Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 2 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 |   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
04-21-15 09:49PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

but in that same regard its baffling why they ever git rid of wrestling but allow womens hockey to continue

They reinstated wrestling almost immediately...

Honestly, it was an IOC power play...they wanted changes from the Wrestling governing body, the governing body wasn't wanting to play ball...so the IOC took it's slot to send a message...

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

04-22-15 02:03AM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Tuck, Very happy to hear I was wrong thinking the US HP program putting 2 HP juniors in Mixed Doubles Nationals was not what it seemed. Once Mixed Doubles is on the Olympics roster, lots of curlers who wouldn't have given it a second thought will perk up and it will soon have OOM events all over North America. It will interesting to see which top curlers concentrate on doubles compared to the single gender events.

But, ugh, I don't like playing doubles. Pre-placing rocks was just a gimmick for faster play by the ones who created it. But, in this new curling TV land, doubles and couples' soap opera storylines are inevitable ...and Tuck's Kittens are cute.

And our seniors are doing fabulous at Worlds! They've a better record so far than our world men and women, no?

Last edited by Alice on 04-22-15 at 03:43PM

04-22-15 03:49PM
Alice is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Alice Click here to Send Alice a Private Message Find more posts by Alice Add Alice to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alice
Swing Artist

Our Senior teams led by Lyle Sieg and Norma O'Leary are top of their pools and in the playoffs. Whoot!

Some fun trivia. Although he curls out of Seattle, Lyle came there via the San Francisco Bay Area but originally is from Flin Flon, Manitoba, a town with perhaps the most interesting back story of how it got its name.

04-22-15 04:54PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

And yet (I hope my memory is right on this one for a change), Lyle represented the Northwest Territories in his only Brier appearance.

04-22-15 05:04PM
jamcan is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jamcan Click here to Send jamcan a Private Message Find more posts by jamcan Add jamcan to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jamcan
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
And yet (I hope my memory is right on this one for a change), Lyle represented the Northwest Territories in his only Brier appearance.

Bang on correct Tuck. Lyle did play for the NWT before moving and residing for several years in Vancouver. I had the good fortune to curl with him for a few seasons. And I have to wonder if he remembers his table walk at the Kamloops Cash to fetch his Drambuie! I think there's still a forehead shaped dent in that rafter beam...

Class guy as well as a fine player. It's treasonous, I know, but this Canucks is rooting for the red, white and blue!

I'll throw in my voice as well in disappointment that CZ is not posting results from a recognized world championship.

Last edited by jamcan on 04-22-15 at 05:06PM

04-22-15 10:12PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Our three teams in Sochi are now a combined 15 and 1.

Men and Women have already clinched playoff spots. One more win by the Cute As Kittens team and all three will be in the playoffs. The Kittens, however, finish with a couple of tough ones: Denmark and Switzerland. Just need one of them. As we near the end of the round robins, I'll say it again: All three USA teams ended up in their Pool Of Death. Just the luck of the draw and it only makes this run all the more impressive.

Ben Tucker
Go Team Cute As Kittens!

Last edited by tuck on 04-22-15 at 10:23PM

04-23-15 06:24AM
IMWright is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IMWright Click here to Send IMWright a Private Message Find more posts by IMWright Add IMWright to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IMWright
Swing Artist

quote:
Our three teams in Sochi are now a combined 15 and 1.

Men and Women have already clinched playoff spots. One more win by the Cute As Kittens team and all three will be in the playoffs. The Kittens, however, finish with a couple of tough ones: Denmark and Switzerland. Just need one of them. As we near the end of the round robins, I'll say it again: All three USA teams ended up in their Pool Of Death. Just the luck of the draw and it only makes this run all the more impressive.

Ben Tucker
Go Team Cute As Kittens!

With the win over Denmark, US Mixed Pair survive pool play. Onto the quarterfinals...

04-23-15 11:24AM
Be The Stone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Be The Stone Click here to Send Be The Stone a Private Message Find more posts by Be The Stone Add Be The Stone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Be The Stone
Harvey Hacksmasher

Group B round robin is done, top 3 qualify...

NOR 9-0
SWE 6-3 (2-1 in group, beat ITA)
ITA 6-3 (2-1 in group)
LAT 6-3 (1-2 in group, beat FIN)
FIN 6-3 (1-2 in group)

NOR is in. 4 countries for 2 spots, SWE/FIN (1 vs 4 group seed), ITA/LAT (2 vs 3 group seeds), winners advance.

Interesting playoff system. Top 3 out of each pool advance and then they will determine the overall seeding as follows:

Seeds 1-3 = DSC standings among the 1st place pool teams
Seeds 4-6 = DSC standings among the 2nd place pool teams
Seeds 7-9 = DSC standings among the 3rd place pool teams

Seeds #8 and #9 have a "play-in" game to get to the final 8, then single elimination to the end. But the wrinkle is that only seeds #1 thru #4 are slotted in the quarterfinal bracket. The WCF rules state...

"Where possible, opponents will be selected on the basis of not having teams from the same group compete against each other. If necessary, the opponents will be determined by a draw from the hat (random selection) at the post round robin team meeting"

And this same rule applies to semifinals as well. What do you all think of this? MLB baseball had a similar rule for the opening round of post season, but it was abandoned in 2012 when they went to 2 wild card teams. I like the purity of straight seeding.

Congrats Team USA on securing the #2 finish in the A pool! Looks like CAN looks good for the overall #1 seed based on DSC, and NOR is #2, RUS is #3. Still games to play, but it is doubtful that USA will get the #4 seed looking at their DSC results, so let's hope for a good hat draw!

04-23-15 04:27PM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Doubles playoff seeding

Looks like if Sweden wins the tiebreaker against Finland they would become the 2nd seed with best DSC. However if Finland beats Sweden Finland should be the 3rd seed out of the pool.

In that case USA would be the 2nd seed with best DSC (and they would avoid CAN, NOR, RUS in the quarters). Doesn't matter what happens in the ITA vs LAT game.

Hungary will have the best DSC of 3 seeds and avoid the extra game.

3 USA teams going for Gold! Good luck in the playoffs!

04-23-15 05:21PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

my thoughts now:

based off what i have seen this week the best teams there are norway, russia and canada. I think its one of those 3 that wins gold. Hungary is my 4th fave pick . when they are on they are great, we know what they can do when they are on.

dark horses are sweden and the US. but ultimately, if the draw allows it i'd be surprised if the final 4 werent the 4 teams i mentioned as favorites. at their best they are just the best teams i have seen there. Hungary has been the shakiest of all of them but im still picking them to get through

04-23-15 05:49PM
Be The Stone is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Be The Stone Click here to Send Be The Stone a Private Message Find more posts by Be The Stone Add Be The Stone to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Be The Stone
Harvey Hacksmasher

Be great if USA gets the #4! Bracket would be:

CAN #1
(tbd)

NOR #2
(tbd)

RUS #3
(tbd)

USA #4
(tbd)

And if USA/RUS win, we avoid them in the semis cause of that rule. I think RUS is the most dangerous opponent right now. When I see Dron - I think Drago (Rocky IV) - the guy is huge! Go Finland!

If SWE gets the #4 spot, then how does the out of the hat placement of the (tbd) teams work? Do they start at the top or the bottom of the bracket or wherever? If they start at top, then HUN (#7) and EST (#6) cant play CAN, so that would leave USA (#5) and the last seed team in the hat. Is this anywhere in the rules?

I personally am not a fan of this system. If Mixed gets to the Olympics, they need to scrap this. American TV audience will be confused enough with the stationary stones, etc.. If our team makes playoffs in 2018, you can't have a "movable" bracket.

Good luck to all the USA teams!

04-24-15 10:07AM
MNIceman is offline Click Here to See the Profile for MNIceman Click here to Send MNIceman a Private Message Visit MNIceman's homepage! Find more posts by MNIceman Add MNIceman to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Doubles quarter finals

Here is my best guess at Quarter final matchups:
CAN vs DEN
NOR vs HUN
RUS vs EST
SWE vs USA

GO USA!

04-24-15 10:48AM
MNIceman
Hitting Paint

Seeding means nothing?

Well looks like I was wrong. According to Terry the USA got stuck playing Canada. Normally at Mixed Doubles that would be a good thing but this year the Canadians are tough.

I figured the 3 seeds should end up playing the top 2 seeds but what do I know. I don't think it makes sense to use your pool seeding for part of the playoff draw but not all of it.

04-24-15 11:11AM
BobbyS is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BobbyS Click here to Send BobbyS a Private Message Find more posts by BobbyS Add BobbyS to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BobbyS
Harvey Hacksmasher

The Quarter Final Matchups have been announced:

USA-CAN
NOR-DEN
RUS-HUN
EST-SWE

Last edited by BobbyS on 04-24-15 at 11:14AM

04-24-15 12:35PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I feel like using the cussword Heather Nedohin taught us (s...balls), but I'm not going to let this confusing playoff pairing system ruin my mood. Canada? Bring it. Let's go. The Kittens can do this. Yeah, I'd rather have seen a rematch with the home Russia team or the formidable looking Swedes, but it is what it is.

Pairings for both Senior teams look more favorable.

It matters...but it doesn't matter. All 3 teams made the playoffs and Tuck is a happy boy. Now collect some medals and Tuck will be a very, very happy boy.

Ben Tucker
GO TEAM CUTE AS KITTENS!

04-24-15 04:27PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Well the US put up a great fight but eventually fell to canada.Full credit to them, they really did do well

the final 4 is almost exactly what i thought it would be but, of course the draw put 2 teams i had in the final 4 against each other in the quarters. I honestly favored russia but hungary just came out and smoked them. They really did show why they are former champions.

Think we have 2 amazing semi finals lined up here. canada v.s sweden should be good. this swedish team has finished 2nd twice so will be no pushover but im leaning toward canada.

hungary v.s norway will be great. norway is the last unbeaten team here. its hard to pick here too but i will go with hungary.

think canada v.s hungary in the final with hungary getting revenge for draw 1

Last edited by misty1 on 04-24-15 at 08:00PM

04-24-15 07:10PM
Alice
Swing Artist

USA Senior Men and Women are in the final four, semifinals! Yay! Team Sieg and Team O'Leary!!

A link below for the results and such since CZ is only (?) scoreboarding a spiel in Michigan this weekend. There should be some WCF webstreaming this weekend.
http://wscc2015.curlingevents.com/

04-24-15 07:11PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Oh, misty, misty, misty. You need to work on your timing. That post was about 3 days too soon. Still too painful. Now I have no option but to hope that all your picks lose and lose badly. Nothing against your picks, just mad at you.

Now we need our Senior Men to beat the Kiwis or we'll have Jimbo down here talking smack.

It's not that I hate Canadians. Some of them are friends. Well, today I hate Canadians. Hate 'em bad.

In a more serious vein, the messed up playoff seeding cost our kids a medal. You cannot convince me that they weren't one of the top three teams. We got screwed. Good job, Sarah. Good job, Dropkin The Younger. From everyone I talk to, we are very proud of you.

Ben Tucker
GO SENIORS!

04-24-15 07:59PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Oh, misty, misty, misty. You need to work on your timing. That post was about 3 days too soon. Still too painful. Now I have no option but to hope that all your picks lose and lose badly. Nothing against your picks, just mad at you.

Now we need our Senior Men to beat the Kiwis or we'll have Jimbo down here talking smack.

It's not that I hate Canadians. Some of them are friends. Well, today I hate Canadians. Hate 'em bad.

In a more serious vein, the messed up playoff seeding cost our kids a medal. You cannot convince me that they weren't one of the top three teams. We got screwed. Good job, Sarah. Good job, Dropkin The Younger. From everyone I talk to, we are very proud of you.

Ben Tucker
GO SENIORS!

i assume you are joking around here since i came on here and praised them for the effort they gave and coming on here 3 days after the fact would be a little weird

i dont think US was one of the top 3 there. Hungary, russia, norway, canada, sweden..think all of them are better. honestly this swedish and hungarian team have been the most consistant at tis event of any team, having made the semi finals at least in all 3 appearances

but being the 6th best team in a field of 24 is still great and they can only get better.

Last edited by misty1 on 04-24-15 at 08:02PM

04-24-15 09:27PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I was joking; but geez girlfriend...take that stuff to the Hungarian curling threads. When here, say stuff like, "Yep, looked solid for a medal. They got screwed." Make some friends, sister.

Ben Tucker

04-24-15 09:31PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
I was joking; but geez girlfriend...take that stuff to the Hungarian curling threads. When here, say stuff like, "Yep, looked solid for a medal. They got screwed." Make some friends, sister.

Ben Tucker

didnt i praise their effort, or did you miss it.

im not going to say they got screwed because they didnt. they were going to be in tough in all those matches with the exception of maybe estonia. but thays probably who you thought they should have got i guess.

i tried making a thread for mixed doubles but no one went in it so this is the only place i have to discuss it

Last edited by misty1 on 04-24-15 at 11:09PM

04-25-15 06:52AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

senior women lose to italy in a shocker but i like their chances at bronze

senior men have been the best team there all week and i think they take gold over canada

04-25-15 09:12AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

so a great week for the US wraps up with gold and bronze.congrats to both teams