Forums Menu

User: 
Pass:  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 26 of 37 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
02-22-13 10:59AM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad

NS played as bad an end of curling as I have seen. It has been sad to see these once great curlers trying to compete way past their best-by date.

Was I the only one who was surprised that they tried a difficult double run back, instead of just tapping their own open rock in the 12 ft back for shot or 2nd shot? If they'd played the latter shot properly, I don't know what Ontario does.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

02-22-13 12:25PM
dugless_zone 13 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dugless_zone 13 Click here to Send dugless_zone 13 a Private Message Find more posts by dugless_zone 13 Add dugless_zone 13 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dugless_zone 13
Drawmaster

I'm sure Alberta is glad relegation doesn't start next year.

02-22-13 12:38PM
Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Unregistered

So if ontario and team canada both win this afternoon, that sets up a huge game between the two of them this evening.Winner gets a spot in the 1vs 2 gm. Loser drops down into the sudden-death 3 vs 4 gm.

Also jen jones and manitoba will most likely be looking to etch their name in the scotties history book.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.85.186.225

02-22-13 12:48PM
nelsosi is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelsosi Click here to Send nelsosi a Private Message Find more posts by nelsosi Add nelsosi to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelsosi
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by dugless_zone 13
I'm sure Alberta is glad relegation doesn't start next year.

Definitely.
Having said that, risk of relegation will definitely add some intrigue to some of these late-week matches in the future.

02-22-13 12:52PM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

what is relegation

02-22-13 01:17PM
Unregistered

Re: Broadcasting Stuff

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend
Just wanted to take a couple moments to comment about the broadcasting at this year's event. Could be an essay so I'll just condense it to grades for particular performers, broadcasters, direction, etc.

Cathy Gauther - A+ (best TSN b'caster this week)
Linda Moore - B (typical Linda Moore)
Russ Howard - C- (worst Russ Howard performance ever)
Vic Rauter - B+ (a bit more animated than usual, perhaps trying to help Russ thru his funk)
Brian Mudryk - C (Cathy Gauthier will have to see a chiropracter after carrying this guy all week)
TSN Game choice - D (some very poor choices early in the week)
TSN Direction - B+ (very good as usual, nice close-ups and replays)
TSN Pre-Game - A (always well produced, always a bit emotional)
TSN in-game features - C+ (too much replay of the Ford Hotshots, too many repeat commercials)
STOH & WOmen's Curling history - D (other than Sandra Schmirler Day, they almost completely ignored the history of women's curling; how hard would it be to show some of the great old-timers of the game throwing rocks - ie. Joyce McKee, Betty Duguid, Susan Seitz, Connie Laliberte, Colleen Jones, Heather Houston, Kim Gellard, Georgina Wheatcroft, Kelley Law, Shannon Kleibrink)

Actually I like Howard and give him a B- . He's no Moose but he's himself. Its Linda Moore that I'm not a fan of and wouldn't mind if she got replaced by even Richard Hart. The Ford Hotshot commercials get really stale after a while as good as the competition is. It wouldn't hurt TSN having the Ford Hotshot as a feature.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 142.161.159.24

02-22-13 01:30PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by sooner
what is relegation

quote From mixed The bottom four will be relegated into a four-team double-knockout next year, whereupon two of those squads will win their way back into a 12-team Mixed field for 2013.

The Canadian Curling Association is using the mixed and seniors as pilot projects to see if the relegation system can be adopted at the biggest events of all: The men’s Brier and women’s Tournament of Hearts. end quote

02-22-13 01:39PM
sooner is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sooner Find more posts by sooner Add sooner to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sooner
Hitting Paint

thanks decade

02-22-13 01:43PM
Unregistered

Unless JJ has completely changed her ways (and there are signs that she has), chances of her going 11-0 are slim (even though the only teams that stand in her way are NB & Sk).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge JJ fan, but this team has never been able to handle prosperity. They have a long history of throwing games you would never expect them to lose, and of hanging close to teams that they should demolish.

I expect one of NB or Sk to come to play (maybe both) and I expect a significant let-down from the JJ team in general.

As a side-note, they were showing Homan's percentage going into the game with Manitoba as the best for a skip in this event ever (I think it was 87%). Honan has since slipped considerably and JJ has boosted hers to 86%. Although it is unlikely she can maintain her 86% average, I think the best ever is 84%.

So in addition to the perfect 11-0 records, she may just come out of this week with the best ever average by a skip at the Scotties!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.200.189.2

02-22-13 02:33PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Jones is now guaranteed the 1 or 2 spot, even if she drops her final two games. The incentive to win one more game is last brick in the first end of the 1-2 game. She didn't have it vs. Rachel yesterday and still won it should be noted.

So Jones will be weekend 2 feature for TSN and TSN should be thankful she'll give them a decent audience. Imagine 1-2 games between Amber Holland and Marie-France Larouche or Gum Jones (Colleen) vs. Kelly "Pass the Dainties" Scott.

If JOnes is still viable for an undefeated 11-0 record going into her final game with Jill Shumway I think that game should be the feature game. Jill has proven to give a lot of top teams some torment, just not enough horsepower to navigate a championship.

The Vegas line should on who will win should now be as follows

1. Jennifer Jones - 47%
2. Rachel Homan - 33%
3. Kelly Scott - 12%
4. H. Nedohin - 8%

Heather was flying on a cloud earlier this week but something happened to her when she was dealt a loss by JJ. Homan was obliterating teams and very confident until getting into that thrashup with JJ, now she's got a player riddled with doubts (Ali K) and you can tell the tension is very much ramped up as Rachel started to back-talk to her team. Of course, getting embarrassed by a senior ladies team for 8 or 9 ends will add to your anxiety and only Gum Jones & MA imploding at the end saved the day for Ms. Homan.

That leaves Kelly Scott, she of the dainty english language of sweetness. After a rocky first four days, the Scott team seems to have found itself and I would have to favour them in any 3-4 match vs. Nedohin, primarily because Jeanna Schraeder will shred Iskiw and Scott is a better touch curler than Nedohin, also keeps her emotions in check.

If Jones defeats Homan, I suspect Homan overwhelms Sweety Scott regardless of how well Jeanna plays. If Homan knocks off Jones in the 1-2 I suspect JJ will have a very difficult time with Scott, especially if the loss to Homan is her first 'Out' in the event.

Still predicting a Jones v. Homan final but if Scott takes out Nedohin and Jones drops into the semi-final (via loss to Homan) I'd almost be tempted to put the odds of Jones vs. Scott as nearly 50/50, maybe only a slight edge to Jones owing to her big shot capabilities.

You paint an utterly bizzaro universe that bears little resemblence to reality beyond the team names and game results. You have absolutely no idea what motivates and drives a team like Homan or Jones.

How is a tight game a "thrash up" ? Honestly get a grip its all very silly.

02-22-13 02:42PM
Nine Ender is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Nine Ender Find more posts by Nine Ender Add Nine Ender to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Nine Ender
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Unregistered

Funny isn't it. NS curling better, 4 game win streak and up 4-2 vs Homan... who woulda thunk it and who woulda thought you'd want to watch NS play? This is why we play folks...nothing is set in stone.

Nothing is set in stone but a team like R. Homan or J. Jones is competition hardy and not easily phased by temporary setbacks.
It's like Howard and Martin in men's, there are no guarantees they will win but you know they will be close. Homan herself was setting a record percentage after 7 games even though she plays an aggressive game; Miskew has to pick it up clearly her draws are subpar recently.

Either team will likely win the worlds this year for Canada.

02-22-13 03:09PM
Unregistered

Nice Weight Andrea in 3rd end.

NB is playing a raise, if you are doing that it would be nice to "ACTUALLY" throw the right weight. Not even close.

Jones goes to 10-0.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.189.94.13

02-22-13 03:23PM
Unregistered

quote:
Unless JJ has completely changed her ways (and there are signs that she has), chances of her going 11-0 are slim (even though the only teams that stand in her way are NB & Sk).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge JJ fan, but this team has never been able to handle prosperity. They have a long history of throwing games you would never expect them to lose, and of hanging close to teams that they should demolish.

I expect one of NB or Sk to come to play (maybe both) and I expect a significant let-down from the JJ team in general.

As a side-note, they were showing Homan's percentage going into the game with Manitoba as the best for a skip in this event ever (I think it was 87%). Honan has since slipped considerably and JJ has boosted hers to 86%. Although it is unlikely she can maintain her 86% average, I think the best ever is 84%.

So in addition to the perfect 11-0 records, she may just come out of this week with the best ever average by a skip at the Scotties!!

Manitoba sure looks flat ... YAH SURE!!!

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.85.186.225

02-22-13 04:25PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by Tap Back

That is a ridiculous statement!!

Ya you're right... She didn't throw it bad on purpose. Just threw it bad because she's awful.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.224.222.211

02-22-13 05:12PM
Unregistered

Interesting.

Galusha thinks she won the tournament by beating Canada. Shumay needed that one.

Man vs Sask. More important for Shumay than Jones.

ON vs Can. More important for Nedohin than Homan.

Do you think we will see Scott live tonight....again?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 205.189.94.13

02-22-13 05:13PM
dewd is offline Click Here to See the Profile for dewd Click here to Send dewd a Private Message Find more posts by dewd Add dewd to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dewd
Harvey Hacksmasher

Re: Broadcasting Stuff

quote:

TSN Game choice - D (some very poor choices early in the week)

Have to agree with this rating. Not only ended up with some poor games, but the distribution of the teams shown in the feature games has not been terrific.

Assuming that tonights features game is Canada-Ontario, then the top 3 teams will end up with 4 featured games each - reasonable enough. NB ends up with the same number, I guess largely because they've remained alive in the playoff race. On the other hand, SK has only been featured twice, even though they are just as much alive.

But heres what stands out the most for me:
NL & AB will not have been featured once - I thought part of the TSN mandate was to ensure every team gets featured.
NS gets features just as often as the top 3 teams.
BC beats them all, with 5 featured games.

I know some of this ends up happening because of circumstances - like who is still alive in the playoff chase/match-up with most play-off implications, and the match-up that appears most interesting for whatever reason. But some of this also just looks like poor planning or poor analyses of the situation (in my opinion, anyway).

02-22-13 05:13PM
Unregistered

Canada 6-0 could finish 7-4

talk about having the wheels come off

its nice to see saskatchewan fighting all they can for that tiebreaker at least and now the Yukon has done them a favor

They will need to knock off manitoba though

no matter what happens tonight though its been an incredible debut on this stage for jill shumay, she's proven that she belongs here and that her run in saskatchewan was no fluke

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.77.253.19

02-22-13 05:14PM
Unregistered

Re: Interesting.

quote:
Galusha thinks she won the tournament by beating Canada. Shumay needed that one.

Man vs Sask. More important for Shumay than Jones.

ON vs Can. More important for Nedohin than Homan.

Do you think we will see Scott live tonight....again?

no chance at that. The feature game will be one of the 2 you mentioned.

if i had to call it id say ontario v.s canada

02-22-13 05:15PM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

Canada can't even beat Galusha? Good for Galusha! She deserves to feel euphoric.

02-22-13 05:31PM
nelsosi
Swing Artist

Re: Interesting.

quote:

She beat Canada (Amber Holland) last year too.

02-22-13 06:37PM
Unregistered

Seems to me the winner of the 3/4 game became champion last year. MMMBBBEEE it'll happen again.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 96.51.32.250

02-22-13 07:11PM
Wally Curler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Wally Curler Click here to Send Wally Curler a Private Message Find more posts by Wally Curler Add Wally Curler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Wally Curler
Harvey Hacksmasher

I know that all-star selection are based on percentages in the round robin, but here are my picks for all-star teams based on what I saw all week.

http://hurryhardblog.blogspot.ca/20...-all-stars.html

02-22-13 07:32PM
greenroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for greenroad Click here to Send greenroad a Private Message Find more posts by greenroad Add greenroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
greenroad
Drawmaster

quote:
Seems to me the winner of the 3/4 game became champion last year. MMMBBBEEE it'll happen again.

The only person who can beat Jenn Jones this weekend is Jones herself - in the event she goes into one of her playoff swoons.

Last edited by greenroad on 02-22-13 at 07:38PM

02-22-13 07:56PM
Unregistered

quote:
Originally posted by greenroad

The only person who can beat Jenn Jones this weekend is Jones herself - in the event she goes into one of her playoff swoons.

I dont know. A team Ontario curling at 75% of their abilities ran a jenniffer jones curling 94% to within 2. I would be curious to see how that will go in the rematch if Ontario brings their A game this time

all i can say is that if team ontario curling with their B game can run jenniffer close then team ontario playing well is certainly capable of knocking her off

02-22-13 08:39PM
Unregistered

quote:
Some pre- last draw thoughts:

1. Sure would be nice to feature JJ vs. Sask. as JJ is striving for an unbelievable 11-0 finish while Shumway is still alive and kicking for a playoff spot after many wrote her off earlier. The Maidstone Maulers are playing tough Saskabush curling while Jones doesn't get a respite before tomorrow's 1-2 game with Homan.

2. What happened to Heather Nedohin - she was seemingly flying on air the first half of the event but seems to have crashed badly. Any theories?

3. Kelly Scott is a steady-eddy with her Miss Manners approach to curling (the sweety sweets thing) but she can make a ton of shots so long as they're within her limited wheelhouse. Jeanna Shredder has come to play and they have a solid front end, probably the second who can make the widest variety of all shots (draw, touch, taps, run-offs, etc.) in Sash Carter.

4. My guess is that while Jennifer might enjoy going unbeaten in the round-robin she'd be better served by getting off the ice early tonite - either blowing out Sask. or getting blown out herself.

5. The elephant in the room is Jones playoff performances last couple years. She got slithered by Holland in the 2011 final and then lost both the 1-2 and semi-final games at last year's event. Worry is whether Kaityln clams up and/or Officer starts sailing rocks or nose-hitting guards. Legit concern? Perhaps! But the games still have to be played.

Going unbeaten would be a marvellous accomplishment for JJ as she's never done that in her marvellous Scotties career. Crashing and burning in the playoffs - well, thats something she's done and she desperately wants to avoid. Playing to avoid the old crash 'n burn is a hard thing to handle!

2 - she's a lunatic out there and it's finally catching up to her (Nedohin)

Report this post to a moderator | IP: 24.224.222.211