Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 1 of 2 -- Go to: | 1 | 2 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-28-17 09:03PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

2017 Mixed Doubles National

Two pools. My preseason Futures Bet would have been Beighton/WalkerTwo.

Top 5 or something like that make it to next December's Olympic Trials. This stuff is getting serious. Very serious.

POOL A

Cristin Clark/Matt Birklid Got in through the Qualifier so they've already proven me wrong.

Alex "All She Does Is Win" Carlson/Derrick McLean

Chris Plys/ Aileen Geving That's Aileen Sormunen for those of us who haven't been paying attention to the wedding announcements. Her husband is really big guy with a military background, so don't be surprised if Plys doesn't hug her after a win.

Joe "Cool" Polo/Tabs Peterson

Cory Christensen/John Shuster Names we know. Will Face be focused or will his mind be on Worlds?

Vicky Persinger/Jared Zezel Both looked very good on the hits at the Seattle Nationals. Draws?

POOL B

Matt Hamilton/Becca Hamilton Brother/sister team can flat out play.

Courtney George/Tyler George Brother/sister team can flat out play.

Kroy Nernberger/Nina Roth Will Nina's focus be on Worlds?

Jamie Sinclair/Korey Dropkin Korey won this with Sarah Anderson and looked impressive doing so.

Maureen Stolt/Peter Stolt Husband/wife who have won this before.

Monica Walker/Jason Smith Smitty won this last year, but Joe Cool went to Worlds. I forget why.

Time for the picks:

I have no idea. It's Mixed Doubles. Throw the names in a hat and place your bets? OK, I'll give it a shot.

Pool A; I don't see the pure shooting of Plys/Geving and Shuster/Christensen getting stopped short of the playoffs, but I need to have room for Joe Cool/Tabs. Zezel has played well in this format before (with Sophie Brorson) and can light it up, so he and Persinger would be my longshot...if there is such a thing as a longshot. Gimme Shuster/Christensen and Polo/Peterson.

Pool B; Oh man, I don't know. Any of them could be hot and walk through. I'm liking Tiger George and Court for a silly reason that's bugging the back of my brain. I think that Tiger thinks that Court is underestimated and should be more prominent in the Olympic picture. Therefore, I think Tiger is in it to win it and they'll do very well. For my other pick, I guess I liked Beighton/WalkerTwo before the season started, so I'll take Smitty/WalkerOne.

So Face/Cory, Cool/Tab, Tiger/Court and Smitty/WalkerOne in the playoffs. I'll pick Sinclair/Dropkin for the final Trials spot.

Gimme Cool/Tabs over Tiger/Court in the gold medal game.

If I get any of this right, I may grow to be insufferable. If anybody gets the Gold Medal team AND the 5 Olympic Trial Teams correct, they get serious Mixed Doubles props.

Make your picks,
Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-01-17 10:21AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

Can anyone tell me what happened to the Dropkin/Anderson pairing, and why I don't see Sarah playing with anyone? Did she stop with Doubles, or have teams just moved on, and she is not in this event?

03-01-17 10:31AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Nobody brave enough to make picks? I understand. Mixed Doubles...nobody knows...not played often...very even field...prognosticating this one could make one look stupid...anybody could win.

Don't be afraid to look stupid. I often look stupid and offend good curlers and then become insufferable the few times I guess correctly. The sun still rises the next morning. Make your picks.

So some more thoughts to help you with your picks:

Stolt/Stolt did win this once. Don't forget, however, that Dropkin The Younger was very, very fortunate to beat them two years ago in Wisconsin. They really should have two golds from this stuff.

Kroy and Nina actually play Mixed Doubles on a regular basis. It's a quirky game and they might have a quirky edge on the field.

Hammy/Lil Miss Hammy have played well in Mixed Doubles, but have never really killed it. It's possible that the format doesn't match their talents, but I think it's more likely that it's just a matter of time until they really kill it. Maybe this is the week.

Now I know that many, many curlers don't care about Mixed Doubles. For the most part, I don't care about Mixed Doubles. The only reason I care about this Nationals is that I like lots of these curlers. Very soon, however, we might care very much. Medal sport. Coverage. Two of our curlers in Korea against the world.

I don't know if the HPP has one designated curling coach working on Mixed Doubles or not. If not, we probably should. It's a medal sport. Whether we love the format or not (I do not), it's time to take it seriously and do all we can to give our athletes the best chance to win. When do you use your Power Play? Heck, I don't even know what that is; but it's time somebody gives it some serious thought.

Ben Tucker

03-01-17 10:48AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Curlky,

Sarah and Korey were dating at the height of their Mixed Doubles success. They tried to continue as a team after they quit dating, but that wasn't working. Too bad. Nice kids. Nice team.

Now I would LOVE to tease Dropkin The Younger for being the total idiot that let Sarah Anderson get away, but I doubt that anyone (except myself) would find it funny.

Is this stuff private? I don't think so. These kids are becoming stars and this crap comes with the territory.

Ben Tucker

03-01-17 11:41AM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

All I can figure about mixed doubles is that when it works, it works, and it worked quite well for Polo and Peterson last year. They won bronze in the World Championships, and a lot of their scores were not close. Whatever it takes to succeed in this wacky event, they've figured it out. Can't pick against them.

The Stolts have some OK results this year. Christensen/Shuster split two games with Jennifer Jones at the wonderfully named Wall Grain event this year, so that's something.

So I'll take Polo/Peterson and Christensen/Shuster out of Pool A. From Pool B, take the Stolts and the Georges. Then Polo/Peterson over the Stolts in the final.

Fifth spot? Let me grab a dartboard ... um, yeah, I'll also go with Sinclair/Dropkin. 3-0 in qualifiers. Why not.

03-01-17 11:51AM
curlky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlky Click here to Send curlky a Private Message Find more posts by curlky Add curlky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlky
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by tuck
Curlky,

Sarah and Korey were dating at the height of their Mixed Doubles success. They tried to continue as a team after they quit dating, but that wasn't working. Too bad. Nice kids. Nice team.

Now I would LOVE to tease Dropkin The Younger for being the total idiot that let Sarah Anderson get away, but I doubt that anyone (except myself) would find it funny.

Is this stuff private? I don't think so. These kids are becoming stars and this crap comes with the territory.

Ben Tucker

tuck, I knew most of that, but has Sarah quit mixed doubles, or is she just without a partner in the shuffle?

03-01-17 11:55AM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

Although I really don't like watching mixed doubles and think it is a poor use of curling ice for the Olympics, I will play along because Tuck seems lonely.

It is hard to look at teams and make a prediction because skills from the real curling game and this derivation do not transfer 1 for 1. If they did Shuster and Christensen would be my choice vs. Sinclair/Dropkin for the final. But, as in normal curling, there is a "the whole is greater than the sum of the parts" calculation that tells me this is not the right pick. Walker/Smith won it last year, they obviously add up higher.

My pick is Polo/Peterson beating Walker/Smith in the final.

Other finalists, Dropkin/Sinclair and Carlson/McLean.

03-01-17 12:18PM
noleary is offline Click Here to See the Profile for noleary Click here to Send noleary a Private Message Find more posts by noleary Add noleary to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
noleary
Knee-Slider

Sarah was paired with Craig Brown in the qualifier, where they did not advance.

I pick Polo/Peterson, but it is a crap shoot who they beat to get there. Joe didn't get near the playing time he deserves this year, so this is his time to shine.

Norma

03-01-17 01:00PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Don't listen to noleary. The only thing she knows is golf. Yeah, she has some National medals, but big deal. Face Shuster has two pocketfuls of those and he doesn't know crap about curling. (for the slow witted, that was all in jest)

Biterbar joins the conversation. He's buying my Win prediction, but uses Smitty/WalkerOne to fill out his exacta wager. He has yet to name a fifth Trials team.

PD comes along and uses "logic" and "past results". Silly PD. First, this is online forum; so logic has no place here. Second, like they always say on Wall Street, past performance is no guarantee of future results. It's Mixed Doubles! Use a dartboard! For that matter, use a dartboard for Wall Street as well.

Prediction: Depending on the outcome of the Women's and Men's Olympic Trials, look for Sarah Anderson and Heater McCormick to paired for the Mixed Trials. OK, to be honest, I heard that and didn't come up with it on my own.

Ben Tucker

03-01-17 01:31PM
biterbar is offline Click Here to See the Profile for biterbar Click here to Send biterbar a Private Message Find more posts by biterbar Add biterbar to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
biterbar
Drawmaster

5 teams?

OK, I am picking Nernberger/Roth. They have known each other for years, have the skills and maybe have the extra it takes to play this game.

03-01-17 01:46PM
curlky
Drawmaster

In all seriousness, I think that Mixed Doubles right now is a perfect example of making the statement past performance does not guarantee future success accurate. The game is so new, even with major rule changes happening every year, I just dont think that any past success or failure will indicate anything about what is going on. It is a major undertaking to figure out the true ins and outs of the game at the highest levels, especially since there are no major curlers who have a primary focus on mixed doubles. Sure the people participating are amazing curlers, but knowing every last trick of the game is still a skill that is to come. With that being said, out of pool B, I find little doubt that Nina/Kroy and Jamie/Korey are the teams to beat. And in pool A, I will go for Polo/Tabs and Persinger/Zezel. Many people think Cory/Shuster, but to me (and I admit this is my stubborn opinion based upon the past) I see Shuster as a great choke artist based upon his Olympic skipping past (I know he has had tons of success lately but I am extremely stubborn and never forget). But for a more technical call on that, I dont like that the Shuster/Cory team do not have anyone who is a primary sweeper. For me, I feel like one of the 2 mixed doubles players needs to be a sweeper in regular curling (sweeping is exhausting and I just dont see 2 skips pulling it off for a whole tournament). Frankly I think that you need that sweeper to be a badass sweeper since you only have 1 person, and a partial inch makes a huge difference in the draw/freeze game. In the end, I will go with Jamie/Korey riding Jamies hot streak since the end of the Vegas.

Last edited by curlky on 03-01-17 at 07:13PM

03-02-17 01:22PM
BDure is offline Click Here to See the Profile for BDure Click here to Send BDure a Private Message Visit BDure's homepage! Find more posts by BDure Add BDure to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

Do I remember correctly that Brady and Cristin Clark used to play together?

03-02-17 02:03PM
birvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for birvin Click here to Send birvin a Private Message Visit birvin's homepage! Find more posts by birvin Add birvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
birvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

Yes, Cristin and Brady Clark won this event in (I believe) 2009, 2011 and 2012. More details here: http://www.teamusa.org/usa-curling/...s/cristin-clark

03-02-17 04:05PM
biterbar
Drawmaster

Broadcast for Mixed doubles is now beginning, go to the teamusa.org website.

I will try to watch.

03-02-17 07:56PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Curlky, my friend, I'll have to help you over your stubbornness. At the current rate of your healing, you will be the only one questioning Face Shuster at his Hall of Fame induction.

Face has 7 National gold medals. He has a Worlds bronze, an Olympics bronze and World University Games gold.

John Shuster, who is not yet old, has won over 100 games at Men's Nationals. Let that sink in for a minute. 100 wins. The majority of those wins came with a non-funded team.

Ky, you have to let go of your initial impressions. Looking at the large body of work, it seems that your impressions come from almost anecdotal evidence.

Anyway, back to the fun stuff. I get Cool with Tabs and you have The Savior with The Younger. You make some good points about sweeping. I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that my team has sweepers that are much better than yours.

Changing the topic: I think we could all get more excited about this weekend in Blaine if they had called it The Olympic Trials Qualifier instead of Mixed Doubles Nationals. It's both, but the Olympic half is more exciting.

Swerving yet again: I hear that Jake Higgs is the HPP guy for Mixed Doubles. I've only met him once, but he's know to be fun and very bright. I don't know how much he knows about Mixed Doubles, but I hope it's a ton.

Ben Tucker

03-02-17 09:30PM
curlky
Drawmaster

tuck, sometimes IO have to think way too much to figure out who you mean with nicknames. Regardless, assumign Face is Shuster, I will only say the Olympics are the ultimate in curilng, and until Shuster at least finishes in the top half there, past perforamnces as a skip will hang over him. He is an amazing talent with huge upside, but for now the past is teh past.

Anyway, my only concern about yoru pick is that in watching Curling NIght and the women's naiotnals, I felt like Tabitha struggled with weight on draws (seemed to have a bunch of bad misses) and with all the talent in the field, it makes me wonder.

03-03-17 12:07AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Kentucky, that's a fair assessment, but I'm sticking with my picks. Usually, at this point in the discussion, I type "Would you like to wager a cocktail or two?" For Mixed Doubles, however, I'm more than a little hesitant. It feels like betting on a coin flip; especially with this field. For now, I will hang my hat upon "My sweepers are better than yours" and hope for the best.

Ben Tucker

03-03-17 09:24AM
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
PD comes along and uses "logic" and "past results". Silly PD. First, this is online forum; so logic has no place here. Second, like they always say on Wall Street, past performance is no guarantee of future results. It's Mixed Doubles! Use a dartboard! For that matter, use a dartboard for Wall Street as well.

So I should ditch the spreadsheet?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...039&single=true

03-03-17 06:55PM
curlinglove is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlinglove Find more posts by curlinglove Add curlinglove to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlinglove
Harvey Hacksmasher

The top five teams in this event qualify to the Mixed Doubles Olympic Trials. Is that the only way to qualify to the Olympic Trials?

03-03-17 07:23PM
dbsdbs is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dbsdbs Click here to Send dbsdbs a Private Message Find more posts by dbsdbs Add dbsdbs to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbsdbs
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by curlinglove
The top five teams in this event qualify to the Mixed Doubles Olympic Trials. Is that the only way to qualify to the Olympic Trials?

Surely you jest! How can there be any USCA national event that does not include Discretionary Selections?

03-03-17 11:09PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Spreadsheet? I used to use those. Then I decided that I didn't want to die a virgin.

Now I rely solely on my faulty memory. Yes, the same faulty memory that forgot that Joe Cool Polo and Tabs Peterson DID win Nationals last year. I was fooled by a faulty press release into thinking Smitty won it last year.

Yep, faulty memory and gut instinct. That's what you need for superior prognostication. Facts just get into the way.

8 teams got to the Olympic Trials. The top 5 here and 3 HPP discretionary picks. Some of this week's top 5 may qualify for Men's or Women's in November and decline their invitation to the MD Trials, but that's unlikely. The Korea Olympics schedule is set to allow curlers to participate in both disciplines.

Ben Tucker

03-04-17 12:16PM
dunnam101 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dunnam101 Click here to Send dunnam101 a Private Message Find more posts by dunnam101 Add dunnam101 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dunnam101
Knee-Slider

Who won last Roth game? I've been waiting for hours for a result. Changes playoffs

03-04-17 12:37PM
Grat is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Grat Click here to Send Grat a Private Message Find more posts by Grat Add Grat to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grat
Hitting Paint

Pretty sure it was Roth over George. Which leaves 7 of the 12 teams at 2-3. How do you pick 5th place out of that?

03-04-17 12:58PM
BDure
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Spreadsheet? I used to use those. Then I decided that I didn't want to die a virgin.

Now I rely solely on my faulty memory. Yes, the same faulty memory that forgot that Joe Cool Polo and Tabs Peterson DID win Nationals last year. I was fooled by a faulty press release into thinking Smitty won it last year.

Yep, faulty memory and gut instinct. That's what you need for superior prognostication. Facts just get into the way.

8 teams got to the Olympic Trials. The top 5 here and 3 HPP discretionary picks. Some of this week's top 5 may qualify for Men's or Women's in November and decline their invitation to the MD Trials, but that's unlikely. The Korea Olympics schedule is set to allow curlers to participate in both disciplines.

Ben Tucker

I took up spreadsheets after I had kids.

Polo and Peterson have lived up to my expectations. That makes me ... one out of four?

03-04-17 01:10PM
fanofcurling is offline Click Here to See the Profile for fanofcurling Click here to Send fanofcurling a Private Message Find more posts by fanofcurling Add fanofcurling to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fanofcurling
Harvey Hacksmasher

This is completely messed up. After a two pool round robin with five games in each pool, they have eliminated ONE team out of TWELVE and we have SEVEN teams with losing records playing for a quarter final berth. Why was there a round robin? What reward was there for Persinger/Zezel for going 4-1? They have a quarter final game against a team that finished below .500 in round robin play.