W: Curl Saskatoon U21 Women's Junior Classic
M: WCT Austrian Mixed Doubles Cup
W: Rick Cotter Memorial Junior Women
W: Lady Monctonian Invitational Spiel
M: EJCT Oslo Junior Men
W: EJCT Oslo Junior Women
W: Stirling Wheelchair Curling International
Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

Curling Pick'em

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > Obituaries > Ian MacDonald March 6, 2016

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
06-18-16 09:08PM
fresca is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fresca Click here to Send fresca a Private Message Find more posts by fresca Add fresca to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fresca
Super Rockchucker

Ian MacDonald March 6, 2016

My friend Ian MacDonald passed away in March .

We curled together at Kelvin H S. in Winnipeg. the Granite Juniors, and many MCA Bonspiels. He was a real gentleman and great curler - following in his Father 's ( Donald Bruce MacDonald footsteps ). - winning most of his games and becoming a fine Minister. After graduation we did not see much of each other but years later he was the Minister at Westworth Church and he kindly, as always , agreed to marry Dee and me ...

Ian was someone that was always charming and friendly and had that special pressence that I still remember 40 years later.

There will be a Memorial Service for Ian , Friday , June 24th at 2 pm at St Augustine Church 444 River in Winnipeg.

There is a wonderful Obituary in the Vancouver Sun and a briiefer version in Saturdays Free Press if someone can do that link thing .

Kelly Moss

Last edited by fresca on 06-18-16 at 09:11PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

06-19-16 07:42AM
HotRocks is offline Click Here to See the Profile for HotRocks Find more posts by HotRocks Add HotRocks to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HotRocks
Drawmaster

Obit from The Province- BC

quote:
Kenneth Ian Macdonald— husband, father, brother, friend—lived his faith from the heart.
Ian was born to Donald Bruce and Nancy Macdonald in Saskatoon on the earliest date in history that the ice broke up on the South Saskatchewan. He shared life with imaginary friend Spalder until brother Jim and sister Cathy arrived to provide real company. As a p.k., he lived his life in several cities across the country.

From his first ministry in Winnipeg onward, Ian saw the Church not as a building but as community for peace, social justice and love.
An ordained minister, he retired from South Burnaby United Church in 2011; previously he had served in Winnipeg and Cartwright, Manitoba and across the country as part of the Common Cup Company.

Ian's love of melody, words, God and people, along with his soaring imagination, lead him to a life of creativity, compassion and community. He embraced laughter as a way of revealing and embodying the deep truths of the heart and soul. He was a source of wisdom and fountain of silliness.

There is a Celtic tradition that creation is simply God's laughter. When we laugh we move closer to God. Ian lived that truth.

In 2012, diagnosed with Lewy Body Dementia, Ian wrote of his struggles with its effects: "Since the disease affects the executive functions of the brain, I have difficulty making decisions. My family is afraid to leave me alone for any length of time for fear of decisions I might make." But he went on, "I am learning to trust that every moment is a blessing, even these moments. Love abides. I confess to you my fears about the way ahead but know these must be faced. I believe that there is still more life to bear and appreciate, more love to share and to speak."

Ian passed away on March 6, 2016 surrounded by Heather, sons Jamie, Rory and Derek, and lilting song. He lived and loved well, and was much loved in return. In God's good grace, love offers no farewells.

A memorial service has been held at South Burnaby United Church and another celebration of Ian's life will be held in Winnipeg in early summer.

In lieu of flowers, should you wish to recognize Ian's life, please do what you can share your gift of time or money to bring peace and justice to our world.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged