Like CurlingZone on Facebook

Welcome to CurlingZone, Guest!   Register Now!    
Already a member?   Login:              Forgot Password?
ProCurlingWear - Create Your Design
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
albetts
Drawmaster

Pre Qualifier

Read this today and thought I'd post it. I'm glad this decision was reached for these curlers. It's from TSN morning mail.

http://www.tsn.ca/curling-s-cruel-p...lifier-1.670548

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 02-14-17 08:44AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Well, two pools of eight it is then, beginning next year. I wonder how they will seed them. Team Canada doesn't seem to do as much curling - although I might be wrong - I will assume their CTRS points are in the pack with the rest of them and seeding will be straight forward. Did the men's championship go the same route?

And here's a cute story about curling couples - scotties and brier bound. Valentines day thingy. http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/c...national-events

Last edited by nelski on 02-14-17 at 09:12AM

Old Post 02-14-17 08:59AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

im glad they are getting rid of the pre-qualifier but i'll never be okay with awarding a team a spot based on ctrs standings.

this whole pre-qualifying thing has just been a mess, a disaster really. teams dont deserve to get treated like that, basically ignored unless they get into the main event.

Old Post 02-14-17 09:15AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

they should seed based on this years finish with those 3 teams at the bottom

Old Post 02-14-17 01:07PM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

if koe does not win and gets back next year he should be seeded on Bottchers finish

Old Post 02-14-17 01:14PM
darkwing01 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for darkwing01 Click here to Send darkwing01 a Private Message Find more posts by darkwing01 Add darkwing01 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Justintwiss
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
im glad they are getting rid of the pre-qualifier but i'll never be okay with awarding a team a spot based on ctrs standings.

this whole pre-qualifying thing has just been a mess, a disaster really. teams dont deserve to get treated like that, basically ignored unless they get into the main event.

Agree with not being a fan of the CTRS entry and the pre qualifying. Glad to see it gone for next year.

I do like the Team Canada addition but to make an even draw could the get rid of Canada and go 2 pools of 7? Every prov/ter gets 1 team. Then take the top 3 or 4 teams from each pool and do the champ pool and seed pool before the page playoffs?

Thoughts?

Old Post 02-14-17 02:49PM
Justintwiss is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Justintwiss Click here to Send Justintwiss a Private Message Find more posts by Justintwiss Add Justintwiss to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Justintwiss

Agree with not being a fan of the CTRS entry and the pre qualifying. Glad to see it gone for next year.

I do like the Team Canada addition but to make an even draw could the get rid of Canada and go 2 pools of 7? Every prov/ter gets 1 team. Then take the top 3 or 4 teams from each pool and do the champ pool and seed pool before the page playoffs?

Thoughts?

they wont be getting rid of canada , they just added it. if canada had not been introduced that maybe could have been a solution. but its all about making money for them and having a team canada is good for them in that regard. thats why they have added this new team , figuring it'll generate more money. there are a whole host of problems i can see because of this change.

i got to say though, im just concerned about what kind of changes may come in the future. you dont need to alter something that doesnt need fixing, it worked before. i can only imagine what they will do in the future

Last edited by misty1 on 02-14-17 at 04:53PM

Old Post 02-14-17 04:50PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tyren
Harvey Hacksmasher

it amazed me how Curling Canada screwed up a system that wasn't broken, all to include a team that doesn't have to playdown to get to the national. I think the main solution is to go back to the way it was and combine the territories, 3 teams total in the 3 playdowns this year... doesnt make sense to just let them go to the national.

10 provinces
3 extra (NONt, Canada, Terr.)

Just add two extra draws and you're good to go.

Old Post 02-14-17 05:08PM
tyren is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tyren Click here to Send tyren a Private Message Find more posts by tyren Add tyren to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Spending tax payer money and spending our club money on bringing three territories does not make any financial sense,
Giving associations with less than 40 curlers an equal vote at the CC table also does not make sense, Curling must be the only Canadian sport that allows every province/territory/hangers on like NO, to attend a Canadian championship,
Oh watch out here come the feel gooders with the " let's growth the game" line. Come on, be honest!

Old Post 02-14-17 06:24PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

After the Provncial playdowns are completed, the top 2 CTRS teams not qualified should advance to the Brier/Scotties and play a 1-game playoff on the opening draw for the last spot in the event. Those teams will be Tour teams who travel a lot and it wont be a hardship on them, and they will jump at the chance to get in after losing out in the provincials.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 02-14-17 08:29PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Gerry
After the Provncial playdowns are completed, the top 2 CTRS teams not qualified should advance to the Brier/Scotties and play a 1-game playoff on the opening draw for the last spot in the event. Those teams will be Tour teams who travel a lot and it wont be a hardship on them, and they will jump at the chance to get in after losing out in the provincials.

Now THERE is a good idea.

Old Post 02-14-17 08:47PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Click here to Send nelski a Private Message Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Manitoba Legend
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by nelski

Now THERE is a good idea.

I second that! Just do it for the women, too!

This year woulda been Val vs. JJ for the last spot!

A whole lot better than adding another fawn!

Old Post 02-14-17 08:51PM
Manitoba Legend is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Manitoba Legend Click here to Send Manitoba Legend a Private Message Find more posts by Manitoba Legend Add Manitoba Legend to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

I am not a fan of this birth in any way but it's going to happen and I have to make peace with that.

I do like your idea of how to it . it takes away the problems that are there with how curling Canada is gonna do it .it's actually a really good solution

Old Post 02-14-17 09:32PM
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

I second that! Just do it for the women, too!

This year woulda been Val vs. JJ for the last spot!

A whole lot better than adding another fawn!

If you look at the year to date total (ie. This season of 2016-17) it would have been JJ vs. Flaxey. I don't think curling Canada would use the two year running total but you never know.

On the men's side it would be Reid Carruthers vs John Epping.

Old Post 02-15-17 12:53AM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:

That would be an entertaining high-stakes game for sure. Great for the fans. But I cant see the teams involved being big on flying across the country to potentially play in one game and then go home. If that were in place this year, you'd be asking one of Epping or Carruthers to fly to Newfoundland for one game.

Old Post 02-15-17 09:32AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
darkwing01
Harvey Hacksmasher

just take the top team

Old Post 02-15-17 09:38AM
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

Anyone planning to be in St Catharines Thursday/Friday? Looking for a volunteer to geek the pre-qualifying games. Contact me at geek@curlinggeek.com

Old Post 02-15-17 10:05AM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curler2014
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

That would be an entertaining high-stakes game for sure. Great for the fans. But I cant see the teams involved being big on flying across the country to potentially play in one game and then go home. If that were in place this year, you'd be asking one of Epping or Carruthers to fly to Newfoundland for one game.

How many people on here feel Epping and Carruthers would fly to NFLD (paid for) to play one game for a chance to enter the main brier field. I can almost 100% guarantee you they wouldn't turn it down. Heck, I'd pay my own way or hold a fundraiser at my club to get me there if I was given a chance. This is why I have no issues with the pre qualifier in the first place. You have a chance... I'll take it if you don't want it.

Old Post 02-16-17 01:14PM
curler2014 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curler2014 Click here to Send curler2014 a Private Message Find more posts by curler2014 Add curler2014 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by darkwing01
just take the top team

The problem with taking the top team is you leave the door open for teams to throw a game to leave a team home. For example, Gushue being the top CTRS team knows he'd have a spot for sure, he could have just decided to throw his games in the final and allow a 2nd NL team to go, leaving what would have been Carruthers at home.

Gushue would have one less top ranked team to worry about and the worst thing would be that if Boland had won, it would certainly leave a lot of questions and taint their upset win.

It's always better to not put the players in a position where they can take an advantage by losing.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

Old Post 02-16-17 02:36PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:

The problem with taking the top team is you leave the door open for teams to throw a game to leave a team home. For example, Gushue being the top CTRS team knows he'd have a spot for sure, he could have just decided to throw his games in the final and allow a 2nd NL team to go, leaving what would have been Carruthers at home.

Gushue would have one less top ranked team to worry about and the worst thing would be that if Boland had won, it would certainly leave a lot of questions and taint their upset win.

It's always better to not put the players in a position where they can take an advantage by losing.

I'd like to think that we don't need to design a more-complicated-than-necessary qualification system just to negate the possibility of a team tanking a game.

Old Post 02-16-17 04:44PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by nelsosi

I'd like to think that we don't need to design a more-complicated-than-necessary qualification system just to negate the possibility of a team tanking a game.

Right on. Do teams really throw games??? I think not.

Old Post 02-16-17 04:49PM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Can the pre-qualifier games be viewed anywhere? Online? TV?

Old Post 02-16-17 04:52PM
Three
Swing Artist

quote:

This is an excellent argument to having some sort of play-in game(s).

Lets suppose Jones lost this year in Manitoba (which she did)...lets also pretend Homan is up by five points to Jones in this year's YTD pts (she actually trails Jones by just five points but has the two year lead). Now suppose for some reason Team Homan had another horrible Ontario final and lost to Julie Hastings this year. What a mess! Tainted wins and finger pointing galore on social media.

There is very little going on in the curling world the week before a Scotties or a Brier. I'd say take the top four points teams and let them shoot it out on the Saturday night with a semi-final & final a week before the event starts. Big ratings and "real" pressure games instead of all the skins game "fun". Hold it at a curling club with good ice and I'd watch for sure.

Old Post 02-16-17 05:05PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by albetts

Right on. Do teams really throw games??? I think not.

maybe not throw them but a couple of those bronze medal games at the brier/scotties have seemed like teams dont really care either way. so maybe they dont throw them but dont put 100% effort in

Old Post 02-16-17 05:06PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

i dont think a team would ever throw a game Gerry, especially not someone like brad, it seems like that would go against his very fiber.

but a teams focus might not be 100% there and therefor the upset happens without that top team actually throwing it.

of course in that situation, as you correctly pointed out the idea would be planted in a lot of people's minds anwyay

this is why i hate this birth because this issue is gonna come up a lot from now on.

Last edited by misty1 on 02-16-17 at 05:19PM

Old Post 02-16-17 05:10PM