Cihl/Mace Final
Yang/Tian 10  (6)
: NWTCA Mixed
Yellowknife, NT
Teams | Scores | Standings | Playoffs
Draw: 4 -- Sun, Mar 17 -- 10:00am MT
Delorey Final
Koe (5)
Full Scoreboard  |  Play Fantasy Pick'em!  
Disclaimer: CurlingZone does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any Content posted on any Forums area and you acknowledge that any reliance upon such Content shall be at your sole risk. Any Content placed on any Forums area by users and anonymous posters are the views of the user posting the statement, and do not represent the views of CurlingZone or our partners, advertisers or sponsors. By posting anonymously, you are allowing your IP address to be displayed for identification purposes. CurlingZone reserves the right to remove any post at its discretion without warning or explanation.
Page 6 of 10 -- Go to: ««   | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | »»   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread   Post A Reply
03-23-17 12:38PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by misty1
If teams want to support each other I don't see what harm it does. It's about keeping up energy an encouraging each other. Not beyond does it but that's fine

Seems a small thinng to be bothered by

I know I'm not bothered by it. I brought it up because Cheryl finally pointed out just how dumb it is. I get a good laugh every time I see it. "Yup, we just had a really bad shot but let's high five each other." Only some women's teams do this .... no High Fives if Team Homan misses no doubt. They touch BEFORE a shot to encourage each other which makes complete sense. Homan always gets a low five from either Lisa or Joanne on the way to the hack. I get positive re-enforcement and bonding with team mates but to high five after a complete miss is pretty funny. Of course teammates should encourage each other after a miss but it should be verbal or if physical at least not a high five. To each their own but I find it very humorous indeed.

It's funny to imagine any male curlers doing this, even more funny to imagine it in other sports. Say a goalie gives up a crucial goal late in the third period of a playoff game....then imagine the goalie and the defenceman high fiving each other (Cherry would explode and the twitter machine would go crazy wiht a meme), or a wheel changer on a race car teams screws up the pit stop by missing a lug nut and the whole pit crew high fives each other after the car leaves 10 seconds later. Ridiculous.

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

03-23-17 12:40PM
AlanMacNeill is offline Click Here to See the Profile for AlanMacNeill Click here to Send AlanMacNeill a Private Message Find more posts by AlanMacNeill Add AlanMacNeill to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AlanMacNeill
Super Rockchucker

You must hate volleyball and doubles tennis then...they get together after every shot...

it serves a purpose in a team sport, it lets the person who just flubbed know "it's cool, we got your back, we've been there, let's concentrate on the next one".

03-23-17 01:04PM
Three is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Three Click here to Send Three a Private Message Find more posts by Three Add Three to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill
You must hate volleyball and doubles tennis then...they get together after every shot...

it serves a purpose in a team sport, it lets the person who just flubbed know "it's cool, we got your back, we've been there, let's concentrate on the next one".

You are right, I did not think of those sports. Funny how it is "accepted" standard practice in those sports but would be crazy in others. There are other ways of communicating the thoughts of "it's cool, we got your back." The day I see a Ryder Cup alternate shot competitor put one in the drink and then high five his partner the world will end for sure.

03-23-17 01:09PM
Three
Swing Artist

After missing the first free throw basketball players usually reach out and touch the guy who missed but it is not a high five, just a very low hand touch which makes far more sense then a high five. I am used to High Fives being reserved for good plays and this is true in most sports.

03-23-17 02:40PM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Originally posted by Three

I know I'm not bothered by it. I brought it up because Cheryl finally pointed out just how dumb it is. I get a good laugh every time I see it. "Yup, we just had a really bad shot but let's high five each other." Only some women's teams do this .... no High Fives if Team Homan misses no doubt. They touch BEFORE a shot to encourage each other which makes complete sense. Homan always gets a low five from either Lisa or Joanne on the way to the hack. I get positive re-enforcement and bonding with team mates but to high five after a complete miss is pretty funny. Of course teammates should encourage each other after a miss but it should be verbal or if physical at least not a high five. To each their own but I find it very humorous indeed.

It's funny to imagine any male curlers doing this, even more funny to imagine it in other sports. Say a goalie gives up a crucial goal late in the third period of a playoff
game....then imagine the goalie and the defenceman high fiving each other (Cherry would explode and the twitter machine would go crazy wiht a meme), or a wheel changer on a race car teams screws up the pit stop by missing a lug nut and the whole pit crew high fives each other after the car leaves 10 seconds later. Ridiculous.

I don't think it's stupid. Again, it's just a way of saying don't panic, there is still time left kind of thing.

It's all about positive reinforcement and not allowing team mates to get down on themselves after a miss. It's not like there is a lot of time between ends for teams to get together and talk about what just happened

Different things for different teams. An I have seen some men's teams do this

Last edited by misty1 on 03-23-17 at 03:06PM

03-23-17 06:28PM
Deliverer is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Deliverer Click here to Send Deliverer a Private Message Find more posts by Deliverer Add Deliverer to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deliverer
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Deliverer
On March 15th M.L., the Supreme Champion, suggested that this

event breaks down into two groups of 3 teams each.

I would suggest instead the following break down may be more

accurate:

Group 1. Homan & Co.

Group 2. The Field

SO FAR, SO GOOD!

03-24-17 01:42AM
On The Nose is offline Click Here to See the Profile for On The Nose Find more posts by On The Nose Add On The Nose to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
On The Nose
Drawmaster

quote:
Originally posted by AlanMacNeill

I could see it possibly being beneficial to people up to 10 years of age. Possibly 12...
But, beyond that age, it's silly.

It's a product of 'political correctness', which deems honest emotion like anger, upset, and disappointment as being unacceptable, and treats everyone as if they are a feeble child whose emotions are tremendously fragile.

Coddling children is one thing... but this coddling of adults is definitely not the way to build psychologically and emotionally strong people. Quite the opposite.
It's all pop psychology at its worst.

"It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own... but the great man is he who, in the midst of the crowd, keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Last edited by On The Nose on 03-24-17 at 03:24AM

03-24-17 10:52AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

Sidorova was out curled by Homan and company

so it was nothing like the previous game that went to extra end , I think either Sidorova played poorly or she was out smarted by strategy from Homan ? one thing is certain they will have to curl alot better if they want to beat either Scotland or Sweden in three four game full marks for Team Canada , rest up for that gold medal game , WE SHALL SEE

03-24-17 11:13AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

Finally a team with a killer instinct. I was concerned about them at the beginning of the season, but you are all right - its all about peaking at the right time.

Sorry ML, but I think Homan will surpass JJ and should be favoured to win the trials next year.

03-24-17 11:50AM
Three
Swing Artist

quote:
Originally posted by Manitoba Legend

Old Jenny might not even be 2nd favourite after Rachel takes the #1 seed. However, based on reputation JJ will definitely be the 3-seed. Means very little as they still have to play all the other teams. Englot should grab the #2 seed - as she's easily the only current Canadian skip who can stand up to Rachel w/ no panic (JJ & Lawes tend to panic vs. Homan)
Sweeting and McCarville (if Krista has sufficient pts to qualify) should round out the Top 5.

Why do you think reputation or anything other than the fact below will determine seeding in Ottawa ?

From Curling Canada's website:

Once the seven teams have been identified, they will be seeded 1-7 for the Trials based on their CTRS results for the 2016-17. The teams from the Pre-Trials will be seeded #8 and #9.

Current CTRS points are:
1 Rachel Homan (Ontario) 402.019
2 Jennifer Jones (Manitoba) 354.482
3 Allison Flaxey (Ontario) 308.877
4 Val Sweeting (Alberta) 278.879
5 Casey Scheidegger (Alberta) 271.591
6 Michelle Englot (Manitoba) 264.412
7 Tracy Fleury (Northern Ontario) 201.515
8 Chelsea Carey (Alberta) 189.416

Really belongs in the ROTR Women's thread, as this has little to do with the 2017 World's.

03-24-17 11:59AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

This thread has been mostly other than women's worlds.

03-25-17 05:20AM
Western Newbie is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Western Newbie Click here to Send Western Newbie a Private Message Find more posts by Western Newbie Add Western Newbie to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Western Newbie
Hitting Paint

3-4 page playoff

Muirhead did not dominate. Kind of hard to watch them still struggling with the ice in the 9th end. I would expect them as the more seasoned pros to get it earlier. Well played Anna and team.

03-25-17 07:35AM
Jeff Breeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Breeze Click here to Send Jeff Breeze a Private Message Find more posts by Jeff Breeze Add Jeff Breeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Breeze
Harvey Hacksmasher

Russia has rejiggered their lineup again after that page loss to Homan. They've kept Kovaleva in but moved her up to lead, restored Raeva at second and put Ezekh on the bench next to the coaches. Switching things up worked wonders for them in the round robin, we'll see how it works against Hasselborg....

... meanwhile we're struggling through watching this stuff in the States as the coverage here has merely been on the NBCSN app where they relay World Curling TV's feed with no announcers at all. It's been a challenge to get more as none of the proxy servers support YouTube streams, and the only English we get is in the post-match skip interviews or when Sidorova calls a timeout and talks to their coach (anyone know who this is? It used to be Rodger Schmidt, but I can't tell who this is, and no one is captioning it to tell me)

03-25-17 08:20AM
Three
Swing Artist

The Russian coach is Daniel Rafael from Montreal. He has coached Chins/Turkey/Czech/Turkey.

03-25-17 09:11AM
sternwheeler is offline Click Here to See the Profile for sternwheeler Click here to Send sternwheeler a Private Message Find more posts by sternwheeler Add sternwheeler to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sternwheeler
Swing Artist

Russia just took a three ender on Sweden to

pull ahead in the 7th end, looks very much like a rematch game against Homan. Something I wish to comment on is on Sweden's skip Hasselborn 'ritual" of cleaning her rock, and slider before she is set in the hack to throw her stone...DOES she always do this routine I mean wiping your slider seems a little over the top redundant to me

03-25-17 09:29AM
misty1 is offline Click Here to See the Profile for misty1 Click here to Send misty1 a Private Message Find more posts by misty1 Add misty1 to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
misty1
Supreme Champion!

should be a really good final. I hope its more like the round robin game the 2 had than the page playoff. that round robin game was one of the best womens games i've ever seen. russia and canada just kept trading blows

03-25-17 09:30AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

quote:
Misty's favorite player, Little Anna Sloan really desecrated the ice in Scotland's game vs. Sweden.

If I were Coach OldGlenny I'd be personally recommending Terrible Anna be dropped from the team - and Lauren Gray be tested at 3rd.

Muirhed can simply not win with a 3rd like that.

i trust you are being sarcastic when saying that, because i've never defended anna sloan

03-25-17 09:31AM
misty1
Supreme Champion!

what i think the final podium will look like:

1. canada
2. russia
3. scotland

03-25-17 09:32AM
curlerbroad is offline Click Here to See the Profile for curlerbroad Click here to Send curlerbroad a Private Message Find more posts by curlerbroad Add curlerbroad to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
curlerbroad
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Misty's favorite player, Little Anna Sloan really desecrated the ice in Scotland's game vs. Sweden.

If I were Coach OldGlenny I'd be personally recommending Terrible Anna be dropped from the team - and Lauren Gray be tested at 3rd.

Muirhed can simply not win with a 3rd like that.

Good point. Curling is a team sport! Watch out Canada Russia looked pretty good against Sweden...although Sweden curled like a Wednesday night newbie league team!

03-25-17 09:34AM
nelski is offline Click Here to See the Profile for nelski Find more posts by nelski Add nelski to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nelski
Super Rockchucker

Whomp! Whomp! So, Swe Sco go for Bronze and Cda gets the Russian rematch. I like team Homan's odds but there is always that "unknown" factor with the Russian squad(s). The off-ice mind games. I like what the Canadian coach has done with our champions. I give him credit for their improvements. He is our off-ice weapon. Go Canada Go.

03-25-17 09:41AM
Jeff Breeze is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Jeff Breeze Click here to Send Jeff Breeze a Private Message Find more posts by Jeff Breeze Add Jeff Breeze to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jeff Breeze
Harvey Hacksmasher

Hasselborg goes into the 5th end break knotting the score at 3-3 and looking strong and then just ran empty. After giving up that 3 in the 7th, she hit and then snuck through a port that no one would have considered as such and instead of taking her one gave up the steal of 3 and it was all handshakes. Looks like Russia is her kryptonite no matter which team it is (see also Euro Finals). This is her first year wearing the blue and yellow, and I suspect this has been a heck of a learning experience for them, like everyone here, their real target is next February in Korea.

Sidorova looked stronger than anyone expected, but in truth no one knew just what to expect since they'd been locked in training most of the season and not out on the ice in many major competitions. It's amazing to see a team rotate its lineup so much at Worlds, but they really are still getting their game legs on. Now I'm cheering them in the final just for the chance to see them meet up with Moiseeva at the Humpty's Tournament of Champions. Given how strong they showed in the round robin against Homan, we'll see if they've learned from the page playoff loss and have it in them... though they do certainly need to play better than they did today.

03-25-17 09:50AM
Ajay is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Ajay Click here to Send Ajay a Private Message Find more posts by Ajay Add Ajay to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ajay
Drawmaster

Since the bronze game is not slated for tsn, is there anywhere to stream from?

03-25-17 09:56AM
Jeff Breeze
Harvey Hacksmasher

re: the Anna Sloan conundrum

She did have a bad game in the 3v4 page, and is the target of more vitriol on this site than any other curler, except maybe John Shuster. Her numbers are skewed down with that picked rock that got hogged too. The usually reliable Vicki Adams had even worse numbers in the game though, which never helps a third.

Truth is her ties to Muirhead run deep. Not only have she and Eve been playing together for ages, but her boyfriend is in the family too. As un-PC as this statement may be, the Glenn that has the most potential impact on this decision isn't Howard... the only thing I see that would get her off the team is if Glen Muirhead gets her pregnant.

That said the best Scottish third isn't playing for Scotland because her dad pulled an 'Alison Kreviazuk' and moved to Sweden and got married. Despite today's effort Sarah McManus has had an outstanding season and would look as good in the blue and white as she does in the blue and yellow.

03-25-17 10:03AM
Beermaker is offline Click Here to See the Profile for Beermaker Click here to Send Beermaker a Private Message Find more posts by Beermaker Add Beermaker to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Beermaker
Drawmaster

It should be on Youtube, I think 10:00 tonight, if in doubt check the World Curling Federation site.

03-25-17 10:10AM
decade is offline Click Here to See the Profile for decade Click here to Send decade a Private Message Find more posts by decade Add decade to your buddy list Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
decade
Super Rockchucker

quote:
Originally posted by Ajay
Since the bronze game is not slated for tsn, is there anywhere to stream from?

http://www.worldcurling.org/wwcc2017