Stroeder Final
Delorey (7)
M: NWTCA Curling Club Championships
Fort Smith, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 3 -- Sat, Mar 23 -- 1:00pm ET
Delorey Final
Lockhart (EE)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-22-13 08:48AM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

2013 Mens World

Brady, Sean, Darren and Phillip will soon be taking the short trip to Victoria to represent our country.

Actually, they are there this weekend as well. They are prepping for Worlds by playing in the Victoria Curling Classic...formerly the Bear Mountain. Same town as Worlds, but (I believe) not the same arena.

It is an incredible field. Our guys started out with a loss to Gushue. Actually, they got pounded. They rebounded, however, to pound the Finnish team. Next up in this 3KO event is a very good team from Sweden.

Ben Tucker

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-22-13 11:07PM
tuck is offline Click Here to See the Profile for tuck Click here to Send tuck a Private Message Find more posts by tuck Add tuck to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Brady and Boys lose to the Swedes, but rebound to beat Laycock (a dang good rink out of Sask). Sitting in the C event, they await the loser of Thomas Ulsrud and some guy named Kevin Martin. Yogi Bear Martin is up one with the hammer as I type, so it looks like it will be Ulsrud.

Our guys are doing OK...looking like they belong. Good prep work for Victoria Worlds.

Ben Tucker

03-24-13 03:15PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

teams and comments

Not as good as Tuck but here goes. Oly points in parens. Of the teams not playing with Oly points, only New Zealand is ahead of the US with 8 points. If the US tied with them the US would get the tiebreaker which is most recent World appearance. Top 7 make the Olys.

Canada (14) Obvious favorite, home country, home ice (sort of), unlike Homan will not have to deal with foreign food, ice and rocks.

china (7) Played a bunch in Canada this year. Looked good at times. Pressure on them to stay on the Oly spot.

czech republic (1) Played well at the Euros. They can win games when they shouldn't. Keep gaining experience and no longer overwhelmed.

denmark (6) Stjerne the younger returns. Not a bad showing last year.

finland (0) First kick at the can in a while since Markku retired. Made it through Euros so they are somewhat battle tested. Don't think they made any trips to Canada this year.

japan (0) Don't know this team at all but they helped the US by eliminating New Zealand.

norway (9) If they stay healthy, always a threat.

russia (0) In the Olys so this is a tune-up. Don't see them doing much. Wonder if they will do the line-up switcheroo like the women?

scotland (12) The WCF site has Murdoch listed as skip. I thought Brewster was skipping? I could look up what happened at Euros but I will leave that to others. Obviously a threat but don't think Jacobs will throw away a rock ala Martin.

sweden (10) Edin gets better every year. Could this be his year?

switzerland (4) They had a decent year and did okay at Euros. Never know with the Swiss teams. They have figured out that the best coaches come from Canada, something the US might want to think about.

USA (5) Close to home. Mr. Clark played in BC a few times and did pretty well. Same time zone I think really helps this team. Also, they should have great support from the fans (at least I hope a bunch will be there). Playoffs, maybe not, TB possible. The important thing is a top 7 finish to ensure the Oly spot. The big games are China, Denmark and Switzerland.

JH
USA! USA! USA!

03-24-13 04:06PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

I look for Sweden and China to vie for the gold. Canada, Scotland and Norway to chase them into the playoffs.

Switzerland and the USA can spoil the party.

That leaves me with the Czechs, Japan, Denmark, Finland and Russia on the outside.

I see our Olympic spot as safe. Finishing ahead of Denmark would help. Finishing at least 10th to pass New Zealand would help. Not having the Czechs surprise the field and finish way ahead of us would help...same for Japan and Finland who have to finish close to the playoffs while hoping we finish near the bottom.

I am worried about Team USA. They did have some good results in the cashspiels this year and that is great. They certainly have the talent at all four positions. Still, they are a relatively new team with limited international exposure.

One thing gives me great hope, however: They strongly remind me of the Birr rink that medaled at Worlds in BC. Both rinks were smart. Both rinks featured a skip who is mentally strong and a lock to make that pressure shot in the final end. Brady Clark does not even see pressure...he only sees that the spotlight is on him and it is an opportunity to showoff his skills.

Ben Tucker

03-24-13 05:04PM
jhcurl is offline Click Here to See the Profile for jhcurl Click here to Send jhcurl a Private Message Visit jhcurl's homepage! Find more posts by jhcurl Add jhcurl to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Um, dude, I know you are The Tuck and all but that was in Edmonton (2007). I was one of the 10 US supporters there. We were having a nice dinner with some curlers when the US beat Canada. Besides, that is unforgettable as Mrs. JHcurl was having a good time getting drunk with Peja and others.

JH
I think the curlers were Dave and Heather? But I don't follow curling so not sure.

03-24-13 06:39PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Dude, get over it. One poster said one untrue thing. It's not like they changed the TV from curling to hockey. Let it go.

I think the Swiss or the Americans or both will be the teams to surprise the field and the fans. I fear that Norway might be the team to surprise us with a sub-par disappointment.

Ben Tucker
I've been called an idiot far more often than JH

03-29-13 12:29AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Team USA starts off with two games that look to be winnable...Denmark and Japan. Then comes a (possibly) big game (with Olympic berth implications) against the Swiss.

Hopefully our guys will be 3-0 or 2-1 at that point, because next is a tough four-game stretch against Sweden, Canada, China and Scotland. It would be great to pick up one of those games...win two of those four and we are Playoff Bound.

The remaining schedule looks favorable...Finns, Czechs, Russians and finishing against Norway.

Then again; who's to say what part of the schedule will be toughest? Team Heater played poorly at the beginning of Worlds last year against teams the ended up at the bottom of the standings, but played well against the teams in the second half of the draw that finished high.

It's curling. Who can say? Same teams but two weeks later and it's an entirely different finish.

In order, I like:
Sweden-Gold
China-Silver
Canada-Bronze
Scotland
Switzerland
USA
Norway
Denmark
Japan
Russia
Czechoslovakia (thank you, Spell Check)
Finland

#2 thru #7 you could just throw into a hat...they could come out in any order. This is just my Two Cents worth. My heart says that Clark and Company will pass up the Swiss and the Scots, but this is the list my head made.

I fear the combined talent of the Scottish team and their international experience. I watched them play early in the season with Murdoch at third. In an eight sheet club, he appeared to be enjoying the game more than any other curler out there. If they jell (and they have yet to jell for any real success), they could make life tough in this Worlds and in the next Olympics.

Ben Tucker
Cheering hard for the USA

03-29-13 11:13AM
TJNCJ is offline Click Here to See the Profile for TJNCJ Click here to Send TJNCJ a Private Message Find more posts by TJNCJ Add TJNCJ to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TJNCJ
Swing Artist

I just can't see throwing Jacobs in that pack of " pull out of a hat" positions 2-7. To say six teams will finish in front of team Canada is a bit hard for me to agree with. They are curling at home, beat out half of the top ten teams in the world already at the Brier and are not new to this kind of pressure.

Oh, and they are 3-0 against Edin winning 6-1, 5-4 and 6-2 this year.

I might give you 3-7 and a hat to pull them from, but Team Eazy Express isn't one of them.

TJ

Last edited by TJNCJ on 03-29-13 at 11:20AM

03-29-13 02:13PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

Back to the Oly qualifying. I have searched all over the WCF site and cannot find the answer. What happens in the event of a tie in points, say US and Swiss end up tied. I know one TB is most recent World appearance, obviously that would not apply.

Anyone?
JH

03-29-13 08:13PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

TJNCJ is backin' Jacobs. Cool. I can see your thinking.

I, on the other hand, could see Canada finishing behind teams like Scotland, Switzerland and Norway. I could see them having a tough week and missing the playoffs.

In support of your point of view: I don't ever recall Canada finishing worst than a tie for fourth in Mens. Certainly not on their home soil.

In further support: This is a good team. Anyone who was "shocked" by their Brier win just hasn't been paying attention. Check out Al Hackner's pre-Brier picks in the Canadian Curling News. True, the Iceman is a Northern Ontario homer...but he called it closer than anybody else. Kinda eerie how he called it dang near right on.

It will play out and TJNCJ will type "I told you so." I did pick Canada for the bronze...but if they stomp the round robin, I'll eat some crow.

Ben Tucker

03-29-13 09:47PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by jhcurl
Back to the Oly qualifying. I have searched all over the WCF site and cannot find the answer. What happens in the event of a tie in points, say US and Swiss end up tied. I know one TB is most recent World appearance, obviously that would not apply.

Anyone?
JH

Higher placement this year takes the spot.

03-30-13 10:00AM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

For those who are not there or don't have access to TSN, Universal sports will have games online. However, ONLY if you have Universal on your cable/satellite provider. That leaves out a whole bunch of people.

The World Curling channel on Youtube will also be showing games. Not sure which ones will be available here if any.

JH
happy to have the satellite system

Last edited by jhcurl on 03-30-13 at 10:43AM

03-30-13 10:30AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Universal seems scheduled to mostly cover Sweden. Are they big in Sweden? TSN will, naturally, focus on Team Canada. Bottom line: I shoulda flown to BC. Lovely part of the world and nice guys rep-ing the USA. I'm an idiot...but my kids are home for Easter and I didn't want to miss out on that.

As for my comment "#2-#7 you can throw into a hat"...poorly said and TJNCJ called me on it.

How would one properly say, "I wouldn't be a ton of money...even if you gave me good odds...on any of those teams finishing ahead of any of those other teams"? I'm not saying "Canada might even finish seventh" as much as I'm saying "I have Norway finishing seventh, but it wouldn't shock me if they finished ahead of Canada and/or China".

Put another way: Here are all 12 teams listed in my predicted order of finish...but I'm not very confident in the order of #2 through #7.

Ben Tucker
Idiot for not flying out there

04-01-13 08:27AM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Easter Sunday was more like Black Sunday for USA curling. Losing to both Japan and Switzerland sets us back to 1-2.

Now begins a stretch of tough games...if you think we know which teams are tougher and which teams are weaker.

The good news is that the "tough" teams haven't been looking very tough. Both Scotland and Canada struggled with weight in the first half of their game last night. Canada only looks incredible when they have a lead. Scotland doesn't, yet, look like a lock for a medal. China and Sweden don't have line scores that strike fear into the heart.

Better day today? Kinda need one win out of the these two tough matchups.

Ben Tucker

04-01-13 03:21PM
GregJP is offline Click Here to See the Profile for GregJP Click here to Send GregJP a Private Message Find more posts by GregJP Add GregJP to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GregJP
Swing Artist

quote:
Czechoslovakia (thank you, Spell Check)

Surely you realize that Czechoslovakia hasn't existed as a country in over 20 years.

You do realize there's also no Soviet Union, Yugoslavia, West Germany. Do you?

04-01-13 04:41PM
jhcurl
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP

Surely you realize that Czechoslovakia hasn't existed as a country in over 20 years.

That might be the best post I have ever read on here about curli.....wait, what?

JH
North Umbria has also gone away, too bad they made good curling stones.

04-01-13 05:47PM
Frykenstein is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Frykenstein Click here to Send Frykenstein a Private Message Find more posts by Frykenstein Add Frykenstein to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Frykenstein
Harvey Hacksmasher

quote:
Originally posted by GregJP

Lighten up, Francis. Tuck still farms his little corner of the Dakota Territory with oxen. Besides, he's in good company. If I had a dollar for every time somebody on this site wrote "parody" when they meant "parity" I could buy Tuck a really nice world atlas. From 1989.

Last edited by Frykenstein on 04-01-13 at 05:53PM

04-01-13 05:56PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

Come on Gerry...we really need a like button

04-01-13 07:08PM
curlny is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlny Click here to Send curlny a Private Message Find more posts by curlny Add curlny to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlny
Hitting Paint

more so a don't like button

04-01-13 09:41PM
tuck
Super Rockchucker

Great. I finally learn to spell Czechoslovakia and now it doesn't exist anymore.

Ben Tucker
Still learning in my old age...learned about Latvia last week

04-01-13 10:28PM
mr. lucky is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mr. lucky Find more posts by mr. lucky Add mr. lucky to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr. lucky
Hitting Paint

Just watched Cambridge vs Oxford in rowing on NBC Universal...riveting

It was a tie. I think they called it parody.

Last edited by mr. lucky on 04-01-13 at 10:30PM

04-02-13 09:35AM
nom de broom is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nom de broom Find more posts by nom de broom Add nom de broom to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nom de broom
Harvey Hacksmasher

I think we all need to take a deep breath and re-connect with our natural CZ civility. Here's a tutorial on web etiquette that might help:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DE-8yO3fnJ4

04-03-13 12:58PM
melvin is offline Click Here to See the Profile for melvin Click here to Send melvin a Private Message Find more posts by melvin Add melvin to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
melvin
Harvey Hacksmasher

damn you nom!