Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 4 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-23-16 01:19PM
CurlingGeek is offline Click Here to See the Profile for CurlingGeek Click here to Send CurlingGeek a Private Message Visit CurlingGeek's homepage! Find more posts by CurlingGeek Add CurlingGeek to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CurlingGeek
Swing Artist

2016 Canadian Juniors

Canadian Juniors are starting in Stratford, Ontario.

We've got geeks lined up for Newfoundland and BC, so expect lots of coverage of those two teams. First up NL vs ON for the women.

https://games.curlinggeek.com/broadcast/563

Last edited by CurlingGeek on 01-23-16 at 07:51PM

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-23-16 02:13PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

once again the joke CCA scoreboard isnt updating

01-23-16 05:09PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

that manitoba/nunavut mens game is outrageous. 33-1?

i think that rule about playing 8 ends should be reduced 6 . its not fair to make them keep playing. i cant see any benefit in it..of course they could have wanted to go on but i dont see the point in that either

01-23-16 05:18PM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

God forbid we let common sense over rule political correctness.

01-23-16 08:10PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ajay
God forbid we let common sense over rule political correctness. [/]

Well said...maybe the MB coach should have advised his team to play a bit more simpler...

01-23-16 09:18PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

A moral skip does not have to be told by his coach how to handle the situation.

01-23-16 09:55PM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Good point Decade

01-23-16 10:24PM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

i think that rule about playing 8 ends should be reduced 6 . its not fair to make them keep playing. i cant see any benefit in it..of course they could have wanted to go on but i dont see the point in that either

The team from Nunavut has very little experience on arena ice conditions and they're going to take every chance they can to gain experience and get better.

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

01-23-16 10:31PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

curling canada and associations

What about Curling Canada and the Associations in question just being realistic and saying, hey we're not ready yet, we'll let you know when we are. Yes it's all about federal funding and inclusion but is anyone benefiting from this schmozzle? Certainly not the teams getting beaten by 32 nor the teams winning. There should be something similar in place to the 10 run mercy rule in baseball. Stop the misery once there's a 10 point difference regardless of which end.
I have no problem with MB scoring that many points, the last thing you want to do is change your style of game which could possibly affect your game vs better opponents. Who knows, they may have just put rocks in the rings hoping they could hit them but couldn't. With a score this lopsided, the fault lies not with the kids on the ice but with those that allowed this to happen.

01-23-16 10:35PM
5thstone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for 5thstone Find more posts by 5thstone Add 5thstone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
5thstone
Hitting Paint

quote:

In junior zones in Thompson, MB a long time ago, my team got destroyed just as badly as Nunavut got beat by Manitoba.

I had the misfortune of skipping a team who was put together a couple of weeks before zones and had a bad coach. I was very solid skip and curler who even spared a few times with the Mens league. Due to some lack of communication, we didn't get any practice time before our first game. Our first opponent. A team which been to provincials for a few years in a row. They did solid when they were at provincials. It was game over in the 3rd end. My team didn't trust me in knowing the ice was very straight and fast. The other team coach motioned to the other skip to back off after the 3rd end. I was able to relax and be casual with the skip of the other team but trust me, I wanted to get off the ice and beat it.
The remaining two games I played were a lot closer but lost.

The rest of my curling year went well including winning the youth / adult bonspiel, playing 2nd with a team which was pretty much like having 4 skips. We destroyed our opponents we played against

Yeah, the mercy rule after its 10-0 nothing would be nice.

01-23-16 10:40PM
brycejmcewen is offline Click Here to See the Profile for brycejmcewen Click here to Send brycejmcewen a Private Message Find more posts by brycejmcewen Add brycejmcewen to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brycejmcewen
Swing Artist

This is what the people on the ice had to say after the game:

quote:
Their attitudes are unbelievable, said Dunstone. Obviously, things werent quite going their way out there, but they were having fun out there, there were always smiles on their faces. And the best part is that I was talking to their skip the whole game, we were having a good time. Its awesome to see them out here.

The scoreboard might only show one team met its expectations Saturday at the Stratford Rotary Complex in the opening draw of the 2016 Canadian Juniors. But, rest assured, both teams left the ice with smiles on their faces after Manitobas 33-1 victory.

Its only our fourth year, so my expectations are pretty realistic, said Siksik, 20, with a laugh. We were playing Manitoba. Manitoba! Geez! Theyre a great team.

Its putting things into perspective and realizing why we play the game, said Dunstone. These guys sure show that they love the game, and it kind of reminds our team that were having fun out here, playing for a national championship. Not everyone gets to do this, so have fun while youre at it.

Source: http://www.curling.ca/blog/2016/01/...nadian-juniors/

It sure seems like they enjoyed themselves out there.

Misty1, Curlerbroad and Decade, has it ever occurred to you that maybe the curlers from Nunavut visit this forum? It sure seems like they weren't embarrassed or felt bad after the game. It's terrible of you to come on here and tell them they should feel embarrassed and MB should feel bad. You weren't at the game, you don't know what shots were called, what shots were missed, or how many ends the were "forced" to play. Just because your egos couldn't handle it, doesn't mean they couldn't.

01-23-16 11:32PM
Jackman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackman Click here to Send Jackman a Private Message Find more posts by Jackman Add Jackman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackman
Knee-Slider

Exactly Bryce. This is a National Championship. You are going to use every shot available to you early in the competition to benefit your team as the event progresses. It is hard to take your foot off the pedal and intentionally throw rocks through/hog them or try to miss. This was certainly not done intentionally. Great article on this game btw.

01-23-16 11:33PM
Jackman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jackman Click here to Send Jackman a Private Message Find more posts by Jackman Add Jackman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jackman
Knee-Slider

PS: This has nothing to do with morals

01-24-16 07:56AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by brycejmcewen
This is what the people on the ice had to say after the game:

Source: http://www.curling.ca/blog/2016/01/...nadian-juniors/

It sure seems like they enjoyed themselves out there.

Misty1, Curlerbroad and Decade, has it ever occurred to you that maybe the curlers from Nunavut visit this forum? It sure seems like they weren't embarrassed or felt bad after the game. It's terrible of you to come on here and tell them they should feel embarrassed and MB should feel bad. You weren't at the game, you don't know what shots were called, what shots were missed, or how many ends the were "forced" to play. Just because your egos couldn't handle it, doesn't mean they couldn't.

oh give me a break.none of us came on here and insulted that team or said or implied anything derogatory about them or manitoba. if you are going top come on here and attack someone for a past they made then make sure they are saying what you are accusing them of.pretty terrible of you to come on here and run your fat mouth

Last edited by misty1 on 01-24-16 at 08:24AM

01-24-16 10:18AM
Gerry is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Gerry Click here to Send Gerry a Private Message Visit Gerry's homepage! Find more posts by Gerry Add Gerry to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gerry
CZ Founder

Re: curling canada and associations

quote:
Originally posted by IN-OFF-FOR-2
What about Curling Canada and the Associations in question just being realistic and saying, hey we're not ready yet, we'll let you know when we are. Yes it's all about federal funding and inclusion but is anyone benefiting from this schmozzle? Certainly not the teams getting beaten by 32 nor the teams winning. There should be something similar in place to the 10 run mercy rule in baseball. Stop the misery once there's a 10 point difference regardless of which end.
I have no problem with MB scoring that many points, the last thing you want to do is change your style of game which could possibly affect your game vs better opponents. Who knows, they may have just put rocks in the rings hoping they could hit them but couldn't. With a score this lopsided, the fault lies not with the kids on the ice but with those that allowed this to happen.

They have to start somewhere. This Nunavut team is also quite young, so they should have several years to improve upon their results.

If you want to see what playing means, check out Thomas Scoffin's progression from his first year to now. Playing games matters and not limiting them by way of a mercy rule means more time on the ice for these players too.

Thomas Scoffin - 2007 CDN Juniors:
http://www.curling.ca/wp-content/up...or_Men_2007.pdf

Please click on our sponsors' banners periodically, as visiting their sites helps keep CurlingZone.com Free!

01-24-16 01:28PM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:

oh give me a break.none of us came on here and insulted that team or said or implied anything derogatory about them or manitoba. if you are going top come on here and attack someone for a past they made then make sure they are saying what you are accusing them of.pretty terrible of you to come on here and run your fat mouth

Agreed, we never said they shouldn't play, only have a fairer way - I.e. a mercy rule as was suggested earlier.

01-24-16 08:06PM
ArcticCurler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for ArcticCurler Click here to Send ArcticCurler a Private Message Visit ArcticCurler's homepage! Find more posts by ArcticCurler Add ArcticCurler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ArcticCurler
Knee-Slider

The Nunavut Team is prepared for what they will face at Canadian Juniors. This is the only way that Nunavut will develop the sport and, in fact, I have heard they are at risk of losing all their clubs in the territory in the next 5 years.

The team does not want to shake after 6. In fact, they probably want to play the full 10 ends.

And yes, the team does visit this forum.

Saying rules should be changed implies the team should be ashamed of their results. I should never have to look at a child learning to curl and say, "You can never go to the Brier or Scotties, you live in Nunavut."

The truth is, you don't know the facts here, and comments like what have been posted only hamper our development as players quit.

Remember - the real losers are the ones who don't try.

01-25-16 09:37AM
Junior is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Junior Click here to Send Junior a Private Message Find more posts by Junior Add Junior to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Junior
Harvey Hacksmasher

On a positive note.. Who does everyone predict will hoist the trophy this year?

I think for the men's side we can assume team MB will be around at the end of the week and will likely claim first place after championship round. Ontario men's team seem strong but dropped two losses early, and this is the AB men second time on the big stage so with more experience they could make a go. Quebec men have a very strong and fearless skip, and of course SK men who claimed silver medals last year will be hunting for a playoff sport. BC men also are strong with Tardi claiming bronze at CWG and being selected for YOG.. surely he's been training hard this year which will help his chances here.
Predictons: Gold - Manitoba. Silver - BC. Bronze - Quebec. AB finishes fourth

Women also have a very strong field. I'm thinking Mary Fay will claim first place after championship round is complete. This is their third time around, new energy this year with a new third and YOG training may be just what they need to finally cap things off. AB and MB women should be around at the end of the week. AB skip made a fabulous shot to make it here so she obviously has some fire in her that could take her team to the finish line. I'm not familiar with the MB women but I think their second and third have some national experience. NO women claimed gold at CWG but I don't think they'll have the stamina to make semis this week. BC women should be finishing first or second in their round robin pool and will be around at the end of the week. Sarah Daniels is a strong player with a young but experienced team.
Predictions: Gold - NS. Silver - BC. Bronze - MB. AB finishes fourth.

01-25-16 09:40AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

im thinking British Columbia wins the mens event

Nova Scotia to win the womens event .

01-25-16 10:06AM
Junior is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Junior Click here to Send Junior a Private Message Find more posts by Junior Add Junior to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Junior
Harvey Hacksmasher

They just don't have the competition up North and it costs so much to travel and get good competition. I think its more lack of game time than lack of coaching, however that may play a factor as well. I'm assuming they don't get their ice in until mid-October as well.

01-25-16 10:26AM
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Junior
They just don't have the competition up North and it costs so much to travel and get good competition. I think its more lack of game time than lack of coaching, however that may play a factor as well. I'm assuming they don't get their ice in until mid-October as well.

So rather than have the Northern Teams use these Juniors as "practice time" why doesn't Curling Canada set up training camps for them. Fly them down for a week of training, play a few games. They do it for elites, so if they have to include the North in the Nationals, then help them get better. Find a sponsor to fund them in some OJCT events or other junior tours. At least prepare them for the competition. Personally I don't think the elite Juniors need training camps, spend the money on the areas still under development.

01-25-16 04:59PM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

I cannot say strongly enough that regardless of what everyone else has said, Manitoba's team should be ashamed, even if they are "kids". Putting up 5 in the 8th end, with a 28-1 lead going in. Seriously, that is just pour behavior. Has no one ever taught them the spirit of curling. I'll just quote a bit

"the Spirit of Curling demands good sportsmanship, kindly feeling and honourable conduct."

Running up the score is not good sportsmanship. And for the argument that it is Nationals, and all rocks are needed to practice to win the event. Well, that's horse poop.

First of all, if you are scoring like that, its not like you are really having to execute shots, so you are not getting practice. Second, there are other ways to practice that don't involve scoring. Have every play throw guards. First shot a guard. Second shot, freeze to that guard, come behind that guard, or even tick the guard you just placed.

And it doesn't matter if the guys who scored 1 still smiled. You know what makes people smile more? Not losing 33-1. the 14 points that Manitoba put up in 6, 7 & 8, an injustice. Manitoba slows down, only scores a couple in each end, and everyone still wins. What a freaking joke

01-25-16 05:10PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by curlerbroad

So rather than have the Northern Teams use these Juniors as "practice time" why doesn't Curling Canada set up training camps for them. Fly them down for a week of training, play a few games. They do it for elites, so if they have to include the North in the Nationals, then help them get better. Find a sponsor to fund them in some OJCT events or other junior tours. At least prepare them for the competition. Personally I don't think the elite Juniors need training camps, spend the money on the areas still under development.

i think thats a good idea. curling canada has workshops all over the country, why cant they start doing workshops up north. i mean,i imagine that its more expensive but its worth the effort to develop these teams who have a hard time getting anywhere out of their home territory. It also got to be a better option then just having these teams come to nationals and learn through trial by fire. I think it would be a great deal of good to look into it and i imagine they would like it

Last edited by misty1 on 01-25-16 at 05:19PM

01-25-16 05:17PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by curlky
I cannot say strongly enough that regardless of what everyone else has said, Manitoba's team should be ashamed, even if they are "kids". Putting up 5 in the 8th end, with a 28-1 lead going in. Seriously, that is just pour behavior. Has no one ever taught them the spirit of curling. I'll just quote a bit

"the Spirit of Curling demands good sportsmanship, kindly feeling and honourable conduct."

Running up the score is not good sportsmanship. And for the argument that it is Nationals, and all rocks are needed to practice to win the event. Well, that's horse poop.

First of all, if you are scoring like that, its not like you are really having to execute shots, so you are not getting practice. Second, there are other ways to practice that don't involve scoring. Have every play throw guards. First shot a guard. Second shot, freeze to that guard, come behind that guard, or even tick the guard you just placed.

And it doesn't matter if the guys who scored 1 still smiled. You know what makes people smile more? Not losing 33-1. the 14 points that Manitoba put up in 6, 7 & 8, an injustice. Manitoba slows down, only scores a couple in each end, and everyone still wins. What a freaking joke

curlky,

have you actually been at a Canadian Junior Nationals when Team Nunavut has sent a team? I have. The quality of the team they send is, in all fairness, not good compared to even an entry-level, junior national calibre team. It's difficult to say what you'd have to instruct your team to do to keep points off the score board - the only, and I mean only, possible option would be to tell them to throw it through up until skip's first rock.

And sorry, "Putting up 5 in the 8th end" is not what Team Manitoba did. The teams are mandated to play 8 ends (it used to only be 6) and the score for each end is also mandated to be recorded. In a regular bonspiel game, the Manitoba lads would have hung up the first end score, and that's the last score that would have been shown - would that make you feel better about how this scoring was handled?

Unless you were there to witness things in person it's beyond me how you can say "What a freaking joke"

01-25-16 05:30PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

i think we need to watch ourselves here and not label teams putrid