Spain  
Italy  
Turkiye  
Estonia  
Switzerland  
France  
Norway  
Japan  
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
09-29-14 08:39PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

The Year So Far

It is of course 'early times' and so not the time to be drawing any definitive conclusions.

Still there are a few noteworthy developments.

The 'team to date' is without a doubt Team McEwen.

There were some who doubted the wisdom of this team staying together. There were others like Gerry who were really pulling for them to stay together. (as was I) Believing that they were already one of the best teams in the world and their luck was bound to change sometime.

Well that time would appear to be this time. They are undefeated so far this year and have won two Championship Finals in a row. Which has got to be super sweet after their loss of 8 out of 9 at one point on the gold trail.

Team Jacobs have also been really hot. Having lost only one game this year.

Which brings us to our first surprise of the year. Team Epping has played three spiels this year and have roared out the gate with an 18-6 record. That's a lot of win guys. On the loss side of the column three of their losses to Jacobs and two to McEwen both in Championship Finals. They got a small measure of revenge against Jacobs this weekend beating them in the Semi of the Point Optical.

We here in Ontario have long known Epping capable of Koe like games. I.e. Making everything no matter how crazy ass the shot. Maybe he's found the team that will let him compete on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong he's had success before. Player's Championship, qualifying for the Roar of the Rings. But never really threatening to be one of the top five teams in the country. Might be we have an answer to who can take over for Team Howard when they finally call it quits in five or ten years:-)

But as I said, it's by no means time to be drawing conclusions. Interesting start to the season though.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

09-29-14 11:42PM
mcgregorm89 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for mcgregorm89 Click here to Send mcgregorm89 a Private Message Find more posts by mcgregorm89 Add mcgregorm89 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcgregorm89
Swing Artist

I was really surprised to see that Epping had actually managed to win over Jacobs in the semi finals of the point optical, to bad it wasn't being streamed. They also got pretty close at winning the final. They might even be able to get by Howard this year for the brier if they keep up playing the way they have but again it's early. Martin expected more to retire with him, I think he might have more following him soon. The game is changing and now it seems the younger teams are working better.

09-29-14 11:53PM
JB42 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for JB42 Click here to Send JB42 a Private Message Find more posts by JB42 Add JB42 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JB42
Drawmaster

I come not to praise Howard.......

Bit early to bury Team Howard.

They've played one event and made the semi-final.

They'll be playing their next event at my home club, High Park in the Stu Sells where they are defending champs. There they will have to get by Jacobs. Epping will be there as well as the new Team Keane. Be interesting to see those two square off.

More importantly however Team Howard will be on the ice with yours truly this weekend:-)

Yup, I've signed up for the Team Howard Curling Camp and it's happening this coming weekend in Guelph. Gonna be a blast I'm sure. For this kind of thing at least there is still no better team in curling foh sure:-)

Last edited by JB42 on 09-29-14 at 11:55PM

09-30-14 10:07AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

im not trying to discredit mcewen or anything but we have seen this hot start from them every single year. while they might not go undefeated they always start off the season strong and it hasnt yet meant the big win when it counts.

epping is another one who's usually stronger in the early part of the season so, again im not all that surprised.also not all to surprised about his win over jacobs because he's had a lot of success against him in the past.

i think one team that might be slightly disappointed so far is edin. yes he's qualified for every event he's played but i believe he's lost in the QF every single time.

shout out to kristy mcdonald who won her opening season event and steve irwin who got to the final in theirs.

over in stockholm shout out to sigfridsson who railroaded all 3 canadian teams present. seriously impressive stuff from them all torunament but from the QF on they outscored middaugh, jones and homan by a total of 23-9 and allowed only 2 deuces in those 3 games. jen will be happy with her start to the season..or will she? 3 losses in all and 2 of them werent even close.

binia feltscher, the raining world champion did not give a good account of herself in her season opener.

Last edited by misty1 on 09-30-14 at 10:09AM

09-30-14 10:36AM
albetts is offline Click Here to See the Profile for albetts Click here to Send albetts a Private Message Find more posts by albetts Add albetts to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
albetts
Super Rockchucker

Re: Re: I come not to praise Howard.......

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
[B]

I notice while you defend Howard you're silence speaks volumes on Stoughton. I suspect Jeff will be spot tough at the events he enters this year and his presence at the Manitoba Tankard will still terrify most of the 31 other teams.

One thing about guys like Jeff & Glenn. Experience has taught them how to play 'the draw' and I don't mean shots. They know they can throw away a game in a triple knockout tourney, even lose a second tighty to a hot round-robin team BUT they specialize in qualifying.

My response to that statement.
Are you saying that these curlers actually throw games to better their chances for qualifying in playoffs. I don't know about that. Sounds kinda dicey to me. Will you clarify that statement? Regards