Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > Will Sport Canada and CCA now smarten up

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-10-15 09:50AM
watcher2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for watcher2 Click here to Send watcher2 a Private Message Find more posts by watcher2 Add watcher2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
watcher2
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Borough Boy

Exactly, gotta love guys posting and railing on things they have no clue about.
Didn't figure that the 5 k is prize money ON TOP of expenses lol

So now go back and factor in air, hotels etc and do still feel the same?

Don't forget, before those 20 teams boycotted back in the early 2000's there was no prize money, no cresting money etc.

This has come a long way.

If you actually knew what you can answer these questions:

Does CCA pay actual expenses or supply a lump sum that really doesn't cover expenses/

Does CCA cover transportation real costs?

Does it pay food allowances?

Yea, the past was worst, until a few curlers stood up to the CCA, what has that got to do with what is happening now with other countries.

You imply you know the facts..instead of smart mouthing spill them!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-10-15 10:04AM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by Borough Boy

Not sure if you gave the financial statements a good look, but they are done by an independent firm. That is standard for all big operations. I know those accountants are crazy people, trying to deceive by putting financial details on differing pages and all, my God. Are you serious?

I'm not sure exactly what you are implying by the expenses being listed on page 15? Page 5 is a revenue and expense statemetn, so what? Would it better suit if it was on page 3? page 1, what the hell is the difference? Are you suggesting the independent firm is trying to hide something? And no detail, this isn't the Lions Club in Grimsby, maybe they care about how many pens are used, this is a big operation.

If they didn't have this type of documentation done by an independent firm, then I would be worried.

I would suggest you go and pull out financial statements from any coroporation and you will find this pefrectly in order. Trying to suggest otherwise is misleading and pure BS.

Not sure what agenda you have or what your beef is, but come up with a little more than copying a public document, done by an independent firm before suggesting something untoward.

If you knew anything about audited corporations or corporate statements you would know that the audit just verifies that the statements reflect the position of the corporation. The Corporation presents the statements of financial position to the auditor.

In any financial statement the devil is in the details. Every Corporation I have run has a complex multi level budget statement system with details in the sub budget. You give access to this to the auditor but never present it in the final statements.

Budget lines like $345,000 high performance development could contain travel expenses, wages, whatever, you have no idea.
There could be wages, travel expenses, even shoe costs hidden in any number of high dollar budget lines and you can't tell without the detail. All the auditor certifies is that the numbers are representative of the truth, not that they are justified.

In short, CCA tells you exactly what they want, not necessarily what is going on so I guess you trust them explicitly!

04-10-15 11:54PM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

Just because I'm curious on if they usual suspects complaining have a plan or are just complaining as per normal... I would like to ask the following:

So say Curling Canada decides to fund, full time, 2 teams (men's and women's). Or even 4. Who gets it? How do you qualify? What do you have to do to retain the funding? Is there a way a team could bump out one of the funded teams and take their spot?

Funding a full time team works well in curling countries that don't have an extensive group of competitive curlers. Canada... well, good luck in coming up with a system the works to filter the multitude of teams and players out there who could compete.

As for the Brier and Scotties funding... I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more money spread out for the teams who don't make it into the playoffs. Maybe put money on the line for winning each game or some other plan.

04-15-15 08:28PM
lolar3288 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for lolar3288 Click here to Send lolar3288 a Private Message Find more posts by lolar3288 Add lolar3288 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by JustAnotherHack
Just because I'm curious on if they usual suspects complaining have a plan or are just complaining as per normal... I would like to ask the following:

So say Curling Canada decides to fund, full time, 2 teams (men's and women's). Or even 4. Who gets it? How do you qualify? What do you have to do to retain the funding? Is there a way a team could bump out one of the funded teams and take their spot?

Funding a full time team works well in curling countries that don't have an extensive group of competitive curlers. Canada... well, good luck in coming up with a system the works to filter the multitude of teams and players out there who could compete.

As for the Brier and Scotties funding... I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more money spread out for the teams who don't make it into the playoffs. Maybe put money on the line for winning each game or some other plan.

I think several things would have to change but we select a team to go to the Olympics so we can select a "Team Canada" for the worlds.

Maybe it shouldn't be the Hearts and Brier winners but the top points Canadian team for the year based on total performance in a number of events. That way two men's and two women's teams could be fully funded for a year.

Could even be the previous year brier/hearts winner and top point team. Many options would work, that is the easy part.

Prying the cash out of the greedy hands at CCA....well that may require explosives! Or maybe Sports Canada could direct the money to the curlers instead of the personnel heavy, salary heavy CCA.

04-16-15 11:18AM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by lolar3288

I think several things would have to change but we select a team to go to the Olympics so we can select a "Team Canada" for the worlds.

Maybe it shouldn't be the Hearts and Brier winners but the top points Canadian team for the year based on total performance in a number of events. That way two men's and two women's teams could be fully funded for a year.

Could even be the previous year brier/hearts winner and top point team. Many options would work, that is the easy part.

Prying the cash out of the greedy hands at CCA....well that may require explosives! Or maybe Sports Canada could direct the money to the curlers instead of the personnel heavy, salary heavy CCA.

Yeah. Because there's nothing the other hundreds of teams like better than having to fund their own, very expensive way and then have to play a team whose way is totally paid.

Is Tiger Woods paid by the US government to play on the PGA? No. Nor should any Canadian curling team. It's my tax money and no matter how small an amount it works out your be, I am not paying for someone else's season.

04-16-15 11:30AM
watcher2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for watcher2 Click here to Send watcher2 a Private Message Find more posts by watcher2 Add watcher2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
watcher2
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by jamcan

Yeah. Because there's nothing the other hundreds of teams like better than having to fund their own, very expensive way and then have to play a team whose way is totally paid.

Is Tiger Woods paid by the US government to play on the PGA? No. Nor should any Canadian curling team. It's my tax money and no matter how small an amount it works out your be, I am not paying for someone else's season.

Actually you already are funding, just not the players.
CCA gets millions plus some side grants. CAC gets even more, plus some side grants and all that money does (mostly) is pay salaries for administration and flowery websites that give a false vision of what they do (besides overpay themselves).

You can't compare a true professional sport like golf or hockey with a world (Olympic)sport like curling. Show me one curling spiel where first place prize is over $1,000,000? And that goes to one person in golf, not split 4 or 5 ways. Yes I know golf pros have some staff like a caddie but they also have million dollar sponsorships.

04-16-15 11:50AM
JustAnotherHack is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JustAnotherHack Click here to Send JustAnotherHack a Private Message Find more posts by JustAnotherHack Add JustAnotherHack to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAnotherHack
Swing Artist

Well... other than the perpetual complaining about Curling Canada and how they "waste" our money, I still don't see a workable idea on how to fund teams.

(And I'll be honest, I'm not agreeing with that at all about CC wastes our money (they're not perfect mind you)... you guys scream and complain but I'm guessing you're the same sort that scream and complain about how every government or government funded organization "wastes" your money. Just because you personally don't see a return or feel that there isn't any value in what they do, doesn't mean the majority feel the same. But that's something I'll debate with you elsewhere.)

Personally, I'd rather see the money sunk into things like the Brier/Scotties, Canada Cup and the Olympic Trials, as well as into development tours for teams to get that competition they need to improve. The latter is where I'd really like to see more money invested... give teams that want to be competitive more places where they can hone their skills and maybe earn some money to offset some of their costs.

Maybe hold the Olympic Trials earlier, and then fund the winners of the Trials for a year prior to the Olympics (make them ineligible for the Brier/Scotties) so they can completely focus on the Olympics. I would be open to the idea of spread a little bit more funding to teams in the Canada Cup/Brier/Scotties as well, perhaps by increasing the prize pools.

(I know this excludes the Worlds, but... well, we can still send some pretty good teams to the Worlds and really, it's ultimately all about Gold in the Olympics, isn't it?)

04-22-15 09:59AM
lolar3288
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by JustAnotherHack
Well... other than the perpetual complaining about Curling Canada and how they "waste" our money, I still don't see a workable idea on how to fund teams.

(And I'll be honest, I'm not agreeing with that at all about CC wastes our money (they're not perfect mind you)... you guys scream and complain but I'm guessing you're the same sort that scream and complain about how every government or government funded organization "wastes" your money. Just because you personally don't see a return or feel that there isn't any value in what they do, doesn't mean the majority feel the same. But that's something I'll debate with you elsewhere.)

Personally, I'd rather see the money sunk into things like the Brier/Scotties, Canada Cup and the Olympic Trials, as well as into development tours for teams to get that competition they need to improve. The latter is where I'd really like to see more money invested... give teams that want to be competitive more places where they can hone their skills and maybe earn some money to offset some of their costs.

Maybe hold the Olympic Trials earlier, and then fund the winners of the Trials for a year prior to the Olympics (make them ineligible for the Brier/Scotties) so they can completely focus on the Olympics. I would be open to the idea of spread a little bit more funding to teams in the Canada Cup/Brier/Scotties as well, perhaps by increasing the prize pools.

(I know this excludes the Worlds, but... well, we can still send some pretty good teams to the Worlds and really, it's ultimately all about Gold in the Olympics, isn't it?)

I agree with pretty much everything you say but with governments, especially the Feds, pressing for a balanced budget (and no doubt all governments should) it is unlikely any new money would be available so it has to come from the pool of money already available and that is mostly going to associations like CCA and CAC. They certainly will not give up cash willingly so it will be up to the Clubs to push the point. The only way they can do this is withdraw membership.