Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  

CurlingZone : Powered by vBulletin>
<smallfont><b><a href=CurlingZone > Chat Forums > General Curling Chat > Rock Talk > 2015 Scotties Tournament of Hearts

Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 2 of 22 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
01-25-15 09:28PM
maybo is offline Click Here to See the Profile for maybo Visit maybo's homepage! Find more posts by maybo Add maybo to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maybo
Hitting Paint

quote:
Originally posted by misty1

Lol, the girl who knocked off middaugh. You dont even know her name. Its julie hastings.

To be fair, there are a number of last-name-only references in that post.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

01-25-15 09:32PM
Sean is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Sean Find more posts by Sean Add Sean to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Sean
Administrator

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

btw - I still maintain this is the best field in decades. Three teams who have or could win world and/or Olympic titles in Jones, Homan and Sweeting. The heavy hometown favourite who's never won a Scotties, Stefanie Lawton plus the gal who knocked off Middaugh (Hastings) and the team who stopped Homan a few years back (Horgan)..... plus a new entrant from BC (Knezevic), a newbie from Quebec (Mann) and the usual maritime suspects!

5 world class teams plus

As compared to 1997 where the field looked like at the time:

2 time Cdn & World Champ(Schmirler)
2 time Cdn % World Champ(Bodogh)
1990 Cdn champ(Goring)
1982 Cdn Champ(Jones)
1991 Cdn Runner Up(Hanlon)
1995 Cdn Runner Up and 2 time Cdn Jr Champ(Borst).
The top money leader that season(Owen)

But yea 2015 is better....

01-26-15 07:15AM
holly14 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for holly14 Click here to Send holly14 a Private Message Find more posts by holly14 Add holly14 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
holly14
Knee-Slider

Angry

hi
nice post................!

http://www.cambridgecollege.edu/
https://www.facebook.com/keiseruniv

01-26-15 07:45AM
amandabulge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amandabulge Click here to Send amandabulge a Private Message Visit amandabulge's homepage! Find more posts by amandabulge Add amandabulge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amandabulge
Hitting Paint

Yes O'Rourke has to beat Birth twice today. First game will be at 1 Atlantic and if O'Rourke wins the final will be at 6. Its a triple knockout where Birt only has 1 loss and O'Rourke has two loses. As someone who is involved with many events in PEI. I see many people confused with this format and not easy for fans volunteers and the club. All events are gone to this format. I will be posting results and curl PEI Scotties website will have a summary of last rock of each end and curl PEI twitter. Amanda

01-26-15 02:37PM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Birt has a solid 5 point lead after 8. Could be over in one game.

Last edited by nelski on 01-26-15 at 02:40PM

01-26-15 05:12PM
amandabulge is offline Click Here to See the Profile for amandabulge Click here to Send amandabulge a Private Message Visit amandabulge's homepage! Find more posts by amandabulge Add amandabulge to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
amandabulge
Hitting Paint

Great win by team Birt
A pre recorded of the game will be posted at some point. Will post link when available.

01-26-15 05:56PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

The only rink that's not listed with the WCT is Lawton. Is that a mistake on the WCT website?

01-26-15 06:34PM
IN-OFF-FOR-2 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for IN-OFF-FOR-2 Find more posts by IN-OFF-FOR-2 Add IN-OFF-FOR-2 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
IN-OFF-FOR-2
Super Rockchucker

Anderson

quote:
Originally posted by Jimbobogie
The only rink that's not listed with the WCT is Lawton. Is that a mistake on the WCT website?

It's listed as Sherry Anderson

01-26-15 08:14PM
Jimbobogie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jimbobogie Click here to Send Jimbobogie a Private Message Find more posts by Jimbobogie Add Jimbobogie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jimbobogie
Drawmaster

Thanx I-O-F-2. I'd say that this is a damn strong field, making relegation all the more frustrating.

01-26-15 10:55PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Nice to see a Kreviazuk with Homan's crew at this years Scotties.

I'll make my predictions and opinions the week of the event, but like I said after the Canadian Open and Continental Cup, this year seems to be Sweeting's.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

01-27-15 10:24PM
nickelcity is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nickelcity Click here to Send nickelcity a Private Message Find more posts by nickelcity Add nickelcity to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nickelcity
Harvey Hacksmasher

Alright! So I spoke to Team Tracy Horgan yesterday and they shared some details for the relegation process. So the 3 teams (NO, NT, YT) will face off in a single round robin the day before the Scotties. The top 2 finishers (The 2-0 team and the 1-1 team) will compete in the "final" on Sheet 2 during Draw 1 of the Scotties for a berth in the main event. However, should all teams finish with a 1-1 record, there will be NO tiebreakers per say. Before every game, 2 players will throw (cumulative) draws to the button. The 2 teams with the lowest cumulative draw distances will compete in the final.

01-28-15 09:57AM
scorer79 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for scorer79 Click here to Send scorer79 a Private Message Find more posts by scorer79 Add scorer79 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scorer79
Harvey Hacksmasher

It's definitely a strong field, but I'd also not make the argument that it's the best of all time.

The trend I see this year (aside from the obvious favorites) is that there are a lot of up and coming teams as well as some regular favorites.

I guess it's more of an intriguing field because I think there are about 8-10 teams that could make up the playoff participants.

01-28-15 09:59AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Yuck, all the more reason to do away with team Canada and and relegation.

Very few other team sports have a Team Canada (I don't count figure skating here). Perhaps the previous year's champion advances to finals in the province...

WIth curling all over TV these days, you don't really need a team canada to market the game...marketing has advanced enough there are other ideas you can use.

01-28-15 11:24AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:

8 would be a stretch!

Sweeting at 27 or 28 is coming into her own - perhaps a parallel to Sandra Schmirler's great Sask'n squad?

Schmirler didn't find instant success after juniors, she needed a few years to get her sea legs but once she did, the results speak for themselves!

Only problem is that Sandra never had to face monsters like Homan, or complete teams like Jones.

One STOH - she barely snuck by Maureen Bonar of Manitoba, a career front-ender who was skipping at the time! Went down to last rock if memory serves.

Everyone can bring up the names Goring, Holland, Kleibrink, Larouche & Scott but c'mon folks - you can't really compare any of these squads to the top girls skipped by Jones, Homan and Sweeting. (fitness levels, coaching, strategy, resilience, etc.) I'd even put Lawton's team a slight notch up on the ones mentioned - although Stef has yet to hit paydirt at the national level.

Yeah, your right. Sandra had it easy...not. The teams she had to compete against are just as strong as your precious jones or homan.

I also find it quite an insult that your passing over scott and goring for lawton. These are 2 canadian greats and, as good as stef is she has accomplished nothing compared to them so i fail to understand how she or even sweeting can rank above teams who have actually won more than one national title or gone on to win world championship. You also have no right to comment on training and fitness when you simply dont know

Sweeting herself might win a national title but it is by no means certain. Better teams than her have come and gone without winning a national title and there are teams that are around now that you would have thought would have won at least once but havent.

You cant truly determine what would happen if these teams met because we simply dont know, all we have is speculation. So then to compare you have to go with accomplishments and thatsbwhere stef, and val lose out

I dont really like that you insinuating that if sandra had to compete to win a scotties with jen and rachel in the field that sh couldnt win . Her team is the greatest team to have ever played this game . We might have had the chance to see her play both of these teams if she hadnt been taken so young

But when i look at her team i cant think of a single position where she would be at a significant disadvantage.remember that jan betker , sandra third simply out skipped and out played jen at the 2008 scotties when they met. That might be a little window into how those teams would have matched up

And one final note as far as kelly scott goes - she l at her peak was just as much a nightmare match up for jen as rachel is now in fact, even worse. And i would not look past 2012 when an illness ravagd scott team took down jen in the 1 v.s 2 game. So lets give her a little more repsect instead of saying that lawton and sweeting are better teams than her.

Last edited by misty1 on 01-28-15 at 11:51AM

01-28-15 01:45PM
Radio-Man is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Radio-Man Click here to Send Radio-Man a Private Message Find more posts by Radio-Man Add Radio-Man to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Very difficult to compare era's but the athletes playing the game today are in better shape and just better in general. It's that way for every sport, the evolution of the athlete. For me it's whether someone (team) was more accomplished in their particular era vs. another, or even HOW MUCH better against the competition of said era vs. another. The rest is just personal bias and speculation. Bottom line, it's a great field as far as a Scotties is concerned, but certainly not at the level of a Slam event.

"It means that I'm not the Samaritan. That I'm not the priest, or the Levite. That I am the ill intent...who set upon the traveler on a road that he should not have been on."

Last edited by Radio-Man on 01-28-15 at 01:49PM

01-28-15 02:27PM
doubletakeout is offline Click Here to See the Profile for doubletakeout Click here to Send doubletakeout a Private Message Find more posts by doubletakeout Add doubletakeout to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
doubletakeout
Swing Artist

exacty right, radio-man. we just can't compare across eras. tiger at his best vs. nicklaus at his best? who's to say? sports change so dramatically over their histories for so many reasons, and curling is one of them.

the honest retired curlers will admit that the current teams are far better than they were at their prime. look at joan mccusker after jones's run at the olympics, saying that the jones team was the best women's curling team canada had ever sent to that event. it's not a slight on team schmirler, it's just a reality of how the sporting world works.

kevin martin would tell you that his 2010 team was better than his 1997 team. ditto for stoughton, 1996 vs. 2011, colleen jones 1982 vs. 2004, etc. what's unique about curling is that careers in the sport can be so long that the truly committed top athletes who stick with it can evolve along with the game. the richardsons are obviously one of the legendary teams of the sport and deserve recognition on any list of the all-time greats. but the curling they played is nearly unrecognizable by today's standards - the curlers today play with incredible precision, athleticism and strategy to a level that simply wasn't a part of the richardsons' era.

i'm glad to see the 3 best teams in the country will be there. i'd be shocked if one of jones, holland or sweeting missed the playoffs, more shocked if 2 of the 3 teams didn't make the final. should be quite the shootout!

01-28-15 02:30PM
Noeller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Noeller Click here to Send Noeller a Private Message Find more posts by Noeller Add Noeller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noeller
Harvey Hacksmasher

There can be no debate that the Jones and Homan rinks, right now, at the top of their game, are far FAR better than anything that exists now or in the past. Schmirler was a great team, but with her domination of the 2014 Olys, Jones takes the "Greatest Of All Time" designation for the time being. Homan coming on strong and likely will surpass in time...

01-28-15 03:23PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout
exacty right, radio-man. we just can't compare across eras. tiger at his best vs. nicklaus at his best? who's to say? sports change so dramatically over their histories for so many reasons, and curling is one of them.

the honest retired curlers will admit that the current teams are far better than they were at their prime. look at joan mccusker after jones's run at the olympics, saying that the jones team was the best women's curling team canada had ever sent to that event. it's not a slight on team schmirler, it's just a reality of how the sporting world works.

kevin martin would tell you that his 2010 team was better than his 1997 team. ditto for stoughton, 1996 vs. 2011, colleen jones 1982 vs. 2004, etc. what's unique about curling is that careers in the sport can be so long that the truly committed top athletes who stick with it can evolve along with the game. the richardsons are obviously one of the legendary teams of the sport and deserve recognition on any list of the all-time greats. but the curling they played is nearly unrecognizable by today's standards - the curlers today play with incredible precision, athleticism and strategy to a level that simply wasn't a part of the richardsons' era.

i'm glad to see the 3 best teams in the country will be there. i'd be shocked if one of jones, holland or sweeting missed the playoffs, more shocked if 2 of the 3 teams didn't make the final. should be quite the shootout!

Well said

01-28-15 03:41PM
Radio-Man
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Noeller
There can be no debate that the Jones and Homan rinks, right now, at the top of their game, are far FAR better than anything that exists now or in the past. Schmirler was a great team, but with her domination of the 2014 Olys, Jones takes the "Greatest Of All Time" designation for the time being. Homan coming on strong and likely will surpass in time...

This year I'd throw Sweeting into the mix as well. I like Homan more then anyone (on any continent) when she's on her game, but she hasn't really been "on" for much of the year, at least when it matters. The skins game may have been the turning point. Jones looks like she's still got a foot in the Olympics afterglow and has been more vulnerable this year. Meanwhile Sweeting has come right up the middle and gained tremendous confidence and momentum with her new team. Should be a great Scotties.

01-28-15 03:46PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

Im just never going to think of anyone but sandra as number one and anette as number 2.like steffi always being number one in tennis or buffon always being the best goalkeeper in football.

Last edited by misty1 on 01-28-15 at 03:49PM

01-28-15 03:52PM
Noeller is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Noeller Click here to Send Noeller a Private Message Find more posts by Noeller Add Noeller to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Noeller
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by Radio-Man

This year I'd throw Sweeting into the mix as well. I like Homan more then anyone (on any continent) when she's on her game, but she hasn't really been "on" for much of the year, at least when it matters. The skins game may have been the turning point. Jones looks like she's still got a foot in the Olympics afterglow and has been more vulnerable this year. Meanwhile Sweeting has come right up the middle and gained tremendous confidence and momentum with her new team. Should be a great Scotties.

Until I see otherwise, I still see Sweeting as part of that B-List that's a long way below Homan and Jones, at least for right now. She's still with the Nedohin, Carey, Lawton, Middaugh list of teams. But there's potential. Could open some eyes at the Scotties this year, possibly...

01-28-15 04:59PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Anyone have a list of who the teams have selected as their fifths and coaches?

Go to the CCA website and find your way to the Sootties site and then the team lists are there.

01-28-15 05:03PM
FollowingAlong is offline Click Here to See the Profile for FollowingAlong Click here to Send FollowingAlong a Private Message Find more posts by FollowingAlong Add FollowingAlong to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FollowingAlong
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by doubletakeout

I'm believe that Holland will have no chance to make the playoffs unless she is the fifth on Lawton's team.

01-28-15 05:04PM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Anyone have a list of who the teams have selected as their fifths and coaches?

All I know is Homan is bringing another Kreviazuk along!

I'm hoping Jones brings either Kristen McCuish (a young front-ender Jones has used in the past) or Kristy McDonald.

In any event, Jones seldom lets her fifth player see game action - other than a couple ends in a blowout!

McDonald is a versatile player who could throw rocks at any position - also a serviceable brusher. McCuish is a decent young lead, much better brusher.

Sweeting has some interesting possibilities - I'll raise the name Chelsea Carey! I suspect Val and her handlers won't want someone with as big a personality as Carey - maybe one of Carey's front-enders. Won't be Laura Crocker - didn't like some of her attitude when they were going down at the hands of Sweeting!

suzanne birt - sinead dolan
julie hastings - cheryl mcpherson
jennifer jones - jennifer clarke-rouire
valerie sweeting - sarah wilkes
patti knezevic - nicole backe
stefanie lawton - stephanie schmidt
mary anne arsenault - carole maclean
heather strong - noelle thomas-kennell
lauren mann - brenda nichols
tracy horgan - courtney chenier
rachel homan - cheryl kreviazuk
kerry galusha - sharon cormier
sarah koltun - lindsay moldowan

01-29-15 02:12PM
shaky53 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for shaky53 Click here to Send shaky53 a Private Message Find more posts by shaky53 Add shaky53 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
shaky53
Knee-Slider

relagation

Will curlingzone be covering scores for Scotties relegation Thursday Jan 29 and Friday 30th?