. Great job Craig!

02-07-16 05:42PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oh, no. Ref Hater is back to bang his Boring Strategy drum again. Yes, NFL teams should establish and stick to the run in order to set up the pass...but we don't care. Throw the damn ball and throw it deep.

True, when you have a team outclassed, keeping it simple reduces the Luck Factor and the Upset Potential. However, you'll find that about 47 of the top 50 Men's teams in the world are very aggressive. Top teams find a style that fits them. Sometimes they will change it up for the team they are facing that day, but you seldom see that.

The link ptg posted was a good read. I always enjoy snarky writing if it's funny. It sure looks like the wrong year for him to write about the points/worlds thing. Face Team and Team Erika With a K are having such great years, they make the unwise policy look positively Solomon-esque.

I do totally disagree with his thought that playing Nationals in non-curling areas is reaching too far by half. Olympic Trials were in Denver and Denver now has dedicated ice. Fargo has a new club. Dedicated sheets near Philly. Jacksonville is a much better choice than Phoenix because Phoenix already has new sheets. If they need help increasing interest (I hear they don't), then a Phoenix arena should be arranged in the near future.

Early crowd size in Jacksonville has vastly exceeded (admitted low) expectations. It always comes down to one thing: Arena staff. If the sales people are really good, Nationals will be a roaring success.

Watching Face vs B Bunch. I don't want to jinx anybody, but it's a great game so far. B Bunch are really putting on a clinic with the new Directional Sweeping. Both thirds (Tyler "TyGer" George and Greg "Pooh Bear" Persinger) are really putting on a show. Pooh Persinger (for the record, I did not give him that name) is really impressing me today.

Ben Tucker

02-07-16 06:47PM
ref_hater is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ref_hater Click here to Send ref_hater a Private Message Find more posts by ref_hater Add ref_hater to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ref_hater
Harvey Hacksmasher

Congrats Brady

It is great to see Brady and his team curling well so far, and with a big and deserved win over Shuster. I hope it is sustained the rest of the week! Brady forced John to attempt some precise draws and freezes, and John wasn't quite sharp enough. I'm not sure most of the field can execute well enough to put John in similar positions the rest of the week, but I will enjoy watching.

TESN coverage has been great.

Tuck, sorry for having an opinion. I guess you are too used to being "boss" over these forums to allow any diverse commentary and opinions from others? Why are you so sensitive? Chill out. I don't personally attack anyone, least of all someone posting a valid opinion on these forums. I critique curling performance and strategy. I would hope you could be a better representative of curling spirit. Be nice. If you disagree with my commentary, why? No need for insults.

02-07-16 06:50PM
ref_hater
Harvey Hacksmasher

Boring Strategy?

Strategy is the heart of curling, and much like sweeping, is the difference between good and great, or great and elite.

Strategy as a strength or weakness is just as important as execution. Not everyone has either nor both ability.

02-07-16 11:23PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Sorry, Ref Hater. I was aiming for "cute" or "funny". I missed. Didn't mean to be insulting.

And now I have to hang around the Men's thread where my pick is doing very well. I have to avoid the Women's thread where my picks just dropped two games to the HPP teams.

Ben Tucker

02-08-16 11:23AM
youngen
Harvey Hacksmasher

Ref-hater,

You really need to meet Tuck. Have a drink with him and watch one game while talking to him and you will never read anything he posts the same again. You'll see the "funny" and "cute" commentary along with some sarcastic wit, and never insulting.

02-08-16 02:07PM
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

Lookin at the young kids' performance so far...

We're in *really* good hands for 2022...and I'm already pondering asking Tuck for a futures bet on the Clawsons at World Juniors next year (yeah, I know, betting on Juniors sends you to hell...I've already got a deluxe cauldron lined up :p )

Both Dropkin and Clawson at 2-2, both with significant scalps (Dropkin over Fenson, Clawson over McCormick)...it's almost looking like thier last draw matchup may have playoff implications.